Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The interview on Jeff Greeling"s channel confirmed much improved pcie, so that should do it for decent USB finally. Tbh, it's really needed now, not in 2025 or whenever the new one comes out.
Personally I'd love to see emmc on the standard boards. Even as an option. I got used to using the CM4 and I don't miss sd cards.
I don't think they will though, but it'd be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's almost at the point where the range could split between boards that have video output and boards that don't. No point putting the hardware on to drive an HDMI port when loads of Pis never go near a display.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have a C.H.I.P. for sale/free if anyone has a use for it. Comes with the HDMI and composite cable accessories. It's an original run with 8GB flash and the back cover (no PocketCHIP). Is anyone here still using it as a platform?

Alternatively, is anyone selling a PocketCHIP without CHIP that I could buy? I'd set it up as a computer for my niece/nephews.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there a reliable method to buy a microSD card on Amazon and not get scammed?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

This doesn't directly answer your question, but this analysis of manufacturing practices may give you some more information on deciding what card to buy and from where: https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Nobody other than Amazon is able to list new AmazonBasics micro SD cards, so in theory those are never fakes

Apparently they work well in Pi's - https://bret.dk/is-the-amazon-basics-microsd-card-still-worth-it/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God I hate SD cards. I totally get why they use them but outside of tinkering they are really a hindrance.

To that end: My ADSB Pi in the attic hair died again after I put a new microSD in it last week. I’m going to try and put a new power supply on it but I’m worried the Pi itself is on the way out. It’s a model 2B so it’s had a good run, but ugh. Are zero W2s any easier to get these days?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
According to rpilocator there were Zero 2 W's in stock at adafruit as recently as last week.

Death of Prime
Nov 3, 2005

Dead...for now

sb hermit posted:

If you don't mind, can you try again with your old mnt command?

Disabling squash mapping should hopefully fix more access configuration issues.

If you still encounter issues, and "sudo chmod 755 /mnt/share" doesn't work, then please try this:

code:
sudo mount -t nfs4 -o proto=tcp,port=2049,no_root_squash 192.168.1.247:/volume1 /mnt/share

sudo ls -lAd /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'

sudo ls /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
If this still doesn't work then we may have to try using a lower nfs version number or seeing if some synology web ui option was overlooked.

Using my original mount command with. I can now see the folders inside "Shared Videos' but still cant get into the directory.

Using the new one suggested

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Death of Prime posted:

Using my original mount command with. I can now see the folders inside "Shared Videos' but still cant get into the directory.

Using the new one suggested

Great! This is some good progress. The permissions that were set on Shared Videos shoud have allowed you to look inside, so these errors are likely because of nfs4 specific stuff or the permissions on /mnt/share are restrictive.

From your previous post, it looks like /mnt/share had some restrictive permissions on it. We can loosen it up a bit with:

code:
ls -lAd /mnt/share
sudo chmod ugo+x /mnt/share
ls -lAd /mnt/share
ls -lAd /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
All the "ls" commands are to help us understand the state of things, how they change, and if the changes are persistent.

If things work eithout errors, hopefully you can do

code:
ls -l /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
and see some more stuff. You'll particularly want to note the read permissions on the files that you want to use. In this case, if you are encountering issues, then posting the output of the above (ls -l /mnt/share/'Shared Videos') would be helpful.

We'll be getting into more hairy issues at this point, because it's likely your userid number on the pi will not match what's on the synology. If you're just reading files, and the permissions are ok, then this will be irrelevant. Otherwise, either we can patch around it with an earlier version of nfs, use idmapd, or something else. I'm not entirely sure about how to wrangle idmapd in this case (my systems use a centralized user database so the userid numbers are in sync) but we can work through it. Or we can try using squash, now that we see progress.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Death of Prime posted:

share is the folder I'm trying to get into

This was the previous set of permissions I was referring to earlier.

Keep in mind that root, as the superuser, is not subject to any access permissions whatsoever so they can (generally, with few caveats) see any directory or file regardless of what the permissions on them are.

Also, if it's much easier for you to copy and paste output instead of screenshots, then feel free to do so. But I highly suggest using code blocks (such as the ones in my posts) because fixed-width text makes some kinds of output much easier to understand.

Death of Prime
Nov 3, 2005

Dead...for now

sb hermit posted:

Great! This is some good progress. The permissions that were set on Shared Videos shoud have allowed you to look inside, so these errors are likely because of nfs4 specific stuff or the permissions on /mnt/share are restrictive.

From your previous post, it looks like /mnt/share had some restrictive permissions on it. We can loosen it up a bit with:

code:
ls -lAd /mnt/share
sudo chmod ugo+x /mnt/share
ls -lAd /mnt/share
ls -lAd /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
All the "ls" commands are to help us understand the state of things, how they change, and if the changes are persistent.

