Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

ah that's the film look I'm after

indeed

on another note.. someone said this about me :

tfw you’re not totally poo poo :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My brother picked up some ancient cheapo fully auto film camera and a lot of the shots look great, despite neither of us being good at photography or putting much effort in. I think maybe it goes wrong in a much more forgiving way than digital?

e: wish I had a more confident pose in this, the path went forwards then left around the rock and wasn't nearly as exposed as the shot makes it look

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
old point and shoots own. i don't think there's anything broadly similar these days; you pretty much get polar extremes of quality and price, and the whole segment has been supplanted by phones anyway. i guess it comes down to their intended use cases?

a phone camera today is basically on the level of a mid-tier digital point and shoot from like 15 years ago. that's fine i guess because that's what they were mostly intended to replace but they didn't really succeed at this until recently

at the same time i think 135 point and shoots were intended to replace SLRs or bridges for most people and needed to be similar enough in quality. imo they did eventually meet that goal (nobody is going to say a 70s instamatic is going to rival either one, but a late 80s-early 90s compact nikon kinda does)

e: lol i should not write posts while talking on the phone

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 28, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
autun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also drat I love the 4 star flter thing I have on lens

also this rock taunted me and my lack of

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nice colors

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou. the lens turns autumn leafage into such a glorious fuckin mash of bright-brown. I added some blue to the shadows for a creative edge

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Beeftweeter posted:

old point and shoots own. i don't think there's anything broadly similar these days; you pretty much get polar extremes of quality and price, and the whole segment has been supplanted by phones anyway. i guess it comes down to their intended use cases?

a phone camera today is basically on the level of a mid-tier digital point and shoot from like 15 years ago. that's fine i guess because that's what they were mostly intended to replace but they didn't really succeed at this until recently

at the same time i think 135 point and shoots were intended to replace SLRs or bridges for most people and needed to be similar enough in quality. imo they did eventually meet that goal (nobody is going to say a 70s instamatic is going to rival either one, but a late 80s-early 90s compact nikon kinda does)

e: lol i should not write posts while talking on the phone

i guess film p&s at least had the same "sensor" as a fancy SLR even if the lens wasn't as hot. i don't think any phone is packing silicon comparable to an entry level dslr or mirrorless

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

big scary monsters posted:

i guess film p&s at least had the same "sensor" as a fancy SLR even if the lens wasn't as hot. i don't think any phone is packing silicon comparable to an entry level dslr or mirrorless

yeah, phones do not rival those and they probably won't ever. even a micro four thirds sensor would be way too big to ever squeeze into a phone unless it were literally built around it or something

i don't think they'll ever truly be on par with something like aps-c. the sensors are just too small, even though sensitivity improvements at the same size are very real (mft looked pretty terrible at first and imo today manages to keep up with lower-end aps-c)

otoh i remember i picked up a pretty goddamn compact aps point and shoot yashica for about $30 in like 1998. that thing took loving incredible pics for its size and price

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah that's why people still love film GRs so much. Stick a decent enough lens in front of good sized film in a tiny body. I had a cheapo 35mm point and shoot in high school and as long as the light was good it took some great pictures.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

for the theme of 'hard light' in the dorkroom

also presenting: snek

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extremely good poo poo my friend

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bee

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

both nice

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

moody bike shot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i like that photo. kinda hosed up but it’s true

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

moth

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

augh lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cool moth

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've been takin a lot of snapshots. i got a telephoto zoom for my g95 cause the adapted one wasn't yielding results i liked. it's pretty great! i now have all the lenses i want for m43. id still hypothetically like a full frame mirrorless, but im too pleased with my current setup for it to be worth it. i've also mostly gone to shooting in jpeg mode except when i'm specifically going for artsy stuff.

anyway, i've taken lots of photos and hope to actually post some one of these days. that's my photography story thanks for reading

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can post whatever you want. Watch, here's my breakfast

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah but i'm not gonna post a picture of my son playin baseball

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You know what? That's completely reasonable

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Take a picture of your next breakfast and post it instead of your family

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

will do! :D

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

take photos of your house keys, or take photos of stickers, trees, and posts

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
drat that tree is gnarly as hell, nice find

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i love big weird trees. i saw one a couple weeks ago but it was too dark to get a good picture.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Stand on the kitchen counter and take a photo of your feet

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmao nice trick I'm not giving out free foot pix. Those things are valuable

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Put your massive breasts in front of some tasteful light and take a pic

PokeJoe