Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
enter and carriage return should never have been placed on the same key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
got some pop down ad in Edge today telling me I should go download their mobile app lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

edge reset my search engine to Bing again

anytime i update, half of my default apps will randomly be reset

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

also lol at tying an office install to a microsoft account

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

AnimeIsTrash posted:

only bonus is if you have an educational account

i'm not an active student anywhere, but i get office 365 for free that way, and i also got my windows 10/11 licenses that way. supposedly the education edition is pro (and has some disabled analytics i guess?) but i converted it to pro workstation, the procedure is absurdly easy. once you do that the license then gets tied to the account and you can use it on any machine to activate so it is actually pretty useful imo

e: to be clear you can change editions without paying anything

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but then you end up with windows

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Tankakern posted:

but then you end up with windows

which i then use mostly for linux stuff lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the family version of office 365 is pretty decent (multiple installs and 1T onedrive for each of multiple users) especially if you wait to get it when there's a discount

also since microsoft is actively developing office to some degree again it's harder to use old versions unless you're just creating documents for your own purposes in which case you can probably just use the free online version or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

the family version of office 365 is pretty decent (multiple installs and 1T onedrive for each of multiple users) especially if you wait to get it when there's a discount

oh i forgot to mention that you get unlimited onedrive storage with an educational account

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When is microsoft going to go over the top of services like calendly and just implement something I can ask people to grab a time on?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
thats sounds pretty useful, you'll need the highest level enterprise sku to get it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I search a chat in Teams, it will find the result in the list. If I click the result to go to the context, it just dumps me in the middle of the chat. My term/match isn't highlighted, and i'm pretty sure it's not in view. Maybe this is because I have compact mode on?

anyway, what a pos

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cascading style sheets are the real hardest problem in computer science

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I do like that a lot of advice about css is just give every component a unique or semi unique class name since the cascading part adds too much poo poo to deal with.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my favorite part of ~web development~ is when you have to use some 3rd party library and they use classes for both assigning styles and targeting elements to be used with javascript. so if you want to strip out the css so you can change how it looks you have to play the "is this class just for styles or is it required for functionality" game. it's extra fun when the answer is "both"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

polyester concept posted:

my favorite part of ~web development~ is when you have to use some 3rd party library and they use classes for both assigning styles and targeting elements to be used with javascript. so if you want to strip out the css so you can change how it looks you have to play the "is this class just for styles or is it required for functionality" game. it's extra fun when the answer is "both"

My rule of thumb when I was in the frontend mines was to use classes for styling and ids for javascript. If I needed a collection of elements in js, I'd use a data- attribute.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
not reinventing the wheel a thousand times is the actual hardest computer problem

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i did it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SHAGGAR RAIDS AGAIN!!!

in other microsoft news, what in the ever loving gently caress is this sicko poo poo:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

great, the "new outlook" only uses signatures configured in OWA and has no function to migrate any sigs that you configured in the app. businesses are gonna go apoplectic over that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats cause the "new outlook" is OWA

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can’t you just copy your sig from your own message in a reply thread or from a message in the sent folder?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

thats cause the "new outlook" is OWA

i had a look in OWA and there's no option to configure your sig lol good poo poo

Last Chance posted:

can’t you just copy your sig from your own message in a reply thread or from a message in the sent folder?

well yeah but like that's annoying

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Hed posted:

If I search a chat in Teams, it will find the result in the list. If I click the result to go to the context, it just dumps me in the middle of the chat. My term/match isn't highlighted, and i'm pretty sure it's not in view. Maybe this is because I have compact mode on?

anyway, what a pos

Teams does something super fucky with older messages, it either outright removes them or makes them "just there", they show up in the search results so you know they haven't been removed, but good luck finding them. Extra annoying with randomly disappearing date/time signatures because who tf would searches through chat, a placr where a ton of current info is exchanged daily, right???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

i did it

hot drat

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imo installing your os on an inappropriate piece of hardware to get zero actual usability out of it is pure linux mindset even if the os is windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it runs like total poo poo and also windows 11 is terrible so yeah its a pretty linux thing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

i did it

even if thats slow as poo poo it's pretty cool

i was trying to get windows 7 to run in qemu on my huawei android phone with similar specs and gave up lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they should just make a win 11 mobile

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the problem is they hosed up every windows store app and they're all edge webview2 wrappers around web poo poo so they all suck rear end.

cache__
Apr 23, 2023

Shaggar posted:

the problem is they hosed up every windows store app and they're all edge webview2 wrappers around web poo poo so they all suck rear end.

releasing two pigs labeled "edge webview1" and "edge webview3"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
webview original is IE/trident

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

The problem is while the c++ people and the dotnet people at microsoft were fighting each other, javascript won and now even microsoft only wants to make webapps

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

The problem is while the c++ people and the dotnet people at microsoft were fighting each other, javascript won and now even microsoft only wants to make webapps

luckily (lol) typescript also won, and microsoft owns the electron team, so the evil empire does in that regard remain unchanged

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

does the search in Teams just not look at the filename of poo poo people have linked?

like I can see the file in Sharepoint, it's called "Requirements v1.5 final version updated.docx" or whatever.
search Teams for that and it returns zero results. but search for random words that I think the PM probably used when sharing the link and there it is - one message found in one of the dozen different project chat groups.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
search searching for a file based on the file name would be entirely too straightforward and functional for a microsoft product

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
going to SharePoint in the waffle menu and searching for the document name or any contents you might remember from it will work a million times better than Teams search

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i wish not using Teams was an option

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

all communication should be abolished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there's so much about this dialog that should be against the law. i think anyway, i don't have a specific reason, because i genuinely don't understand what the buttons do.