Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

huge crime that AEW didn't give us a best bros match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

AEW (allegedly) killed Lulupencil’s interest in wrestling so the lack of a best bros match is only the second greatest crime against wrestling BBT has committed

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I just thought that Mei would sign with either company due to her multiple appearances for both promotions and for wrestlers from those companies visiting her home promotion (SLK appearing in Ichigaya, Mizuki on some shows for example). Just based on that, I think companies are favorable towards her and wouldn't mind adding her to their roster. Like with the salon thing that was posted earlier, I would think that Stardom are planning to make Haruka a part of their roster.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I will only trust's Lulu Pencil's fists when it comes to the truth of this matter. She hasn't spoke on the matter so I can only assume she was co-opted by the same org that sent Kylie Rae to the M87 Nebula in 2020.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

AEW (allegedly) killed Lulupencil’s interest in wrestling so the lack of a best bros match is only the second greatest crime against wrestling BBT has committed

I mean, I love Lulu but there is no way AEW would have any use for her in a wrestling context.

It's weird, because RoH (more women's matches) would be a better place for somebody like Mei but the decreased viewership/scale would make it feel like a waste.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

I just thought that Mei would sign with either company due to her multiple appearances for both promotions and for wrestlers from those companies visiting her home promotion (SLK appearing in Ichigaya, Mizuki on some shows for example). Just based on that, I think companies are favorable towards her and wouldn't mind adding her to their roster. Like with the salon thing that was posted earlier, I would think that Stardom are planning to make Haruka a part of their roster.

On the other hand I'd assume Mei is quite OK with her current situation: she's training wrestlers now, she gets to wrestle Stardom AND TJPW bigger shows, and take US tours when she fancies it and still shows up in other joshi promotions like SEAdLINNNG & Sendai Girls

There's something to be said for the security of a contract and I don't know exactly how GM do as far as monthly income goes, but for now it seems like a solid place to be

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Anyway, whole reason I opened this thread was to post this for people who don't read the Puro thread: Sareee's first show back from her extended hiatus is today, it's pretty expensive but Hashimoto vs Sareee is always a banger

7pm JST/8pm AEST/11am BST/6am EST/3am PST

Sareee-ISM Chapter One
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
Riko Kaiju vs Yurika Oka
AKARI & Arisa Nakajima vs Ibuki Hoshi & Miyuki Takase
Jaguar Yokota & Nanae Takahashi vs Kaoru Ito & X
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Sareee
Live iPPV

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

There's something to be said for the security of a contract and I don't know exactly how GM do as far as monthly income goes, but for now it seems like a solid place to be

This is an interesting question so let's see what the latest show (number 311) tells us

The seating plan says that a sold out show at Ichigaya can seat 70 persons (not that they reach that number regularly or ever?). Each ticket costs $28.35, standing outside is a slightly discounted $20.25.

I'll do a rough (rough because it requires the audience to be filmed and there's people who the camera doesn't swing around to show) head count:
4 sitting outside on chairs
1 standing outside
4 sitting on the right hand side
5 sitting on the left hand side
4 standing on the left hand side
6* behind the hard cam *(probably 1 to 3 more)
Total Visible Attendance = 24

+ 1 $20 superchat on youtube
+ 8 $25.00 ChocoBouquets (essentially per show sponsorships)

23x$28.35 = $652.05
+1x$20.25 = $672.30
+1x$20.00 = $692.30
+8x$25.00 = $892.30

So conservatively ~$892.30 for a not very well attended show without anything other than tags and a multiman on the card.

Now we come to the monthly sponsorships. Two tiers of named sponsors appear on the show. ChocoBars which is a $100 per month supporter (there are ChocoBars for some of the wrestlers on the roster but not all and I've never understood what that actually means) and ChocoGodzilla which is $500 a month (ChocoGodzillas have also been given to support in other ways like interviewing a ChocoPro wrestler on a podcast).

There are 3 ChocoGodzillas and 29 ChocoBars appearing in the episode by my tally.

3x$500 = $1500
+29x$100 = $4400

So $4400 per month from sponsors (not counting youtube memberships and the 66 Patreon supporters, some of which may be ChocoBars or ChocoGodzillas)

Gatohmove as a whole (which really means ChocoPro plus some bigger events) runs around 2 shows every week. The actual number according to Cagematch varies from 6 to 9 shows a month with the occasional dip down to 4 and up to 11. Last year, they ran 104 shows right on the button.

If we assume (massive assumptions here) no big shows (with higher attendance and ticket prices) and that the $892.30 is a reasonable number, then 8 shows a month produces an income of $7,138.40 through ticket sales each month.

Combined sponsorship and ticket sales comes to around a very rough estimate of $11,538.40 each month.

Then you add merch, chekis and online signings. Which if I was interested in tracking could get a non-Cheki estimate but gently caress that's way more effort than watching a video a little.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

The Taxman posted:

I mean, I love Lulu but there is no way AEW would have any use for her in a wrestling context.

I totally agree, it just sucks that confirmation of that is seemingly what led to her hanging it up. I just hope it wasn’t that people (either backstage or fans) were being dicks to her and it discouraged her so much she quit

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Even when people are being positive about Lulu it's often fairly intense. She struck a real chord but as someone who was primarily doing wrestling as a fun side thing that's attention she might not have wanted.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The only comment I've heard from Lulu about her time backstage in AEW is that she loved Eddie Kingston.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah I guess I'm curious about who's doing the alleging here

Insertnamehere31 posted:

AEW (allegedly) killed Lulupencil’s interest in wrestling

because I don't think I've ever really seen anybody suggest that outside of pure speculation here and on Twitter. Especially given the nature of the "anyone can learn to wrestle" program she started wrestling in, it seems more likely that she just hit a point where she was like, "okay well I've already gone way, way past what seemed to be my ceiling with this, it's probably time to stop before it gets in the way of my real job" tbh

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Mr. Squishy posted:

The only comment I've heard from Lulu about her time backstage in AEW is that she loved Eddie Kingston.

real 1s love the mad king

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

Yeah I guess I'm curious about who's doing the alleging here

because I don't think I've ever really seen anybody suggest that outside of pure speculation here and on Twitter. Especially given the nature of the "anyone can learn to wrestle" program she started wrestling in, it seems more likely that she just hit a point where she was like, "okay well I've already gone way, way past what seemed to be my ceiling with this, it's probably time to stop before it gets in the way of my real job" tbh

I don’t think there’s ever been a legit report beyond random internet speculation, and that’s certainly a realistic read on the situation rather than assuming some kind of drama.

I think the biggest argument against that would be the lack of a graduation match. If it really was just “that was fun, now back to real life” then I would imagine Gatoh Move would have wanted to send her off. But it’s also entirely possible she didn’t want to make a big deal about it and the rest of the crew is just honoring her wish to separate quietly without fanfare.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
CM Punk made Lulu cry.

But it was actually really sweet

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taxman posted:

you say that, but the first episode of Collision is called The Second Coming sooooooo...

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

you say that, but the first episode of Collision is called The Second Coming sooooooo...

At least I would pop for Lulu and not boo furiously at my tv

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Johnny Landmine posted:

Perhaps a bit of one, a bit of the other?

The timing certainly suggests that the US trip was the catalyst in one way or another. I could see her having discussions with Emi while in America that convinced her that she'd hit her high-water mark and that her choices were to either keep running the ChocoPro treadmill endlessly, or to try and train to become a full-timer with no guarantee that anywhere else that paid decently would have a place for her, and she decided "well, my day job PAYS and I'm less likely to get concussed there."

