Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Chained Echoes rules because the moon is canonically a giant owl which destroys any airships that fly too high.

There are other reasons that it rules, but do you really need more than that?

Yes, but its helpful the other reasons it rules is its attitude towards encounter design and encounter pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SirSamVimes posted:

Chained Echoes rules because the moon is canonically a giant owl which destroys any airships that fly too high.

loving SOLD.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Finished the seventh palace in 5 Royal, and there's not much else to do except exercise in the gym. The rest of the game will be a straight dungeon-crawl since the visual novel part is exhausted.

Six years after the fact, but I can see how the closing hours was disappointing on release. The main villain gets chumped exactly like the four guys before him, the Light Yagami character drops off the face of the earth in a confusing manner, and the treatment of Ryuji is absolutely infuriating.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Morpheus posted:

imo the worst thing, plotwise, in Ys VIII is the Nameless Ripper, the serial killer. A pointless diversion, I guess made just to kill the captain in the most asinine manner. Imagine being stranded on a deserted island with a small band of people, your very lives on the line, and thinking "yeah this is a good time to do a murder, I definitely should do this." Going through that whole section was so tedious.

Idk I really dug how insanely silly the whole thing was and to cap it off he gets eaten by a dinosaur lmao. Just top tier wacko stuff

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

uh ngl but this loving sold me too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

uh ngl but this loving sold me too

Be advised, while its super cool, like all the coolest bits of Chained Echoes lore it has no bearing on the game and appears in dialog once.

Edit: Also, Game Pass people its been on there for ages. Where were yall? I think its on PS+++ now too, no excuses to not play the best JRPG of last year

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Uhh the best jrpg of last year was Xenoblade 3 buddy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

If I have to pick one JRPG with too many mechanics, crazy lore, and giant robots that came out last year Chained Echoes is my choice.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Octopath 2 came out in February, rendering every acclaimed game after it redundant.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just picked up Astlibra Revision and hooooooly poo poo I'm not sure how I slept on this game so long. It's a little janky, but in the best way. Feels like this super involved and evolved love letter to Ys 3 and I cannot get enough.

Meowywitch posted:

It was definitely the most JRPG for sure. I'm playing through the Future Redeemed stuff right now and I just can't help but think that really should have been the core game (but expanded to XBC3 lengths). Not that the main game was bad - it was stellar. But I personally wanted questions answered and the main game really didn't do much of that.

Also Stranger of Paradise came out last year and XBC3 doesn't have nearly as much Chaos so

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Answering questions is for cowards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only acceptable game video/podcast content over like 30 minutes in existence is that 8.5 hour video on why every Yu-Gi-Oh! card is banned

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the only acceptable game video/podcast content over like 30 minutes in existence is that 8.5 hour video on why every Yu-Gi-Oh! card is banned

We could put Masterpeace to 1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Unironically that video was both engaging and ended up being useful at work.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'll defend long podcasts

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Colonel posted:

absolutely love how riven's big hint to one of its major game-wide puzzles is a strange alien numbers system where every bit of information you need is supplied by... a kids toy that displays a number at the bottom that lines up with every "tick" one of the dangling figures in it drops by when you pull the lever

Makes sense. If aliens were exploring a small chunk of earth, the best way to learn our numbers would be to find one of those toys used to keep babies entertained, where pressing brightly-lit numbers has someone count upwards with each one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand it's a nice QOL feature, on the other hand it means you have no reason to change jobs, ever, and you will likely stick to the first ones you chose for the entire game.

Barudak posted:

This is the exact flaw with it, to me. I think if you could invest 1:1 in outside XP the XP you put into it, thus halving the total XP needed but never eliminating the need to use the class part of the way it'd have worked.

What a weird viewpoint. If you don't need to grind, you're more motivated to change jobs for every little thing, not the opposite!

If I had to grind for jobs in Octo2, I'd never really tried many of the jobs, especially not the optional magic jobs.

The abilities you unlock from your jobs are another incentive to constantly switch around, even if you do have favorites. Everyone of my characters ended with a ridiculous combo of abilities from 4 different jobs and a lot of bosses had some dumb poo poo going on that motivated me into wild experiments.

If the game instead had handled things differently, yeah then I probably would have only grinded 1-2 extra jobs and then forgot the others existed.

Mierenneuker posted:

Someone asked the same question in the Etrian megathread yesterday: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839494&pagenumber=116#post532160767

Don't expect an answer that everyone agrees on, although I think people might lean toward III. I personally just care about that third game because I have a 3DS with copies of Untold 1 and 2, which are remakes of the first two games instead of remasters of the DS games. Either way, the games don't have an overlapping story or recurring characters, you definitely don't have to start with the first one.

I'll probably get the remaster of I, since that's the only Etrian Odyssey game I never played. (I got the 2nd and 3rd ones as Canadian imports (the versions with art books), since for some reason the games were an absolute bitch to get here in Germany. IV+V+Nexus were available in local shops just fine, but II+III were always out (and the first game totally unknown).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Libluini posted:

I'll probably get the remaster of I, since that's the only Etrian Odyssey game I never played. (I got the 2nd and 3rd ones as Canadian imports (the versions with art books), since for some reason the games were an absolute bitch to get here in Germany. IV+V+Nexus were available in local shops just fine, but II+III were always out (and the first game totally unknown).

I DS was actually published by Nintendo in Europe! It didn't feature the attempt at an unique font the NA version had. II and III DS were not published over here at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Libluini posted:

The abilities you unlock from your jobs are another incentive to constantly switch around, even if you do have favorites. Everyone of my characters ended with a ridiculous combo of abilities from 4 different jobs and a lot of bosses had some dumb poo poo going on that motivated me into wild experiments.

You can get your ridiculous combo of abilities without ever changing classes, and since I never lost to a single boss fight I had no opportunity to switch things around to be more effective. Well, that's not quite true, I did spend quite a while trying to solo that one boss in the crypt underleveled.

Anyway, if the game is just "kill all random battles in one turn" and "run into a boss fight that possibly does something tricky but you pull through anyway because you're overleveled from killing all random battles in one turn" then you have no motivation to ever change what works.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

You can get your ridiculous combo of abilities without ever changing classes, and since I never lost to a single boss fight I had no opportunity to switch things around to be more effective. Well, that's not quite true, I did spend quite a while trying to solo that one boss in the crypt underleveled.

Anyway, if the game is just "kill all random battles in one turn" and "run into a boss fight that possibly does something tricky but you pull through anyway because you're overleveled from killing all random battles in one turn" then you have no motivation to ever change what works.

Honestly, for every boss where I came back seriously overlevelled, there was one that killed me multiple times. That solo boss I only managed because I gave Ochette alchemist as a second job, so she could better heal herself (also so I could constantly crack jokes about "Magical Girl Ochette")

I guess I approach games simply differently. At the final boss all my characters had weird job combinations I found out work great purely by experimenting. Hell, since you need two parties and I like my parties to be classic "Fighter/Healer/Support/Magic"-styles, I had to have some weird combos in there, since I only had one scholar and one cleric naturally. Agnea turned out to be a better scholar than Oswald, :lol:

Mierenneuker posted:

I DS was actually published by Nintendo in Europe! It didn't feature the attempt at an unique font the NA version had. II and III DS were not published over here at all.

Man, this explains so much! I was always wondering why the import versions were the only versions of II+III I could get. But I shouldn't complain, that's what I learned English for, after all. And I got some nice artbooks!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

How can you even play the game if every card is banned????

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

Also Stranger of Paradise came out last year and XBC3 doesn't have nearly as much Chaos so

Stranger of Paradise was a very good game but I'd put XBC3 above it overall.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

If you want a good RPG podcast you can just listen to this thread via a text to speech reader

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
microsoft sam voice: final fantasy boreteen

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

microsoft sam voice: final fantasy boreteen

Many are saying this.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
how's the Xenoblade 3 DLC these days? I haven't been back to that game since finishing it at launch

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Barudak posted:

Wondering what kind of cruelty a wizardry 4 from japan would contain

There actually is a Japanese remake of Wizardry IV, released as part of the New Age of Llylgamyn compilation for the PS1 and PC. It includes the original, which is mostly unchanged other than looking prettier and including an in-game automap, an arrange version that has mechanical changes that make it significantly easier (as well as various text changes, which is why it's only available in Japanese), and a Wizardry V remake.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Endorph posted:

a 40 episode podcast playing through ff8 made by two guys who sound like they dropped out of chapo college sounds like a vision of hell

I'm sure there are plenty of legit criticisms of the three podcasts I mentioned, but it really comes off like you are trying to pick a fight instead. Please, I'd appreciate it if you chilled a bit. I am making a good faith effort to share stuff I think other people might like.

RareAcumen posted:

It only happens with Final Fantasy is the funniest part. Nobody's trying to do Fallout 100% completion length podcasts like this with SMT or Persona or Dragon Quest or Drakengard or anything.

1. I see you are unfamiliar with the Ranged Touch podcast network. They have done a lot of stuff focused on other RPGs. First link is their fallout series, second link is a podcast that does a bunch of isometric WRPGs.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVcfOocLDkUzOd8yt3ADY83gvXePlxvi0
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mages-murderdads/id1387605972
https://rangedtouch.com/

(Main thing I listen to here is Game Studies Study Buddies, but I have put the WRPG podcasts on my list of nebulous stuff to check out in the future)

2. Additionally, you might want to check out Dia Lacina. I mostly am aware of them through podcasts and their writing for Paste/Waypoint, though their big Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls series are mostly Lets Play supplemented by a bunch of podcast stuff.

3. Some of the podcasts I mentioned have a bunch of Patreon content. Lots of audio lets play stuff for less well known games available through that path.

(Oh, and it's not an RPG podcast recommendation, but Visual Novel Book Club by Slowbeef and friends is very funny and insightful, probably worth throwing in if you are interested in the idea of audio lets play content.)

The Colonel posted:

absolutely love how riven's big hint to one of its major game-wide puzzles is a strange alien numbers system where every bit of information you need is supplied by... a kids toy that displays a number at the bottom that lines up with every "tick" one of the dangling figures in it drops by when you pull the lever

While I am talking about cool podcasts, I believe Watch Out For Fireballs had a pretty good ep that went in on Riven. They apply some of the same meticulousness they do in their Bonfireside Chat dedicated to Souls games and their worlds, and I remember the part about that particular chunk of the world did a very good job on selling how much of a jerk the antagonist was.
https://www.watchoutforfireballs.com/313

Abnormal Mapping did an episode on Riven last year, but I find them a bit more hit-and-miss overall.
https://www.abnormalmapping.com/the-abnormal-mapping-podcast/2022/8/28/abnormal-mapping-134-riven-the-sequel-to-myst
With that said, I really liked the recent AM on Chrono Cross, but you should go in prepared for major spoilers.
https://www.abnormalmapping.com/the-abnormal-mapping-podcast/2023/5/27/abnormal-mapping-145-chrono-cross

SirSamVimes posted:

If you do need more reasons, plz listen to the Axe of the Blood God ep where they get Austin Walker to guest and talk about how much they enjoyed the game.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/lets-talk-about-chained-echoes-w-austin-walker/id969659784?i=1000594748337

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

secretly best girl posted:

Honestly I kinda like this as a concept

But who the gently caress cares, I'm one of the people being directly called out right now

We've done seasons on Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga, and our next 4 in a row are indie games, Wizardry, and Breath of Fire. :(

I did not know what podcast was being referenced in this post until I used a forum search, so I am linking for anyone else who is curious.
https://www.lightningstrikesthrice.com/

Will definitely check it out, thanks! I don't think I've heard a Xenosaga or Shadow Hearts deep dive before, and I'm definitely interested in those future games.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having a real long podcast about a rpg sounds no different from like, the kind of book club podcasts that go over a few chapters each week in extensive detail.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

i dont really enjoy any ff's gameplay that much (like the top 3 gameplay-wise is ff14, ffx-2, and ff13-3 for me) but yeah even by those standards ff8 is pretty hosed. i can respect them for experimenting but it really didnt work on a number of levels.

the draw mechanic in particular just falls completely flat on its face and kinda drags the whole game down with it

NikkolasKing posted:

Also while the game is stupidly easy to break, I would never pretend I wasn't one of the summon spammers back in the day. So many of us at least in the English-speaking fandom didn't engage with Junctioning at all and just spammed GFs. Why did we do this when the game has several mandatory and thorough tutorials? I dunno. Maybe there's a good way and a bad way to do tutorials and FFVIII did them wrong somehow. I just know a lot of us ignored it to our cost.

I guess we could have all just been dumb kids, though. and it isn't the game's fault. "Spam Summon" was the GOAT strategy for FFs back then. Having trouble with Seymour on the mountain? Grind up all of your aeons' overdrives and drag them out one after another till victorious.

until you get to the fight where some dude has rinoa grafted on to him and GFs kill Rinoa before they kill him and you get stuck there forever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont know if it was the non-standard terminology but i still have no idea what the gently caress ff8 was trying to do gameplay-wise

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont know if it was the non-standard terminology but i still have no idea what the gently caress ff8 was trying to do gameplay-wise

I think the idea was that players would be faced with constant choices, choosing between killing a dangerous enemy quickly or trying to draw from it (thats probably why the level scaling is around as well), and then between using the magic or junctioning it for better stats. of course in practice none of this works and you either dont draw and cripple yourself or draw as much as you can and break the game over your knee.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I can also see the idea being that equipping magic is more 'memorable' since it has another use than just making a stat go up.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

drawing was for chumps refine conversion would get you the junction magic you needed way faster

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 31, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stranger of Paradise was a very good game but I'd put XBC3 above it overall.

Love both games a lot. They are both really incredible and fun RPGs for different reasons. I especially love XBC3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

1. I see you are unfamiliar with the Ranged Touch podcast network. They have done a lot of stuff focused on other RPGs. First link is their fallout series, second link is a podcast that does a bunch of isometric WRPGs.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVcfOocLDkUzOd8yt3ADY83gvXePlxvi0
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mages-murderdads/id1387605972
https://rangedtouch.com/

(Main thing I listen to here is Game Studies Study Buddies, but I have put the WRPG podcasts on my list of nebulous stuff to check out in the future)

Funnily enough I do know about them, but I just know about the 'What is and what was Homestuck at the time it was being made?' podcast, Game Studies Study Buddies, and the "Let's look at all of Stephen King's work chronologically' one I know they have something between a Let's Play and a stream of all the stuff on their youtube channel like Undertale, Disco Elysium and Fallout but I had no idea they had podcasts about them.

I was more just talking about in this thread that it's funny how needing to watch a podcast to decipher the confusing perplexing story of a game only mentions FF8 and no other game :v:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Funnily enough I do know about them, but I just know about the 'What is and what was Homestuck at the time it was being made?' podcast, Game Studies Study Buddies, and the "Let's look at all of Stephen King's work chronologically' one I know they have something between a Let's Play and a stream of all the stuff on their youtube channel like Undertale, Disco Elysium and Fallout but I had no idea they had podcasts about them.

I was more just talking about in this thread that it's funny how needing to watch a podcast to decipher the confusing perplexing story of a game only mentions FF8 and no other game :v:

Ahhh, gotcha. Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed. Yep, there's plenty of gloriously tangled RPG plots out there. I especially like when you get the classic Tales twist and the plot does a wild swerve into something thematically linked but way different than what they seemed to be setting up before.

https://withaterriblefate.com/ has written editorials and podcasts that have done a really remarkable job showing me subtext I probably would have missed otherwise... oooh, and it looks like they just did some stuff on Tales games and Xenoblade 3 recently! I was gonna link the stuff on Scarlet Nexus and KH2, but I think these new ones get a bit more focus in RPG Thread.

I should also probably plug https://critical-distance.com/, I get about half my fun videogame essays from their blogging roundups.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
i started Ys 8 last night and this game has it all: fluid movement, fast combat, and the dumbest names I’ve ever read in a game. What the gently caress is a “Kathew” lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Gato The Elder posted:

i started Ys 8 last night and this game has it all: fluid movement, fast combat, and the dumbest names I’ve ever read in a game. What the gently caress is a “Kathew” lmao

It's so good. I'm in chapter 3 and just got another party member with an even dumber name. This game is great