Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

sounds like something fart simpson would say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

beans quinoa and steel cut oats all work in the rice cooker, anything else I used the instant pot for can be done in a dutch oven just as easily

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

b0red posted:

wait till you make a cake with it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

The Fool posted:

beans quinoa and steel cut oats all work in the rice cooker, anything else I used the instant pot for can be done in a dutch oven just as easily

its nice for making stock cause i can just load it up and put it on slow cook for 6 hours and i dont have to sit around and worry about whether the gas goes out or if its too high or have it boil over or whatever but overall i regret buying it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Instant pots are very nice if you want to cook beans, make soup/stew, etc. quickly

You can always cook the same stuff longer though

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

stop me if you've heard this one before: small company makes hit product, achieves wild levels of success then several years later flails around directionless trying to find another hit

gee, I wonder what happ-

instant pot is great for putting weed in stuff. butter. honey. olive oil.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we've had an instant pot for years and i've never used it. the only thing i'd use it for is chili verde, but i haven't made that since we lived in santa barbara

oh also slow cooker pork shoulder but i have a smoker now so

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
at first you think “hey this is great making weed brownies used to smell up the whole block and i have a ton of weed in there and cant smell a thing”

then the timer finishes and the steam valve pops open starts spewing the most weed smelling weed steam in the world all over your kitchen. like a shower fart* but made of weed.

*the longest lingering fart.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

at first you think “hey this is great making weed brownies used to smell up the whole block and i have a ton of weed in there and cant smell a thing”

then the timer finishes and the steam valve pops open starts spewing the most weed smelling weed steam in the world all over your kitchen. like a shower fart* but made of weed.

*the longest lingering fart.

them some scruffy potatoes

this is why you make cannabutter

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

like a shower fart* but made of weed.

my laugh went full Dick Kickem trying to read that

i have a headache from laughing

good words doing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

we use our instant pot a lot for things like pulled chicken/pork, soups, and other slow cooker things. pressure cooking is nice too but we don't use that part as much

anyways it sucks that a company can't just make a good product and just keep doing that. great system we've got.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Elder Postsman posted:

anyways it sucks that a company can't just make a good product and just keep doing that. great system we've got.

endless maximization do be kinda

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

maybe, maybe not, but i wouldn't take fart simpson's word for it

im definitely not at least one of those 3 things

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

b0red posted:

this

but documentation

ah it's every readme.md in all of my jobs repos

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Vegastar posted:

that’s how they got their current official app - bought the single most popular third party app and immediately ruined the gently caress out of it and poo poo all over it. this was like, 7ish years ago and it’s only gotten shittier over time as I hear it.

late to the reply but ooooof

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i never took you for a protectionist

is this about condoms

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh my god don't start that discussion again just to make that joke

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

needs better cable management; otherwise seems fine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i mean i get what they're saying (lol no furniture) but, so what

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean i get what they're saying (lol no furniture) but, so what

no furniture and no art or anything on the walls. an entire apartment with a singular focus, the tv, and nothing else

presumably they're suggesting that's not indicative of a healthy enriched mind, but then again they posted on twitter, so who are they to throw stones?

mystes
May 31, 2006

it just shows that they're a person of focus

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
that enclosure needs more enrichment opportunities

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

no furniture and no art or anything on the walls. an entire apartment with a singular focus, the tv, and nothing else

presumably they're suggesting that's not indicative of a healthy enriched mind, but then again they posted on twitter, so who are they to throw stones?

they could also possibly just not want a lot of stuff, or they don't spend much time in the room because they don't watch tv often, or they just moved, or they move a lot because rents keep going up or...

idk it seems like a dumb assumption to me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yes, the point is that it looks like a room that is not very lived-in

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Beeftweeter posted:

why did they cancel $100 million in orders? seems like they needed roughly... $100 million

reminds me of when funko buried $30M of pops in a landfill

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

idk it seems like a dumb assumption to me

take it up with kat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Instant pots are whatever to me. They're not allowed in the house here, but if you like it for making beans or w/e, sure, go for it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
defector has an article up about the current redditpocalyspe and the final paragraph nicely summarized a lot of what this thread has talked about over the last dozen pages

quote:

We are living through the end of the useful internet. The future is informed discussion behind locked doors, in Discords and private fora, with the public-facing web increasingly filled with detritus generated by LLMs, bearing only a stylistic resemblance to useful information. Finding unbiased and independent product reviews, expert tech support, and all manner of helpful advice will now resemble the process by which one now searches for illegal sports streams or pirated journal articles. The decades of real human conversation hosted at places like Reddit will prove useful training material for the mindless bots and deceptive marketers that replace it.
https://defector.com/the-last-page-of-the-internet

also all the people who were gaga for instant pot five years ago are now gaga for air fryers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s really astonishing how bad google results are for anything medical

I mean, google results are bad in general but instead of getting a bunch of referral product pages that are shaped like reviews with random text you get 20 results that have identical text

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FMguru posted:

also all the people who were gaga for instant pot five years ago are now gaga for air fryers

lmao yuuuup

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

tbf air fryers rule

of course, by air fryer I mean “convection oven”

and by convection oven I specifically mean the tabletop variety that are also microwaves

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

air fryers seem kinda neat, but most of the really compelling applications center around cooking meat, and i just don't buy meat very often anymore

my last major kitchen purchase was a pair of nice cast-iron pans that can nest together as a dutch oven, and they transformed how i cook loads of stuff

cast iron pans own

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Internet Janitor posted:

cast iron pans own

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Internet Janitor posted:

air fryers seem kinda neat, but most of the really compelling applications center around cooking meat, and i just don't buy meat very often anymore

???

no, the compelling applications are reheating fried leftovers and frozen food like french fries & fried chicken

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
you can make a web forum that covers its own costs and you can even perhaps make a web forum that makes you a modest stream of income, but the problem is that these fucks want to investor storytime themselves a private jet and a dozen holiday villas and a never have to work again a day in your life and gently caress whatever I have to burn down along the way to get there, not just for web forums but for any potentially useful thing that somehow involves cloud servers and shartphones. they're not interested in a modest business that only makes a few million a year and all the oxygen gets sucked out of the room for people who are.

maybe eventually people will eventually figure out that the enshittificaton is the entire point instead of all piling into this awesome free thing that some techbro gently caress face gang is like totally doing out of the goodness of their heart or whatever.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i was gonna make a similar post but you said it better. it's like, gently caress, you can do it the old way and even still get rich. you just won't be a billionaire

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the end of geocities and ISP tilde-username hosting really fundamentally changed how the internet worked.

Just simple, free webhosting for everyone would change a lot.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ask me about my 8-point plan to get the post office to provide basic web hosting, email service, masto instances for every congressional district, and other simple, vital IT infra to every american.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
are you saying you want to post via the post?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i would gladly pay more to usps if they could provide comparable service to my current isp

let's reintroduce postal banking while we're at it and obliterate the predatory check-cashing industry overnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I think its important the the us govt acknowledge that the internet is the new post and that the post office should be in charge of, if i may abuse a suffix for a moment, these neo-postal services.