Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I don't get the table tennis thing, can someone explain the own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Shidong caught the ball thinking the volley was over when Karlsson hit the ball twice… when in fact he did not.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't get the table tennis thing, can someone explain the own?

He fakes the other guy out into thinking he hit the ball twice, which would end the play and award serve or the point to the other guy. The other guy thought he had the point/serve so caught the ball to serve.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
If it wasn't an intentional fakeout, I think they should have allowed another go at it. Nothing about this demonstrates one player's skill over the other; it was a fluke and should be given a whoopsie

e: I mean, was it intentional or not?

If it was intentional, that's pretty slick. But it didn't seem to be...?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Theres a supposed saying I heard long ago: If you do business with Danes you need a watertight contract, with Norwegians it requires a contract and a language teacher, and with a Finn you only need a handshake.

If you do business with Swedes you also only need a handshake. But you need to count your fingers afterwards

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

credburn posted:

If it wasn't an intentional fakeout, I think they should have allowed another go at it. Nothing about this demonstrates one player's skill over the other; it was a fluke and should be given a whoopsie

... what?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

You want a detailed summary of what happened? Alright, here goes:

The player motioned to the ref and said to him "Did he hit the ball twice?" The ref said he did not.

So the Swedish player didn't hit the ball twice, and had to get into a special ping pong suit (tight shorts... Ugh).

The Swedish player said "Can I hit it twice even if not intentional?". The ref said "No." So the Swedish player with his short, brown hair won the point and must have enjoyed it... but the Chinese player did not.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
You're allowed to swing as many times as you want, but you can only hit it once. You can do this in tennis as well if you get a well placed lab in your direction. Nothing says you have to wait for the ball to bounce and a lot of players will smash it right out of the air on a lob. Way way way way way way back when I was playing tennis regularly, once in awhile I would swing and miss when the ball was on its way down on purpose, and then when it bounced tap it lately over the net. It worked more often than it didn't.

So the same thing applies in ping pong, but it's harder to do because well it's loving ping pong that's why

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Flyinglemur posted:

You're allowed to swing as many times as you want, but you can only hit it once. You can do this in tennis as well if you get a well placed lab in your direction.

Wow in pro tennis they can send dogs over the net? Why have I never heard of this during Wimbledon?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

credburn posted:

Why in the ever loving gently caress would it matter if it was intentional or not?

This isn't some backyard pickup game where you get a do-over because your big brother tricked you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That's on another level

...if he did it deliberately. But even then, to realize you had missed and then get in position for a second go is incredible.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Faking your opponents out is one of the best things in sports, it'd be dumb as hell if it was illegal

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_srgs_JdSs

Lemon
May 22, 2003

His reaction makes it seem like it wasn't intentional. If he was trying to purposely trick his opponent, why would he then be like "no what are you doing" when they give up on the point?

It might have been intentional insofar as doing a dummy swing to fake them out a bit/get them off balance whatever, but he certainly didn't appear to be purposely trying to make them think he hit the ball twice.

Lemon has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Jun 2, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Is there a rule in tabletennis that you can't return an illegal shot or something? If not, it was dumb for the dude to catch it. Keep playing and leave that poo poo to the umpire/referee.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bike tory posted:

Is there a rule in tabletennis that you can't return an illegal shot or something? If not, it was dumb for the dude to catch it. Keep playing and leave that poo poo to the umpire/referee.

He probably assumed that he would be awarded the point since it looked like the other player hit it twice. A bad decision but one made in the heat of a game so understandable.

https://i.imgur.com/wNAWSs4.mp4

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
source: The Vision of Escaflowne
https://i.imgur.com/YaJ64e7.mp4

and from the Escaflowne movie:
https://i.imgur.com/QtaxaZ8.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/ztXO96Y.mp4

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
What are the escaflowne mecha? Biomechanical?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in the movie yeah, but not really in the show, they're much more mechanical.

the movie version they're basically vampires, fueled by the blood of the pilot, while in the show they're powered by...something, energy crystals or some poo poo, been a while since I watched it. but I can absolutely see that first gif as a movie version where the goo is just blood gushing everywhere :v:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Theres a supposed saying I heard long ago: If you do business with Danes you need a watertight contract, with Norwegians it requires a contract and a language teacher, and with a Finn you only need a handshake.

If you do business with Swedes you also only need a handshake. But you need to count your fingers afterwards

Please don't make broad generalizations about groups of people like that.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Man I love Escaflowne. Probably my favorite anime.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

lol at the "Its a grower not a show'er" sword

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Eh

ilmucche has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Jun 3, 2023

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

luchadornado posted:

You want a detailed summary of what happened? Alright, here goes:

The player motioned to the ref and said to him "Did he hit the ball twice?" The ref said he did not.

So the Swedish player didn't hit the ball twice, and had to get into a special ping pong suit (tight shorts... Ugh).

The Swedish player said "Can I hit it twice even if not intentional?". The ref said "No." So the Swedish player with his short, brown hair won the point and must have enjoyed it... but the Chinese player did not.

So did any of them have to take a bath and did they enjoy it or what??

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Dragonstoned posted:

lol at the "Its a grower not a show'er" sword

If I recall correctly, there was some old dude with a definite "shower" of a sword in that. Like a 12 foot sword, but it had holes in it so it wouldn't be too ridiculous.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He probably assumed that he would be awarded the point since it looked like the other player hit it twice. A bad decision but one made in the heat of a game so understandable.

https://i.imgur.com/wNAWSs4.mp4

I have a neighbor who got a spite rooster and this is my life every day around 4:15AM.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/5w3p9qg.mp4

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

hosed up that they only let him use the one drum tbh

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

in the movie yeah, but not really in the show, they're much more mechanical.

the movie version they're basically vampires, fueled by the blood of the pilot, while in the show they're powered by...something, energy crystals or some poo poo, been a while since I watched it. but I can absolutely see that first gif as a movie version where the goo is just blood gushing everywhere :v:

I recently rewatched the series. They never really explain how the guymelefs/mechas work. They imply that they get power from "energist cystals" which can be mined from earth or retrieved from a slain dragon (iirc the places where they are mined are places where lots of dragons died). Energist seems to be the main power source for everything (airships, weapons, etc), not just 'melefs. The first gif there is from the episode where they come across an energist mine. In that episode, Van says something along the lines of "In a war, whichever side has the most energist will win".

Escaflowne (Van's guymelef) is a special type that can 1: transform into a dragon and fly and 2: is cursed so that whatever damage it takes is also taken by the pilot. Van is the king of Fanelia and Escaflowne is a machine passed along his family line and seems to be connected to him through his bloodline. He had to slay a dragon and recover the energist as a trial before he could use the mecha.

impossiboobs has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Jun 4, 2023

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Jesus that was awesome.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/Ke22eJX.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/hKT3xtp.mp4

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thorns fútbol! :krad:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Incredible stuff lol.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

bamboozled

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

credburn posted:

This is a nonsensical way to interpret a very clear cut case of one player making a legal play and the other player making a mistake thinking it wasn't and awarding their opponent a point in doing so

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/A36ueLC.mp4

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

What is that man DOING to his cheeks??

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Same thing Dizzy did.