Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Fool posted:

which season has Neal McDonough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
5 has loving michael rappaport which automatically makes it the worst

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
scanned the wiki, doesnt seem like it'd grab me

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

watch the opening of episode one and if that doesn't interest you then fair enough

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'll make it easy: https://youtu.be/Ho2_c_LGZfk

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

actually, try this scene too
https://youtu.be/C-1vL0mUkfM

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

qirex posted:

danny mcbride, get this, plays a character who thinks he's a super cool badass party guy who makes tons of 80s pop culture references and pretends to know martial arts but is actually a big loser and failson. huge departure for him, I know

the show is actually pretty good except it overuses a few jokes

its insane how he has managed to play this character for 3 shows now, all of which are super good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

vice principles and eastbound and down are so good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

justified is a good show but it's just regular old fun tv. it can't step to, idk, the wire or the first season of true detective. and to be clear it's not trying to - just make sure to set your expectations appropriately

i think we watched a season or two and just kinda never came back to it. nothing wrong with it, but 🤷‍♀️

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Gnossiennes posted:

edi patterson is the real star of the show

iirc shes also a writer. shes teh best

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh i finished the samurai trilogy recently. it was pretty good, but nothing special really. it's not in the same league as kurosawa or harakiri, is more of a "real movie" than zatoichi or (especially) lone wolf and cub. i'm glad i watched it because they're considered classics that i now have a opinion on, but i can't imagine watching them again. if they weren't sort of touchstones of samurai cinema, they wouldn't have been worth a trilogy (though any of the three would definitely be worth a watch, if that makes sense)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

justified is great but a lot of episodes are just "lets watch raylan be a badass again"

also his hat is dumb

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Roosevelt posted:

justified is great but a lot of episodes are just "lets watch raylan be a badass again"

also his hat is dumb

its great because he's so bad at at his job

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I had to relate justified to another show I’d say it reminds me of dexter. not what it’s about but the framework of a srs business crime show and then just the most ridiculous possible poo poo happens pretty much every episode. also good acting managing to overcome some hammy scripts and good villains

similar vibes, if you will

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

also his hat is dumb

the gently caress you say

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bump_fn posted:

its great because he's so bad at at his job

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

silo is kinda terrible, but i think i'm going to keep watching it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
watch justified instead

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i just spent like three months in kentucky. no.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm watching Renfield with nick cage and it's "good". it's amazingly 2000s aesthetic

it's a movie to watch while you pass out on the couch and the DVD menu starts looping

sometimes you have a way of describing things that fully sells me on it

imo dracula 2000 was great for what it was

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i just spent like three months in kentucky. no.

and you got out alive?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh oh ok i watched those two clips. this is one of those USA shows or w/e yeah i gotcha. i for some reason thought it was like more prestigey

wont poo poo on it but ya not for me

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not convinced that the term "prestige tv" has any meaning

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mystes posted:

I'm not convinced that the term "prestige tv" has any meaning

used to mean “boobs in most episodes” but now it mostly just means “lots of swearing and occasional cigarettes”

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

oh oh ok i watched those two clips. this is one of those USA shows or w/e yeah i gotcha. i for some reason thought it was like more prestigey

wont poo poo on it but ya not for me

fx but yah from the same era

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress I love danny mcbride

https://youtu.be/zTSt4NoMUY8

the best delivery of anything in cinema? maybe

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
bring back silly tv like starsgate sg-1 and atlantis

also those dumb fun usa network shows like 'the invisible man' and 'weird science'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

there’s lower decks

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s lower decks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

psiox posted:

bring back silly tv like starsgate sg-1 and atlantis

also those dumb fun usa network shows like 'the invisible man' and 'weird science'

is that the invisible man that was on sci-fi channel eventually? i remember that being not too serious fun

anyways, atlantis was my favorite stargate; pure distilled sg adventures in an alien setting with warrior poets fighting space vampires. it was a fun watch and it wasn't trying to be heady and heavy all the time

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s lower decks

:hmmyes:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

first season of resident alien had that eureka/warehouse 13 feel

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sga is the best stargate because they nailed the balance of adventure and comedy. shepard is like kirk + han solo, mckay is rear end in a top hat spock, and ronon is chewbacca. its great

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y'all are doin a pretty good job of selling me on stargate. i always enjoyed it when i'd catch an episode back in the day

i should watch farscape again too

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was going to watch stargate SG1 and then noticed the 1080p complete series was like 550gb lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i watched most of sg1 when it was on netflix still because a friend said i'd like it, and he was right

haven't watched atlantis at all but, i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the problem is SG1 doesnt have a good release. the best official video quality is on the blu ray where the studio did an upscale. It looks significantly better than the dvds, but the audio is total poo poo cause they hosed up the channel mix.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

sga is the best stargate because they nailed the balance of adventure and comedy. shepard is like kirk + han solo, mckay is rear end in a top hat spock, and ronon is chewbacca. its great

SG doesn’t get better than RDA hamming it up in the earlier seasons. I think too many people are remembering SG-1 after the like 3rd time they wrote a series finale

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

used to mean “boobs in most episodes” but now it mostly just means “lots of swearing and occasional cigarettes”
for me it means "deliberate pacing" (i.e. slow as balls)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

"movie budget but no editing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“one incredibly expensive set plus a bunch of vancouver/croatia”