Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Broken Machine posted:

they did the classic vulture capital move, and took out a $450m loan against their equity. they then paid themselves ~$250 mil of that. it's the same thing bain capital did with dunkin donuts; if you go there, they're skimming about 15% off the top, something absurd like that. with instant pot, after they did that market conditions tightened and that debt became unmanageable. all so they could get paid more, faster

wh

FMguru posted:

this is completely different from a mob "bust-out" operation because, um, reasons [smoke bomb, sound of running feet]

yeah this is some 1920s pre-crash poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lmao the us economy is absolutely gonna crash

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they also slapped the label on a bunch of non-pressure cooker products as well

https://www.instanthome.com/product/instant-appliances/air-purifier-small-charcoal

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PIZZA.BAT posted:

how the hell are these companies still receiving these bonkers loans? when the practice first came about i can maybe understand getting burnt by it but my assumption is that any financial institution capable of issuing a half billion dollar loan is also capable of due diligence to the degree of ‘these guys were just bought by vulture capitalists maybe we shouldn’t extend this’

genuine question. who the hell was the underwriter here?

the bankers and the pe folks golf together

also the loan is structured so that in a bankruptcy, the bank gets as much as possible back, and everyone else extending credit (e.g. suppliers giving you materials on net-30 terms) are the ones that get screwed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

how the hell are these companies still receiving these bonkers loans? when the practice first came about i can maybe understand getting burnt by it but my assumption is that any financial institution capable of issuing a half billion dollar loan is also capable of due diligence to the degree of ‘these guys were just bought by vulture capitalists maybe we shouldn’t extend this’

i remember you like mark blythe. have you ever heard of michael hudson? he might be up your alley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWT0uvBLDbo

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 14, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a long firm

you could do a lot bigger long firms in zero interest days cuz zero interest

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
today in things that will almost certainly not happen but entertaining the idea is extremely funny: the EU is considering breaking up Google Ads

quote:

According to Vestager, an EC investigation launched in 2021 found that Google may have favored its own ad tech services when serving as an intermediary ad exchange, matching advertiser supply and publisher demand for advertising space online.

To the EC, it seems like Google has its hand in too many pots to be trusted to conduct business fairly. Google operates an ad exchange, AdX, as well as ad tech services for advertisers—Google Ads and Google Display & Video 360 (DV 360)—and services for publishers, DoubleClick For Publishers (DFP).

Vestager said there's potential for misconduct because "Google may hold a dominant position on both ends of the ad tech supply chain" and "appears to have abused its market position" by ensuring that both advertising and publisher services allegedly favored AdX over other ad exchanges when matching advertisers and publishers.

By allegedly favoring AdX, Vestager said that Google was able to charge "a high fee for its 'exchange' services."

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jabor posted:

the bankers and the pe folks golf together

also the loan is structured so that in a bankruptcy, the bank gets as much as possible back, and everyone else extending credit (e.g. suppliers giving you materials on net-30 terms) are the ones that get screwed

also the banks don’t hold the debt they bundle it up and sell it across lots of customers so it doesn’t haircut you too much or impact your rating for future debt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

haveblue posted:

today in things that will almost certainly not happen but entertaining the idea is extremely funny: the EU is considering breaking up Google Ads

i hope it doesn't and google makes ads completely unaffordable

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Coco13 posted:

I would love to know how they're selecting a bunch of new mods for a bunch of giant subreddits quickly, because all the options I'm coming up with end in a disaster but some disasters happen after the C-suite cashes out.
lots of subs have mods who don't support the boycott and are trying to get admins to hand the subs over to them to open it back up

adds plausible deniability too, and they've already been trying to astro turf it as the mods don't agree & aren't polling their users & are power hungry freaks gone rogue

They already did this for one sub by giving it to a mod who hadn't posted in over a year but showed up to take it over.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 14, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
reddit experiences "the troubles"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
rexit when

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Khorne posted:

lots of subs have mods who don't support the boycott and are trying to get admins to hand the subs over to them to open it back up

adds plausible deniability too, and they've already been trying to astro turf it as the mods don't agree & aren't polling their users & are power hungry freaks gone rogue

