Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What sort of industry do you work in, wizardry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

any reason why you wouldn't stack two ultrawides e.g., 2x 49"?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
. . . and here I was impressed with my setup.

What a fool I was.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ziasquinn posted:

oh yeah this thread exists

Get a low profile mic arm imo

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inept posted:

Get a low profile mic arm imo

What is a low profile mic arm? I also hate mine.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

What is a low profile mic arm? I also hate mine.

You can make the arm stay below your field of view when using monitors

Elgato makes one for $100 that I've liked fine

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ziasquinn posted:

oh yeah this thread exists

How do you manage to get MacOS to now throw a fit with that many screens?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Inept posted:

This honestly looks like it could sneak up over your shoulder and surprise you if you looked too far towards it haha.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

bredfrown posted:

Not pictured: I picked up an MX Master 3S to replace the Magic Mouse.

A bit of a late response, but I am looking at standing desks and this one looks like exactly what I want. Which is it?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i suspect that is a VIVO desk frame with an aftermarket top

and if it isn't, get that anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

-New desktop: Fractal North, Ryzen 7900X, 32GB DDR5, WD SN850X 2TB, Corsair RM850x, probably keeping my 1070 until it dies bc the GPU market is a shitshow.
-UGREEN USB 3.0 switch so I'm not juggling 2 sets of keyboards and mice for work laptop vs personal desktop. This one came to my attention for sponsoring a Linus Tech Tips video lol.
-Put up some 300mm silicon wafers as wall art from my time as an electrical engineer
-Got my first mouse mat. This has a time zone world map which is both useful and should hide wear/stains.

Still need to figure out cable management. I could attach a J channel to the underside of my desk but I don't want to commit until I've made a decision about monitor arms since it could interfere with how I mount the arm(s).

Someone left some Klipsch KG1.2 speakers from the early 90s in the freebie area of my building. They sound good though not noticeably better than my current Klipsch satellites, and I have no idea where I would put them and they're kinda overkill for a desktop.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 16, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Josh Lyman posted:

Someone left some Klipsch KG1.2 speakers from the early 90s in the freebie area of my building. They sound good though not noticeably better than my current Klipsch satellites, and I have no idea where I would put them and they're kinda overkill for a desktop.

bedroom setup, kitchen, den, garage or porch if you’re careful and it’s mostly enclosed, bathroom, office at work, etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

-New desktop: Fractal North, Ryzen 7900X, 32GB DDR5, WD SN850X 2TB, Corsair RM850x, probably keeping my 1070 until it dies bc the GPU market is a shitshow.
-UGREEN USB 3.0 switch so I'm not juggling 2 sets of keyboards and mice for work laptop vs personal desktop. This one came to my attention for sponsoring a Linus Tech Tips video lol.
-Put up some 300mm silicon wafers as wall art from my time as an electrical engineer
-Got my first mouse mat. This has a time zone world map which is both useful and should hide wear/stains.

Still need to figure out cable management. I could attach a J channel to the underside of my desk but I don't want to commit until I've made a decision about monitor arms since it could interfere with how I mount the arm(s).

I think the GPU situation is resolved, haven't they been selling at basically MSRP for about six months? You might be able to pick something up at a good price. At this point I'd almost wait for the 50xx cards though I guess.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here is the updated "desktop" photo with the new 4090 4k-centric PC done.
Ryzen 7950x, GeForce RTX 4090, etc etc and a ton of consoles modded to read from SD cards in various ways.

I call it the "play anything" setup, but my consoles rack is still in the rearranging phase, so only about 1/3rd of them are actually plugged in right now. As well as my speaker config. Most of my sound either comes from headphones or the front towers+rear surround towers in dual stereo mode. Both my center channel speaker and the bookshelves on stands are ineffective due to positioning. The CRT also is one that doesn't have built in speakers, but rather posts that are hooked up to other bookshelf speakers in the stand it rests on that are powered and don't need their own amp. Seems like my dinosaur console collection focus has gone way up in the last 3 or so years, but my audiophile bullshit focus has gone way down.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BabyRyoga posted:

Ryzen 7950x, GeForce RTX 4090, etc etc and a ton of consoles modded to read from SD cards in various ways.

