Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sniep posted:

nope, just the same behavior for many models over several years. occasionally just goes max bright and heats up.

nothing more or less than that, was simply asking if anyone knew what caused that yet.

you gotta tan those legs bro lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

post hole digger posted:

valid.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

post hole digger posted:

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it’s mining bits coins

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

post hole digger posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some people act like the sun shines out of their rear end in a top hat but sneip really has a holy cornhole

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

some people act like the sun shines out of their rear end in a top hat but sneip really has a holy cornhole

well some of us accidentally sat on flashlights okay

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Beeftweeter posted:

well some of us accidentally sat on flashlights okay

the doctors will respect you more if you just admit you did it on purpose

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
both usb ports on my M1 air are suddenly hosed up so it takes minutes to find the exact right angle to plug in the power cable and then I can’t move it at all if I want it to charge thanks timb

tried multiple different charges too just to make sure it wasn’t that. they both charge other laptops fine.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mine sometimes goes to full brightness outdoors and then realizes it can't sustain it and limits itself to like 40% brightness

it's confusing because the phone is lying to me and telling me it's at full brightness but i can't see poo poo. i start doubting myself like "wasn't it a lot brighter a few minutes ago?" and then eventually it cools down or something and i realize it was doing that

iphones don't like the sun

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Speaking of weird iPhone behaviour: my headphone dongle likes to cut out for a fraction of a second intermittently after an hour or so of usage. Whenever that happens, the default Podcasts app takes like ten seconds to respond to rewind or volume change commands. I'm using a genuine Apple headphone dongle on a 2nd gen SE.

The gently caress is going on. This is literally an iphone 6s chassis why can't i just have a loving headphone jack

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Speaking of weird iPhone behaviour: my headphone dongle likes to cut out for a fraction of a second intermittently after an hour or so of usage. Whenever that happens, the default Podcasts app takes like ten seconds to respond to rewind or volume change commands. I'm using a genuine Apple headphone dongle on a 2nd gen SE.

The gently caress is going on. This is literally an iphone 6s chassis why can't i just have a loving headphone jack

sounds like you lack courage.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i miss my 3.5 mm jack ;_;

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

other than when it's being ignored, yes. like 99% of the time its fine, but occasionally, it just goes max bright in pocket and heats up from it.

this isn't a rare thing, it happens regularly and i can't be the only one?
I haven't seen that, as I don't have the auto brightness on, but any number of times I've gone into camera mode putting it into my pocket because I've accidentally swiped the screen. it's dumb as gently caress.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*pvt. pyle voice* three point five millimeter. full headphone jacked

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that’s wild. i never have these issues. not saying y’all aren’t all totally correct i just never have.

on the other hand i’ve been using this iphone 11 after my so upgraded and the screen durability is garbage. my old iphone has basically no screen marks at all. this thing meanwhile is riddled with scratches and some are quite deep. i haven’t changed how i use the phone at all so i’m mildly convinced they switched something with the glass

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mediaphage posted:

that’s wild. i never have these issues. not saying y’all aren’t all totally correct i just never have.

on the other hand i’ve been using this iphone 11 after my so upgraded and the screen durability is garbage. my old iphone has basically no screen marks at all. this thing meanwhile is riddled with scratches and some are quite deep. i haven’t changed how i use the phone at all so i’m mildly convinced they switched something with the glass

yeah i experienced the same thing going from 6s->11. My case didn't come in until two weeks later and in that time the screen got a massive gash from, idk, a crumb on one of the tables it was on or something. it looked more beat up than my 5 year old 6s.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think they actually did switch glass at some
point, it became less prone to shattering but more prone to scratching

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in this house, fruit gadget does not get used until it has a case and a screen protector

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I usually just get a couple packs of those spigen glass screen protectors. they come in packs of 3 so you have a couple tries if you accidentally let a spec of dust get under. do a peel and replace every 6-12 months or so when they get beat up enough or the oleophobic coating has worn off. they also come with an alignment tool so it's very easy not to gently caress up the placement

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah that’s my new rule too, i’m very annoyed since i’m stuck with the scratches til next year at a minimum. my so still upgrades every two years because he’s on a contracted corporate plan so there’s no good reason not to and i’m not gonna say no to a free phone lol

though i might start getting the batteries replaced

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
idk how but i never seem to scratch my phones and i don't use screen protectors

i do keep a case with a lip on it though so the glass never lays flat on any surface so i bet that helps a lot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

polyester concept posted:

