Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

I need to stop forgetting my shin socks on deadlift day jesus christ

I need some of these. I keep scraping up my shins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

akadajet posted:

I need some of these. I keep scraping up my shins.

It’s the worst part of the lift 😩

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I just need to take a moment to express my deep hatred for the loving Concept2 SkiErg. My trainer currently has me replacing the rows in my conditioning circuits, and I just cannot use this machine in a way that doesn't feel terribly awkward. I'm sure it's probably good for me, but I still dread every time I have to use it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

oh yea, speaking of numbers that you want to be small, my 1/2 marathon time was 1:33:08 including two piss breaks :sanix:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

back at it with the 6 day 6 week kettlebell/yoga routine. got good results last cycle, just gotta stay on task with it again.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

LanceHunter posted:

I just need to take a moment to express my deep hatred for the loving Concept2 SkiErg. My trainer currently has me replacing the rows in my conditioning circuits, and I just cannot use this machine in a way that doesn't feel terribly awkward. I'm sure it's probably good for me, but I still dread every time I have to use it.

i dont know what that is OP

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i dont know what that is OP

It's what happens when someone looks at one of those NordicTrack ski machines from the 80s and says "how can I convince Crossfit people to buy this?"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

It's what happens when someone looks at one of those NordicTrack ski machines from the 80s and says "how can I convince Crossfit people to buy this?"

why are you doing CrossFit?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

akadajet posted:

why are you doing CrossFit?

Oh I'm not. But their style of equipment has bled over into most gyms now-a-days.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

post hole digger posted:

back at it with the 6 day 6 week kettlebell/yoga routine. got good results last cycle, just gotta stay on task with it again.

this sounds intriguing is it available anywhere? I’ve got about 3 weeks left on my cycle before I get bored and I’m trying to find something new to do

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hed posted:

this sounds intriguing is it available anywhere? I’ve got about 3 weeks left on my cycle before I get bored and I’m trying to find something new to do

yea short answer is its this https://www.onnit.com/six-kettlebell/

its kinda expensive at $50 but it goes on sale for $25 a lot if youre willing to just kinda check in once in a while. memorial day weekend might be a good time to keep an eye on it (although its not on sale as of right now). otherwise i'd offer to post a d/l link of the vids and write-up the basic program but i'm not sure if i'd get in trouble for that. it is video based (itd be kind of hard to program without the videos imo unless you have a really good timer system down, its a lot of timed 40 second on, 20 second off, 20 second on, 10 second off type stuff). but its pretty fun and different, and i always notice a big difference in mobility (especially hips) with all of the warm up/cool down stretching involved. basic structure is 15 min warm up stretching, 25-30 minute kettlebell workout, 15 minute cooldown stretching 4 days a week, yoga 2 days a week. 3 different workouts you cycle through for the first 3 weeks, then the stretching, workouts, and yoga routine change for the last 3 weeks.

i started using it during covid and its kind of nice to just turn on the video for an hour and go through things without having to think too much about programming your routine. if i try to program my own kettlebell routine i usually go too hard and burn myself out. i use a pretty light weight for most of it (25 lb) but am usually using a 35 lb kb for most exercises by the end.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
does onnit still make the kettlebell that looks like a gorilla head?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

ya i think so. they make some goofy ones for sure. they used to make like a death star and little goblin head bell and all sorts of dumb poo poo. mine are all rep fitness ones (good middle ground of price and quality) or some very lovely ones i bought from wal mart like 10 years ago (bad. very bad)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Excuse me, I think you mean Primal Bells.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

steroid cycle?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

post hole digger posted:

yea short answer is its this https://www.onnit.com/six-kettlebell/

its kinda expensive at $50 but it goes on sale for $25 a lot if youre willing to just kinda check in once in a while. memorial day weekend might be a good time to keep an eye on it (although its not on sale as of right now). otherwise i'd offer to post a d/l link of the vids and write-up the basic program but i'm not sure if i'd get in trouble for that. it is video based (itd be kind of hard to program without the videos imo unless you have a really good timer system down, its a lot of timed 40 second on, 20 second off, 20 second on, 10 second off type stuff). but its pretty fun and different, and i always notice a big difference in mobility (especially hips) with all of the warm up/cool down stretching involved. basic structure is 15 min warm up stretching, 25-30 minute kettlebell workout, 15 minute cooldown stretching 4 days a week, yoga 2 days a week. 3 different workouts you cycle through for the first 3 weeks, then the stretching, workouts, and yoga routine change for the last 3 weeks.

i started using it during covid and its kind of nice to just turn on the video for an hour and go through things without having to think too much about programming your routine. if i try to program my own kettlebell routine i usually go too hard and burn myself out. i use a pretty light weight for most of it (25 lb) but am usually using a 35 lb kb for most exercises by the end.

tyvm, will watch over the next couple of weeks.

akadajet posted:

steroid cycle?

