Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mediaphage posted:

yeah but let’s be honest that’s a different situation to what your earlier statement intimates

well i used to use after effects and premiere too but that ended about a year ago and i haven't felt the need to play around with either one since then lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Switch the website country to Turkey and create a new account (it won't work on existing Adobe accounts because the billing country is fixed at registration time). Go through checkout as usual with the aid of Google translate

My usual credit cards were declined (presumably due to country mismatch) but my multi currency debit card from Wise worked fine

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got 3 years of Xbox game pass for $90 by changing the country to Pakistan, it’s a pretty sweet deal

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I know a bunch of people who have never paid for game pass either because they go nuts on the microsoft rewards poo poo or because they stacked up shitloads of xbox live gold time buying cards whenever they were on sale and converted it all to game pass time when that was a thing you could do

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Adobe retention gave me a 1.30 dollar month for the 1 TB photography plan I think the person that did that was on their last day ok the job

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

njsykora posted:

I know a bunch of people who have never paid for game pass either because they go nuts on the microsoft rewards poo poo or because they stacked up shitloads of xbox live gold time buying cards whenever they were on sale and converted it all to game pass time when that was a thing you could do

I do it with Bing points since google is equally at useless now so I may as well get rewarded for seeing paid ad and horrible SEO results

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

$240/year still feels like too much for adobe stuff and i also use it professionally

i remember when that was (roughly) the student pricing for the annual premium release, but those copies also worked after a year

since i don't do freelance design work anymore, i've switched over to affinity and gladly upgraded to their 2 release because the license is for all devices, so no bargain hunting sales to get it on ios and windows

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

i thought you canceled your sub when they rolled out that "we auto-opted-in everyone to have their stuff be in our ml training set"; am i misremembering?

naw i cancelled, tried to use free copies, that failed, tried to use alternatives, that failed, they kicked me a discount rate to start it up again.

There's no fighting the AI/ML stuff. i'm not going to spend my time and energy pretending that there is

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apple’s soon-to-be-revealed mixed-reality device will likely cost $3,000, requires a separate battery pack and is still experimental

quote:

Apple in the coming weeks is expected to unveil what is perhaps the most experimental, unconventional product in its history: a so-called mixed-reality headset that resembles a pair of ski goggles and comes with a battery pack, people familiar with the matter say.

Apple’s launch plans break many of its traditions and rules about new products that have become the industry gold standard. Unlike other Apple products, the device is debuting in a still-experimental mode. Apple predicts slower adoption for the headset compared with the Apple Watch or the iPhone, both of which quickly became consumer must-haves. Taking seven years in development before hitting the market, it will be one of the most complex consumer products any company has ever sold.

Company engineers and executives have spent months preparing presentations with a demo version of the device for Apple’s upcoming annual software conference in June. But it isn’t expected to be delivered for most users until the fall at the earliest, people familiar with the supply chain said. Some Apple employees and suppliers have questioned whether the rollout could be delayed given the challenges with integrating the headset with new software, its production and the broader market, people familiar with the product’s development said. Apple could still make changes to its timeline.
Apple is putting out the headset with a battery in a pack expected to be the size of something that fits in one hand and separate from the goggles—a design concession unusual for Apple’s typically sleek and minimal product philosophy.
Supporting a developer ecosystem will be key to the success or failure of the headset, since wearers will need worlds to download and immerse themselves into. Apple employees are trying to develop a “killer app” for the headset and have worked on a FaceTime-like product and ways to port its mobile apps to the device, people familiar with the preparations said.

By announcing it at the developer conference in June, Apple would be signaling it wants the event to kick-start developer interest for making headset content. Many sessions will be devoted to development of software for the new headset, people familiar with the conference schedule said.

There's so much good stuff in here

quote:

The device is expected to come with a high price tag of around $3,000—triple Meta’s most expensive Quest Pro headset. Even at that level, it will mean slim hardware margins for Apple as the company builds up production, people familiar with the issue said.

Apple has also had to make significant design concessions, such as the device’s external battery pack that could sit on users’ waists, those people said. The contraption will also fully enclose the user’s eyes like a pair of safety goggles, said the people, preventing wearers from being able to directly view their surroundings as they would with a normal pair of glasses.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
if steve jobs weren't already dead that thing would kill him

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

at the same time i absolutely appreciate apple doing something a bit bonkers. my life drains away whenever this thread (basically) goes "market forces have dictated that this size undifferentiated black rectangle is correct"

bring on the weird vanity projects

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
can't wait for the demo where some trustfund baby uses ar to see the studs in wall to hang a picture and calling it a game changer for taskrabbits

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i think they should try weirder things too, but this ain't that. i really can't think of a reason for most people to buy this thing and it sounds like they can't either

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the only real use case is to replace my monitors and laptop but I don't think the display tech is there yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there is no really compelling use case for "general purpose face computer" unless optics and batteries both have massive, revolutionary changes in the next couple years

