Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

A guy has been mad forever on the internet and will likely die mad

At which point Nissan will throw 10K at whoever has the power of attorney, and they'll get the domain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The worst snipe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao nissan.com owns

petty domain squatting ftw

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
its been like that since at least the mid 90s. i remember laughing at it when my grandpa wanted to look at buying an altima

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

on the other hand, the death animations and scenarios for KQ6 were so thorough I think we specifically tried to find every way to kill alexander

This was how we played Space Quest III, too. We actually finished that game, and by "we" I mean myself and my older and younger siblings, and that's the only PC game we every played together, in particular my sisters had little interest in the other games we had for the PS1 (not Playstation 1, the IBM PS-1 we had) but they were on board for finding new ways to get decapitated or ground to a paste or otherwise hilariously die in every scene.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
pretty sure that guy died a few years ago.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used
to go to some dudes house and he’s copy amiga disks ar $2 a pop and he had a huge catalog and he’d used x copy pro and most games would copy with normal copy mode but prince of persia required you to used the ULTRA SLOW mode and I wish I knew why or what special stuff it did

I spose it was easy enough for amiga games to use their own driver implementation so maybe they could look at the entire sector including parity bits etc and and make custom use of them idk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

in my experience whenever you used slow write it was because something had gone wrong with a normal mode copy and you'd rather play safe than have to buy more disks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I remember this specific game (i’m sure it was prince of persia) required this mode. it also took ages to read the sector

amiga games weee plagued with disk errors tho. playing a game with no errors was a treat. somehow monkey island 2 that was on 12 was ok

i look back now at the dude who sold the games. i was like 9 and id call up ask to come over and my mum would sit there while i chose from his catalog and it’s only later in life when I smelled BO that it reminded me of his place so he must have smelt bad. i had no idea piracy was illegal and he just ran this real money for pirates goods out of his garage. he had thousands of games and programs. maybe they got mailed to him

deluxe paint 😍

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
slow write
[guitar]
take it easy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mantle posted:

Lol what's the story behind this?

One of the few times a large company actually found out after loving around

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

it used to be a thing, don't know if it still is, for anime fansubs to have a big "this is available for free at [sub group's website], if you paid for this you got ripped off" message at the start of episodes on the subject of selling stuff you probably shouldn't be selling, kinda reminds me of the paid emulators you get on android these days though i guess that's a thing bleem and connectix started

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

laserghost posted:

Can't count how much computers I have "fixed" during that era by disabling Active Desktop that some definitely non-tech-wise family friend enabled trying to change their wallpaper

Also people asking me to "make things bigger on the screen" by lowering the desktop resolution

in that era i used to ‘fix’ a lot of computers for people by just unchecking a long list of bullshit in their startup items

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

leisure suit larry had age gate questions that worked amazingly well to keep me and my buddy from playing the horny game. i remember stuff like ‘what kind of drink is a screwdriver’ and ‘what would you use a prophylactic for’. we were totally stumped

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fixing computers by uninstalling norton

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

echinopsis posted:

I used
to go to some dudes house and he’s copy amiga disks ar $2 a pop and he had a huge catalog and he’d used x copy pro and most games would copy with normal copy mode but prince of persia required you to used the ULTRA SLOW mode and I wish I knew why or what special stuff it did

I spose it was easy enough for amiga games to use their own driver implementation so maybe they could look at the entire sector including parity bits etc and and make custom use of them idk

I'm probably bullshitting here trying to remember where I've read it, but I think Prince had an unique "fuzzy bit" in one of the floppies' sectors, which otherwise should be a defect in the manufacturing, but was precisely made like that because it was hard to copy using home copiers like x-copy and the game code knew to expect this bit. Although this kind of sector fuckery was more common on Apple II scene than Amiga, but again, I'm bullshitting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
a lot of floppy disk games used various ways of loving with the way the disk was read as a form of copy protection. idk about prince of persia on amiga specifically but usually things like that needed special tools or modes to copy them and some didn't work at all

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

normal copy mode would just do a byte by byte copy of the disk, but since the amiga floppy controller just read the raw magnetic transitions and passed them to the CPU for software decoding the disk format could be literally anything and didn't have to be split into sectors or even separate bytes. so nibble mode used a different (slower) algorithm for determining what the data on the disk actually was

