Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There are two cutoff points in Ys 8, the end of chapter 2 which you are thrust into, and the middle of chapter 5. You might miss out on a few trophies, but nothing that gates the true ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've been playing Super Hydlide and hey this game is legit good. How come Adol never got a duck button?

Anyway here's the excellent jam that greets you every morning. I always sing along with it and imagine I'm there in Fairyland with my good friend Jim Hydlide

https://youtu.be/JmnJs-qYkIc

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

lets hang out posted:

I've been playing Super Hydlide and hey this game is legit good. How come Adol never got a duck button?

Anyway here's the excellent jam that greets you every morning. I always sing along with it and imagine I'm there in Fairyland with my good friend Jim Hydlide

https://youtu.be/JmnJs-qYkIc

Oh man, I got this with my sega genesis back in the 90s and spent an entire summer playing it. What a weird and cool game. I honestly wish I could play it again for the first time.

Kind of an amazing soundtrack for the time overall too. Totally vibe with it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

I havent played YIIK because I can't finish Earthbound

What ancient fae entity did you piss off to get your gaming curse?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

fridge corn posted:

Ys VIII continues to surpass all my expectations and be a very good video game. The absolute tonal whiplash of the extreme drama/silliness of the end of chapter 2 to the extreme horniness of the beginning of chapter 3 has sent me reeling god knows where lmao

imo the worst thing, plotwise, in Ys VIII is the Nameless Ripper, the serial killer. A pointless diversion, I guess made just to kill the captain in the most asinine manner. Imagine being stranded on a deserted island with a small band of people, your very lives on the line, and thinking "yeah this is a good time to do a murder, I definitely should do this." Going through that whole section was so tedious.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I liked Ys VIII but I would definitely cut a few hours off the beginning. The plot's great once it gets started but that takes way too long IMO.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you need a Skies of Arcadia fix? This game looks like it'll hit that mark a bit:

https://www.rpgfan.com/2023/05/30/sky-oceans-is-a-classic-style-jrpg/

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Morpheus posted:

imo the worst thing, plotwise, in Ys VIII is the Nameless Ripper, the serial killer. A pointless diversion, I guess made just to kill the captain in the most asinine manner. Imagine being stranded on a deserted island with a small band of people, your very lives on the line, and thinking "yeah this is a good time to do a murder, I definitely should do this." Going through that whole section was so tedious.

It's been a bit since I played Lacrimosa of Dana, but I remember being pretty happy for a chance to fight something human scale. Most of the big fights are against dinosaurs or other giant monsters, and I would have liked a few more encounters that felt like a rival fight.

Overall, lovely game, but I think it's a toss-up whether I prefer it or Origins. The tower was less fun to explore, but it had some absolutely fantastic bosses.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Locke posted:

I wouldn't say Crystal Project sucks per se, but this goes a long way to explain why it doesn't feel like it's very good when I'm playing it. It's just the most boring version of a FF Job System style game I've ever touched combined with the most desperate attempt to make a 3D platformer out of a RPG overland sprite. Knowing the dev made it that way intentionally because limiting player expression to prevent players from overcoming a challenge through adaptation in a game style that's usually about preparation and adaptation sure is... a choice.

for me its the best jrpg combat system out there so imo the dev made the right choices

yeah you dont get to make ridiculous job combos like you could in similar games but the tradeoff is that the game remains challenging and interesting all the way to the end. one post game boss in particular struck me as being perfectly balanced on a knifes edge between ridiculously hard and still being completely fair

babypolis fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 30, 2023

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

avoraciopoctules posted:

It's been a bit since I played Lacrimosa of Dana, but I remember being pretty happy for a chance to fight something human scale. Most of the big fights are against dinosaurs or other giant monsters, and I would have liked a few more encounters that felt like a rival fight.

Overall, lovely game, but I think it's a toss-up whether I prefer it or Origins. The tower was less fun to explore, but it had some absolutely fantastic bosses.

I thought the bosses in Oath were even better. More challenging, at least. Origin felt a bit too easy after completing Oath

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Junpei posted:

Do you need a Skies of Arcadia fix? This game looks like it'll hit that mark a bit:

https://www.rpgfan.com/2023/05/30/sky-oceans-is-a-classic-style-jrpg/

I've recently been deep on listening to it's soundtrack again, so yes.

Absolutely yes to everything I'm seeing here.

Always think its funny that the two best JRPGs on the GCN are doing the sky island thing. (I know Eternal Arcadia was a Dreamcast game, but it counts.)

We need more sky island things, honestly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

WaltherFeng posted:

I guess my follow up question is which one of these is least likely to screw you over if you are new?

3. The class and skill balance in 2 alone will probably screw over new players and 1 can be a rough game all around.

Rascyc posted:

3 probably has the least amount of gently caress you buddy encounters but maybe they adjusted encounter design in 1+2. I haven't been following the remake news closely.

The experience is mostly going to be the same. Some things have been slightly polished up and a few bugs are getting fixed, but nothing too game changing from the DS originals aside from backported QOL from the later 3DS games and the addition of Picnic and Basic (and the idiotic Picnic lock from Nexus appears to not making it in, thankfully.)

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Odd Wilson posted:

Always think its funny that the two best JRPGs on the GCN are doing the sky island thing. (I know Eternal Arcadia was a Dreamcast game, but it counts.)

Yeah, I do agree that Glitzville is pretty drat cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Etrian Odyssey 3 is pretty beginner friendly. Some classes are better than others but it's pretty hard to build a party that's completely hosed outside of Ninja and Wildling stepping on each other's toes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Also Farmer but you can take one look at the Farmer's skills (and, like, general concept) and realize that they're the joke class.

There are Optimal subclass combinations but for the most part you can bolster anything by combining stuff onto them. I had a Prince/Hoplite and Wilding/Monk as my only support on my first playthrough.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 30, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Odd Wilson posted:

I've recently been deep on listening to it's soundtrack again, so yes.

Absolutely yes to everything I'm seeing here.

There was a notable release recently that heavily features sky islands.

That's right I'm talking about Fuga 2.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Pungry posted:

Yeah, I do agree that Glitzville is pretty drat cool.

You got me there. I will revise my statement to best three JRPGs on the GCN. :hmmyes:

Electric Phantasm posted:

There was a notable release recently that heavily features sky islands.

That's right I'm talking about Fuga 2.

I did not know this. I've heard many things about Fuga 2, but this I did not know.

Fuga 2 now joins Troubleshooter on the list of "games to try when I'm not broke".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Both Fuga games are on PC Game Pass and you can usually find a discount voucher for signing up somewhere.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I wish Indivisible didn't suck because *man* those character designs deserve a better game.

Did any of the indie crossover characters they announced in the Kickstarter ever end up making it into the game?

Barudak posted:

There isnt a kazoo in the music for Xenoblade 3 and that now makes me sad.

They're vastly improved cause theres way less fiddlyness to them, its just they kept slipping in more and more and more mechanisms to progress character growth and from where I started to now feels like a lil comedy bit of "well actually there is one more thing".

This is how I felt playing Tales of Berseria and part of why I burnt out before finishing the game.

I got to a point where I was just like 'please, stop adding new mechanics, I beg you...'

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Is Chained Echoes any good?

I saw it come up on a GDQ run and it looked amazing, but I haven't heard much about it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ignore the plot and the crystal system and you're golden.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wasnt able to finish the end of disc 1 of ff8 yesterday cause my power went out but now that i'm done i'm like. i'm really confused why someone got so mad about the quistis bit. nothing bad happened because of what she chose to do, it was just giving her a short dungeon so you wouldn't have half of the party just sitting in a room for the big climax of the arc. they force you to steer her over to establish the change in party for that dungeon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vandar posted:

This is how I felt playing Tales of Berseria and part of why I burnt out before finishing the game.

I got to a point where I was just like 'please, stop adding new mechanics, I beg you...'
does berseria really have that many mechanics? the only thing i really remember them adding once you have a full party is mystic artes and those are just super moves in combat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Also Farmer but you can take one look at the Farmer's skills (and, like, general concept) and realize that they're the joke class.

There are Optimal subclass combinations but for the most part you can bolster anything by combining stuff onto them. I had a Prince/Hoplite and Wilding/Monk as my only support on my first playthrough.
honestly farmer is fine. i mean they kinda make the game harder in the early game but once they can start status effecting random encounters and you get their exp increase for the party passive they're not really dragging the party down.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's less that berseria has too many mechanics and more that it does kind of a weird job explaining its mechanics. combination of weirdly translated system text, weirdly handled tutorials and having weird systems baggage.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Is Chained Echoes any good?

I saw it come up on a GDQ run and it looked amazing, but I haven't heard much about it.
It's probably the best nostalgia indie jrpg we've got right now if you're into that. They just patched the crystal system quite a bit so it's not as annoying as it was on launch.

Can't imagine ignoring the story like the other poster said. It's not a fantastic story but it's certainly readable and enjoyable. It has plenty of stupid moments ofc

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 31, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At some point near the end the designer realised he had set way too many villains, so a good chunk of them get offed in a quick cutscene, despite their prominence beforehand.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm still blown away that your very first introduction to one of your permanent party members in that game is that party member acting like an even more psychotic parody of Argath from FFT 30 seconds after you meet him and it's not really treated as a big deal.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So I had a question about the FF7 and FF8 remasters. Do they have brand new translations, or are they the same as the originals?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Willo567 posted:

So I had a question about the FF7 and FF8 remasters. Do they have brand new translations, or are they the same as the originals?

FF7 at least had an editing pass, so no more "Off Course!" and "This guy are sick", but I don't think either of them got anything remotely close to a re-translation

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ace Transmuter posted:

FF7 at least had an editing pass, so no more "Off Course!" and "This guy are sick", but I don't think either of them got anything remotely close to a re-translation

The editing pass is the one from the original PC port in 1998 or w/e, fwiw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got like 20 hours into Xenoblade 3 and they are just now attempting to address the setting conceit that has been gnawing at me for the last 20 hours since the opening cutscene.

Kanos posted:

I'm still blown away that your very first introduction to one of your permanent party members in that game is that party member acting like an even more psychotic parody of Argath from FFT 30 seconds after you meet him and it's not really treated as a big deal.

Theres a couple moments, mostly him and one other character, where they go full "2edgy4fftactics" and its jarring as hell because both the game doesn't give it any weight and also it only happens with them. The rest od the games tone does not live there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

I got like 20 hours into Xenoblade 3 and they are just now attempting to address the setting conceit that has been gnawing at me for the last 20 hours since the opening cutscene.
thats one of the things i liked about xb3, it was willing to leave obvious questions unanswered until it actually comes up in the plot. like obviously characters wouldnt be asking about/talking about things they take for granted.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

That's another thing I need to catch up on.

Should I play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (or even 1) before I dive into 3?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Endorph posted:

honestly farmer is fine. i mean they kinda make the game harder in the early game but once they can start status effecting random encounters and you get their exp increase for the party passive they're not really dragging the party down.

Can verify.

Granted even with the most optimal subclass, they're not great in big fights. But that's what you have 4 other party members for.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Same question, except should I play Etrian Odyssey 3 before Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Ace Transmuter posted:

One other question - why is FF8 so hated besides people not liking Squall

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The system of equipping spells as armor and getting weaker for casting them feels bad even if it technically works fine.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

Well everyone seems to dislike him and he does get one of the better arcs in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

thats one of the things i liked about xb3, it was willing to leave obvious questions unanswered until it actually comes up in the plot. like obviously characters wouldnt be asking about/talking about things they take for granted.

Ive got to get farther since I went to bed when the game finally brought it up, but this this thing feels like it should be a fundamental core motivation and both hasn't come up yet nor had any seeming relevance in the sidequests or narrative. Now, granted, the sidequests don't seem to respect the story anyway so far so, whatever.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

That's another thing I need to catch up on.

Should I play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (or even 1) before I dive into 3?

For whatever its worth:

I liked 1 a lot, didnt like its DLC much
Did not like 2 a lot, liked its DLC minus the sidequest wall a lot