If things work eithout errors, hopefully you can do

code:
ls -l /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
and see some more stuff. You'll particularly want to note the read permissions on the files that you want to use. In this case, if you are encountering issues, then posting the output of the above (ls -l /mnt/share/'Shared Videos') would be helpful.

We'll be getting into more hairy issues at this point, because it's likely your userid number on the pi will not match what's on the synology. If you're just reading files, and the permissions are ok, then this will be irrelevant. Otherwise, either we can patch around it with an earlier version of nfs, use idmapd, or something else. I'm not entirely sure about how to wrangle idmapd in this case (my systems use a centralized user database so the userid numbers are in sync) but we can work through it. Or we can try using squash, now that we see progress.

No errors till the end when I try and open the directory. I would like it to read/write because I'm using sabnzbd on the pi and sending files to the Synology

code:
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo mount -t nfs4 -o proto=tcp,port=2049 192.168.1.247:/volume1 /mnt/share
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -lAd /mnt/share
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 736 May 22 11:22 /mnt/share
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo chmod ugo+x /mnt/share
chmod: changing permissions of '/mnt/share': Read-only file system
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -lAd /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
d--------- 1 root root 62 Apr 16 17:52 '/mnt/share/Shared Videos'
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
ls: cannot open directory '/mnt/share/Shared Videos': Permission denied

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Death of Prime posted:

No errors till the end when I try and open the directory. I would like it to read/write because I'm using sabnzbd on the pi and sending files to the Synology

code:
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo mount -t nfs4 -o proto=tcp,port=2049 192.168.1.247:/volume1 /mnt/share
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo chmod ugo+x /mnt/share
chmod: changing permissions of '/mnt/share': Read-only file system
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -lAd /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
d--------- 1 root root 62 Apr 16 17:52 '/mnt/share/Shared Videos'
pi4@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /mnt/share/'Shared Videos'
ls: cannot open directory '/mnt/share/Shared Videos': Permission denied

Ok, let's try a submount which should hopefully get past the read-only filesystem issue.

code:
sudo mount -t nfs4 -o proto=tcp,port=2049 192.168.1.247:/volume1/'Share Videos' /mnt/share

ls -lAd /mnt/share
sudo ls -l /mnt/share
ls -l /mnt/share
The first ls command is to see if the permissions are correct and if my mental model of your permissions layout is consistent.

The second ls command is to see who owns the subdirectories of the 'Share Videos' directory, which could help in figuring out if we could mount them as subvolumes as necessary and see how the permissions are set up. It has to be run as root so that the command succeeds and it also acts as a form of sanity check.

The third ls command is so that you can check how things work as the pi4 user instead of root. If that command succeeds then I suggest trying to see if you can access other files and directories and "kick the tires" so to speak.

From looking at an earlier post of yours:

Death of Prime posted:

pi4@raspberrypi:/mnt/share $ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPASSWORD //192.168.1.247/volume1/'Shared Videos' /mnt/share
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

I did use my actual username and password

I suspect that USERNAME on the synology is not "pi4". I just want to let you know that we may have to create a new user with this exact USERNAME so that you can write files later. You may also need to install an nfs package (possibly nfs-common?) to get idmapd, and also set your nfs domain correctly. We can cross that bridge once you get read access working. See:

https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_winmacnfs_nfs?version=7

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sb hermit posted:

Ok, let's try a submount which should hopefully get past the read-only filesystem issue.

code:
sudo mount -t nfs4 -o proto=tcp,port=2049 192.168.1.247:/volume1/'Share Videos' /mnt/share

ls -lAd /mnt/share
sudo ls -l /mnt/share
ls -l /mnt/share
The first ls command is to see if the permissions are correct and if my mental model of your permissions layout is consistent.

The second ls command is to see who owns the subdirectories of the 'Share Videos' directory, which could help in figuring out if we could mount them as subvolumes as necessary and see how the permissions are set up. It has to be run as root so that the command succeeds and it also acts as a form of sanity check.

The third ls command is so that you can check how things work as the pi4 user instead of root. If that command succeeds then I suggest trying to see if you can access other files and directories and "kick the tires" so to speak.

From looking at an earlier post of yours:

I suspect that USERNAME on the synology is not "pi4". I just want to let you know that we may have to create a new user with this exact USERNAME so that you can write files later. You may also need to install an nfs package (possibly nfs-common?) to get idmapd, and also set your nfs domain correctly. We can cross that bridge once you get read access working. See:

https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_winmacnfs_nfs?version=7

Do you have an explanation for what's gone wrong here? My mind is kind of blown that the cifs mount just didn't work.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

sb hermit posted:

I've never heard of idmapd before. Does idmapd map usernames to UIDs so that pi4(uid 1001) files on the server are owned by pi4(uid 4993) on the client?

