Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it’s come up before, but Section 31 is something from ds9 that aged really poorly, not in the sense that there was anything wrong with ds9’s treatment of it but insofar as everyone after took exactly the wrong lesson from those stories. The secret agent guy on ds9 is a weirdo loner who thinks he’s cool and doing what must be done, but he’s wrong about a lot of it and in denial. In the episode where he dies, it seems clear that there aren’t any other agents or that if there are, they’re all working on their own like him. He’s a bad guy, and Sisko immediately understands that he’s bad and starts working on how to stop him. Every show after presents like this cool cia thing with agents everywhere doing hard things that must be done. It’s very silly. The ds9 guy is even dressed all stupid with a bad haircut. You’re not supposed to think he’s cool.

But then I think about the one where Sisko blows up the “it’s fake!” guy and wonder about some of the differences between those episodes, which aired near each other, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sisko doesn't, Garak does.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They were actually blindsided that he really wanted to play an alien and did him up as a Vorta last minute apparently.

There's a bunch of famous actors who've really wanted to be in Star Trek, but only if they can play an alien. Eddie Murphy was supposedly really excited to be considered for Star Trek IV, but dropped out because they wanted him to be a twentieth century human and he only wanted to be an alien.

I guess it makes sense - why do Star Trek and then just play a regular human?

(Similarly, Lupita Nyong'o being a weird little orange alien in the Star Wars sequels.)

I AM GRANDO posted:

. Every show after presents like this cool cia thing with agents everywhere doing hard things that must be done. It’s very silly. The ds9 guy is even dressed all stupid with a bad haircut. You’re not supposed to think he’s cool.

Eh, I don't think he was supposed to be a loser. If they'd gone with the idea that Section 31 was actually all in this guy's head, that'd be cool - but they didn't, they showed him outwitting the Romulans, the masters of espionage, affirmed that Section 31 has agents at the highest levels of government, and had Odo agreeing that yeah, of course the Federation has a sneaky spy group that does horrible things, how would a state survive without one? It was a bad idea from the start, and the later series haven't done anything that DS9 hadn't already established and effectively endorsed.

Angry Salami has a new favorite as of 05:31 on May 15, 2023

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My hope for the upcoming Section 31 streaming telemovie thing is that it chronicles the final nail in the coffin of Section 31. It’s a well writers are far too eager to return to, IMO.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The important thing about Section 31 is that whether or not some characters, and Odo is obviously not a good judge of what is and is not kind of too authoritarian or fash, think otherwise, ultimately it is shown to be not necessary. They are not the reason the Dominion War ends, and it ends in spite of, not because of, their plan to end it.

DS9 definitely has missteps but I think at the end of the day Paradise Lost works well as its thesis statement. I don't believe the writers agreed then or now with the idea that Section 31 was justified, let alone necessary, and don't think they intended to convey a message that it was.

"So you're going to destroy paradise in order to save it?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blue Moonlight posted:

My hope for the upcoming Section 31 streaming telemovie thing is that it chronicles the final nail in the coffin of Section 31. It’s a well writers are far too eager to return to, IMO.

Why would something in the Discovery 22nd century continuity block it out from being used in the Picard etc 23rd century new series?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Arivia posted:

Why would something in the Discovery 22nd century continuity block it out from being used in the Picard etc 23rd century new series?

I mean WB famously had the Bat Embargo for Justice League Unlimited. Granted that was seen as a children's show most likely but, I mean, it's not like Paramount respects its Star Trek audience's intelligence. And considering the intelligence of people watching most of nu-Trek, that's honestly a fair call on their part.

But could also be that if S31 bombs as a series, they quietly take the concept out to pasture and stop referencing it. If it does great though, hoo boy is the franchise going to get even worse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The important thing about Section 31 is that whether or not some characters, and Odo is obviously not a good judge of what is and is not kind of too authoritarian or fash, think otherwise, ultimately it is shown to be not necessary. They are not the reason the Dominion War ends, and it ends in spite of, not because of, their plan to end it.

DS9 definitely has missteps but I think at the end of the day Paradise Lost works well as its thesis statement. I don't believe the writers agreed then or now with the idea that Section 31 was justified, let alone necessary, and don't think they intended to convey a message that it was.

"So you're going to destroy paradise in order to save it?"

Reminds me that Odo's take on Section 31 is a lack of surprise, and immediate comparison to the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order.

Of course thing is the whole thesis of the show revolves around exactly those state sec agencies being incredible liabilities who are easily turned, tricked and otherwise more trouble than they're worth, and the paranoia of superpowers is used against them over and over.

And on the other hand there's cloak and dagger stuff not involving them that turns out a lot better, like Garak basically being a one-man intelligence agency and O'Brien doing surprisingly well going undercover. Or the time they all got plastic surgery to pose as Klingon warriors (well, Worf just got a makeover) and Sisko sold it. Also how hilarious it is to introduce Garak to the totally-not-James Bond fantasy.

Funny thing is the whole plotline with Bashir being an augment was a bit of an rear end-pull, but it lines up surprisingly well with his whole deal- how he's cagey about his past and chooses a post very far away from anywhere prominent at first, arrogant about his abilities despite naivety and has a bit of a martyr complex. He learns to fit in fairly well in dystopian 21st century Earth perhaps because he's a de facto exile at home, constantly having to hide his true nature and blend in, and likely why he attracts the interest of both Garak and Section 31. Also why Bashir and Garak kinda have parallel and intersecting arcs about loyalty and service to the state vs oneself- values both Cardassia and the Federation espouse, but in different ways.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

I just saw the episode with Gul Darheel. I loved the reveal about what he really was and what he was doing, and how it was the start of Kira starting to see Cardassians as just... people. A mess of a race who nonetheless have a few good people who are it's only hope of fixing their society, only for the episode to end in tragedy.

It was a very good episode.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I can't be the only one annoyed that with all the new Trek stuff we haven't seen Bashir and Garak as an old married couple just rocking around the place and acting like Space Statler and Space Waldorf? Sitting in the background of every scene and tearing every occasion to absolute shreds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I can't be the only one annoyed that with all the new Trek stuff we haven't seen Bashir and Garak as an old married couple just rocking around the place and acting like Space Statler and Space Waldorf? Sitting in the background of every scene and tearing every occasion to absolute shreds.

Andrew Robinson is 81. I don't blame him for not wanting to spend hours in make-up again.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Is NuTrek popular in international markets? I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it was at least as popular there as the US (e.g: not terribly but still popular enough), and if so there's your answer.

Even so that awful Rick and Morty Trek cartoon is the designated LGBTQ+ containment pod for NuTrek and they've shown zero shame or intellect when it comes to fellating past series, so if there's a place for Bashir/Garak to get a hat nod it'd be there.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Arrogant losers who use martyr complexes to justify how lovely they made things in their lives are an evergreen market. All it has to do is play to the cheap seats about "Hard people making Hard decisions" and it'll find an audience. That's why the writers keep going back there.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

mind the walrus posted:

Even so that awful Rick and Morty Trek cartoon is the designated LGBTQ+ containment pod for NuTrek and they've shown zero shame or intellect when it comes to fellating past series, so if there's a place for Bashir/Garak to get a hat nod it'd be there.

Well, that's just not true at all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also Lower Decks already did a DS9 episode, it was focused on Quark.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

IshmaelZarkov posted:

This is about as close as you will get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M44QMKWMxuQ

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mind the walrus posted:

Is NuTrek popular in international markets? I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it was at least as popular there as the US (e.g: not terribly but still popular enough), and if so there's your answer.

Arrogant losers who use martyr complexes to justify how lovely they made things in their lives are an evergreen market. All it has to do is play to the cheap seats about "Hard people making Hard decisions" and it'll find an audience. That's why the writers keep going back there.

What are you talking about? I hate ST: Discovery, but it had gay representation from day 1, and Picard had Raffi/Seven. Nutrek has a lot of problems, but a lack of queer representation is not one of them.

Also Lower Decks is good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

I like how Henry Cavill portrays him in the Enola Holmes movies. Once Enola establishes how smart she is, he stops dismissing her and actively works with her.

Haven't read the books, so maybe that characterization was deliberately chosen by the author. One thing is for sure, Mycroft is a huuuuuuuuge rear end in a top hat at all times

Basically canonical on both points. A Scandal in Bohemia is one of the better known stories and is one of the few cases where Holmes gets outsmarted, largely due to underestimating Irene Adler because she's a woman, and after she outsmarts him the closing lines literally say that Holmes changed his attitudes on women in general and Irene Adler in particular as a result.

This was part of Doyle actively retooling Holmes from his original introduction as an idiot savant with no social graces into a brilliant polymath who can be charming when he feels like it. Then he wanted to go back and play with something resembling the original concept more, so he invented Mycroft as an even more intelligent and idiosyncratic version of Holmes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Huh, that's interesting. It plays on multiple levels in Enola Holmes 2 with the reveal that Moriarty is a woman in this continuity.

Then again, I was a big fan of that casting choice since Sharon Duncan-Brewster already put in a fantastic performance as Liet-Kynes in Dune

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

the holy poopacy posted:

Basically canonical on both points. A Scandal in Bohemia is one of the better known stories and is one of the few cases where Holmes gets outsmarted, largely due to underestimating Irene Adler because she's a woman, and after she outsmarts him the closing lines literally say that Holmes changed his attitudes on women in general and Irene Adler in particular as a result.

This was part of Doyle actively retooling Holmes from his original introduction as an idiot savant with no social graces into a brilliant polymath who can be charming when he feels like it. Then he wanted to go back and play with something resembling the original concept more, so he invented Mycroft as an even more intelligent and idiosyncratic version of Holmes.

Holmes idolizing Adler as a uniquely brilliant woman always irritated me, because she's not written to be anything more than a person who possesses basic common sense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chrpno posted:

There's a name I did not expect to see here. Are we going after ol' Dusty Dan for a dubious refretting video or something?

No, they're just old buddies. Jim played drums in The Prime Movers with him for a minute, and Dan and his brothers started calling him "Iggy" because he had previously played in a band called The Iguanas.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Lower Decks is hilarious and objectively great Star Trek.

If you want more Garak, read A Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson himself. It's his memoirs from childhood through post-DS9 rebuilding what's left of Cardassia.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pookah posted:

Holmes idolizing Adler as a uniquely brilliant woman always irritated me, because she's not written to be anything more than a person who possesses basic common sense.

She did correctly deduce Holmes' identity and plan, which had to have taken a little footwork beyond the simple precaution of realizing she'd potentially been made. But yeah, the story definitely tries to have it both ways; the story is written as Holmes underestimating his opponent and getting sloppy once he assumes he's won, but because she successfully thwarted Holmes she has to be presented as a worthy adversary who matched him a battle of wits.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Arivia posted:

At the risk of this being too “Fan speculation that did not age well,” Georgiou is already being sent back in time by the Guardian from the 32nd century, just dump her post-Picard S3 and have her clean up S31 as her final act of penance or whatever. Doesn’t mess up continuity, but sandboxes S31 to pre-2402 at least.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Blue Moonlight posted:

At the risk of this being too “Fan speculation that did not age well,” Georgiou is already being sent back in time by the Guardian from the 32nd century, just dump her post-Picard S3 and have her clean up S31 as her final act of penance or whatever. Doesn’t mess up continuity, but sandboxes S31 to pre-2402 at least.

I was hoping it was going to be a prequel, but set around TMP time, just wanna see more of that vibe.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

What are you talking about? I hate ST: Discovery, but it had gay representation from day 1, and Picard had Raffi/Seven. Nutrek has a lot of problems, but a lack of queer representation is not one of them.
Fair enough. I think that any further argument would devolve into semantics. Point conceded.

quote:

Also Lower Decks is good.
They had a giant gold statue of O'Brien. The Lower Decks is idiotic. Even by exceedingly low-bar Trek standards.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mind the walrus posted:

Fair enough. I think that any further argument would devolve into semantics. Point conceded.

They had a giant gold statue of O'Brien. The Lower Decks is idiotic. Even by exceedingly low-bar Trek standards.

Why do people bring up points in favor of Lower Decks as if they are bad things?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

What do you have against O'Brien?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Lower Decks is the only modern Trek show to be smart enough to hire Jeffrey Combs and therefore it's the best. That's the rule.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
In most treks, conflicts arise from the outside and are solved through high-handed moralizing, a little technobabble, and some quick philosophy/phasers. Camraderie and competency solve everything! While the crew may exacerbate or sympathize with the conflict source, they're basically never the origin.