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
on top of that there is no general use case for "general purpose vision and hearing replacement face computer", period, besides entertainment

there may be a use case for "general purpose vision and hearing augmentation computer" if we do get the tech revolution

then we also have to confront the social issues

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
there's a lot of cool poo poo that augmented vision could provide but idk if/when we'll get there. i sure as gently caress am not strapping ski googles to my face to get it, even google glass had more sense than that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its also $3,000 lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"hey, Siri. show me the good poo poo. "

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

ultra trip report: i can leave bike workout on for 12 hours on regular low power mode and still have 60% after a shift instead of 18 with the s5. that alone is worth price of admission. it lasts two shifts if i top it off to 100 before shift 1 but generally it has made charging my watch not something i have to be on top of and its nice to have one less thing to baby when i turn into a bike hobo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
preemptively lmao at all the nerds with Fanny-pack lookin batteries on their waists

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

preemptively lmao at all the nerds with Fanny-pack lookin batteries on their waists

you'd have to be pretty pro tier at not making eye contact to notice the battery pack before the helmet covering half their face

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
but, hell , I’d drop a cool three grand if someone made a vr app where I could punch elon musk on the nose

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you'd have to be pretty pro tier at not making eye contact to notice the battery pack before the helmet covering half their face

my social anxiety is extremely powerful

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i’m obviously not going to buy it but i’m glad they’re doing something interesting. the iphone has been boring for a while

plus this will get software developed for what might actually be a baller product in five or ten years or something: the ar glasses

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i’m obviously not going to buy it but i’m glad they’re doing something interesting. the iphone has been boring for a while

plus this will get software developed for what might actually be a baller product in five or ten years or something: the ar glasses

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't want anything 'exciting' that is technological and carried on my body. Maybe i'm just old. idk.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i don't want anything 'exciting' that is technological and carried on my body. Maybe i'm just old. idk.

You could be like that "sexy android" woman who wears led lights and poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I support Naomi's efforts, but i am not the target market

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Beeftweeter posted:

if steve jobs weren't already dead that thing would kill him

but his yacht

he was past caring

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think the funniest thing about late steve apple is the giant glass walls in the hq with strict warnings that nobody try to increase their visibility with frosted applique designs or anything so you have people constantly running full speed into them holding a laptop and a full coffee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

the apple watch is kind of exciting in the same way imo in terms of being a mildly future seeming device that wasn’t a new market but sort of perfected a pre-existing one, which is what apple does best, and you’re a fan of that as i recall

it’s fine to want or not to want future tech nerd glasses

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

I think the funniest thing about late steve apple is the giant glass walls in the hq with strict warnings that nobody try to increase their visibility with frosted applique designs or anything so you have people constantly running full speed into them holding a laptop and a full coffee

I thought that was ive's fault

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, that's a fair cop.

Here's my deal. I will pay $1,999 for a pair of transparent glasses (maybe more if i can get prescription lenses!) that allow me to overlay grayscale or even 1 bit schematics and PDFs and service manuals in my field of vision, in focus, with some sort of rudimentary voice controls to pan and zoom around in it. That's it. i don't want any half measures, i don't want to be a test mule for something i don't want on the promise that it will make the thing i do want available, and i don't need any wii online tier 3d world stapled/pushed to it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Here's my deal. I will pay $1,999 for a pair of transparent glasses (maybe more if i can get prescription lenses!) that allow me to overlay grayscale or even 1 bit schematics and PDFs and service manuals in my field of vision, in focus, with some sort of rudimentary voice controls to pan and zoom around in it. That's it. i don't want any half measures, i don't want to be a test mule for something i don't want on the promise that it will make the thing i do want available, and i don't need any wii online tier 3d world stapled/pushed to it.

i dont think id pay that much, but in general, yeah that's what i want too. if im dreaming i also want something that'll keep track of what and how much i'm eating/exercising but that seems pretty impossible to improve with non-magic technology beyond what we already basically have on our phones (though voice interface instead of having to pull out my phone would be great. sometimes.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i mean that’s what i want too and from the rumour mills (lol) it really seems like that’s their eventual goal

will they get there? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

but i think they want to have something that will be a known quantity in terms of experience and software and i assume that’s why they’re doing this thing first since the tech to do what we all actually want just doesn’t exist yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't see the point of investing in making software for an interface that has multiple existing physics problems [battery life, image area super restricted, almost impossible to both darken and lighten the scene] around working in a useful way

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its also three thousand american dollars, will be obsolete pretty quickly, has no compelling use case and no backwards compatibility with ios apps

it's gonna be a huge uphill climb if it's not DOA (and i think it will be)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also i have no idea what the final thing looks like but from the description it sounds like people are gonna look like dorks wearing it, which is decidedly not apple-like for most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

no backwards compatibility with ios apps

you may be surprised.