I call it the "play anything" setup, but my consoles rack is still in the rearranging phase, so only about 1/3rd of them are actually plugged in right now. As well as my speaker config. Most of my sound either comes from headphones or the front towers+rear surround towers in dual stereo mode. Both my center channel speaker and the bookshelves on stands are ineffective due to positioning. The CRT also is one that doesn't have built in speakers, but rather posts that are hooked up to other bookshelf speakers in the stand it rests on that are powered and don't need their own amp. Seems like my dinosaur console collection focus has gone way up in the last 3 or so years, but my audiophile bullshit focus has gone way down.
Ragnarok(?) spotted

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Inept posted:

omfg I will. thanks for the tip. it's been making me crazy.

champagne posting posted:

How do you manage to get MacOS to now throw a fit with that many screens?

oh sorry this is actually Arch Linux with GNOME, but I have a 3080 with 4 monitor outputs and I use a displaylink dock (dell 6000 series) to run the last 2. Displaylink adapters work OK too but hog USB ports. (also do not rotate displaylink screens it makes them laggy as gently caress)

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

BabyRyoga posted:

What monitor shelf is that? I've been looking for one and everything I've found on Amazon is like 52" because that's the standard or something.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I was cooking tonight and realized I basically have another home office in my kitchen:

Left to right:

Lenovo Mini PC running Dakboard, morning traffic schedule, weather, etc, also has a Chromecast with Google TV for Hulu Live TV, YouTube, whatever. Lenovo 10" Google Display, music, photos, etc. Finally Panasonic ToughPad that lives in a dock, Full Windows 10, IP65 rating, never done it but you could technically, rinse it off in the sink from kitchen messes. Also super bright to bring out to the backyard.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 11, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That screen above the stove has gotta be so gross, why would you do that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Why do any of it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I was cooking tonight and realized I basically have another home office in my kitchen:

Left to right:

Lenovo Mini PC running Dakboard, morning traffic schedule, weather, etc, also has a Chromecast with Google TV for Hulu Live TV, YouTube, whatever. Lenovo 10" Google Display, music, photos, etc. Finally Panasonic ToughPad that lives in a dock, Full Windows 10, IP65 rating, never done it but you could technically, rinse it off in the sink from kitchen messes. Also super bright to bring out to the backyard. Very expensive, Douglas.
\

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Three Olives posted:

Left to right:

Lenovo Mini PC running Dakboard, morning traffic schedule, weather, etc, also has a Chromecast with Google TV for Hulu Live TV, YouTube, whatever. Lenovo 10" Google Display, music, photos, etc. Finally Panasonic ToughPad that lives in a dock, Full Windows 10, IP65 rating, never done it but you could technically, rinse it off in the sink from kitchen messes. Also super bright to bring out to the backyard.

:kiss:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

It's perfectly clean, in fact, all of the house is spotless, what and how are you cooking that you think the TV would get dirty? It's a range, not a wok station.

I did it because there was nowhere else to put it in our circa 1940s kitchen until we do some renovation and like many people, I like to watch TV in the kitchen when I am cooking, which I do several times a week. The range and hood are placeholders until we have some wiring done to put in an induction range, at which point the hood will be replaced and I will probably move the TV into the cabinetry.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Three Olives posted:

It's perfectly clean, in fact,

oh yeah, totally

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Three Olives posted:

It's perfectly clean, in fact, all of the house is spotless

Mods, please, thrread title

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

frogbs posted:

Clean freak, 5 HEPA filters, use a MERV 13 air filter, run the dishwasher daily, sink disinfected, Roomba mops the kitchen every day, vacuums the entire house and mops the floor twice, three times a week, pest control quarterly on the dot, even the cat box is in closet with a sealing cat door.

If that TV was dirty, the contractor would be here tomorrow to install it into the cabinets.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That sounds like a cool desk thanks for posting about it I guess.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That sounds like a cool desk thanks for posting about it I guess.

I honestly actually do use it as an ancillary office space, especially during COVID it basically functioned as a standing desk and a change of scenery, video calls with family felt much more natural from the kitchen at a camera and display at standing level, the tablet has 800 nits, so it is actually useable if I want to use a work from home day to actually work on our back patio, I can work on work emails with a giant cooking mess in the kitchen without worrying about breaking my main tablet, a 12 Pro.

Just thought I would share it as a different type of working space, if I had the space I would absolutely have a better TV space and a kitchen office nook with an colorful iMac, but we live in a older home and this was the best solution that I could come up with to have a functional space to do work while cooking dinner.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Three Olives posted:

Clean freak, 5 HEPA filters, use a MERV 13 air filter, run the dishwasher daily, sink disinfected, Roomba mops the kitchen every day, vacuums the entire house and mops the floor twice, three times a week, pest control quarterly on the dot, even the cat box is in closet with a sealing cat door.