I would say 90% of Lower Decks' conflicts arise from internal squabbling. Outside conflicts are secondary to character interaction; it's not wrong, it's just a very different approach. Your mileage may vary on whether they execute it in a way that delivers character-driven storytelling, or if it's goddamn unbearable watching Boymler and Beckett repeat the same arcs episode after episode.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

To be fair, the Cerritos isn't the Enterprise. It isn't, necessarily, the place where you find the BEST of Starfleet. It may be the place where they start, or it may be a place where the also-rans and rejects show up because they still have their uses. The internal squabbling is "the point" because the resolutions to those conflicts are usually done by someone going "we're Starfleet, we're better than this"

However, if you have an issue with Mariner continuing to run head first into a wall every episode, well, that's understandable

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Aces High posted:

To be fair, the Cerritos isn't the Enterprise. It isn't, necessarily, the place where you find the BEST of Starfleet. It may be the place where they start, or it may be a place where the also-rans and rejects show up because they still have their uses. The internal squabbling is "the point" because the resolutions to those conflicts are usually done by someone going "we're Starfleet, we're better than this"

However, if you have an issue with Mariner continuing to run head first into a wall every episode, well, that's understandable

To be fair, Mariner sort of stopped doing that at the end of last season and everyone kind of just assumed she was the one causing problems anyway, so maybe the problem isn't entirely on her.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The destruction of the Starfleet ship near the end of season 1 was genuinely the most upsetting version of that I've ever seen in Star Trek and I was kinda stunned for a few seconds. It really got me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My favorite was when they tried to get a cabin individually and then they got sniped by a group. It really felt like they actually learned a lesson that time.

I also enjoy most of the other episodes though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HopperUK posted:

The destruction of the Starfleet ship near the end of season 1 was genuinely the most upsetting version of that I've ever seen in Star Trek and I was kinda stunned for a few seconds. It really got me.

That was a genuinely great scene. Hauntingly beautiful, but deeply sad at the same time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

Season one of the joke animated show or some other new Star Trek show? I’ve been unable to be interested in any of the new ones past the first two eps, even the one that has the (IMO) best living American novelist as showrunner. Christ, Chabon working on this ephemeral crap (Picard) instead of writing another even near-masterpiece or even a spectacular failure is gonna be taught at Starfleet Academy as an example of why capitalism sucks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Remulak posted:

Season one of the joke animated show or some other new Star Trek show? I’ve been unable to be interested in any of the new ones past the first two eps

Yes, the joke animated show. The first two episodes aren't good - the pilot is downright bad. It gets much better very quickly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Squidster posted:

In most treks, conflicts arise from the outside and are solved through high-handed moralizing, a little technobabble, and some quick philosophy/phasers. Camraderie and competency solve everything! While the crew may exacerbate or sympathize with the conflict source, they're basically never the origin.

I would say 90% of Lower Decks' conflicts arise from internal squabbling. Outside conflicts are secondary to character interaction; it's not wrong, it's just a very different approach. Your mileage may vary on whether they execute it in a way that delivers character-driven storytelling, or if it's goddamn unbearable watching Boymler and Beckett repeat the same arcs episode after episode.
The problem with Lower Decks isn't that it's not Star-Treky enough, it's that it's not good. It sits somewhere between post-revival Futurama and later-seasons Archer. It's not unwatchable, but it's not particularly funny. And it's definitely trying to be. It's not aiming for action or drama or anything else - at least not as a primary focus. Its main appeal is supposed to be the comedy and it's just not funny. And like Futurama and Archer, there's a superficial resemblance to the good show that you liked, because they're hoping that if they just regurgitate enough of the elements of that good show then this show will be good as well. But it isn't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lower Decks has plenty of original jokes, fun references and riffs on classic Star Trek stuff, and pretty good character writing and growth over the course of the series. If the humor isn’t to your tastes that’s of course personal preference but they’re really not phoning it in as “Rick and Morty in Star Trek” suggests.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Arivia posted:

Lower Decks has plenty of original jokes, fun references and riffs on classic Star Trek stuff, and pretty good character writing and growth over the course of the series. If the humor isn’t to your tastes that’s of course personal preference but they’re really not phoning it in as “Rick and Morty in Star Trek” suggests.

Dammit, stop posting like me.

Seriously though, I won't deny lower decks has some not great episodes but I can't think of any episodes I hated or even disliked. Of all the modern trek series, it is rhe only one I watch weekly when it airs instead of binging.

Hell, I still haven't watched S2 of Disco, S3 of Picard or any of the other animated series whereas I watched every single lower decks ep.

And to be clear, I am a multi generational trekkie. My mother was part of the letter writing campaign that got TOS the third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I still haven't watched S2 of Disco, S3 of Picard
Well, those shows are much, much worse than Lower Decks.