Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

unfortunately i can’t make that the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

haveblue posted:

the internet was always islands of life in a desolate wasteland but the wasteland has gotten larger and more treacherous and the islands walled themselves in

Idgi

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

why

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

he said, while posting on a forum that requires an entry fee to participate in conversation

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/telly-free-4ktv-second-screen-advertising-ilya-pozin-1235611509/

One step away from having to yell McDonalds at the tv

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
one free dumb 4K TV and a roll of opaque tape please

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i figure they must have thought of that, right? either the lower screen is required to operate the tv somehow, or it has a light sensor that means it can't be covered up, or the ads play sounds too, or something.

or perhaps they just didn't think of it and this is an idea on par with whatever company it was that was just giving away free movie tickets with no other apparent business model

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the business model is to milk VCs for cash??

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Haven’t bought a tv in over a decade. Don’t new ones have ad banners and poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they did think of that. the terms of service requires you to:

quote:

(a) Use the Product as the primary television in Your household;

(b) Keep the Product connected to WiFi and internet; and

(c) Not use any software on Your WiFi network that with advertising blocking capability. [sic]

(d) Not make physical modifications to the Product or attach peripheral devices to the Product not expressly approved by Telly. Any attempt to open the Product’s enclosure will be deemed an unauthorized modification.

you also have to give them a credit card so they can charge it if you try to keep the TV after they catch you breaking these rules

that said, human ingenuity is unlimited and the TV's ability to verify whether photons from the ad screen are reaching eyeballs is limited

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

isn't a cheap 4k tv like sub 300 bucks now anyway

and you know this is the cheapest poo poo panel they could find, since they're taking a loss on it up front

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
just place a loving table in front of the screen, I didn't see anything in the rules about dictating the feng shui of your house

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the next version of this business model will involve periodic house inspections, clearly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Alan Smithee posted:

Haven’t bought a tv in over a decade. Don’t new ones have ad banners and poo poo

most smart tvs show ads in the ui if you have them connected to the internet, yes.

you either face to ads or don't use any of the smart functions and never connect them to a network. alternatively, you can spend forever janitoring block lists on your home network.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
smart TVs still have HDMI inputs so you can pair one with your preferred STB and have a no-ad experience, except for the rare times you have to go into a system menu

(for now, at least)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah there is definitely some marketing scumbag at one of the big TV manufacturers trying to get the engineering team to just plaster an ad over the HDMI input regardless of whats on screen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, if you just use them as an HDMI monitor, they work fine and you'll never see an ad.

the difficulty comes from wanting to use the "smart" functionality and apps on the tv

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Telly’s bet is that it will be able to generate a return on the major upfront investment of getting its ad-enabled TVs in front of U.S. consumers. It’s not clear how long it might take Telly to recoup the sunk costs of the free TVs. Pozin argues that the unusual business plan is “a revolutionary step forward for both consumers and advertisers.”

“TVs are a commodity. It’s a race to the bottom on price,” Pozin said. “There’s been no innovation in the industry.”
uh-huh.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the only ads I get on my roku tv are on the home screen and they’re still banners for new shows or movies that are on roku streaming. it’s probably the least annoying or invasive

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

any device or service i paid money for should have precisely zero ads on it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sweevo posted:

any device or service i paid money for should have precisely zero ads on it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Netflix, Hulu: "let's go Dutch?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

“Telly is giving away the device completely free,” said Pozin, the company’s founder and CEO. “The business will be entirely supported by advertising and affiliate revenue.”

Pozin: "we call this secondary screen 'the neg hole' "

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
does anyone know what happened to mark pauline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cp7aD0q63g

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

infernal machines posted:

most smart tvs show ads in the ui if you have them connected to the internet, yes.

you either face to ads or don't use any of the smart functions and never connect them to a network. alternatively, you can spend forever janitoring block lists on your home network.

pihole blocks them on my samsung TV but you can't seem to disable their stupid "press down in menu to see Samsung's idiot internet TV channel" thing.....though now I think about it I haven't seen if I can block whatever that calls to as well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it seems like the only smart tv you should buy is something like a Roku one because it has the same ui as the standalone ones that can’t be too annoying

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the answer “don’t buy a smart tv” appears to no longer be possible

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you should be able to find a smart TV that defaults to an HDMI input on boot, then get an STB or dongle that doesn’t suck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lg makes them, i have one.

it's a great monitor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

you should be able to find a smart TV that defaults to an HDMI input on boot

i havent seen a lot of tvs but all the tvs i have just boot up to whatever input was last active

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
wish i could get one that just started pushing frames from the input to the screen without having to "boot up" first, but what can you do?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jabor posted:

wish i could get one that just started pushing frames from the input to the screen without having to "boot up" first, but what can you do?

just dont turn it off i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk about boot times, my cx takes a bout two seconds from pressing power to having an image on screen, which is considerably faster than the warmup of any crt i owned

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
yeah my crappy vizio m series maybe takes 1-2 seconds. its not bad at all, but its not as instant as an old dumb lcd either

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

theres a lot of dumb poo poo about smart tvs but i dont really feel like a couple of seconds of boot time is one of them

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

these phosphors take too long to glow!!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in defense of modern smart tvs, i have an LG A2 (entry level oled) and i just use the hdmi ins and it doesnt push ads or anything. its just a big monitor for me.

that being said, they're hip to our game of buying Commercial Displays, and the modern CDs in the "double price, not 5x price" tier are all just smart TVs with corporate branded smart code, they're not the dumb hdmi yeeters you're dreaming of any more. that door is closed

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
my computer monitors throw up a dell logo during boot, so i dont see why its unreasonable for a tv to do the same thing. the big vizio V for a handful of seconds is fine, the receiver isnt even going to be warmed up for tens of seconds anyway

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

my computer monitors throw up a dell logo during boot, so i dont see why its unreasonable for a tv to do the same thing. the big vizio V for a handful of seconds is fine, the receiver isnt even going to be warmed up for tens of seconds anyway

one of the funniest things to me is how youtube can't sync HDR mode on ads with the videos, so when i play a kpop song in 4k hdr, it spends 4.3 seconds of my tv's blank time trying to play a 5 second ad, i hit 'skip' and we go back to where we were. They don't exactly have a vise grip on this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if i turn on my apple tv, it auto-boots the TV at the correct input. same deal with my switch. those are the only two use cases for my TV. works fine.