Back in my day we'd just sync the password files using NIS, which I guess is YP now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

tuyop posted:

Do you have an explanation for what's gone wrong here? My mind is kind of blown that the cifs mount just didn't work.

By the way, I've been going with NFS because it's what the OP seems to want to do. CIFS behaves much more differently.

In this case, nfs has a configuration file called "exports" which defines how directories are exported. The configuration details change in subtle but incredibly significant ways between NFSv3 and NFSv4... one lf them is allowing submounts. So in NFSv4, you can mount a subdirectory of an export instead of the export itself, and this is actively encouraged (look for "fsid=0") in modern manpages for the exports file.

In this case, the top-level mount (Volume1) is probably exported read-only, but its subvolumes (the shared videos directory) are probably configured to be shared read/write.

OP, if you have the nfs package installed, you can type:
code:
sudo /sbin/showmount -e 192.168.1.247
which should give you the active configuration. You can install the nfs package with:
code:
sudo apt-get install nfs-common

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cruft posted:

I've never heard of idmapd before. Does idmapd map usernames to UIDs so that pi4(uid 1001) files on the server are owned by pi4(uid 4993) on the client?

Back in my day we'd just sync the password files using NIS, which I guess is YP now.

I think so. idmapd is an nfsv4 thing. I am not that familiar with it but hopefully the tooling has improved enough for me to use it easily.

NIS is so 70s. LDAP support has been around since the 90s and even Microsoft picked it up for Active Directory so it's the current hotness. I've been using it on all my systems since the 90s and I almost got Darwin (the mac os x kernel) working with it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sb hermit posted:

By the way, I've been going with NFS because it's what the OP seems to want to do. CIFS behaves much more differently.
OP had a problem with cifs and has been a sport playing along with the nfs troubleshooting because it was suggested that that would be useful. I don't understand how, but then there's a lot that goes over my head.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

OP had a problem with cifs and has been a sport playing along with the nfs troubleshooting because it was suggested that that would be useful. I don't understand how, but then there's a lot that goes over my head.

I'm sure if they want to go back to trying CIFS, we'll all be happy to help out.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't mind offering a hand with either of them.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Friends. I am barely more computer literate than a worm. I want to install a pi-hole for my home internet. What is the cheapest:most braindead way to make this happen?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Friends. I am barely more computer literate than a worm. I want to install a pi-hole for my home internet. What is the cheapest:most braindead way to make this happen?

Why do you want to do this?

I mean specifically run your own dns blocker on a raspberry pi. There are other services that don’t involve managing a dns server. Like adguard I think and nextdns.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Buy a used laptop on eBay or craigslist with an Ethernet port for $25. See thread title

Install pi-hole there

If you buy a used T series Thinkpad I (or whoever) could probably sell you a hard drive with pi-hole preinstalled and then you just plug the hard drive in after removing two screws

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I run pihole as a linux container on proxmox, it works great.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, installing pi-hole isn't too hard to install if you're not very computer literate, just follow a guide. Fine tuning it and maintaining it is another thing.
Even as a self confessed tinkerer, it can be a total pita when something stops working at the wrong time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You should absolutely just use nextdns. I touch computers for work, at home I just want poo poo to work. Pi hole is only cheaper if you don't value your time.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Thanks, gang. Yeah, I'm really only interested in it for limiting the ads I load in, only knew of the pihole stuff as an option. If nextdns is better, I'll give it a go.

v: nah, I don't mind being helped by any means. All good!

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Not to dissuade you from grabbing a single-board computer and tinkering! It’s just that there’s a lot of hype for using a raspberry pi as an ideal solution to problems it’s not very well-suited for.

Like they’re fine for a bunch of home server stuff if you want to really work on it, but an old laptop or whatever x86 thing is cheap is perfect for that. Raspberry pis are really great as a very specific solution to a specific problem, usually involving the gpio somehow.

Aggressive Nap
Jun 9, 2023
I've been using a Raspberry Pi Model 4 4GB for a couple years now as my home router. Although I admit it probably was more because I like to tinker with stuff more than if it was a good tool for the job. I followed this guide to begin with https://www.technicallywizardry.com/raspberry-pi-network-monitor/ and also use the scripts on that page to get some traffic metrics that I like to watch for some reason. It runs my router, collects all those traffic metrics, and I have an adguard home server running on it.

I also admit I have some weird issue where my network cuts out pretty often and I'm not entirely sure why. But I wrote a script to detect that and auto reconnect. In that sense it's more reliable than any store bought router I've used in the past, all of those had issues that required me to manually power them off and on.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aggressive Nap posted:

I've been using a Raspberry Pi Model 4 4GB for a couple years now as my home router. Although I admit it probably was more because I like to tinker with stuff more than if it was a good tool for the job. I followed this guide to begin with https://www.technicallywizardry.com/raspberry-pi-network-monitor/ and also use the scripts on that page to get some traffic metrics that I like to watch for some reason. It runs my router, collects all those traffic metrics, and I have an adguard home server running on it.

I also admit I have some weird issue where my network cuts out pretty often and I'm not entirely sure why. But I wrote a script to detect that and auto reconnect. In that sense it's more reliable than any store bought router I've used in the past, all of those had issues that required me to manually power them off and on.

That’s very cool but it’s not like you needed the pi’s unique features to make any of it work. If you have a desktop and you didn’t mind just leaving it on, you could make a vm on there your router as well.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Aggressive Nap posted:

Sometimes it could be a hardware issue. If you check dmesg, it might tell you if there are hardware problems. I dunno if Pi4 devices have the kind of undervolt issues common with previous generations but if you frequently get undervolt warnings then you can either try:
  • getting a nicer power supply
  • setting the power governor to powersave or performance so that the power draw is consistent.
  • maybe other solutions.

Also, despite addressing the above, I am also seeing a lot of ethernet cutout on my pi400. I haven't tried to diagnose it yet. Maybe I should look into it.

Aggressive Nap
Jun 9, 2023

tuyop posted:

That’s very cool but it’s not like you needed the pi’s unique features to make any of it work. If you have a desktop and you didn’t mind just leaving it on, you could make a vm on there your router as well.

I agree, the only thing I'd offer is that Pi is smaller which is nice.

sb hermit posted:

Sometimes it could be a hardware issue. If you check dmesg, it might tell you if there are hardware problems. I dunno if Pi4 devices have the kind of undervolt issues common with previous generations but if you frequently get undervolt warnings then you can either try:

Thanks for that, next time it happens I'll check the logs. In my case, generally I can ifdown/ifup to fix it. Then once a month or so that isn't enough and I have to reboot. Since I have a script to do those things for me as needed, I haven't been pushed to find any root cause yet.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tuyop posted:

Yeah but running a desktop instead of a Pi for the previous 4 years would have cost them at least an extra hundred bucks in electricity, and probably several hundred

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks to the people mentioning NextDNS, giving that a spin now and it's very capable

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Inept posted:

Yeah but running a desktop instead of a Pi for the previous 4 years would have cost them at least an extra hundred bucks in electricity, and probably several hundred

I thought I was the only person in the world who cared about energy use!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If a pi router that you have to poke with scripts once a week and reboot once a month is more reliable than any real router you've had, you've bought some really poo poo routers. I reboot mine every 3-6 months, and more often because I'm updating the firmware than it has a problem.

(BTW if anyone has an Asus router and wants to do a PiHole, you can run Diversion directly on your router if you move to the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. This will take more learning and effort than the 1-2-3 PiHole setup, but since Pis are still hard to get I thought I'd mention it.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I mean the desktop is just an example of how you could achieve the goal with a wide range of technology, you probably shouldn’t leave some kind of gaming computer drawing hundreds of watts on 24/7.

However, an old laptop running Debian, an NAS of some kind, or an old NUC could all do this with similar power usage to a pi4 but with more reliability and likely less cost.

Aggressive Nap
Jun 9, 2023

Klyith posted:

If a pi router that you have to poke with scripts once a week and reboot once a month is more reliable than any real router you've had, you've bought some really poo poo routers.

Yup.

Oddly enough my rare issue that causes me to reboot the pi happened just this morning. I don't have any kernel errors about undervolts or anything power related. What seems to be happening in my case is I stop getting DHCP responses from my ISP? or my modem is loving something up?

code:
 piroute dhclient[401639]: DHCPDISCOVER on wan to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
 piroute dhclient[401639]: No DHCPOFFERS received.
 piroute dhclient[401639]: No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
This makes me wonder if my problem has always been with either my modem or ISP suddenly deciding to suck and not with the pi or all my old routers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not getting an offer is 100% the fault of your dhcp server. In theory the switch could be at fault too but if all you're using is dumb switches you can disregard that possibility.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Microcenter had a whole display of 4gb 4b's and a full shelf of RPI400s today, they said they got a whole box instead of the 5 a month they've been getting since the pandemic. This is in atlanta, but I'd expect to see them around other places too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inept posted:

A modern-ish (post 2014?) desktop is going to idle under 50w, probably closer to 25 or 30w. It's still going to cost you $30-50/year to run the desktop though, yeah. I raspberry pi probably consumes $2-10/year in electricity depending on where you live