Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Finally built a new PC after nabbing a 4090 FE from Best Buy thanks to a Wario64 tweet, specifically for 4K gaming on my LG C1 in my living room. AMD 7800X3D, 64 GB of DDR5 6000 RAM and said 4090 FE all wrapped up in a Fractal North so it fits with the rest of my furniture in the living room.

Opted to go air cooling instead of water cooling and nabbed babies first Noctua cooler with the NH-U12A and gently caress the clips used for mounting the fans. The documentation included with the cooler do not adequately describe how you're supposed to keep those fans attached to the tower, made worse when you have unsteady hands. But now that I figured it out I'm never going to forget it, and temps are running pretty cool at load.

Flashed my BIOS to the latest before I even turned on EXPO or installing Windows to avoid the CPU melting issues, capped the power limit of the 4090 FE with MSI Afterburner to 80% with a +100/+300 core/memory overclock, and it's nice seeing Cyberpunk running with all of the bells and whistles, including path tracing, without having performance issues at 4K (with DLSS of course). My i9-9900k/3080 FE really struggled with running raytracing at all on a 1440 ultrawide. All with the GPU running maybe 50W higher than my 3080 FE.

I'm a happy boy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
If I want to build an FTP/web server all I need is a cheap board and processor and shitloads of SSD space yeah? Can I get by with like 4 mega of ram?

And suggestions?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beerdeer posted:

If I want to build an FTP/web server all I need is a cheap board and processor and shitloads of SSD space yeah? Can I get by with like 4 mega of ram?

And suggestions?

If you're trying to go as cheap as possible, you are well into "used Dell on ebay" territory, or if you want 4TB or less of SSD space I'd go with a $120 mini-PC from AliExpress and stick in a single big SSD. I can personally vouch for the Beelink U59 with the N5105 or N95 or N100 as the nicest computer you can buy for under $150 new.

RAM will be used by the OS to cache files, so depending on what exactly you are doing with this lightweight webserver, adding more RAM is likely to make it faster than a faster CPU would.

Edit: if you want redundant storage or 30+TB of space go to the NAS thread and ask. What OS are you planning to run?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Help! A tech support guy told me to run Display Driver Uninstaller and now my PC won’t send any signal to the monitor. Not even an integrated GPU to fall back on. I’ll try swapping in a different GPU…?

e: I also can’t get into safe mode

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Help! A tech support guy told me to run Display Driver Uninstaller and now my PC won’t send any signal to the monitor. Not even an integrated GPU to fall back on. I’ll try swapping in a different GPU…?

e: I also can’t get into safe mode

That’s kinda weird. It should fall back to the default windows one.

Did you try swapping to a different port on the GPU?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I have an upgrade question:

I have a Dell AIO Inspiron 24 5000, with Intel Core i3 1115G4 4,1 GHz, 8 GB RAM 2666 MHz, and a 1 TB harddrive.

I use it for light home use, checking e-mails, watching videos, etc., but it's starting to give me trouble if I try to open too many things at once, to the point the computer freezes and I have to forcibly shut it down.

I took a look at the specifications PDF provided by Dell's website, and it says I could upgrade its RAM to maximum 32 GB (it has two RAM slots), and switch the hard drive for a solid state, 1 TB NVMe PCIe, 3.0 x4, maximum 32 Gbps.

I know it's already fallen behind the times, but could I still get a few more years of use if I upgraded RAM and switched to SSD, or would it be better to start looking at new computers already?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

isasphere posted:

I have an upgrade question:

I have a Dell AIO Inspiron 24 5000, with Intel Core i3 1115G4 4,1 GHz, 8 GB RAM 2666 MHz, and a 1 TB harddrive.

I use it for light home use, checking e-mails, watching videos, etc., but it's starting to give me trouble if I try to open too many things at once, to the point the computer freezes and I have to forcibly shut it down.

I took a look at the specifications PDF provided by Dell's website, and it says I could upgrade its RAM to maximum 32 GB (it has two RAM slots), and switch the hard drive for a solid state, 1 TB NVMe PCIe, 3.0 x4, maximum 32 Gbps.

I know it's already fallen behind the times, but could I still get a few more years of use if I upgraded RAM and switched to SSD, or would it be better to start looking at new computers already?

It doesn’t have an SSD at all? That should be illegal, that computer is not that old. It should be fine to use for years to come with an SSD and ideally a little more RAM. I’d bet on it having a single 8GB stick, so you can throw in another 8GB stick for couch change, or buy a 16GB DIMM for a total of 24.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

MarcusSA posted:

That’s kinda weird. It should fall back to the default windows one.

Did you try swapping to a different port on the GPU?

No other ports, but I did swap in a different GPU and that one works okay (and says 'windows default display driver' in the Device Manager). Odd.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

General Battuta posted:

No other ports, but I did swap in a different GPU and that one works okay (and says 'windows default display driver' in the Device Manager). Odd.

that'll be your default Windows driver maybe install the drivers for the video card that doesn't work and then swap it back in

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

It doesn’t have an SSD at all? That should be illegal, that computer is not that old. It should be fine to use for years to come with an SSD and ideally a little more RAM. I’d bet on it having a single 8GB stick, so you can throw in another 8GB stick for couch change, or buy a 16GB DIMM for a total of 24.

Yeah, it was the budget-iest version. I'm glad to hear it's not that terribly old, though.

I intended to match the 8GB stick, but the one installed appears to be discontinued and I couldn't find a match (the one installed currently is Samsung, 3200 MHz CL 20), so it might be safer to replace it too?

I also had no idea hard drives were so obsolete! I should give more priority to buying an SSD, then?

isasphere fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 4, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

runaway dog posted:

that'll be your default Windows driver maybe install the drivers for the video card that doesn't work and then swap it back in

Don't worry, I already broke the other GPU too! [by installing drivers for it which make it stop working, sigh]

I know this sounds a bit tangled: I've got New GPU which doesn't work when it has the display drivers installed, but does work when it doesn't have its display drivers installed, and Old GPU, which works when it has its display drivers installed and doesn't work when it doesn't. Reinstalling the drivers for Old GPU will probably make it work again (as you have correctly suggested) but just gets me back to square one on New GPU.

I am just gonna haul them both to Microcenter and ask them whether New GPU is hosed or what

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

isasphere posted:

I also had no idea hard drives were so obsolete! I should give more priority to buying an SSD, then?

10000%

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

isasphere posted:

Yeah, it was the budget-iest version. I'm glad to hear it's not that terribly old, though.

I intended to match the 8GB stick, but the one installed appears to be discontinued and I couldn't find a match (the one installed currently is Samsung, 3200 MHz CL 20), so it might be safer to replace it too?

For the love of god, do not buy a system without at least an SSD and preferably an NVMe drive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

isasphere posted:

Yeah it’s going to shock you how big the difference is. HDD->SSD was one of the biggest single-part upgrades I’ve ever done. And you can carry it to a future build!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah it’s going to shock you how big the difference is. HDD->SSD was one of the biggest single-part upgrades I’ve ever done. And you can carry it to a future build!

For my use though going from SSD to NvME wasn't so amazing.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Going from an HDD to an SSD is night and day in performance in a way that a lot of other upgrades aren't, and I'd definitely prioritize that over anything else - you can get totally fine 1tb SATA SSDs for $40-50

I'd do the memory upgrade at the same time and test everything before putting it back together, looking over the manual for that Dell AIO it seems like the kind of thing I wouldn't want to open more than once if I could help it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

For my use though going from SSD to NvME wasn't so amazing.

Yeah it was a marginal speed gain but getting rid of all those cables…

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For the love of god, do not buy a system without at least an SSD and preferably an NVMe drive.

I still don't understand how this happens. The computer I had put together in 2011 had an SSD (120 GB only, but still). It's still going strong in a secondary system (an old HP).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Don't worry, I already broke the other GPU too! [by installing drivers for it which make it stop working, sigh]

I know this sounds a bit tangled: I've got New GPU which doesn't work when it has the display drivers installed, but does work when it doesn't have its display drivers installed, and Old GPU, which works when it has its display drivers installed and doesn't work when it doesn't. Reinstalling the drivers for Old GPU will probably make it work again (as you have correctly suggested) but just gets me back to square one on New GPU.

I am just gonna haul them both to Microcenter and ask them whether New GPU is hosed or what

I'd go into your BIOS and set the PCIe slot to 3.0. When I first got my 3080 12GB I thought it was busted because I was getting no video, then someone in the GPU thread reminded me that some board/GPU combinations resulted in PCIe 4.0 not working.

If you haven't updated your BIOS recently I'd say this is definitely something to check. On my board after updating the BIOS for a new CPU the PCIe slot behavior also normalized and I haven't had to worry about it since.

Edit: Also double-check the power cables, make sure they're seated well, etc.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Thank you all for the advice! I will upgrade asap.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd go into your BIOS and set the PCIe slot to 3.0. When I first got my 3080 12GB I thought it was busted because I was getting no video, then someone in the GPU thread reminded me that some board/GPU combinations resulted in PCIe 4.0 not working.

If you haven't updated your BIOS recently I'd say this is definitely something to check. On my board after updating the BIOS for a new CPU the PCIe slot behavior also normalized and I haven't had to worry about it since.

Edit: Also double-check the power cables, make sure they're seated well, etc.

The Microcenter guys couldn't get the GPU to work on their test bench, which I hope means it's actually broke and we're not all just making some goofy slot/BIOS related error. Thank you for the suggestion though!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I wish that I could experience putting an SSD in my computer for the first time again

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I remember buying an 80GB Intel 320 SSD, it was a mind-bending experience coming from spinning rust.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Another newbie question:

Is it safe to use a NVMe PCle Gen 4 SSD if my motherboard only supports up to Gen 3?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

isasphere posted:

Another newbie question:

Is it safe to use a NVMe PCle Gen 4 SSD if my motherboard only supports up to Gen 3?

Yes, PCIe is backwards compatible. The drive will perform to PCIe 3.0 performance levels so you aren’t getting quite your full moneys worth but it won’t perform worse than a 3.0 drive. they’re pretty long lived and you will likely want to put it in another computer later on, so buying a 4.0 drive and running it in a 3.0 slot is probably worth the roughly $10-20 price premium for a 1TB drive.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, PCIe is backwards compatible. The drive will perform to PCIe 3.0 performance levels so you aren’t getting quite your full moneys worth but it won’t perform worse than a 3.0 drive. they’re pretty long lived and you will likely want to put it in another computer later on, so buying a 4.0 drive and running it in a 3.0 slot is probably worth the roughly $10-20 price premium for a 1TB drive.

This is incredibly useful info to know, thank you.

It turns out that what I have is an usually small slot size for SSDs (the same one the Steam Deck uses, apparently?), and the few I can find around here -- from non-dubious brands -- range from one third to half what the computer cost.

And just in case I checked and this motherboard has no SSD SATA slots/connectors either. So welp. I'll save money and wait to see what pops up, and definitely be more careful about compatibility and upgrades with the next computer in the future.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

isasphere posted:

This is incredibly useful info to know, thank you.

It turns out that what I have is an usually small slot size for SSDs (the same one the Steam Deck uses, apparently?), and the few I can find around here -- from non-dubious brands -- range from one third to half what the computer cost.

And just in case I checked and this motherboard has no SSD SATA slots/connectors either. So welp. I'll save money and wait to see what pops up, and definitely be more careful about compatibility and upgrades with the next computer in the future.

What? What motherboard do you have? That just doesn't right, unless it is some oddball small form factor board or something.

Also, about the PCIe SSD thing, if memory serves 4.0 drives perform slightly better than 3.0 drives even when running in a 3.0 slot.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm pretty sure isasphere mentioned he was running an all-in-one. Those machines often use laptop M/Bs, so not having a full-sized M.2 would make sense. The existing H/D should be pretty easy to replace with an SSD, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

grack posted:

I'm pretty sure isasphere mentioned he was running an all-in-one. Those machines often use laptop M/Bs, so not having a full-sized M.2 would make sense. The existing H/D should be pretty easy to replace with an SSD, though.

:doh: I forgot. Disregard the motherboard question.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's actually a very small form factor, 2230. Looking through pictures, it's this teeny tiny square, compared to the normal long rectangles that regular computers use.

I found an online listing of the motherboard, for reference:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124960641668

grack posted:

The existing H/D should be pretty easy to replace with an SSD, though.

Sorry, I'm confused by this part. Would an SSD fit in the same space where the current harddrive is? /sincere; I've never replaced computer parts or built a PC.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Yeah, the move would be to replace the existing 2.5 HDD with an SSD (that's where you'd be getting your SATA hookup from) and then do a fresh Windows install - virtually all motherboards from big OEMs like Dell embed the Windows key in the board itself, so it wouldn't be especially difficult to do

You also might wanna get a SATA to USB peripheral, in case you wanna pull something from your current drive

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, wow, I was such an idiot, I didn't realize that was an option! Googling things earlier made me think that wouldn't be compatible here?

Seriously, thank you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

Yeah, the move would be to replace the existing 2.5 HDD with an SSD (that's where you'd be getting your SATA hookup from) and then do a fresh Windows install - virtually all motherboards from big OEMs like Dell embed the Windows key in the board itself, so it wouldn't be especially difficult to do

You also might wanna get a SATA to USB peripheral, in case you wanna pull something from your current drive

Simply cloning the existing hard drive to the SSD over a USB-SATA cable and then doing the replacement would be easier. No need to re-install Windows.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 5, 2023

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Holy poo poo, I can actually do this, thank you all so much.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Since the SSD is physically smaller than the HDD (right?) is that going to cause this person any problem? I remember I had to use zip ties to hold an SSD in place since it was too small to snap into the HDD cage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

A lot of 2.5" SSDs will come with a spacer to fill the extra volume, but I noticed the most recent one I bought didn't.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The HDD in the Dell all-in-one looks to be a 2.5 inch laptop drive, so it should be a 1:1 kinda thing - if it was a 3.5 inch drive, yeah, it'd be time to bust out the double sided 3M

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

The HDD in the Dell all-in-one looks to be a 2.5 inch laptop drive, so it should be a 1:1 kinda thing - if it was a 3.5 inch drive, yeah, it'd be time to bust out the double sided 3M

The difference is between 7mm, 9.5mm, and 15mm tall 2.5" disks, you can design a cage so that it can fit either but a lot of cheap computers don't and need the spacer.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Aaah I dig what you mean! In this case, the drive slots directly into a SATA data + power header that's hard mounted to the motherboard itself while the drive sits between two brackets

The brackets should take care of any spacing difference, there'd just be a little air gap underneath the SSD while its held in place from the side (edit: or possibly a gap above the SSD? I'd have to check what direction is up on that connector again :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I watched a HD replacement video for the Dell 24 series All-in-ones - the drive screws in to the bracket from the sides. No spacer is needed in any dimension.