Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Their old weather app was nice the new update is trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Celexi posted:

Their old weather app was nice the new update is trash

they really don't have to copy apple at everything

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

apple: 5% chance or rain in the morning? lightning storm icons all day, baby!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the ios weather app works fine for me

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shaggar posted:

the ios weather app works fine for me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: wrong thread

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
seems they removed the ads from the weather app after the complaining

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe they can remove the ads from the loving start menu too

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't have ads on the start menu??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
neither do i, but the default oob experience on both pro and home is full of preload app pins for 3rd party apps, which they rotate through frequently and will automatically install new ones as they're promoted unless you disable the underlying content delivery mechanism

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Celexi posted:

seems they removed the ads from the weather app after the complaining

they deleted all the 1 star reviews complaining about the new version lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

they deleted all the 1 star reviews complaining about the new version lol

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're still visible on the web version of the store, but in the windows store app you can only see a few 5 stars from years ago

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

infernal machines posted:

neither do i, but the default oob experience on both pro and home is full of preload app pins for 3rd party apps, which they rotate through frequently and will automatically install new ones as they're promoted unless you disable the underlying content delivery mechanism

I think as long you have this on it shouldn't, there's also another setting elsewhere for ads in the settings apps because lol ms

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my computer was running like poo poo so I "refreshed" my pc and now it's fast and good again. thank you microsorft. also i have slack and outlook in pwas now and it's far better

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

cowboy beepboop posted:

my computer was running like poo poo so I "refreshed" my pc and now it's fast and good again. thank you microsorft. also i have slack and outlook in pwas now and it's far better

better than using the native apps? :thunk:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The new outlook that you can opt to preview is a wrapper for the web version.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Celexi posted:

they announced that they were going to do this a while ago.

I don't like it because the web version of outlook is imo even worse than the desktop version, but once they started adding features like liking messages and didn't bother adding it to the desktop version it was pretty obvious that they weren't going to bother continuing to maintain the desktop version.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i wonder if that's where office in general is headed. why add new features when you can reimplement old ones in a pwa

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Celexi posted:

yeah it sucks poo poo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i wonder if that's where office in general is headed. why add new features when you can reimplement old ones in a pwa
the web version of office is surprisingly complete compared to something like google docs but it's still missing a lot of features so I don't think they're in a position where they can deprecate (or stop adding new features to) the desktop versions anytime soon

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
imo for 99% of users web office has been more than good enough for years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I had to go back to old office for Mac LTSc when I got a new job and it sucks poo poo compared to “new outlook” or w/e. I want to sit down and chat with the dev who decided that command + return would be a shortcut to send an email you’re drafting.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

the web version of office is surprisingly complete compared to something like google docs but it's still missing a lot of features so I don't think they're in a position where they can deprecate (or stop adding new features to) the desktop versions anytime soon

yeah it's really not that bad at all

but then again i guess the core functionality of most office apps has been more or less the same since like 1997

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

WORDSTAR!!!!!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lmao

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

better than using the native apps? :thunk:

yeah it's better

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Last Chance posted:

I had to go back to old office for Mac LTSc when I got a new job and it sucks poo poo compared to “new outlook” or w/e. I want to sit down and chat with the dev who decided that command + return would be a shortcut to send an email you’re drafting.

it's control-enter on windows, isnt it? doesnt seem that meaningfully different to use command on mac

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

command return means submit when typing in a multiline text field in a bunch of apps, but also sometimes doesnt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what were you expecting command-return to do instead?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

what were you expecting command-return to do instead?

usually in forms where the default action for return is "submit" cmd-return does a newline

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

well usually when writing something, I’m using return to make a new line and sometimes I’m copying and pasting into the email via keyboard shortcuts that also use command + whatever.

sometimes I don’t let go of command at the right time because I’m hosed up I guess and I make mistakes? but I don’t think that should mean a half finished email should get sent.

thankfully many people had this issue with old outlook and there’s a weird fix

https://superuser.com/questions/453516/how-do-i-disable-commandenter-sending-e-mail-in-outlook-2011-for-mac

and I think this shortcut is changed or removed in new outlook? it just didn’t happen in new outlook for me as far as I remember

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

at least in outlook on windows when you hit ctrl+enter a dialog appears telling you it's the shortcut to send and it has a tickbox to ignore the warning from then on. dunno if that's still the default behaviour anymore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

usually in forms where the default action for return is "submit" cmd-return does a newline

shift-return should be the keyboard command for a soft break or new line.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
UI quiz: what does the following button on the Power BI service do?

a) it opens the page for updating the settings of the app you are developing

b) it immediately applies the pending changes to the app you are working on

answer: trick question, it depends on whether the button is at the top right or the bottom right of the screen

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

power BI sucks donkey nuts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
well this is a new level of fuckery

sent an email using desktop Outlook, then a couple minutes later had to recall it. did the normal way.

couple minutes later I get an email about the recall request, NOT telling me whether it was successful or not, but saying to "View Message Recall Report" to find out the status of the recall.

so I have to click on that to show me what happened.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jesus Christ. I hope you sue for damages

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah you had to click on something. my dad had to do that once and I never saw him again. I feel it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

well this is a new level of fuckery

sent an email using desktop Outlook, then a couple minutes later had to recall it. did the normal way.

couple minutes later I get an email about the recall request, NOT telling me whether it was successful or not, but saying to "View Message Recall Report" to find out the status of the recall.

so I have to click on that to show me what happened.

I've noticed this to. People in my org asking me if that was really sent by Microsoft or if it's a phish. It's good training :yum: