Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dropping in here to mention that there's an Advance Wars By Web thread that seems to serve as a series megathread and also is not listed here. With the recent-ish release of the remakes of 1 & 2 on Switch, people may be looking for a place to discuss the most advanced wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Alright we should be up to date now.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

There's been enough chatter in different threads I read that I decided to make a thread focused on gaming with your children. Come on down, and we'll see how quickly it derails.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031577

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010
could anyone possible point me in the direction of a neverwinter nights thread? not the mmo, but the uhh "Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition." not sure if its just my own misunderstanding, but steam reviews talk about "servers" for what I thought was a single player game. would be cool to check it out with others if it is in fact multiplayer. thanks!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Ashurbanipal posted:

could anyone possible point me in the direction of a neverwinter nights thread? not the mmo, but the uhh "Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition." not sure if its just my own misunderstanding, but steam reviews talk about "servers" for what I thought was a single player game. would be cool to check it out with others if it is in fact multiplayer. thanks!

This poster is about to discover some good poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ashurbanipal posted:

I'm a previous longtime Neverwinter Nights veteran, and one of the core features of the original game (and the Enhanced Edition by proxy) is multiplayer. It was originally meant to be more a thing you did with a couple friends ala a tabletop game, but various patches and plugins have greatly expanded the scope of it, so people can and do operate what amount to miniature MMOs (generally called "persistent worlds") on the platform. Most of the servers back in its heyday had some combination of a general roleplaying focus and PVE elements, although there was also a fairly popular PoE-like server called Paths of Ascension, an occasionally popular PVP deathmatch server, and, of course, ERP-focused hangouts. I can't speak to the modern landscape, and it's probably an increasingly small and insular band of people still playing it, but they're there if you want to take a gander. Most of them will require downloading additional content - there's several massive community-created additions that add in whole slews of new content, as well as server-specific stuff - but I think most of that is automated via the client these days.

Of course, if you just wanna gently caress around with friends on custom campaigns, you can do that, too; hosting servers should be fairly trivial with modern internet speeds and the stability of the EE.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ashurbanipal posted:

The people over at the Infinity engine games thread will know everything about it (even though it's not using that engine).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ashurbanipal posted:

NWN can be played entirely offline, but it has a really awesome multiplayer that lets players host their own servers with player created content. It's one of the coolest multiplayer RPGs that still has a big following and playerbase many years later. I wish NWN2 took off in the same way, that RPG is still good, but NWN is far more accessible and supported.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
NWN is very much alive and kicking, amazingly. The Enhanced Edition was released in 2018, has a working in-game server browser (the original Gamespy service shut down in the late 2000s), and has some pretty excellent graphics/remaster patches and features (here's a gallery which shows off a bit of the graphics work we did for our server, if you're interested: https://www.alfanwn1.org/gallery/)

Oh and not to mention, it's still actively getting feature patches lol. The latest is .35 which is in beta at the moment.

The online community is thriving in a way it hasn't since about 2005; the big servers have 100-200 players on each night and many smaller servers have decent populations. It is quite crazy to see.

Ashurbanipal posted:

I've been meaning to create a NWN thread for a while and this may have kick-started me into doing so.
In the mean-time, your question is answered pretty comprehensively in this New Player FAQ in the /r/nwn sub (start at answer #5, 'The campaign is super boring! What's all the fuss about this game for?' and read on from there): https://www.reddit.com/r/neverwinternights/comments/tmof98/neverwinter_nights_1_enhanced_edition_new_player/

Vermain posted:

I can't speak to the modern landscape, and it's probably an increasingly small and insular band of people still playing it, but they're there if you want to take a gander. Most of them will require downloading additional content - there's several massive community-created additions that add in whole slews of new content, as well as server-specific stuff - but I think most of that is automated via the client these days.
Just to note, NWSync is a feature of EE which automatically downloads all custom content from servers - basically every server uses it nowadays. A hell of a lot better than the old school manual hak downloading days.
And the community is doing well right now. New PWs seem to be launched every couple of months. I think it's because there is still nothing else that allows players to do what NWN does.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 10, 2023

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010
really appreciate all the info all! def gonna check this game out; i've been itching for something "nostalgic" along these lines forever. maybe opened up a bigger can of worms than I was expecting, but very glad to be able to delve headfirst into it lmao

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

El Grillo posted:

NWN is very much alive and kicking, amazingly. The Enhanced Edition was released in 2018, has a working in-game server browser (the original Gamespy service shut down in the late 2000s), and has some pretty excellent graphics/remaster patches and features (here's a gallery which shows off a bit of the graphics work we did for our server, if you're interested: https://www.alfanwn1.org/gallery/)

Oh man I think I had rolled a character in this server in 2003, I'm fuckin old

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Nice. It blew my mind in 2020 during lockdown when I was super bored and idly decided to check out the old website... only to find there were live NWN1 servers again and a super active NWN community. Would never have predicted that when I was playing back in like 2005.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Back when NWN was still “new”, there was a dope looking Arda/Middle-Earth server that I wanted to play on SOOO badly… but I didn’t have the Hordes of the Underdark expansion, which was required. My box of NWN came with the game and the first expansion, and an empty disc holder for you to put HotU when it came out. That loving empty space tormented me for years.

I never did buy HotU, probably because my undiagnosed 13-year old ADHD brain forgot about it eventually

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Haha, I think that server's still around, in a resurrected form: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1638330903

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vermain posted:

I'm a previous longtime Neverwinter Nights veteran, and one of the core features of the original game (and the Enhanced Edition by proxy) is multiplayer. It was originally meant to be more a thing you did with a couple friends ala a tabletop game, but various patches and plugins have greatly expanded the scope of it, so people can and do operate what amount to miniature MMOs (generally called "persistent worlds") on the platform. Most of the servers back in its heyday had some combination of a general roleplaying focus and PVE elements, although there was also a fairly popular PoE-like server called Paths of Ascension, an occasionally popular PVP deathmatch server, and, of course, ERP-focused hangouts. I can't speak to the modern landscape, and it's probably an increasingly small and insular band of people still playing it, but they're there if you want to take a gander. Most of them will require downloading additional content - there's several massive community-created additions that add in whole slews of new content, as well as server-specific stuff - but I think most of that is automated via the client these days.

Of course, if you just wanna gently caress around with friends on custom campaigns, you can do that, too; hosting servers should be fairly trivial with modern internet speeds and the stability of the EE.

Oh man I used to love NWN. Maybe I should pick up the EE and get back into it

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

christmas boots posted:

I’ve been puttering around on the Arelith server, and my impulses got the better of me when I tried to lockpick a door and the trap killed me.

I was resurrected in a jail cell, and immediately interrogated by some other players, including the local sheriff. I had to come up with a reason why my level two newcomer character was picking a locked door inside a church-type lodgings.

Uhhhhh Woops lol. Now I owe 20k gold within a month. Probably not going back inside that city again 😬

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^that is classic NWN. Love it.
Arelith has cool stuff and it's great to see the numbers of players they get. To me it felt a bit too much like an MMO but to be fair I've always played on smaller servers so probably just used to them. I like the individual DM attention you can get on smaller servers.

christmas boots posted:

Do it! It's pretty cool to see the thing still alive.

If you do though, and you care at all about visuals, then make sure you get the HD pack: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/hakpak/original-hakpak/beamdogs-hd-art-pack-community-fixes
There are some other really nice graphics improvements listed here too: https://www.reddit.com/r/neverwinternights/comments/tmof98/neverwinter_nights_1_enhanced_edition_new_player/

...and finally, if anyone feels like it and is into RP worlds with challenging static content.. come check out our world! https://www.alfanwn1.org/gallery/ :D

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If you find controller discussion interesting (or boring), you may be pleased I've made a thread for gamepad chat alone. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032643

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pokemon Infinite Fusion thread. I encourage you not to read it but to play the game before it gets hit with a C&D.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032781

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Is there a dedicated retro/boomer shooter thread? Should there be one?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

It's over in Retro Games:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm just going to go on record and say, without irony or sarcasm or anything that this might be my favourite thread on the forums. I mean, I have an appreciation for FPS games new and old, so that helps, but it's just routinely.... I don't know... great? It's great. The Kins is a great OP, the OP (the post) is incredibly informative, and we're all a bunch of goons who love to virtually shoot things. It's great stuff. I think it's the longest running thread that I've been subscribed to, and I hope it never dies, unlike mecha-hitler.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm just going to go on record and say, without irony or sarcasm or anything that this might be my favourite thread on the forums. I mean, I have an appreciation for FPS games new and old, so that helps, but it's just routinely.... I don't know... great? It's great. The Kins is a great OP, the OP (the post) is incredibly informative, and we're all a bunch of goons who love to virtually shoot things. It's great stuff. I think it's the longest running thread that I've been subscribed to, and I hope it never dies, unlike mecha-hitler.

It helped me get into og Doom for the first time and I will always be grateful to it for that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So there is a new Star Trek game out that is actually really great, especially if you are a trekkie with a particular fondness for the TNG/DS9/VOY glory days. Come check out the thread and say hi: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023195

Thank you!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's a drat good thread. :hai:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The classic rpg thread is similarly chill and filled with excessively well informed fans

The roguelike thread used to veer into some pretty interesting game design talk that spanned all types of genres (because everything is a roguelike you see), though there's less of that these days (amusingly I think partially because so many of the thoughts that were expressed in those conversations are now literally the face of indie gaming on steam and elsewhere), but it's still a great resource if you like metaprogression rogue* of any stripe, there are likewise excessively knowledgeable wizards there as well

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

victrix posted:

The classic rpg thread is similarly chill and filled with excessively well informed fans

The roguelike thread used to veer into some pretty interesting game design talk that spanned all types of genres (because everything is a roguelike you see), though there's less of that these days (amusingly I think partially because so many of the thoughts that were expressed in those conversations are now literally the face of indie gaming on steam and elsewhere), but it's still a great resource if you like metaprogression rogue* of any stripe, there are likewise excessively knowledgeable wizards there as well

I’m on mobile and can’t search well - anybody feel generous enough to enable my lazy rear end and post links to these threads?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

I’m on mobile and can’t search well - anybody feel generous enough to enable my lazy rear end and post links to these threads?

Two choices stand before you. Both are good threads. Dare you...click?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

I accept your challenge, my good bitch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

I accept your challenge, my good bitch.

Please don't call me that

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there a classic mod thread? I'm specifically looking for a way to fancy up a playstation classic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there a classic mod thread? I'm specifically looking for a way to fancy up a playstation classic.

The title of this thread mentions only the SNES classic but all 'classic' consoles are discussed. Your question wouldn't seem out of place, but there may be a better thread for it. If so, the goons in that thread would know.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Do we have a thread for Pico-8 games? Are posters for the topic hanging out in some thread I'll never accidently click on?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

The title of this thread mentions only the SNES classic but all 'classic' consoles are discussed. Your question wouldn't seem out of place, but there may be a better thread for it. If so, the goons in that thread would know.

Thank you!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

death cob for cutie posted:

Do we have a thread for Pico-8 games? Are posters for the topic hanging out in some thread I'll never accidently click on?

i know there have been threads about pico-8 and some of the other lexaloffe games (like voxatron). i don't know about active threads though

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I made a thread for Exoprimal.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034576

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

death cob for cutie posted:

Delayed response but I did make a Pico-8 thread ages back here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979572

It's not seen any activity in a long while but feel free to revive it!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Summer Gift Train thread is up. :3:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035367

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
There's now a thread for Bombe, which people in the Puzzle Games Megathread were enjoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I made a thread for Cassette Beasts. Please post your favorite combos.