Weird phrasing from me but my program. I basically do a cycle of different programs and once I get bored will add something else. It keeps it interesting which keeps me motivated.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

tyvm, will watch over the next couple of weeks.

Weird phrasing from me but my program. I basically do a cycle of different programs and once I get bored will add something else. It keeps it interesting which keeps me motivated.

okay, because I was going to say if you were at the point where you are doing cycles a novice kettlebell program might not be for you.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
squat 200lb for 5x5 today :) i know it's not a lot but i started with the bar at the end of jan so it's a lot to me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nice work thats a pretty quick acclimation. 4 wheels soon :pray:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

great work everyone but especially on the new squat max

ive come to realize months of complaining about deadlift grip is the only thing that has had a positive effect is doing more deadlifts

so i added extra sets to warm up and cool down my grip, been working well

my core can do it my hands cant is the problem

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Share Bear posted:

great work everyone but especially on the new squat max

ive come to realize months of complaining about deadlift grip is the only thing that has had a positive effect is doing more deadlifts

so i added extra sets to warm up and cool down my grip, been working well

my core can do it my hands cant is the problem

sounds like all that complaining paid off. thats the indefatigable power of complaining for you :cheers:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

just got my 16kg kettlebell in. drat this thing is heavy, better get to training.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol i ordered a 1pud kettlebell way back when. it arrived with the exterior all busted (but perfectly functional) so they sent me another one. i would definitely die if i tried to use it now, i have trouble reconciling that fact with the fact that i used to do turkish getups with it no problem

i keep meaning to do _something_ with my kettlebells (and the small 20?lb one i have) and then....not

also i haven't weighed myself in like a week due to not wanting to. some medicine i was on really messed with my system and also i've been smoking a lot of meats so i kinda wanna let things even out for a bit lest i disappoint myself.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the new tech of doing extra aerobic lifts before/after to help windedness and grip strength has been coming along great, and wouldn't have occurred to me on the 5x5 treadmill i've internalize over the past decade

first day of summer binches who is still out there

who wants to get started

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Share Bear posted:

first day of summer binches who is still out there

who wants to get started

:letsgo:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

had a terrible workout today but it was better than yesterdays even more terrible workout, and at least i got them both in. been tired and struggling with focus and energy during workouts lately.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

post hole digger posted:

had a terrible workout today but it was better than yesterdays even more terrible workout, and at least i got them both in. been tired and struggling with focus and energy during workouts lately.

keepin at it is the real struggle and good job on committing, but also don't overdo it and take breaks if you're real tired/out of it etc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

its fat boy summer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
finally

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its fat boy summer
hell yeah

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Thought I would greet the sunrise on the solstice with a walk around the lake. Then when my alarm went off at 5am I realized that was a loving stupid idea. Now I'm debating if I'm going to get in a short yoga workout since it's apparently International Day of Yoga and my Apple Watch will give me a cheevo if I do at least 10 minutes of yoga today.

All those are just asides, though. Today's actual workout will happen at the gym later tonight. Gonna push for 3x5 at 340# on the trap bar.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

trying to reduce the number of carbs I'm eating and I don't know if this correlates, but god drat was this workout tough today

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

p sure it does, carbs are the short term calorie providers. your body can convert them on short order

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I bought a squat rack today

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

polyester concept posted:

I’m very jealous

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

:nice:

Are you going with arms or bars/pipes for safety?

Also, accomplished the 3x5 @ 340# for my trap bar deadlifts today. Today's big lesson is that, since I've been losing so much weight, I no longer have the cushion of my belly against my thighs helping to stabilize my core at the bottom of the movement. I've eschewed using a weight belt for the longest time, but now I might need to re-consider that. Or I could just keep flexing my core as hard as possible...

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

LanceHunter posted:

:nice:

Are you going with arms or bars/pipes for safety?

It has arms - is one better or worse? I used to see a trainer at the gym and the equipment there all had arms, and my trainer would obviously spot me. That said I don't intend to be lifting anywhere near the rated capacity any time soon

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its fat boy summer

thot boy summer :yosbutt:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It has arms - is one better or worse? I used to see a trainer at the gym and the equipment there all had arms, and my trainer would obviously spot me. That said I don't intend to be lifting anywhere near the rated capacity any time soon

Both will get the job done just fine. The only real advantage of pipes is that you can't accidentally step too far back and be outside of where they can catch the catch the bar. (But, of course, you need a full cage rack to be able to use them.) That said, I know some powerlifters who don't use either and prefer to just ditch if they reach failure. It's absolutely terrifying every time it happens, but they never get hurt doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Goes on A Long Run and Gets Pissed Off at His Apple Watch tm Because the Goddamn vo2 max Cardio Fitness Level Won’t Go Up After Weeks Of Work :rant: