Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Background objects, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

pulling off a single shell jump consistently is hard enough for most people that have played smw. this whole thing is beyond absurd

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

This hack rules (to watch)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BaconCopter posted:

pulling off a single shell jump consistently is hard enough for most people that have played smw. this whole thing is beyond absurd

i spent some time trying to learn shell jumps and never got it down at all, poo poo is so much harder than it looks

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

this cape stage rules

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i spent some time trying to learn shell jumps and never got it down at all, poo poo is so much harder than it looks

100%. Beating a level in a hack with a shell jump just takes enough patience, doing it infinitely over and over in crazy different ways is so nuts. They keep on talking about how nobody in 2017 could have ever imagined the collective skill level in the community and this run certainly shows that the gently caress off.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

bye yoshi

oh he got the yump finally

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I greatly appreciate Shoujo’s unwavering Yoshi support

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

impressive boss fight

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

perfectly sold that

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

hot loving drat that was insane. such a notoriously brutal hack just smacked left and right. GPB slayed it.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
is the final boss ok

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

that was entertaining as hell start to finish

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oh man, cape shenanigans are always crazy to watch

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Getting TMNT 1 Dam level vibes from this

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A Kaizo that is all cape movement and Carl Sagan references? This is my perfect Kaizo.

Edit: he flew straight through three sawblades :psyduck:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
h

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

poo is a ball of charisma

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

BYEI'MGRANDPOOBEARCOMEFOLLOWME

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
"Very Retired" (Allegedly)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How did we ever manage prize segments before Sent

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mike rules.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

great to see zoast back on for a SM run. he was one of the old guard that always stood out for being incredibly good at his game and chill as gently caress

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Event went so late I had to leave early to catch a flight, hope the end is going strong!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is probably one of the most low-energy GDQ finales but who can blame anyone seeing that it's almost 6 AM local time.

This is also where I have to call it, but have to watch a lot of stuff later, look forward to seeing peoples' rec lists.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

TeaJay posted:

This is probably one of the most low-energy GDQ finales but who can blame anyone seeing that it's almost 6 AM local time.

This is also where I have to call it, but have to watch a lot of stuff later, look forward to seeing peoples' rec lists.

That was my feeling when GPB was on stage, just like after Mario Maker people finally tapped out. Hope they have better control of the schedule next time!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The BOTW run was insane and everyone and everything felt kinda spent after it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And that's the end for this one!

Now it is the time for the post-marathon catchup, and for that, we need recommendations. And so, I will begin by collecting every recommendation list posted after this post and put them in the second post of the thread!

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010
AGDQ 2024 is Jan 7th to Jan 14th.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The credits are still rolling right now, but I'm already typing up some personal recommendations for SGDQ2023:

PHOGS! (remote): An indie game about a two-headed dog in stretchy adventures. Physics are not so much a science but a suggestion in this game, with the dog(s?) spinning, rotating and launching itself everywhere. I can still imagine playing this on co-op with someone because clearly that experience will be nothing like the craziness of this run.

Peggle Deluxe: Is an hour of Peggle really fun to watch? Well, that's up to you. But although the game is just very repetitive the couch does a great job talking about all the tactics, strategies and tricks that go into speedrunning this game. It's more than just shoot at a peg and await the result.

Overcooked! 2: The "YES CHEF" meme got really run into the ground in no time, but I still got to respect the introduction to this run and the teamwork displayed throughout it.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 1 & Curse of the Moon 2: I love Castlevania, but I've seen Symphony of the Night and the first game played in several forms so many times. So I appreciated this continuation/loveletter to the series and love that it has plenty of tricks and strategies to make it more exciting. Also, the second game has a dog... piloting a mech? Amazing! Shout-out to The Blacktastic who ran the first game and was an excellent couch on the second one.

The Elder Scrolls anthology: Two hours, six games (one was an incentive). I like how each title in the series offered something different. Arena is very repetitive, but that's because they broke it that way. Daggerfall feels like such an ambitious title for that era, no wonder it has the reputation that it all feels like it is held together by duct tape (this run included). Morrowind is a blink and you'll miss it run. Oblivion just skips so much. I can't say much about Skyrim, because I was preparing food at that point. Incentive game Redguard is such wonderful late nineties jank.

True Crime: New York City: Speaking of jank, have some more, take your fill! This GTA clone from 2005 has enough of it. A pleasure to watch it being broken apart.

And the rest of my suggestions haven't been uploaded to YouTube yet but they include games like Titanfall 2 and Star Wars: Dark Forces. I'll also still need to watch Alpha Prime but based on the game choice, the runner and the couch I think it'll be amusing to watch.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 4, 2023

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Resident Evil 6 was amazing, very glad the incentive went the way it did. The whole horror block was pretty solid. The silly block was kinda disappointing. True Crime was by far the best but it was also the first game and nothing else even came close.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I went to bed halfway through Mario Maker relay what did I miss

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
PHOGS was a very mood game of weird hot dog creature flopping around to get eaten and then regurgitated.

Peggle had lots of pegging and it was great.

Is that beans? Yes chef, yes it is.

i don't remember why i liked Gauntlet, but i did. maybe for watching someone beat such a quarter eater into submission

Golf It! because the commentary was adorable, and balls were matched.

Give Me Toilet Paper! is a lovely bizarre japanese indie game featuring, well, toilet paper, and someone that needs it.

The Cat in the Hat for primo old licensed game jank.

The Incredible Hulk's runner was great at appreciating Hulk rear end.

i swear this isn't just a listing of Silly Block. i also liked the Pokemon runs! though probably less as something i would recommend for vods than their being good live chill runs

the couple running The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords had a great dynamic; im sad it looks like they maybe don't stream that often, but definitely my one "im subscribing to this channel because i would legit watch these people outside GDQ" even though i don't normally watch much speedrunning outside the events

the SMM relay, however, is definitely VOD-worthy if you somehow missed it. did i quite understand what was going on? no. sort of! i have no idea how the runners do that. primo sports to convince your polycule to watch.

i have no idea how the blind BotW run or the poohbear run went, i passed out before waking up at like 3am most of the way through the metroid race

here's to yet another go of "yeah, you know what, charity needs this more than i do." traveling through less well off parts of the world immediately prior to an MSF fundraiser is one hell of a motivator

thanks to rhythm block for helping me slog through some photo edits

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 4, 2023

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Wild Guns was one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a GDQ

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Recommendations, from what I've watched - there's a lot I haven't that I am still catching up on:

Banjo-Kazooie: long run, but worth it for the nostalgia alone, and some great showing off of tricks, most of which work (and the ones that didn't were very entertaining).

Loom: Ask me about LOOM! (It was good.)

Peggle Deluxe: I never thought Peggle could be this exciting.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night Randomizer: I loved Dr4gonBlitz' run at AGDQ earlier this year and this was more of the same but very, very broken. As ever his patter is great and is good at explaining the game.

Overcooked 2: The origin of YES, CHEF. Also, see the film The Menu.

Alpha Prime: Danejerus is back after his Fashion Police Squad run and this is a doozy. Broken levels and a good amount of jank. Chair, please!

Ratatouille: Where YES, CHEF reached meme status.

The Elder Scrolls Anthology: Watch broken games get ever more broken.

N++: I completely forgot about this game and I used to play it a lot. Great to see someone run it who knows what they're doing.

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask Randomizer: Highly entertaining randomized run by Spikevegeta. Excellent couch and the display showing all the items yet to get was very helpful.

Paper Mario: Also for the nostalgia, but apparently the Paper Mario speedrunning community is absolutely insane with injokes and memes and that made the donations very entertaining, especially because the host was Danejerus.

True Crime New York City: The true start of Silly Block, and Danejerus continues to read out funny donations while the runner plays through a broken yet entertaining GTA clone.

Golf It!: The energy between the two runners was hypnotic. The whole thing is definitely worth a watch for the vibes alone.

Give Me Toilet Paper!: Self-explanatory.

VVVVVV: Excellent game run excellently, and an excuse to listen to that banging soundtrack again.

Wild Guns: YEEEEEHHHHAAWWWWWW! Seriously, watch it, it's only 20 minutes and it's a hell of a ride.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Overcooked 2 was a hell of a thing to be partially asleep for.

all i remember is halfway waking up and hearing people yell "yes chef!" repeatedly

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
A couple I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Kaizo Monkey Ball - Monkey Ball is always hype, now imagine the kinds of stuff a bunch of dedicated fans would put together. Very fun watch.

Clone Hero - What if Guitar Hero, but too much? Truly insane run that starts out looking like hail Mary button mashing, but the longer it goes the more it dawns on you the precision and talent on display. Ends with a sick sing-along, too!

Sure Shot - Mario romhack run by Shoujo. Great goofy energy between the runner and the couch.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

So glad I didn't stay up for the finale, I'd have been ruined for the whole week.

I didn't get to watch as much as I'd have liked to, but my top runs:

Overcooked 2 (All-timer)
FF4 (If you are an RPG-run enjoyer like myself this is top-tier)
Loom (point-and-click shenanigans)
Monkey Island (more point-and-click shenanigans)
SMM2 Relay (Best Mario maker race yet, and that is very high praise)
PHOGS! (Weird-rear end indie game, very compelling)
GTA: SA (kz_frew on couch, broken AF game, very un-marathon safe)
Darkest Dungeon (Bit short, but as someone who sucks at DD this was super cathartic)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The timing for this marathon was very weird. Silly Block was at an unwatchably late hour and the website for GDQ says its going through June 5 but I woke up this morning and the marathon's been over since 4AM for me, apparently. I wish they would be more considerate of west coast timing for the fun stuff :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

the website for GDQ says its going through June 5 but I woke up this morning and the marathon's been over since 4AM for me, apparently.
Where do you see that? IIRC, the schedule showed it ending in the early AM of Sunday from the very first schedule release (and just checked and it does still shows the finale this morning). Unless the website is also including some of the Hotfix supplemental content (e.g., runs accepted as backup) that they sometimes show in the days following the actual marathon?

Totally agree that the timing seemed very weird though. I missed most of the runs because week of Memorial Day just isn't a convenient week for my schedule personally and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also saw a bunch of comments from people who didn't even realize GDQ was happening until partway/most of the way through the event. They announced the early date as far back as the finale of AGDQ and tried to get the word out, but it still felt really off. Looking forward to watching a lot of these in VOD format via the recommendations in the thread.