Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Star Citizen: Less play session time mean less bug that can accour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Huge streamer Lirik is running around laughing at how bad it is

https://twitch.tv/lirik

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpineyMiniatureGorillaAliens-N_NKhga0b6-f0LK1

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 23, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

Username/post synergy through the roof

I try.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/starcitizen: Latency tests for various actions

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

1 hr 38 min posted:

That's how long you have to wait for your Carrack after a 30k right now.

Yes, I have other ships to fly.
No, telling people to solely use smaller ships is not a solution.
No, this is not even remotely how we should be playing for the long, foreseeable future.

If people are salvaging their own ships just to get into salvaging gameplay or to make easy money, you need to offer more interesting and generally more available salvaging gameplay elsewhere.

It's not fun posted:

It's not just the respawn timers.

It's waiting to get to the train. It's waiting on the train. It's waiting to get to somewhere I can buy armor. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy weapons and ammo. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy personal utility items. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy medical items. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy sustenance items. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy clothes. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy ship and vehicle weapons. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy ship and vehicle components. It's waiting to get somewhere I can rent a ship or vehicle. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy a ship or vehicle. It's waiting to get to the cargo deck. It's waiting to get to somewhere I can summon my ship or vehicle. It's waiting to get to the hangar. It's waiting to get out of the hangar. It's waiting to fly to the garage to load my vehicle. It's waiting in quantum because the place I'm at doesn't let me do some, most, or any of the previous things. It's waiting to refuel. It's waiting to repair. It's waiting to rearm. It's waiting to get to somewhere I can log out. And it's waiting to do it all over again when there's a game-breaking bug, crash, 30k, pirate attack, or griefer.

I understand that there are some things that are gonna be a timesink. But not everything has to be. Why do I even have to go to a shop that's in the same system at all? I have a MobiGlass. Why isn't there a MobiShop app that lets me order from any shop in the same system (or at least planetary neighborhood)?

Waiting isn't fun. And after 11 years, I'm getting tired of waiting for someone at CIG to understand that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What’s a 30k in this context?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They are so close to understanding that this game is Boring. But even 11 years of not enjoying the game has not made him admit it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

What’s a 30k in this context?

The generic error one gets on disconnect

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Junk posted:

i would actually play a game that was a piss-take on glitchy games but all the jank is done on purpose in the form of puzzles to solve

Goat simulator?

E: ah didn't realize I responded to a post from like a hundred pages back

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Look at these FUDsters who don’t get what SC is about. Boy are they going to look stupid when SC in its final perfect form is released.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

That's good value

:hmmyes:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BattleMaster posted:

it's not a scam because why would someone who is already rich want even more money? that has never happened in this world, ever, people always stop seeking money when they have just enough to live a comfortable life

I’ve seen people using this argument for years but I’ve never seen any actual evidence that Crobbets was actually still rich. They just assume he was. Like no one in history has made a pile of money and then blown it all living an extravagant lifestyle.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

bird with big dick posted:

I’ve seen people using this argument for years but I’ve never seen any actual evidence that Crobbets was actually still rich. They just assume he was. Like no one in history has made a pile of money and then blown it all living an extravagant lifestyle.

Croberts died in a yacht accident years ago and they've been doing a Weekend at Bernie's ever since to keep the cash flowing.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Yeah, wasn't he running a used car dealership in New Mexico or something?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Yeah unless you are John Carmack I don’t think being the developer of some quite popular pc games in the 90s is the path to being a billionaire or anything. I’m sure he did fine but nothing he couldn’t have blown quite easily.

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 31, 2023

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I will admit Croberts is a genius con man if the endgame all along was to just string people along for decades until AI was advanced enough that they could just pay $10 million to have StarGPT rebuild everything from scratch. Imagine the tears and the hugging, handshaking, and backslapping at the release party ~10 years from now and the long emotional speeches about how "they said it couldn't be done!"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Amarcarts posted:

I will admit Croberts is a genius con man if the endgame all along was to just string people along for decades until AI was advanced enough that they could just pay $10 million to have StarGPT rebuild everything from scratch. Imagine the tears and the hugging, handshaking, and backslapping at the release party ~10 years from now and the long emotional speeches about how "they said it couldn't be done!"

The ultimate long con

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

Procedurally Generated Procedurally Generated Content

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I asked one of the AI's on how to improve Star Citizen, and it just said rename it Star Fartizen. So yeah looks like the technologies getting close.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

dr_rat posted:

I asked one of the AI's on how to improve Star Citizen, and it just said rename it Star Fartizen. So yeah looks like the technologies getting close.

Fart Shitizen
Shart Peepeezen
Star Griftizen

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The funny thing about this is in an early interview with Sandi on Sunny's Diner she mentions Chris being broke af and couchsurfing before the turbogrift kicked in and how she was telling him he needed to get a job or something. Don't have a timestamp and I'm not gonna listen to this garbage to find one

https://www.stitcher.com/show/sunnys-diner/episode/sunnys-diner-episode-3k13-sandi-gardiner-32990808

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

why is the game so broken but people defend it more than there own family posted:

its amazing the responses over this one little comment but some people still feel the need to be vicious from the get go, its baffling what can set some people off

quote:

Because despite being broken, it actually gives me the same joy that got me into gaming in the first place. No other games do. All of the games that I loved were destroyed by greed and incompetence, and there hasn't been anything to replace them until I got into Star Citizen.

I won't defend the bugs and the issues, but the project as a whole is something special. It may just be my last hope for what was once my favorite hobby.

quote:

Star Citizen is difficult to get into solo. It's a social game at its core, which is very rare in the modern landscape. If you try to play it as a single player experience and solely do basic missions and gameplay loops, I would agree with you. However, the social aspect of Star Citizen is something that no other modern game has to offer.

quote:

It's understandable that everyone is on edge due to the current state of the industry, but I've watched CIG survive much darker times than 3.18 and still not take the money and run or sell out to a publisher. There's always a chance of anything happening (and I always considered this when I backed for a crowdfunded project), but I'll bet on them before I bet on any other studio at this point.

quote:

any games have similar players when the game is considered early access, beta, alpha or so on. That they think any and all issues present in the game are fine because it is in early access, and anyone complaining about those issues are this that and the third. I noticed this the most when Halo Infinite multiplayer released early. Everyone assumed it was a beta. With the extreme desync, lack of content and other bugs, there were those few players who fought and argued as if their life depended on it that the game was a beta and it will be updated when the full game releases. Long story short, when the game did fully release, nothing was added, updated or changed about the MP.

But I think the majority of players who defend the game (me included) simply see lots of potential with the project or already have lots of fun with the project in its current state. I think a big part of it all is that we are basically watching the game grow like our own children, the opportunity to witness its every step toward being the best game it can be, its kind of like we helped build it.

But on both sides there are always going to be "extremes", just like everything else in the world.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it's a social game at its core, and these are the people you have to socialize with

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Yeah unless you are John Carmack I don’t think being the developer of some quite popular pc games in the 90s is the path to being a billionaire or anything. I’m sure he did fine but nothing he couldn’t have blown quite easily.

Lord British is rich if not billionaire rich.

For a technicality, the oculus rift founder was a dev on the popular 90's RPG series Neophyte when he was in highschool.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
didn't lord british have a kickstarter where you could buy a vial of his blood

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

it's a social game at its core, and these are the people you have to socialize with

Reminder to please record and report discriminatory comments on global chat posted:

Had to deal with comments like "all africans are inbred" as well as "all whites are inbred" and things like that for well over an hour and no one really seemed to care ended up logging off

quote:

Trying to be a SJW on a video game I see.

quote:

How about stop getting offended at every little thing that is easily hidden with F12?

Seriously people, quit being so soft. It's so easy to ignore.

I don't get it

quote:

Ya'll just yell out random, obvious SJW statements to get internet points from the reddit hive mind. "Racism Bad" no poo poo but go touch some grass and realize there will always be people wanting to troll and press "F12".

quote:

TBH i wont report anyone without having more context. If i saw someone writing this without any context i could simply ignore it, it was just a stupid statement. You don't want to know how many times the people spam stuff like "hitler" and "nazi" as soon as they see my german user name on USA servers.

Is it a stupid thing to say racist stuff in global chat? - Yes
Would i use such phrases myself? - No
Should these guys be banned for writing stupid stuff? - No, they are just acting childish.. stop being a Karen.

If someone would directly address someone with these statements to really offend/hurt that person it might be a different thing, because its more like attacking someone. But there is a small but significant difference between real racism/fascism and simply acting like a fool.

And even in a more severe case its never a good idea to exclude specific groups of people even if they are the "bad" ones in your oppinion. Excluding people will create real hate and real hate is way more dangerous than some douches writing/talking bullcrap.

I really appreciate the concept of "Freedom of Speech" but to really support it you have to accept that everyone should be allowed to speak up with his oppinion even if its absolute bs in your oppinion. In the end thats what makes our society so diverse and interesting.

TLDR - There is no black or white, blindly reporting people wont solve the problem.

quote:

I worry that reporting comments delays the game by wasting CIG staff time.

Every no-no word uttered is another 5 minutes someone's not working on the game.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Star Citizen is difficult to get into solo. It's a social game at its core, which is very rare in the modern landscape. If you try to play it as a single player experience and solely do basic missions and gameplay loops, I would agree with you. However, the social aspect of Star Citizen is something that no other modern game has to offer.

lmfao how out of touch do you have to be to think social games are very rare "in the modern landscape".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if backers would like Dwarf Fortress? It's kinda everything they think SC is. A faithful expression of one man's two men's vision, supported by backers for 20 years and finished when it's finished. A unique gameplay experience you can't get anywhere else, which we know because multiple studios have tried to make "DF but not weird and incomprehensible". Buggy and none of your friends understand it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Foo Diddley posted:

didn't lord british have a kickstarter where you could buy a vial of his blood

it's not like you can get rich from actually working so

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if backers would like Dwarf Fortress? It's kinda everything they think SC is. A faithful expression of one man's two men's vision, supported by backers for 20 years and finished when it's finished. A unique gameplay experience you can't get anywhere else, which we know because multiple studios have tried to make "DF but not weird and incomprehensible". Buggy and none of your friends understand it.

But you can't pay $4000 for a minecart with LTI can you?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tunicate posted:

Lord British is rich if not billionaire rich.

For a technicality, the oculus rift founder was a dev on the popular 90's RPG series Neophyte when he was in highschool.

Lord British bought a ride on a Soyuz to the International Space Station with his Ultima money. I don't know how rich Chris Roberts got on Wing Commander but if you either put out a few megahits like id or a big stream of regular hits like Garriot did you could clearly have gotten rich on that era of gaming. I assume it was even easier than now because of lower development and marketing costs and smaller team sizes and less competition.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lord British built an actual insane mans castle too. Croberts can never be as cool.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Lord British bought a ride on a Soyuz to the International Space Station with his Ultima money.

And thanks to this he owned CR when he explained to him that you can't swim in space and how shooting projectiles pushes you in the other direction. Then Chris backpedaled and explained how they actually use magic lasers to do everything so there is no physics involved.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Biplane posted:

Lord British built an actual insane mans castle too. Croberts can never be as cool.

And an Elizabethan-era village down the hill from the castle, complete with scale model of the Globe Theater. I've been there. It's what I'd do with a billion dollars, too.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

Happy Pride Month! posted:

Happy pride month to all my fellow LGBTQ+ citizens! I want to say I am personally very thankful for how accepting this community is! ❤🏳‍ :rainbow:

quote:

I play a game to escape real life and real life issues.

Some things should not be added to a game.

quote:

In my country this topic is highly political. I don't see what this has to do with star citizen? Aren't there better forums for these kind of posts?

I mean be who you are, thats fine.. You only live once so do whatever makes you feel good but there is no need to shove it down the throat on everyone else...

quote:

Attempt number 3:

I like biological women.

Is this agitating?

Come on CIG, you know I need to leave a reply in such threads. Preserve some tradition :(

quote:

So I guess we are all ok with a straight pride months then as well?

quote:

Man, if this thread is any indicator, the mods better have all hands on deck next week when the "Show us Your Colors" celebration starts

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Just the most social community ever :allears:

Edit: just remember that being queer or just having a rainbow design is political but swastikas and iron crosses and poo poo are not to these people.

Star Citizens think Nazi iconography is totally fine, but a rainbow is not. Just holy lol

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

syntaxfunction posted:

Edit: just remember that being queer or just having a rainbow design is political but swastikas and iron crosses and poo poo are not to these people.

Star Citizens think Nazi iconography is totally fine, but a rainbow is not. Just holy lol

I knew there were Fourth Stimpire types in this thing, but I didn't know the rot went this deep. gently caress these people.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

olives black posted:

I knew there were Fourth Stimpire types in this thing, but I didn't know the rot went this deep. gently caress these people.

You mustn't have been paying attention in this thread it seems.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You mustn't have been paying attention in this thread it seems.

I guess not :shrug: I only have a page's worth of posts in here since 2019, so I've only been stopping in occasionally to lol

olives black fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

syntaxfunction posted: