Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

sometime i take camera to kids rugby game but don’t take it out of bag because I am self conscious someone might think “oh this dude again”.

you sure they don’t think that anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:negative:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

going out and taking a bunch of pictures means way more to sort through

like back in the day i'd take the hasselblad out and shoot a roll of film and have 12 photos, then i'd havve maybe one good one, maybe none, and i could see them all in one sleeve, and then i would be ready.

now i would havve like 147 photos to click through and still have maybe one good one (usually not) so it's just way more time in processing

plus since I would use slide film, it would have the color and look i wanted with just a little work, versus having infinite adjustability

it's also just so much nicer to handle, and feels good. the groundglass is a hundred times better than the evf.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sounds like you should shoot film again

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did a shoot the other day and at one stage it was so cramped had to use a 50mm

drat that poo poo sucks. everything is so boring. I mean, yeah, operator error for sure, but I just could not feel good about it

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 28, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I appreciate these

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

thank you

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pirated lightroom classic: blinks/strobes and takes ages to do anything now because some os update? idk
darktable: what
rawtherapee: ???
captureone express free poors edition: comprehensible UI, but i hate it

i'm not paying a goddamn monthly fee to edit photos you jerks!!!

:rip: 2018 version of lightroom, you were good

have a picture

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ru tracker is a great place to get huge discounts on the latest software

imagine giving adobe money

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

echi i found one of your ... i guess cousins? last summer

i am clearing through an apparently year long backlog of "i suppose i thought this picture was worth sharing on instagram" photos. i don't for sure know why this one stuck out except that it was a pretty flower and it grew out of a neat stalk. i also am struck by how much i miss using my 20-40 zoom at the moment. i've been on a k-1 ii solely for about three weeks as i work on getting a working k-3 iii and while i absolutely adore the 31, 43, and 77 on full frame (as the designers intended), the versatility, color, detail, and bokeh from this zoom is just nice, and the moisture resistance is a nice touch.

i thought about buying one of the old smc-f 35-70 zooms when i got the k-1 in hand, as they're apparently Surprisingly Nice. i might still... they tend to run less than $50 and it'll be a hell of a lot smaller than anything else that does the job better.

also a fun side effect of shooting full 135 image size for the first time since 2006: i have had to relearn how my lenses frame poo poo on the larger format. my ancient 135, for example, i'm used to taking pictures of things at the size and distance of a 200... and when I try to get that close to them on full frame, i run into the minimum focus distance. i suppose that means an old 200/4 might work out well for me, but hey. limitations of the tools are forcing me to rethink how i approach using them, which feels good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
certainly is one of my cousins. i’m a peruviana

i’m out taking photos as we speak. I am not very good at taking photos of things rather than people. I am envious of those who can frame something rather ordinary and end up with a good photo. i will still share some later however because that’s what this thread is about

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

nice! i hope you get something that speaks to you.

unsolicited thoughts on how to take pictures of stuff instead of people: i find that i end up trying to take my pictures from a place of "this is a neat thing i am seeing, and i want to make sure other people know about this neat thing they should see too! knowing that i am working with a limited third dimension, what is the most important bit of this that I want to share?" and then "what additional context do I have the ability to share to show why this is neat?"

so like the cactus, the neat thing is the flower. but the flower was also growing on these relatively tall stalks... and so the best framing for that was going to be get the flower in crisp detail and then frame the photo with the stalks in the image for emphasis. that it fit nicely with the body of the plant was excellent, and the sign that identified it was, for once for me, a nice benefit for the purpose of this thread a year later.

im pretty sure this approach would result in the world's most stilted and lifeless portraiture were i to bring it to people, though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that does make a lot of sense.

and perhaps, we’ll my 135mm is incredible for portraiture, it’s just so flattering for portrait framed shots

but idk if it’s good for scenes. in fact i’d say it wasn’t, it takes nice photos of things but it’s hard to give them context

but .. I am not gonna change lenses. I trialled a 50mm during a shoot recent and it just reaffirmed my belief that I want to be a one trick pony

look forward to sharing my close ups of a leaf

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Here's a picture of hash browns I cooked

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have developed the first 4 Japan rolls

One of them is dog roll

7 more to go over the next days

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
colours wtf?????

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photodump apologies in advance

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Colour is on the 6 rolls of slide I shot in 35mm which will be going to a lab. I don't do E6 at home

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

I have developed the first 4 Japan rolls

One of them is dog roll

7 more to go over the next days

oh lol just realised the colour image is a photo of you developing bnw not actually a colour photo

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
those dogs are great

lots of good pics on this page from everyone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

i like this weird little tree guy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s a kauri which is a tree that’s endemic to nz so I thought it might be interesting to post seeing as most of y’all wouldn’t have seen one

the very biggest examples approach california redwoods in volume, but not height. these trees are cylindrical in shape not conical like a redwood.

almost all are gone cos when this place was first colonised they chew threw them cos there was so much timber in each. not particularly nice looking timber but it’s now quite valuable because you can’t get new stock

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

it’s a kauri which is a tree that’s endemic to nz so I thought it might be interesting to post seeing as most of y’all wouldn’t have seen one

the very biggest examples approach california redwoods in volume, but not height. these trees are cylindrical in shape not conical like a redwood.

almost all are gone cos when this place was first colonised they chew threw them cos there was so much timber in each. not particularly nice looking timber but it’s now quite valuable because you can’t get new stock

very cool, i have indeed not seen one. good job picking out a subject too, the top two knots look like eyes

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

echinopsis posted:

photodump apologies in advance

[snipping unreferenced photos to reduce length of quote]

since i was encouraging you: i think this is a pretty neat package of photos! we'll leave aside the thread's disagreement on processing and aspect ratio. the tree is awesome, and thank you for sharing its story with us (gently caress colonialism). i like your framing on the grass fronds and the rose, too... that's the kind of poo poo i always like looking at and including in my photosets, but rarely ever share on their own because i have convinced myself they're not usually interesting enough. also, if seek isn't lying to me, the rimu foliage is really cool and i'm looking forward to learning about that nz tree, too!

the only photo i would have framed differently is the mallard, bringing him up a bit in frame might have helped the balance a little bit, but it's a small consideration that i think i'd probably not even make if it weren't the lead image in the series. i guess photo streams are a little like albums in that way, the opening piece has to do a disproportionate amount of lift.

all of the dogs in this post were amazing, but these two crews, they look like a lot of fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nurrwick posted:

since i was encouraging you: i think this is a pretty neat package of photos! we'll leave aside the thread's disagreement on processing and aspect ratio. the tree is awesome, and thank you for sharing its story with us (gently caress colonialism). i like your framing on the grass fronds and the rose, too... that's the kind of poo poo i always like looking at and including in my photosets, but rarely ever share on their own because i have convinced myself they're not usually interesting enough. also, if seek isn't lying to me, the rimu foliage is really cool and i'm looking forward to learning about that nz tree, too!

the only photo i would have framed differently is the mallard, bringing him up a bit in frame might have helped the balance a little bit, but it's a small consideration that i think i'd probably not even make if it weren't the lead image in the series. i guess photo streams are a little like albums in that way, the opening piece has to do a disproportionate amount of lift.

thanks for the comments

there's a lot of room in photography for photos that serve different purposes, in my mind at least, the photo of the rimu foliage, there is no subject, it's a bit like a wallpaper image, it's more about the texture of the foliage rather than any one thing, so I appreciate that you appreciate it lol. there isn't quite as good of a story around rimu, the trees aren't so massive, and I think it's still possible to buy new rimu timber. it's a very nice looking timber, very red/brown. I like the look of the whole tree because it's foliage just hangs, and makes it look like the tree is dripping or something lol

and thanks for appreciating the rose photo, there were so few roses still out (it's just turned winter today), but that one came out nice I think

thanks again for the support

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

they have nice vibes and i like looking at them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s all that matters

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick it’s your best photo yet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i like this a lot. good juxtaposition of water and barrenness plus a reminder of man's influence

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ll show you man’s influence ;)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

sick it’s your best photo yet

I take offense!!

Beeftweeter posted:

i like this a lot. good juxtaposition of water and barrenness plus a reminder of man's influence

Thanks. I can't quite explain what it reminds me of or why but for me it's very nostalgic with a sense of loss.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

bobmarleysghost posted:

I take offense!!

Thanks. I can't quite explain what it reminds me of or why but for me it's very nostalgic with a sense of loss.

i'm a horrible nerd so it reminded me of this matte painting from the original star trek pilot lol

pretty sure that's just the framing and architecture though, just mirrored

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

yea i can see it. it looks fake, like a diorama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photodump