Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EricBauman posted:

and then, just when you've found the exact right way to pronounce the exact right wording for a command, there's an update that breaks everything

you also, broadly, expect the same command to produce the same output if you run it again. this is not the case with anything backed by gpt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

The problem I've always had with voice assistant stuff is that it feels like using a cli where there's no documentation on what the actual commands are

yah lol you have to train yourself because it sure as heck ain’t learning to work with you

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

yeah everyone better get used to everything everywhere being constantly in flux and fine tuned by some ab test that is trying to minmax some number that has to go up, but does not have to be tied to any kind of usability or quality of user experience

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that was finished and omnipresent by 2015, what do you mean "get used to"

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that was finished and omnipresent by 2015, what do you mean "get used to"

it took a while for this stuff to spread outside of figgielands

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but like, 70% of all western consumer web is made in figgielands prime and secondus, and eastern consumer web is also heavily centralized in 1-4 cities per language, so that doesn't matter much for your browsing experience

like, you could colorably say amazon's first ab test was "having recommendations at all", in fuckin 1998. and they had a relatively sophisticated operation by like 2004

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 4, 2023

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

went out with some friends to play duckpin. they’re all recent immigrants who aren’t familiar with bowling in general so naturally they were asking questions about how the scoring works. i was able to answer most of the questions except for the ‘what does the circle around the number mean’ which i was fairly sure signaled a split but i decided to google it to be sure.

i’m done with google. every single result wasn’t just a giant pile of ai generated garbage but ai generated garbage that wasn’t even comprehensible. one of the pages had ‘what does the circle around the number mean?’ as the question and the answer was: Sunday 10 am to 5 pm. Monday 10 am to 8 pm.

the world wide web is dead. it’s loving done.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you add "reddit" to your query you can get a good answer pretty quickly

but don't worry, the reddit owners are doing their best to close that loophole

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

but like, 70% of all western consumer web is made in figgielands prime and secondus, and eastern consumer web is also heavily centralized in 1-4 cities per language, so that doesn't matter much for your browsing experience

like, you could colorably say amazon's first ab test was "having recommendations at all", in fuckin 1998. and they had a relatively sophisticated operation by like 2004

idgaf about figgileands prime and secondus. the 70% of all western consumer web might have been made there, but it was not widely used until i would say the covid pandemic and lockdowns. amazon, uber and airbnb are probably the exceptions. because let's face it, in europe at least the service quality was not utter poo poo and it took amazon et al some loss leading and legal fuckery thanks to the capital accumulated in the states to get to number 1
also the web 2.0 rounded corners remake of government run public services to migrate off http activex ie 6.0 compatible jank started happening only maybe 5 years ago because by and large people did not care about or trust digital government services

e: i am exaggerating of course, but some of the biggest software houses in what is supposed to be a forward looking it country - estonia - have not adopted containerization which is a technology so widespread that docker-chef-nginx you name it have already started enshittification in order to make money somehow

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the above is meant to say that outside of main figgielands i dont think most software developers are actively using things like cloud, k8s, relentless ab testing and other technologies that people in this thread are intimately familiar with and view as "old"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, i guess that's a path to getting from 70% to 95%, unfortunately

the way the prc got its own consumer web was by 100% mercantilist bans, but euros don't wanna do that apparently

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

this whole post is something i pulled out of my rear end (even more than usual) but

probably the eu depends too much on the states for trade that they do can not afford to start a trade war by banning faang

and probably the consumer web as it is built by silicon valley is not worth building really, at least not in the form of advertising-funded enshittification it has metastasized into. really the only reason would be to kind of cosplay a sv-like developed economy, where everyone works at a startup (eventually funded by zero interest loans) and then occasionally sells their startup for megabucks, which keeps the music playing while all the tangible results are yet another javascript ui framework, a few instant messenger apps and hopefully some money also injected into the local real economy because all the tech workers also have to eat and do human things too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

went out with some friends to play duckpin. they’re all recent immigrants who aren’t familiar with bowling in general so naturally they were asking questions about how the scoring works. i was able to answer most of the questions except for the ‘what does the circle around the number mean’ which i was fairly sure signaled a split but i decided to google it to be sure.

i’m done with google. every single result wasn’t just a giant pile of ai generated garbage but ai generated garbage that wasn’t even comprehensible. one of the pages had ‘what does the circle around the number mean?’ as the question and the answer was: Sunday 10 am to 5 pm. Monday 10 am to 8 pm.

it's kind of wild that the generation after the one that grew up using the internet to learn will have an internet that is literally impossible to learn anything from

good thing they still make books, i guess. the return of grade school library trips to look up facts in a 50-year old encyclopedia

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

we are going to go back to a curated list of sites like yahoo started with

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

infernal machines posted:

good thing they still make books, i guess. the return of grade school library trips to look up facts in a 50-year old encyclopedia

wild guess but i think most of the important information that's in books and other written media was never on the internet to begin with.

the best you will get are 256x256 pixel lossy encoded jpegs on some archive database website

we have more detailed histories online about a random meme from 2008 than we have about the history of the streets we live on

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

did you try asking chatgpt it nails that kind of simple question for me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

4lokos basilisk posted:

we are going to go back to a curated list of sites like yahoo started with

pretty much. Wikipedia for rigorously vetted factual information* about important things. Reddit for community vetted information about unimportant things. a news site that aligns with your views to stay informed. your favorite social media feed or dead gay forum for memes and jokes and the occasional organically curated link. the rest is a wasteland

*well, more so than the rest of the internet

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

poty posted:

how many times does the letter t occur in the word "turtle"?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

infernal machines posted:

wonder how long it'll take for somebody to pitch print-on-demand gpt-generated book vending machines as an alternative to libraries, like how redbox drove the final stake through the heart of video rental places

poty
Jun 21, 2008

4lokos basilisk posted:

how many times does the letter t occur in the word "turtle"?

ive seen the funny tweet with how many ns in mayonnaise but it works for me

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

tech bubble v5.5: be careful, the bot may be completely wrong

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Internet Janitor posted:

wonder how long it'll take for somebody to pitch print-on-demand gpt-generated book vending machines as an alternative to libraries, like how redbox drove the final stake through the heart of video rental places

literally 1984

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"it's a book. it's a non-volatile storage medium. it's very rare. you should have one."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Internet Janitor posted:

"it's a book. it's a non-volatile storage medium. it's very rare. you should have one."

“Wow cool where do I log in?”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

all the redboxes around me are getting taken out. the one at the grocery store i go to all the time that i never saw with a line shorter than three deep at any time of the day or night disappeared a year ago.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
In May 2022, Chicken Soup for the Soul announced its intention to acquire Redbox for $375 million.[4]

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

poty posted:

lol yeah my gf did this while i was showing everyone the absolute trash google was giving me. we already know the issues with chatgpt though. it’s a poor substitute for what we used to have

five years ago the top hit would have been a site run by bowling fanatics and it would have had a nice page about all the things you need to know as a beginner. now it’s infinite sites with just a wall of text with hundreds of the same question phrased slightly differently over and over again with no accurate information at all

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

In May 2022, Chicken Soup for the Soul announced its intention to acquire Redbox for $375 million.[4]

lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you're talkin 10, 15 years ago at this point

they failed to run the red queen's race

poty
Jun 21, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol yeah my gf did this while i was showing everyone the absolute trash google was giving me. we already know the issues with chatgpt though. it’s a poor substitute for what we used to have

five years ago the top hit would have been a site run by bowling fanatics and it would have had a nice page about all the things you need to know as a beginner. now it’s infinite sites with just a wall of text with hundreds of the same question phrased slightly differently over and over again with no accurate information at all

true and sad

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

poty posted:

I have never used a gpt thing. It seems like a neat party trick that relies on you already knowing the answer so you can be impressed with it. If you don't know the answer already, it seems very risky to trust its response. If you do know the answer already, why bother asking?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

I have never used a gpt thing. It seems like a neat party trick that relies on you already knowing the answer so you can be impressed with it. If you don't know the answer already, it seems very risky to trust its response. If you do know the answer already, why bother asking?

to normalize taking gpt's word for it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i see a lot of people using it at rough draft generators for papers and emails. I know some people have used it to generate unit tests. All of these seem like reasonable use cases.

Like i still think the entire branch of technology should be pruned away but if youre gonna use it those seem like the right ways.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i use it to fluff up replies to customers and vendors so i seem like less of a terse rear end in a top hat

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

it's only risky if you use it for risky topics or questions. if you use it as a google substitute for bowling questions and similar, it gets you an answer that is most likely correct and very quick

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah but in that case you could also ask the person at the front desk, who knows a lot about bowling. Then you don't have to take out your phone in a social situation.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

you're talkin 10, 15 years ago at this point

they failed to run the red queen's race

you’re not wrong but ten years ago is when the writing was on the wall. if you were technically savvy you could still contort google into giving you decent results. over the past few years is when it rapidly decayed and i’ve mostly still been trying out of habit more than anything else. i’ve started coming to terms with it a few months ago and last night was when i finally snapped

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

rotor posted:

i see a lot of people using it at rough draft generators for papers and emails. I know some people have used it to generate unit tests. All of these seem like reasonable use cases.

Like i still think the entire branch of technology should be pruned away but if youre gonna use it those seem like the right ways.

i would say that using chatgpt to generate unit tests probably involves pasting your proprietary code into the thing, which is an action that is kind of frowned upon by your company's security and legal teams

i do get the idea though. i usually get my tests by copying some existing ones and modifying them.
then again this does not work if you are doing test driven development

rough draft generators for papers and emails and other kinds of creative kickstarting stuff could probably be implemented without trying to create a generalized chat ai for Everything, i.e. it's a much more focused task that probably does not need such a massive pile of compute thrown at it. hell, you could probably train your own pocket gpt based on... your own e-mails of maybe from your team's or your company's

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

rotor posted:

yeah this is how i use it. it’s p useful in this case but as we’ve said a bajillion times itt glorified autocomplete isn’t going to get you tech bublé valuations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

4lokos basilisk posted:

this whole post is something i pulled out of my rear end (even more than usual) but

probably the eu depends too much on the states for trade that they do can not afford to start a trade war by banning faang

and probably the consumer web as it is built by silicon valley is not worth building really, at least not in the form of advertising-funded enshittification it has metastasized into. really the only reason would be to kind of cosplay a sv-like developed economy, where everyone works at a startup (eventually funded by zero interest loans) and then occasionally sells their startup for megabucks, which keeps the music playing while all the tangible results are yet another javascript ui framework, a few instant messenger apps and hopefully some money also injected into the local real economy because all the tech workers also have to eat and do human things too

european govts acting strongly against big american corps sends the wrong message to their own big domestic corps and citizens: govt is more powerful than capital.
if you show the world that you know that is true, your own people will also ask you to act against polluting industries, and your benefactors in business will stop supporting your party with big donations and influence

fundamentally, most european govts dont believe in the concept of govt anymore, so they wont do anything about anything. govt is a mechanism for the privatization of those few things that somehow werent privatized yet