Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its compounded like a percentage of total assets under management, so it could be not a big deal or it could be like half a million bucks total over your lifetime, depending on aum held with them. if you're getting steered to dog poo poo stuff it could be the literal totality of your retirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you wanna be looking at this table

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/How_much_do_you_lose_to_annual_fees_after_many_years%3F

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its compounded like a percentage of total assets under management, so it could be not a big deal or it could be like half a million bucks total over your lifetime, depending on aum held with them. if you're getting steered to dog poo poo stuff it could be the literal totality of your retirement

Yeah I’m aware of that of course, this guy built trust with us by putting our shorter term liquid investments (intended to be used for the purchase of a home in 2024) in an account that doesn’t charge those management fees since he isn’t really touching it

All advisors are going to change something, I’m sure I could min max it with someone that charges less but the important thing to us is that we trust this guy and I have no interest in doing any investing without an advisor

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, just as long as you're aware. it often is like, buy-a-house-in-a-cheaper-place-in-cash money

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

yeah i guess i underestimate the impact of the 08 recession

if you had invested in nasdaq at the height of the first tech bubble, it would have taken you something like 12 years for it to rise back up and earn your nominal money back

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

here u go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
that makes the wild assumption that you, an investor, make similar or better performance than your broker would.

taking this example,

quote:

Now take the same $10,000 and hold it for 30 years at 6 percent return. With no fees, you would have $57,434.91. With a two percent annual fee, you would accumulate $31,329.84, a 45.45 percent reduction. So the two percent annual fee cut your total return almost in half!

if edward jones gets you an 8% return and you can only do 6%, you get 55k, as well as not having the time sync and stress of keeping up with it for 30 years.

vanguard makes this less black and white since they basically do the best of both worlds though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
on average, edward jones gets inferior returns

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

on average, edward jones gets inferior returns

than someone who will do no research and doesn't understand what a money market is? doubtful

i would just throw money at a vanguard retirement fund and call it a day but if they're happy and getting good returns for a lowish fee its probably fine :shrug:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

financial advisors have to eat too you know

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ADINSX posted:

I know the big box money markets have better prices but I try and get it at the local stores when possible

stopping by at johnny pierpont's when you want fast casual

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mr. Crow posted:

than someone who will do no research and doesn't understand what a money market is? doubtful

i would just throw money at a vanguard retirement fund and call it a day but if they're happy and getting good returns for a lowish fee its probably fine :shrug:

we dont have numbers. i bet it's actually the edward jones usual, which is 1.35% to 2%, which is about 5 to 10 times what you could credibly call "low-fee" without laughing your rear end off

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

that makes the wild assumption that you, an investor, make similar or better performance than your broker would.

taking this example,

if edward jones gets you an 8% return and you can only do 6%, you get 55k, as well as not having the time sync and stress of keeping up with it for 30 years.

vanguard makes this less black and white since they basically do the best of both worlds though

Plus a lot of numbers get big over 40 years. If I spent 3 dollars on coffee a day and stopped that, that'd be something like 40k.

The trust aspect is the more important part to us. Obviously if we find that trust was misplaced we'd leave.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

you put your trust in a swindler and have been taken to the cleaners. you are putty in that man's hands

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

ok better ask reddit then, thanks y'all

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ADINSX posted:

ok better ask reddit then, thanks y'all

be sure to mention edward jones, because you won't get away from the (justified) hate by going to reddit about it

for example:

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/rz51si/serious_why_the_hatedistrust_for_edward_jones/

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

that was a joke I'm not actually going to do anything

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh i thought they meant they're going to put all their chips on whatever is on top of wallstreetbets

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

does wallstreetbets have an etf?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol I thought you were serious too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.roundhillinvestments.com/etf/meme/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ADINSX posted:

Plus a lot of numbers get big over 40 years. If I spent 3 dollars on coffee a day and stopped that, that'd be something like 40k.

The trust aspect is the more important part to us. Obviously if we find that trust was misplaced we'd leave.

you saved $40k by cutting back on coffee?! how much coffee do you drink

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

be sure to mention edward jones, because you won't get away from the (justified) hate by going to reddit about it

for example:

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/rz51si/serious_why_the_hatedistrust_for_edward_jones/

i like this idiot best

quote:

[–]Whaleflop229​ 3 points 1 year ago
Edward Jones isn't taking fees for nothing. You're only looking at half the equation.

Why would I pay $5 to deliver a package, when I could walk it across town for free? Because doing it right takes time, effort, knowledge, etc.

How do you know you're capturing your full tax advantages? How do you prepare to buy a house? How do you ensure you're minimizing your inheritance tax? How do you make decisions when markets are choppy while you're tempted to make bad decisions?

The truth is, most clients are consistently happy, because most clients see value, not just fees. If you only look at fees, a tesla is just a crappy bicycle.

using "tesla" as the go-to fancy car says so much in just one word :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also dear god, what will i do about inheritance tax??

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

fart simpson posted:

you saved $40k by cutting back on coffee?! how much coffee do you drink

that's nothing, let me tell you about my avocado toast habit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

i like this idiot best

using "tesla" as the go-to fancy car says so much in just one word :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DRCGcuByQc

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol nice graph there with the reverse split

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that same guy is all over the other reply threads being all "people just like them because they have such great services!!!" and pasting the same exact link saying totally legitimate and unbiased polling group JD Power says they're number one with customers

i wonder if that's like, edward jones himself

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

for example:

tbf i don't pay attention enough to know EJ is hated and if you're paying over 1% in fees i would take everyones advice and look elsewhere, was giving benefit of the doubt since they seemed chummy with the advisor but you really cant go wrong with vanguard

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

no, it’s me

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

drat time for me to buy the dip.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyway the one like, important thing i think to take away from that reddit thread is summed up by this dude:

quote:

[–]betterbudgeting​ 4 points 1 year ago
Edward Jones are not fiduciaries. They have no obligation to act in your best interest.

if you want an actual financial advisor you really should get one that specifically says they're a fiduciary, because otherwise they aren't working for you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ill give financial advice for free:

buy s&p 500 etfs at 2x leverage (just buy the sso etf) and rebalance quarterly into something more sane. your welcome

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is that the official recommendation from chairman xi or are you going wildcat here

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

tbf i don't pay attention enough to know EJ is hated and if you're paying over 1% in fees i would take everyones advice and look elsewhere, was giving benefit of the doubt since they seemed chummy with the advisor but you really cant go wrong with vanguard

We’re effectively paying less than 1% since most of our money is in an account without fees but message received, I’ll look into this more but having a person for us to talk to is important, if vanguard offers that then maybe after we buy that home in 2024 we can look into it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

is that the official recommendation from chairman xi or are you going wildcat here

ive proposed it to him as the official line but im waiting to hear back.

its riding the wave on the way up while stashing enough under the mattress along the way that your good when it crashes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah its legit good guidance fr

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i clicked around the meme etf site and found this one that i am going to invest in immediately

https://www.roundhillinvestments.com/etf/metv/

i mean how can i miss out on these great numbers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

i clicked around the meme etf site and found this one that i am going to invest in immediately

https://www.roundhillinvestments.com/etf/metv/

i mean how can i miss out on these great numbers

u ever seen the 3x tesla etn? idk if thats still around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

also dear god, what will i do about inheritance tax??

that’s something completely separate too. and estate planning, specifically in the context of Medicaid, is actually extremely important but you need a real local attorney involved