Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Never been to East LA?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Vietnam war AKA The ninth crusade

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wonder how that happened

it doesnt appear to be mixed up codes, for example afaict Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) is pointed at Antalya (AYT) and Chicago (CHI or ORD) is pointed at Tel Aviv (TLV)

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

More to the point, why is there a hairy coconut on board?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frazzbo posted:

More to the point, why is there a hairy coconut on board?

The swallows that used to carry them are endangered

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I hope the flight plan wasn't from Istanbul to Bucharest and fuel only for a short trip... :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Does Wikipedia still allow SVG hotlinking?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/1661553060735332354

2024: anticable is discovered, all shows begin to report negative viewership numbers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theres not even a real need to gently caress with the y axies, 40% is still a pretty massive decline in only a decade

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They could also have just not hosed with the axis because Twitter is liable to do it for them anyway.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

They could also have just not hosed with the axis because Twitter is liable to do it for them anyway.

right, the axis fuckery isnt even visible to me lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Posted in the political cartoons thread. "Tats" being the author of Sinfest.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It also tells something about his truest fans ("haters") that someone went through the trouble of counting all of them. It takes real dedication to read Sinfest that thoroughly.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Nenonen posted:

It also tells something about his truest fans ("haters") that someone went through the trouble of counting all of them. It takes real dedication to read Sinfest that thoroughly.

I was gonna go with "masochism" but dedication works too

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Masochism would imply getting some kind of pleasure out of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/research/update-on-cancer-deaths/index.htm

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Nenonen posted:

For those not on the politoons thread, he started as a fairly feminist gamer webcartoonist. He's gone increasingly terf, swerf, anti-"woke" and fascist over the past few years. Somebody went to the trouble of actually putting numbers on this to show these changes. He's pretty much full on fascist now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

For those not on the politoons thread, he started as a fairly feminist gamer webcartoonist. He's gone increasingly terf, swerf, anti-"woke" and fascist over the past few years. Somebody went to the trouble of actually putting numbers on this to show these changes. He's pretty much full on fascist now.

He started as a dudebro then become more feminist more or less coinciding with the Obama admin. At some point he did a total 180 and did as per the above.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The x‐axis should be labelled with month names, not a smattering of dates in 2023 that only aligns with one of the three plotted datasets.

Also the baseline is screwy. Smooth it out. And why is it based on data from the years 2017–2021, excluding 2020? Surely 2021 is just as tainted.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/health/causes-death/provisional-mortality-statistics/latest-release

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

The x‐axis should be labelled with month names, not a smattering of dates in 2023 that only aligns with one of the three plotted datasets.

Blame Julius Caeser, though I suppose he paid a fair price.

(that "smattering" appears to bs evenly spaced 14 days apart, probably because days per month aren't uniform)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
RIP Millions dead due to Julius Caesar invention, calendar

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't have time to go into their methodology, but if you are making a base mortality statistic, choosing the past 5 years as your baseline is perfectly fine as long as you don't arbitrarily move your baseline.

The result may be that mortality drops below your baseline next year, because the baseline includes elevated rates. But that's fine, it indicates that things are still changing. And in a few more years, barring other events, baseline and current death will align again indicating that things are normal, whatever that normal may be.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Data's kinda useless without context, is this for a country with an aging population? If so, a rise in mortality is expected.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

There's been a rise in mortality in a number of western countries post-covid. Aside from Australia Canada and much of Europe are affected.

Here's a (paywalled) article. Unfortunately no other chart there.
https://www.economist.com/leaders/2023/01/19/excess-deaths-are-soaring-as-health-care-systems-wobble

quote:

Worse care is contributing to huge numbers of excess deaths. Mortality in Europe is about 10% higher than expected in a normal year. In mid-December French and German deaths were a quarter higher.

quote:

Yet squeezed budgets do not fully explain the disarray. Even in places with ample funding, health care is struggling with the unprecedented effects of the pandemic. On the demand side, covid has left behind sicker populations. After years of avoiding flu, many people are now getting it. The world is also discovering some of the costs of lockdowns. In 2020-21 many hospitals and family doctors cancelled appointments for non-covid conditions. People who postponed treatment for other maladies are presenting with later-stage illnesses that need more expensive treatment; they also have poorer chances of recovery.

Covid hits the supply side, too. Many hospitals continue to isolate covid-positive patients and maintain strict cleaning regimes. This eats up time and resources. In addition, staff are burned out. The result seems to have been a decline in productivity. Excluding primary care, the nhs has 13% more doctors and 10% more nurses than in 2019, yet it is treating fewer patients from its waiting list.

It's odd that it doesn't get more press. An increase in excess deaths by 10% is not at all normal especially if it is maintained.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
neoliberalism working as intended

what's to report?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
covid is neoliberalism

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We know that disabilities are up too but there's a lot less good data on that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

piL posted:

Blame Julius Caeser, though I suppose he paid a fair price.

(that "smattering" appears to bs evenly spaced 14 days apart, probably because days per month aren't uniform)

This is clearly auto-labelling run amok.

The American CDC labels their comparable charts with January 1 and July 1, even though those are as unequal as any six-month period, one hundred and eighty-one days (except in leap years) versus one hundred and eighty-four.

It almost makes me wonder if the Australians statistics bureau cut 2020 only because it was a leap year.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 20:21 on May 29, 2023

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1665444603829407746

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

More like covid cryptid

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Add some pastel colours and a vhs filter to the female symbols and you've got yourself some cute anime critters

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I always thought the arrows and crosses were just gender designations, not specifically what kind of genitals I have. Is that not the case?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

credburn posted:

I always thought the arrows and crosses were just gender designations, not specifically what kind of genitals I have. Is that not the case?

The symbols come from the planets, and represent the gods they're named after. Mars is meant to be a helmet and spear, Venus is meant to be a mirror.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the male symbol is the alchemical symbol for iron, which is hard like a penis, and the female symbol is the one for copper, like the skin of the statue of liberty. i'm pretty sure this is the official rationale

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Something something tastes like copper

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pikmin 4's going to be weird.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Sort of unsure if they person who did that graph doesn't think that penis come out of the side of peoples head.

I mean they probably don't but people who make graphs for a living can often be a bit hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It's an erect penis, which comes out of the Big Ball, from which the two Lesser Balls hang.

You never take human anatomy?