If that TV was dirty, the contractor would be here tomorrow to install it into the cabinets.

You have someone come and spray neurotoxins in your home 4x/year? Huh!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

frogbs posted:

No; better thread title would be ‘Post your (actual) Stovetops’

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I only clean my stove top when someone's coming over because... well it being dirty makes zero difference to anything :unsmigghh: (And it takes like literally a minute because it's a stove.)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Three Olives posted:

yeah that TV is still gross, sorry to break it to you OP

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
love that you’re turning your home into a stationary Restoration Hardware USS Enterprise

G(ay)roverhaus

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Please forgive the current state of my cables. I need to do some work in that department.

I’m a big fan of a cheap 4k tv as a main display, as I don’t do much gaming at all but like a lot of screen real estate for spreadsheets and other lame adult things.

I built this desk during Covid from an L shaped tri motor monoprice base and a single motor base, with three matching 6’ tabletop sections.

My office is a loft in our bedroom, and we use it as our retreat/tv room after the kids go to bed. The center channel speaker is usually mounted to the wall under the tv, and it’s exposed when we drop the desk down to its lowest setting for tv time. I have it on the desk for now because I’m buying new mounting hardware.

Stuff:
Lenovo p1
Cheap TCL 55” 4k
Pair of HP 27” 1080P

I really love this setup. My office-office has a similar setup with a 50” 4k tv and two 27”, though I run one in portrait mode.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Three Olives posted:

Left to right:

Looks good! I see an empty spot on that side wall that could hold a TV.

Family left an older 55" TV at my place which is just collecting dust. Thinking about buying a remote and some feet for it, then using it as a miscellaneous device in the office. Watch youtube piano tutorials, sports streams etc...

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Splurged at Microcenter today and got two ASUS monitors & the PowerSpec desktop with 4070. Super happy with the Fezibo L-Shaped electric standing desk, working from home these last 2 years has taken a toll. I think being able to now stand up whenever I want to and raise the desk will help a lot.
This is the setup I'm trying out first, my work laptop on the right with a monitor they gave me. I didn't really want to use the work laptop on the same monitors as the desktop. I might switch the vertical ASUS to the right side of the main monitor as well.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

knox posted:

Splurged at Microcenter today and got two ASUS monitors & the PowerSpec desktop with 4070. Super happy with the Fezibo L-Shaped electric standing desk, working from home these last 2 years has taken a toll. I think being able to now stand up whenever I want to and raise the desk will help a lot.
This is the setup I'm trying out first, my work laptop on the right with a monitor they gave me. I didn't really want to use the work laptop on the same monitors as the desktop. I might switch the vertical ASUS to the right side of the main monitor as well.

Nice! I have a Powerspec desktop with the 6700k + 970 from 2016, still running strong. I wish I still had a MicroCenter around me. :cloud:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

knox posted:

I worked from home last year with a work laptop, I highly recommend using a monitor splitter (with a button you press to decide if signal to monitor is from your PC or laptop) to get signal from the laptop to the monitors, and to use a USB switch so that you can use your keyboard and mouse to connect to the desktop. These were massive improvements for me.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

VelociBacon posted:

I worked from home last year with a work laptop, I highly recommend using a monitor splitter (with a button you press to decide if signal to monitor is from your PC or laptop) to get signal from the laptop to the monitors, and to use a USB switch so that you can use your keyboard and mouse to connect to the desktop. These were massive improvements for me.

I ended up not going for one of those because it seemed like a good one that supports a high refresh rate was stupid expensive? Either way you don't need that if your monitor has multiple inputs.

I have both my monitors connected to my pc and laptop dock. Both monitors have 2 inputs. I have the input selection on the monitors set to auto. When I turn off my pc and open my laptop the monitors switch to those inputs.

If you want both of them on for some reason just turn on the one you want the displays on first. As long as the display port currently active is being used it won't swap over. At least with my monitors.

I do have a cheap usb switch with a button to swap all my peripherals to whichever computer I'm using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Resdfru posted:

I ended up not going for one of those because it seemed like a good one that supports a high refresh rate was stupid expensive?

This is exactly why I did not get one; I googled switches needed and it seemed like it couldn't support over 60hz/2K for the regular ones so I didn't look any further. Especially because I didn't really want to connect both to same monitor anyways so that one reason made me just try this first.