Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is the new UI good enough to not have to mod it now or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm already used to the UI Overhaul Dynamic mod but if a tenth of this stuff is in the main UI now I might just get rid of that too

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What’s new is good I think, but there’s still more to get to. I’m still going to use the trusty Overhaul Dynamic + Tiny Outliner because things just often aren’t the size I want them to be.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I actually forgot one of the reasons i stick with the UI Overhaul is font size in some windows, since I play on my laptop too it's nice to be able to read things on situation popups or w/e

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

AG3 posted:

I'm guessing it's the ruler who can't be assigned to a science ship even if they are a scientist. At least a governor ruler can't be assigned to a planet like normal governors, and I'd assume the same thing would go for an admiral and general ruler.
It is, yeah. Scientist leaders can't be assigned to ships because they're already permanently assigned to leading.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The new bombardment calculation is a huge buff to Nihilistic Acquisition which is nice. Even 70 corvettes will strip a world bare in a few months.

Staltran posted:

Did the Sentinels also get kicked to space? If so, were they still hostile to you?

Nope, just vanished into the ether.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Is the new UI good enough to not have to mod it now or what?

It still needs a small mode for the outliner, and the special resources being hidden under a sub menu is also bullshit, so I would recommend a UI mod when they are updated.

This is a drat nice trait

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I know folks are still testing out the waters with Galactic Paragons, but how does it compare to First Contact?

I'm itching for Stellaris and figured I'd buy one of the expacs for fresh content, depending on thread opinions.

Anno
May 10, 2017

DarkLich posted:

I know folks are still testing out the waters with Galactic Paragons, but how does it compare to First Contact?

I'm itching for Stellaris and figured I'd buy one of the expacs for fresh content, depending on thread opinions.

I think I like FC more than most but it's hard not to recommend GP more. The new systems for leveling up and specializing your leaders is excellent and this adds so, so much to it, as well as a bit of new unique content stuff.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The only thing I don't like with the new DLC is that it feels like it makes the Aptitude tree mandatory now. The nice thing is that with all the new +anomaly chance bonus mods, I no longer feel like Discovery is mandatory for Map the Stars.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Anno posted:

What’s new is good I think, but there’s still more to get to. I’m still going to use the trusty Overhaul Dynamic + Tiny Outliner because things just often aren’t the size I want them to be.

Boggles my mind that Tiny Outliner is still required.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's baffling frankly. They've given us so many other good Outliner options.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

binge crotching posted:

The only thing I don't like with the new DLC is that it feels like it makes the Aptitude tree mandatory now. The nice thing is that with all the new +anomaly chance bonus mods, I no longer feel like Discovery is mandatory for Map the Stars.

Yeah there's been a massive inflation of tradition trees with the last few xpacks and I don't like it, especially since most of the new ones are kind of oddball and situational at best.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/XbuLpuj7eO8

Montu has a Void Dwellers build that rushes -90% ship build costs.

Get in now in case they fix it

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jabarto posted:

Yeah there's been a massive inflation of tradition trees with the last few xpacks and I don't like it, especially since most of the new ones are kind of oddball and situational at best.

I like having a lot of options, but like you said the new trees are situational whereas most of the original trees are way more powerful in general. There needs to be more consideration of relative power for the traditions. Or a rework to split them into major/minor options where you can take 1 major or 2 minors or something like that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Variation is good?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah ever since they made the change to allow you to choose between the bunch of them I say bring on as many trees as makes sense. I love the mods that add in way more trees, even.

Might be time for a balance pass of the base trees though. Discovery feels even stronger now because the leader experience actually matters and it has more there than even the leader tree.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
more trees is great because it makes my empires more different

or would, if many of the original trees weren't so generalist they apply to everything you do, and are thus no-brainer picks, and then all the niche ones like spy tree never get taken

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

To be fair, you don't take the spy tree not because the spy tree is bad, but because the espionage is bad.
It'll be useful once the Custodians get to the espionage mechanic.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, aside from Guilli's planet modifiers, the two mod types I'm most attached to are extra traditions/ascension perks and extra ethics. There's definitely a "too many" traditions, but it's way past where it currently is in the base game for me. I'm glad they started adding extras--back when you ended up getting almost all the traditions every game just because there were so few, it sucked most of the versatility and customization from the system.

