Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Rihito is a genetic freak with fingers that can rip peoples' flesh off and was also already at a Kengan level since the beginning of last series based on his pure physical abilities around the time where Koga was a completely average street punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

rihito is powerful and my friend

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Kengan's up and I can't loving believe it's loving worms from all the way back.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

New Kengan's up and I can't loving believe it's loving worms from all the way back.

So he was a worm, got uppity and wrecked for it, got PISSED over that apparently and went rogue? or possibly other worm bullshit

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Fellas, I've gotta say that I've stopped caring about the Worm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bring in The Shredder already!

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Another reason why Kuroki rules, no worm bullshit baggage with him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

So he was a worm, got uppity and wrecked for it, got PISSED over that apparently and went rogue? or possibly other worm bullshit

I think the two-headed worm bit makes me think there was one faction that split into two factions, and Gaoh's faction lost and everyone but him died?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The most recent chapter of Tenkaichi whether intentional or not really made me stop and laugh. The timing of two translated chapters in the same week talking about how two guys wronged by someone close to them assembled a team of youths they intended to be weapons against their enemies. Gave those kids numbers for names and tried to train them to use a specific technique which would make them superior to the mentor's foe. I'm not even saying one rips off the other and there's probably some historical precedent for this kind of scenario in japanese culture. But come on this is bonkers timing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The credits page even joked with that lol calling Jisai a Worm member

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Feel free to correct me, but it's based on the South Asian ritual of guu, which is where you leave a bunch of venomous creatures (spiders, snakes, etc.) in a jar with limited resources so they duke it out and the poison is extracted from the last one standing. The idea is that whatever you are developing will be the most potent in the winner which is developed through the brutal elimination process of the battle royale. Conducting it with insects and creatures is pretty inhumane, so masterminding it using human participants is considered typical psychopath bad guy stuff in a lot of Asian media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu_(poison)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's mentioned pretty frequently in kengan and we have a multi-page description and depiction of the practice in the first series so yeah it's probably that lol

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

yum posted:

Feel free to correct me, but it's based on the South Asian ritual of guu, which is where you leave a bunch of venomous creatures (spiders, snakes, etc.) in a jar with limited resources so they duke it out and the poison is extracted from the last one standing. The idea is that whatever you are developing will be the most potent in the winner which is developed through the brutal elimination process of the battle royale. Conducting it with insects and creatures is pretty inhumane, so masterminding it using human participants is considered typical psychopath bad guy stuff in a lot of Asian media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu_(poison)

There's a good short sci Fi manga that was built around this. It was also referenced in JJK pretty recently. Neat ideas like that can be expounded on from different angles. It really satisfies the rule of cool (this must be the baddest dude!) even if it doesn't really make much sense.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's sort of like assuming the winner of a Battle Royale match must naturally be some 360 no scoping super monster and not somebody who hid in a bush most of the time and then shot the second to last guy standing in the back.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chefscientist posted:

There's a good short sci Fi manga that was built around this. It was also referenced in JJK pretty recently. Neat ideas like that can be expounded on from different angles. It really satisfies the rule of cool (this must be the baddest dude!) even if it doesn't really make much sense.

Gonna link that sci-fi manga. It's one I adore and re-read every couple years.
Kodoku Experiment
Was also a part of the plot of Ousama game and it's spin-offs.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
New chapter's up and the knife curse continues.

Can't say I'm a fan of whatever it is the manga is doing right now

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We might be being too hard on the story these arcs

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
tbh I just care little for the overarching worm plots, the history, Niko style, the Inside, all of that. I just want to see cool fights that are somewhat based in real martial arts styles, like back in Kengan Asura

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The entire concept of "Inside" is so inherently ludicrous that I just roll with anything at this point.

But what was up with Mukaku's knife looking clumsily photoshopped into the panel where it first appears (out of literal nowhere)? Holds it really awkwardly in subsequent panels, too, like the chapter was basically finished when they decided there should be a knife, for knife-related reasons.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you read it somewhere other than comickey there may well be a missing or out of order page, that happens fairly regularly with aggregators.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 1, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm watching season 2 of the anime and it's going to end before wakatsuki Vs Julius based on where I am and the fight going on FFS. Probably won't get a 3rd season to see.it animated too

Hadn't realised how comparatively small raian is compared to most fighters too lol

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 1, 2023

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CharlestonJew posted:

tbh I just care little for the overarching worm plots, the history, Niko style, the Inside, all of that. I just want to see cool fights that are somewhat based in real martial arts styles, like back in Kengan Asura

I wouldn't mind the crazy plot points if they still served to justify good fights, like John Wick's crazy world of crime. But most of the fights in Omega are worse than the ones in Ashura. And the fight with Mukaku is just another example of this stuff.

Erays3r
Nov 3, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm watching season 2 of the anime and it's going to end before wakatsuki Vs Julius based on where I am and the fight going on FFS. Probably won't get a 3rd season to see.it animated too

Hadn't realised how comparatively small raian is compared to most fighters too lol

It got a 3rd season, rumor is it premieres in September

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
the problem with all the Worm stuff is that it leaves very little room for incredible fightman bromances, which are the best parts of Kengan

the Connector being dumbass-buddies with Koga's uncle and Kazzy? that's a thousand times more fun and interesting than whatever sinister secrets he's actually supposed to be involved with. give me twenty more chapters of him pounding down beers with the other old dudes while doing fight commentary in his head

the long-haired goofball getting bullied by literally everyone, and then holding his own because whining makes him stronger? fuckin hilarious, I could watch him clown on badass muscle dudes all day

but literally everyone else in the Worm is either too cool to hang out with people, or getting ready to off themselves at the first possible opportunity

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A murder-mystery where some people start out as imposters or are replaced by imposters also works best when we can see people in a more casual mood before things jump into being dangerous. I don't remember us really seeing the discrepancy of a person being replaced that we already knew. It is always either the person is already replaced by the time we see them or like Naidan they were always an agent without the need for an original. Maybe I can't remember the one time but it did happen, but it would have been nice to see a character have some minor but inconsistent behavioral trait or slight variation in fighting style so that we could notice along with the characters to ratchet up the paranoia.

Leveraging the way fighters became friendly with each other in Asura was perfect in part for this purpose. Using Koga's uncle as an example; what if without calling overt attention to it he changed the brand of snack he ate while drinking as a spectator and during one of Koga's training sequences doesn't make the joke that Koga should try incorporating biting? All of this while after having gone out one night drinking with the Connector after meeting at a couple different exhibition matches between Purgatory and the KA.

Same applies in combat. We're told that Ghost used a different type of snake kung fu, but we also could have been shown that without explicit commentary until after the fact if we saw the Real Ghost fight once and then later on the imposter gets into a fight and the story shows us the difference and some characters being uneasy, and doesn't piece it all together until the end when he's killed by Ryuki on the streets. Having characters say "I'll improve to win against you later" could also be used to slightly justify these changes since another part of Kengan was fighters either revealing more of their arsenal as things progressed or learning stuff rapidly. It could have cast doubt on whether a fighter having new Tech is just them having practiced off screen or something more sinister.

Basically what I'm saying is that the massive tournament was a huge mistake and we should have had a slower introduction to Purgatory fighters while also creating moments to see them outside the ring. Instead, I think the merger should have started out as it ended with Toyoda and Nogi deciding to slowly integrate their two circuits on the surface but the reality is them pooling their resources to sniff out the worm. And continue to use Koga as he was in the opening of the series, a fighter who trains under a number of other fighters on both sides so we can use his training as a vehicle to meet some of the fighters.

fake edit: It would have been nice if Naidan and his crew interact outside one extra.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like the idea of the inside and the underground and all that. It's basically a nice setting for fightmen to do their thing, but the author is just not that good at utilizing his own concepts

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The imposters storyline works better if the author actually has the balls to kill and replace one of the main characters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Having any idea at all what the worms goal is would be nice

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's starting to look like their goal is rebuilding a tiny gang that was demolished decades ago. this includes recreating the dead members.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, I can at least appreciate Ohma talking a big game and then when we come back to him he's thinking "I have no idea what to do."

I miss Edward Wu. Utterly one dimensional but that one dimension was fun to watch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Edwatd's death was already written and submitted by the time he became popular. Wonder if Sandro had any regrets when he saw how people reacted to the start of his fight.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
It’s been a dangerously long time since we’ve seen the “The Connector” Shen Wulong pop up. By that I mean the little refresher text of his epitaph and full name. I hope they throw that in in every chapter he shows up in all the way to the finale.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want Julius to fight him first. We saw how the Niko Style HUMBLED Wakatsuki so I wanna see how it works against a man nearing the durability of a tank

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Ch 213

Oh for fucks sake, there is no kung-fu bullshit technique bullshit enough to let you tank a straight punch with your nose.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
"THE CONNECTOR," SHEN WULONG.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Isn't Ohma a clone too? Why did Gaoh say Ryuki was the last existing clone?

Why did they even give Ohma a new heart if they were planning on making Ryuki the new Connector. He's the spare?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Warden posted:

Ch 213

Oh for fucks sake, there is no kung-fu bullshit technique bullshit enough to let you tank a straight punch with your nose.

No, you don't understand. Niko style lets you harden the muscles in your face to tank damage. Don't think about how that doesn't make sense at all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Warden posted:

Ch 213

someone needs to read ippo

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Ah yes, the good old chapter 0 spread.
IN THIS UNDERGROUND ARENA THAT WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF THE DAY, ONE MORE WORM IS JOBBING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I just can not care about all these ancient factions and their in-fighting and splinter groups. I do like the connector himself and how strangely chill he is considering what he's all about, but he's the only interesting thing going with the worm.