Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

hes younger iirc so maybe he was like 12 on the forums if that was where that came from

Maybe he's BBaB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrObrero
Sep 7, 2022
Really dig the new Godflesh album. It's like a mix of "Us and Them" and the heavier moments of Jesu and Blood of Hereos.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Today i met some death metal fans who had seemingly never heard of Death. This is my version of that movie Yesterday.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Today i met some death metal fans who had seemingly never heard of Death. This is my version of that movie Yesterday.

That's pretty funny lol.

Speaking of which, I wonder what Death would be like today if Chuck were alive. He always had different bands play on each record so it is hard to picture.

If I had to choose a stable line up I'd probably choose Gene Hoglan and Steve DiGiorgio like on ITP but the guitar player I am not sure about.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

vinyl estore going out of business and having a clearance sale. apparently there's good deals you might wanna check it out

https://www.musicmegastore.com/product-category/vinyl/page/5/

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Less Claypool posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder what Death would be like today if Chuck were alive. He always had different bands play on each record so it is hard to picture.

Just like Opeth but jazz

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, extrapolating out from TSoP, it would be full-on prog at this point.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Been listening to a lot of the classic Maiden albums this past week and I really think Powerslave is the most complete one. Losfer Words might also be my favorite instrumental by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrjwpI7PPc

Just feel like Powerslave doesn't really have a weak track and it flows very well.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Vargatron posted:

Just feel like Powerslave doesn't really have a weak track and it flows very well.

i've thought this more than once. flash of the blade is my favorite maiden song.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Big agree. Also it has Rime, my favorite Maiden song.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I could argue that powerslave and killers are the two that you can listen to all the way through without feeling like you need to skip a track. Seventh Son is close to being on that list except a few parts just drag on too long

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

Been listening to a lot of the classic Maiden albums this past week and I really think Powerslave is the most complete one. Losfer Words might also be my favorite instrumental by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrjwpI7PPc

that's how i feel about Somewhere in Time tbh

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Less Claypool posted:

That's pretty funny lol.

If I had to choose a stable line up I'd probably choose Gene Hoglan and Steve DiGiorgio like on ITP but the guitar player I am not sure about.

He would have done another couple of Control Denied records and then quit music citing constant demands for him to make another Human or Scream Bloody Gore

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Somewhere in Time was actually my first Maiden album! I love it to death. I think my mom picked it up for me when I was like 14 and told her to get me a metal CD while she was at the mall.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My dad bought me a vinyl copy of From Enslavement to Obliteration when he went to England on a work trip. Also Overkill’s gently caress You but I never really listened to it much. I hadn’t asked for either so that was a fun surprise.

It’s nice having a parent who is sympathetic to weird interests

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
This demo is pretty cool; riffy blackish death metal similar to Sacriphyx and the like:

https://bogsidesnipersquadron.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Powerslave and Piece of Mind are my absolute faves, along with Live After Death being a nice amalgamation of everything.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Piece of Mind has some absolute bangers but some of the songs are just way too corny nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFD0eo-hErU

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 12, 2023

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I'm gonna go with Somewhere in Time, because Alexander the Great is Maiden's GOAT

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Piece of Mind has some absolute bangers but some of the songs are just way too corny nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFD0eo-hErU
You have to laugh that even an Iron Maiden song about cavemen is still somehow about colonizing primitive tribes

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
There are so many good songs on their 2000s albums too.The Wicker Man, Rainmaker ext.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Less Claypool posted:

There are so many good songs on their 2000s albums too.The Wicker Man, Rainmaker ext.

yeah wicker man definitely owns

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a coworker who insisted that I not bother with anything after Seventh Son. I haven’t really checked into why that was his stopping point, but also haven’t checked out whatever album was #8 or later.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

szary posted:

I'm gonna go with Somewhere in Time, because Alexander the Great is Maiden's GOAT

Somewhere in Time is a nice album but full of their worst tendencies, and AtG is like the ultimate example of that.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
#8-#11 are not worth checking out outside of a few select tracks. But their post-reunion run has been really good! None of the albums are Powerslave or Somewhere In Time levels of incredible, and the last couple have real bad production issues at points, but it's a much better run than their '90s one.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Bruce's solo run was better in the 90s than Maiden's, with Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, and Tyranny of Souls.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dimebags Brain posted:

Bruce's solo run was better in the 90s than Maiden's, with Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, and Tyranny of Souls.

Chemical Wedding is stupid good.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

IUG posted:

I have a coworker who insisted that I not bother with anything after Seventh Son. I haven’t really checked into why that was his stopping point, but also haven’t checked out whatever album was #8 or later.

Coworker is a dummy because Fear of the Dark, Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death are all great.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

IUG posted:

I never listened to an entire album after Powerslave! :blush: The other stuff I’ve heard just didn’t grab me as much but some day I’ll go on a major binge. I lump it all in as being too sprawlingly proggy for me but I know that’s too simplistic.

Maybe that’ll be a summer music assignment for myself, listen to the rest of their discography in order

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Brave New World probably has my favorite first half of any Maiden album, but...yeah it dives after that.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

"A brave new world, in a brave new world" - ironed maiden

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Dimebags Brain posted:

Can be argued thats one of metals strongest 3 album run ever

I will not take any questions about this hot take

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Seeing nekrogoblikon tomorrow :toot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

stab posted:

Can be argued thats one of metals strongest 3 album run ever

I will not take any questions about this hot take

I don’t have a question, I have a statement: you’re right.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Arivia posted:

Chemical Wedding is stupid good.

It is, and it gets bonus William Blake points.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I have never listened to a Iron Maiden album all the way through

Maybe I should change this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm doing a full Maiden run thru right now, I've listened to everything through Powerslave a million times but less so everything after. Somewhere in Time is pretty sick but Seventh Son is a bit too wizard hat for me.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I've always thought that Brave New World sounds weirdly flat, tinny, hollow, I don't know how to describe it exactly but something about the production is just off. Which is strange because it's the only one of the Shirley-produced albums that sounds that way, and I have never found anyone who agrees, but BNW is the only post-reunion album that falls flat for me. That said, to my mind the next three are at least as good as any three from the classic era, and AMOLAD is usually my favorite Maiden album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I've always thought that Brave New World sounds weirdly flat, tinny, hollow, I don't know how to describe it exactly but something about the production is just off. Which is strange because it's the only one of the Shirley-produced albums that sounds that way, and I have never found anyone who agrees, but BNW is the only post-reunion album that falls flat for me. That said, to my mind the next three are at least as good as any three from the classic era, and AMOLAD is usually my favorite Maiden album.
I liked the original master except for the bass drum sounding like a very large tom. The 2015 remaster, though, is a shitshow where all the drums are mixed way too loud, the top end of the bass steps on every other instrument, Bruce is boxed into a tiny frequency range, and the final mix compressor trips every time he sings a plosive. It should never have been made, but somewhere along the way, someone decided BNW was supposed to sound like a Jens Bogren album

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well in unrelated news my mom just sent me a brief video clip of my 15yo nephew (her grandson) playing in a band with his buddies at the local afterschool culture show thingy and they were loving well doing For Whom the Bell Tolls. Makes me proud. The kids are all right.