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

f-15 strike eagle ii looked like an unformatted disk to dos and windows, but had a boot sector to launch the game if you booted from the floppy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
On the subject of stupid computer tricks, the X-Men game for Sega Genesis told you at a certain point to "reset the computer," but required you to press the physical reset button on your console. I'm honestly curious whether the reset button actually (briefly) generated an interrupt of some kind that they hooked into, or they discovered some quirk of the manufacturing that could be detected at run time before the reset fully happened.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

resetting puts the CPU into a known default state, but it doesn't clear any of the RAM. so i guess you'd just put a flag in RAM somewhere and then check it as part of the bootstrap code

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the best part of that was that there were later revisions of the mega drive/genesis hardware without a hardware reset button, so the game was unbeatable on those systems.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

and there were a couple of developers playing around with how consoles handled ram at the time, the most famous obviously being the stop 'n' swop system rare were considering for banjo kazooie but were told no you're literally going to get people to break their console doing this. i still enjoy devs loving with the actual physical hardware, like i think zelda phantom hourglass on the DS needing you to close the system to imprint a map, though screaming "I WANT IT" into the microphone to get an item then saying "yeah you could've just pressed A" was funnier

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 18, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Bleem

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Leperflesh posted:

fixing computers by uninstalling norton

good one

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

fond memories of going to computer shows and for a while there was always one vendor with bleem or bleemcast running on a big honkin' 19" CRT

:allears: computer shows :allears:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i still have the bleemcast GT2 disc around here somewhere. i bought it at sears on clearance lol

of course i also have the leaked version that works with a ton of games too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i also had the official dreamcast magazine and remember an ad for bleemcast when it was supposed to be in the form of "disc A will play 500 games, disc B will play xxx" etc

they were gonna release controllers and memory cards too. shame that never happened, it would've been cool

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

[90s educational rap] Don't copy that floppy! [/90s education l rap]

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

git apologist posted:

leisure suit larry

MEMORY UNLOCKED

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

MAMMARY UNLOCKED

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

njsykora posted:

and there were a couple of developers playing around with how consoles handled ram at the time, the most famous obviously being the stop 'n' swop system rare were considering for banjo kazooie but were told no you're literally going to get people to break their console doing this.

Iirc the reason was developers discovered the newer revisions of N64 cleared the RAM much faster than the old ones, making the cartridge swapping virtually impossible?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

laserghost posted:

Iirc the reason was developers discovered the newer revisions of N64 cleared the RAM much faster than the old ones, making the cartridge swapping virtually impossible?

i think that came in as well but the many interviews i've read with rare people on it say consistently that nintendo specifically shut it down as soon as they told them what they were doing. fortunately it lived on in the xbox 360 versions where the stop 'n' swop items gave bonus cosmetic parts in nuts and bolts, including a mr pants figure

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

read that as mr hands at first

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
European 8-bit micros had a copy protection mechanism in the 80s called Lenslok. Basically a chunk of plastic that you had to hold up to a pattern on the screen and it would display a few letters that needed to be typed. It was an absolute pain and only worked on TVs of a particular size, too small or too large and you ain't playing the game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Yeah but like 11 games used it, most famously original release of Elite and Digital Integration's flight sims, and only UK distributors were arsed to use it. It's a symbol of an era but barely made an impression on the industry overall

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Volmarias posted:

On the subject of stupid computer tricks, the X-Men game for Sega Genesis told you at a certain point to "reset the computer," but required you to press the physical reset button on your console. I'm honestly curious whether the reset button actually (briefly) generated an interrupt of some kind that they hooked into, or they discovered some quirk of the manufacturing that could be detected at run time before the reset fully happened.

i believe the early genesis consoles generated an interrupt and the console resets were software based for awhile

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

iirc the Genesis X-Men game effectively ran a coldboot attack on itself.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
javastations.

they were these little boxes where i guess they were dumb terminals but also only ran java applications???

like i am on record as saying Java is Fine but these things were awful

i was a TA and one of my duties was to monitor a lab that had like 20 of these and the entire year I never saw one finish booting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

told mom i wanted a playstation and i got this javastation