They already did this for one sub by giving it to a mod who hadn't posted in over a year but showed up to take it over.

good time for me to make a power play to take over /r/celebfeet :thunk:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just discovered that "enshittification" was coined by cory doctorow

i'm not sure how i feel about that

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 14, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i just discovered that "enshittification" was coined by cory doctorow

i'm not sure how i feel about that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he's obnoxious, but he's not wrong

the guy still writes like he's doing a featured article in WIRED in 1998, but the overview of the process of destroying the internet is accurate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i always read his name as dr cornrow

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that's clearly a picture of frankie muniz, you can't trick me

mystes
May 31, 2006

doctor owo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the loans are actually convertible bonds that in default give them control of the company. the bank typically values the company either for scrap or operating post default. however, banks just immediately sell the bonds to suckersinvestors who carry the actual risk of default.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the guy still writes like he's doing a featured article in WIRED in 1998, but the overview of the process of destroying the internet is accurate

he promised me adhoc WiFi peer-to-peer music sharing between moving cars on the freeway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again

we really wish you'd stop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

he promised me adhoc WiFi peer-to-peer music sharing between moving cars on the freeway

he's a futurist, so needless to say, he's wrong, a lot, about the future.

the present though, he appears to have a fairly clear view of

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pretty sure I first read that post when it was carried by wired, lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would take 1998 wired over a medium post

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

1998 wired was fine. we got some great stuff out of wired in the 90s.

it was also 25 years ago

this is from 1996 and a great article that manages to encapsulate the style, for reasons you'll discover if you look at the byline

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 14, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, word?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

quote:

Citing data from analytics firm YipitData, WSJ reported that ChatGPT "has nearly double the average number of daily search sessions as Bing search does."

:allears:

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

On the topic of Instant Pot and Pyrex, when Corning sold Pyrex they then went whole hog into fiber optics and ended up flooding the loving market and having to scale way the gently caress back. A buddy's dad got laid off there years ago and was one of like two people who knew how their old computer poo poo storm functioned. No idea what ultimately came of that. All I know is that he barely touches a computer these days and just gardens.

I do drive past an unfinished fiber optic manufacturing tower every week that has been that way for like two decades now.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
i got the funemployment axe today

4 months severance and 3 months paid COBRA and accelerated vesting (lol it's worth $0, i cashed all the good stuff out at the IPO)

my whole business unit is gone including my boss and his boss. people inside tell me they're becoming another boring "bank-lite" financials and data company but for restaurants.

4 years and a good attitude and work got me a lot of friends who were pretty upset and surprised i'm gone. i feel like i died in a way?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
4 months is loving insane. sorry to hear you got the chop but you seem like a sharp cookie, you'll get somethin lined up.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

cheese eats mouse posted:

4 months severance and 3 months paid COBRA

p deece imo, try to have some fun between jobs if possible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

4 months is loving insane. sorry to hear you got the chop but you seem like a sharp cookie, you'll get somethin lined up.

i got 4/5ths of one month lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i got the funemployment axe today

4 months severance and 3 months paid COBRA and accelerated vesting (lol it's worth $0, i cashed all the good stuff out at the IPO)

my whole business unit is gone including my boss and his boss. people inside tell me they're becoming another boring "bank-lite" financials and data company but for restaurants.

4 years and a good attitude and work got me a lot of friends who were pretty upset and surprised i'm gone. i feel like i died in a way?

condolences. 4 months is pretty good tho. hope you can enjoy a month before digging back in to :yotj:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if i get laid off im contractually obligated to get 12 months severance

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
goondolences

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

rotor posted:

p deece imo, try to have some fun between jobs if possible

my partner is pushing me to work on my pottery and apply for a residency, travel to some national parks and just enjoy a few months. oregon summers are the best so imma enjoy the vacation. I was planning on leaving so I still have a healthy emergency fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my partner is pushing me to work on my pottery and apply for a residency, travel to some national parks and just enjoy a few months. oregon summers are the best so imma enjoy the vacation. I was planning on leaving so I still have a healthy emergency fund

you sound well prepared, enjoy

also hi fellow portlander