I usually just get a couple packs of those spigen glass screen protectors. they come in packs of 3 so you have a couple tries if you accidentally let a spec of dust get under. do a peel and replace every 6-12 months or so when they get beat up enough or the oleophobic coating has worn off. they also come with an alignment tool so it's very easy not to gently caress up the placement

yep this is exactly what i get, spigen clear slim cases and matte finish screen protectors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

polyester concept posted:

they come in packs of 3 so you have a couple tries if you accidentally let a spec of dust get under.

lol scrub

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
haven't used a screen protector in many generations.

spigen case is the pro choice for sure.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

at some point i just stopped caring about screen protectors or cases. i think the last one i really used both with was the iphone 3g

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i used to not care but then decided i would always have the biggest latest apple timbphone so

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a smartish case. its grippy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
guy I work with uses a completely naked iphone. looks great, and no real scratches or scuffs

one of my friends has never used a case for his 8 and it has at most a little dent after years of use

pretty sure these people are magic

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

guy I work with uses a completely naked iphone. looks great, and no real scratches or scuffs

one of my friends has never used a case for his 8 and it has at most a little dent after years of use

pretty sure these people are magic

it means they don't have an active lifestyle

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i used an iphone 6 for like 7 years and the worst it had was a scuff on the corner.

the SE2 i replaced it with had broken back glass within a few months because it loving slid off an endtable that wasn't perfectly level at my parents house. so now it's the first iphone i've put a case on. stupid design.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

it means they don't have an active lifestyle

I use to go caseless until the applecare expired, now I have a toddler and a cracked screen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my lifestyle is very active, every day I spend an hour banging my phone on random poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Perplx posted:

I use to go caseless until the applecare expired, now I have a toddler and a cracked screen

see if you can get a refund on the toddler

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"no refunds"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pretty long article about the ar headset in bloomberg businessweek https://apple.news/AQ5OORiIlT2uq5rHk_E_ufA / https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2023-05-18/apple-s-mixed-reality-headset-may-define-tim-cook-s-legacy

quote:

Apple’s ambition is that customers will eventually wear the device continuously all day, replacing daily tasks done on an iPhone or a Mac such as playing games, browsing the web, emailing, doing FaceTime video calls while collaborating in apps, working out and even meditating. It will feature hand and eye control and run many of the kinds of apps found on Apple’s other devices.

The company doesn’t see the headset being as immediately transformative as the iPhone. But internal projections give it the potential to eventually be as big as the iPad or the Apple Watch, as the company adds features and reduces the price with subsequent versions. That could mean a contribution of more than $25 billion annually to the company’s revenue. Apple knows this will take time. It initially hoped it could sell about 3 million units a year out of the gate, but it’s pared back those estimates to about 1 million, then to 900,000 units. By comparison, the company sells more than 200 million iPhones a year.

The lower initial estimates in part reflect Apple’s decision to sell the headset roughly at cost instead of at a loss, something it once considered. The product’s design is also a tacit admission that the company, like others that have made mixed-reality headsets, hasn’t been able to solve some core technological problems. Features such as the ability to function as an external Mac monitor and to make multiperson video calls are less advanced than the company initially intended, though it hopes to improve them. Apple also had wanted to integrate the battery into the headset, according to people familiar with the project. But to reduce weight and keep the device from overheating, it made a very un-Apple-like design compromise: It redesigned the battery as an iPhone-size pack that sits in a user’s pocket, attached by a power cord.

it also has its own os called "xrOS" (apparently means cross-reality lol)

a great story about compromise :shepface:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oops. added quotes to uhh the other post lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

pretty long article about the ar headset in bloomberg businessweek https://apple.news/AQ5OORiIlT2uq5rHk_E_ufA / https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2023-05-18/apple-s-mixed-reality-headset-may-define-tim-cook-s-legacy

it also has its own os called "xrOS" (apparently means cross-reality lol)

a great story about compromise :shepface:

the correct pronunciation is "ecks ross"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only good thing about this is tim isn't vain enough to keep investing in it if it's a huge flop