Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol apparently there's a .properties tld and java will helpfully look for your .properties file as a URL in some cases now

there's a few spring config files that are registered already as domains, and a few real fuckin' juicy ones I can think of that don't appear to be registered yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

You know, it kinda made sense to type in a dot-com tld but who the hell is going to go on the radio or a pa system or whatever with a dot properties URL?

quote:

And a big thanks to today's generous sponsor, betterly properties! Extract more wealth from potential tenants with their proprietary intelligence system. Get a free quote from b-e-t-t-e-r-l-y-dot-p-r-o-p-e-r-t-i-e-s slash monster dash trucks.

of course, someone will probably misspell properties or whatever but it doesn't matter because no one's typing that poo poo in anyway... they'll probably just google it and go to the first link which will be a phishing scam, placed on top thanks to unchecked malicious advertising

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

brb registering yosp.horse

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
theres one way to piss off everyone at once

keep all those dumb tlds but only make then work if you have a url with https://www.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

good luck everyone https://community.progress.com/s/article/MOVEit-Transfer-Critical-Vulnerability-31May2023

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Not that aiohttp is the most popular framework out there, but it certainly doesn't help when you're forced to use it on the same day that https://docs.aiohttp.org and https://aio-libs.org get domain squatted

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

lol apparently there's a .properties tld and java will helpfully look for your .properties file as a URL in some cases now

there's a few spring config files that are registered already as domains, and a few real fuckin' juicy ones I can think of that don't appear to be registered yet

is it Java or some third party library? I am interested

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boner Wad posted:

is it Java or some third party library? I am interested

not entirely sure. i know spring is involved, but it's second-hand from someone else who dealt with it at their work just recently (when it unexpectedly took down production lol) so idk

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

isn't that the sort of thing that was at the heart of the log4j fiasco? i.e. java brains thinking that it's cool and good to fetch some stuff from remote hosts and deserializing it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

4lokos basilisk posted:

isn't that the sort of thing that was at the heart of the log4j fiasco? i.e. java brains thinking that it's cool and good to fetch some stuff from remote hosts and deserializing it

Yep. Log4j wasn't a bug, it was working as designed (fetching and eval()ing code from a remote address). It was just a case of the design being utterly counterproductive for anyone who doesn't still live in the 90s.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it's a good thing no modern languages handle dependencies by letting you import from random git repos at compile time

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it's a good thing no modern languages handle dependencies by letting you import from random git repos at compile time

...are we talking about JS, or Python, or

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

compile? sorry I code close to the metal

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quackles posted:

...are we talking about JS, or Python, or

I think node.js is the most stereotypical implementation of "downloads 10 dozen libraries at compile time, most of which contain like two lines of code or are just a bunch of constants for hex color representations, and 3 of which get deleted and subsequently squatted upon by a malware author every year"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i was actually talking about go...

on the bright side, go does have decent dependency verification at this point, but from the start it was literally import from rando git repos

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
log4shell had multiple levels. the primary problem was that the lookups feature parsed the formatted log message, not the format string, so it would recognize metacharacters in any data embedded in the message. i don’t think that was by design, just incompetence, though maybe someone had a kickin’ rad metaprogramming justification for it. the secondary problem was that one of the things you could put in a lookup was an ldap resource, which could do a remote class file load. that part was by design

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
win11 has played much nicer with multiple audio devices than win10 did for me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

raminasi posted:

could this finally be the year of windows on the desktop

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Soricidus posted:

could this finally be the year of windows 11 on the desktop

fixed, and no.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

raminasi posted:

it still doesn't understand multiple webcams

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

nudgenudgetilt posted:

This post is making me stare at the wall like a Vietnam vet.

I am so very burnt out

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ZeusCannon posted:

I am so very burnt out

We had to burn the repo to save it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ZeusCannon posted:

I am so very burnt out

he kept this watchpoint in his .asp for five years

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

I am so very burnt out

if it makes you feel any better, treatment of animals is equally bad in other countries too

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

flakeloaf posted:

there's a way in devenv you can export your breakpoints pane to a XML file and get all sorts of fun facts like when you created it and how many times it's been hit
Year In Review when?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

applied for an apartment today

had me make an account with their system while i was there in the office and then were like "ok now just give me the password and i can pull it up and do it for you, it's faster cuz i know where everything is" cool ok whatever, it's a password manager generated one so i'll just change it later

"wow did you come up with that complicated password on the spot right now? how do you remember all that?! i've just used the same password for everything since i was a kid" cool thanks for sharing

"ok you just need to mail us high quality color scans of the front and back of your social security cards and we can get the process going" cool cool

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
congrats on your new apartment and multiple lines of credit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shame Boy posted:

"ok you just need to mail us high quality color scans of the front and back of your social security cards and we can get the process going" cool cool

what

i've lived in like 8 apartments and nobody ever asked for that, and i wouldn't have given it to them even if they did :confused:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

"wow did you come up with that complicated password on the spot right now? how do you remember all that?! i've just used the same password for everything since i was a kid" cool thanks for sharing

this situation is what 2fa is made for because average people really really really hate memorizing passwords

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

what

i've lived in like 8 apartments and nobody ever asked for that, and i wouldn't have given it to them even if they did :confused:

they wanted it in person when we were there but i didn't bring the actual cards because who the gently caress needs the actual cards and not just the numbers on them

apparently they did

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

they have a "compliance guy" they kept talking about on a first-name basis that does "know your customer" things and it really sounded like this was just some guy that set up some sort of back-alley background check operation cuz the information he required was weirdly specific and somewhat nonsensical like this, like he was cargo-culting what he thought a background check did

like for example they didn't ask for poo poo like the address i lived at before my current one, but DID require me to provide more parameters about my loving cat than any apartment i've ever applied to

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 6, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they’re trying to get you to show a picture of the cat and I respect that

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

Goddamnit

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

haveblue posted:

they’re trying to get you to show a picture of the cat and I respect that

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

they have a "compliance guy" they kept talking about on a first-name basis that does "know your customer" things and it really sounded like this was just some guy that set up some sort of back-alley background check operation cuz the information he required was weirdly specific and somewhat nonsensical like this, like he was cargo-culting what he thought a background check did

like for example they didn't ask for poo poo like the address i lived at before my current one, but DID require me to provide more parameters about my loving cat than any apartment i've ever applied to

yeah, maybe the compliance guy is related to whoever owns the building or whatever and has all these things to see if they can weed out "the bad ones" or whatever, although going against industry practice can be risky because there might be a test that excludes protected classes.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

either that or you're responding to one of those "airbnb listed as rental" scams

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pile Of Garbage posted:

either that or you're responding to one of those "airbnb listed as rental" scams

nah i was there in person, it's a proper complex with an office and stuff

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

nah i was there in person, it's a proper complex with an office and stuff

yeah that's how those scams work. the scammer rents the airbnb and then shows it off as if its their own.

but yeah im prolly reaching. sounds like they just have a very lovely system of doing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah that's how those scams work. the scammer rents the airbnb and then shows it off as if its their own.

but yeah im prolly reaching. sounds like they just have a very lovely system of doing things.
I think they mean that they went into the apartment's leasing office to fill out paperwork so it's unlikely that a scammer would be able to do that?