Anno
May 10, 2017

You can even use this mod if you want tradition trees within your tradition trees. I really like it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Anno posted:

You can even use this mod if you want tradition trees within your tradition trees. I really like it.

Oooooo!

I love adding more roleplay nonsense. I was alarmed to see how many 'subscribed items' I had and then I realised most of them were namelists.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm trying to report a new bug on the Paradox forums but can't because the Paradox forums are giving me server errors. Seems about right

EDIT: And though I posted this in the wrong thread, no one is the wiser.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 11, 2023

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just so everyone knows, its a Paradox sale on Steam right now. Almost all the DLC are 50% (exceptions are Overlord and GP).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just so everyone knows, its a Paradox sale on Steam right now. Almost all the DLC are 50% (exceptions are Overlord and GP).
FC? Might pick it up at half price...

Anno
May 10, 2017

The last 5 expansions aren’t on sale, interestingly. Except through the ultimate bundle.

Edit: except on some key sites. Looks like 16% off ok Gamebillet is current the best offer for FC.

Anno fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 11, 2023

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
So if you’re playing a multi-sector empire, should you just make sectors with no governors? Are you expected to just have one or two governors total? It seems wild to go from a governor in every sector to this.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, governors are the big loss for me in the leadership slot wars.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Leader cap seems like the kind of thing that bigger empires are supposed to be going over, and maybe by a decent amount. Some of the DDs seemed like they were trying to give you extra incentives for player denser or with more vassals.

That said once the survey rush is over I only feel like I need like 3-4 scientists so there’s room for 4-5 governors and then a few admirals.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The hardest choice when I start a new game is if I'm going to play my usual Rogue Servitors or do Some Weirder poo poo. Guess it's Weird poo poo for this expansion

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Not going to spoil anything but the Under One Rule origin seems really, really cool so far.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yami Fenrir posted:

Not going to spoil anything but the Under One Rule origin seems really, really cool so far.

Yeah, and it seems to be worth it to replay it at least once. They did a really good job with that origin.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yami Fenrir posted:

I created a new Doofenschmirtz Evil Incorporated empire with Under One Rule. Going full Technocracy and science leaders.

Every time Supreme Galactic Ruler Heinz Doofenschmirtz appears on every screen, I picture him opening with "BEHOLD!"

Edit: I forgot to mention that the AI spawned a platypus empire right next door and we're best frenemies. We don't like each other but we share a lot of rivals. It's perfect.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zelah posted:

So if you’re playing a multi-sector empire, should you just make sectors with no governors? Are you expected to just have one or two governors total? It seems wild to go from a governor in every sector to this.
I don’t see any reason to make sectors at all.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Admittedly I'm playing fanatic spiritualists, but I'm like six leaders over the limit and still blasting unity in every direction.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I think the expectation is to not have 4+ science ships now, since the AI also doesn't. Almost like you have to change your playstyle in the face of new mechanics or something. :iiam:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Danaru posted:

Admittedly I'm playing fanatic spiritualists, but I'm like six leaders over the limit and still blasting unity in every direction.
I think it's less the cost and more they restrict how fast they level.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I only ever ran 3 science ships at most because I hated micromanaging more than that :shrug:

Anno
May 10, 2017

The leader cap AP seems like a pretty good early pick, so it's not even that hard to have 5-6 scientists running around if that's what you want to focus on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Needing to cut back on science ships in the same patch they added a bunch of really solid automation options to them is pretty funny though :v:

I barely pay attention to them any more. It's great! Just... Don't let your science councillor wander off into the dark corners of the galaxy to get eaten by a surprise Stellarite Devourer or something like I did