I think what surprised most of us was the completeness of it; she came home from America, did one cameo appearance in Ichigaya to speak to the fans and then ghosted not just actively wrestling but her entire Lulu persona and related online presence. No likes of her fellow Chocos' posts, no encouragement for people to watch Choco streams, no "thank you, Pencil Army, but respectfully, I am done" farewells to her fandom. It doesn't argue _against_ some hostility; what's in question, I suppose, is against whom it was directed if it exists.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Alternative theory, Lulu’s abs were too powerful for tv

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/senjo2006/status/1659539617639727108

There's some speculation that Meiko might have quit WWE/her contract expired.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

But she did so well in NXT UK.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I completely forgot that she worked for WWE

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

In silly petty Joshi wrestling adjacent news.

Last week when I was shopping I found a pack of Joshi Wrestler trading cards. Like the ones you get for baseball or football players.

So bought a pack, picked the first card I saw, and have posted it to my 12 year old niece back in Australia.

So her favourite wrestler now is Totoro Satsuki. She has no choice. Uncle BrigadierSensible knows best.

It sucks a little, coz I would have preferred to get her a Hyper Misao card, but this one has a tiger on it and my niece barracks for Richmond. So, all in all it could be worse,

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Breaking news Mei is no longer wrestling Stardom's Miyu Amasaki on her 5th anniversary show due to Stardom requesting that Amasaki rest up

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Who's up watchin' Teej?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sawyer Wreck vs. Miyu should be real good.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

BrigadierSensible posted:

In silly petty Joshi wrestling adjacent news.

Last week when I was shopping I found a pack of Joshi Wrestler trading cards. Like the ones you get for baseball or football players.

So bought a pack, picked the first card I saw, and have posted it to my 12 year old niece back in Australia.

So her favourite wrestler now is Totoro Satsuki. She has no choice. Uncle BrigadierSensible knows best.

It sucks a little, coz I would have preferred to get her a Hyper Misao card, but this one has a tiger on it and my niece barracks for Richmond. So, all in all it could be worse,

Yeah BBM cards have been around for quite a while, and they have them for a wide variety of things. BBM starts doing photo shoots near end of year, and go out in February or so. People usually preorder boxes from Mint Mall or whatever so they can get packs nobody has pulled the chekis from and resealed.

Individual cards are easy to find on like Yahoo Japan, and range from a few bucks for regular cards, to hundreds for signed in case you want to get anything specific (make sure to search for the names in Japanese). Some of the wrestlers go completely nuts when decorating chekis (Miu Watanabe, for example), so those are fun to see.

Here are some from last year's set:

https://japanesewrestlingguide.wordpress.com/2022/04/09/2022-bbm-womens-wrestling-cheki-archive/

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 20, 2023

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I'm still not used to the TJPW rookie music so it takes me awhile to realize who it is.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Quick fun night. Himawari continues to impress me, and shout outs to Yoppy and Aniki for being able to fill in for Yuki and Rika last minute.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

this spike headscissor from the mat Kamiyu's been doing is the current coolest move in TJPW

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1659803987476992002

love a move that is entirely executed while laying down

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Doctor Boskonovitch style.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

fez_machine posted:

Breaking news Mei is no longer wrestling Stardom's Miyu Amasaki on her 5th anniversary show due to Stardom requesting that Amasaki rest up

Time to book somebody from TJPW!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Mei Suruga vs Mei St Michel dream match

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Maki did some wild poo poo tonight at GCW, including what is likely an untoppable diamond head spot: she no sold an unprotected headshot with a steel chair and then did the power-up by hitting her head with the chair repeatedly

And spoiler to nobody: Rina Yamashita rules.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Stardom teasing a current generation vs next generation fued.

https://twitter.com/_Maika0324/status/1660199110862053376?t=k2eFpqw1xOaafzgTjaIUoA&s=19

Hook that match up to my veins.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm watching the Kim Justice video on Hustle and never again will I say it's cute that Aja Kong works TJPW

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man I hope she’s doing ok :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/misao_tjp/status/1660478832091213824?s=46

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
That kind of post is always so alarming after Hana.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

She did an interview not long ago talking about her mental health and how bad it got before she found pro wrestling and I’m sure it’s still a struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Don't like to see that at all