Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

mmos that old must have a relatively low operating cost, which is what i figure keeps star trek online around

it's the oldies and the big money hustlas that keep old MMOs alive, same as SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

everquest still gets expansions lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

the AI singularity happens, normal people are uplifted to godlike status, and the superstructure is just SA Goon Culture Minds saying "I'm gay" at each other

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
im gay

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

roko's basilisk and the mandella effect, but this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRS9K4rZ8Y

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's the oldies and the big money hustlas that keep old MMOs alive, same as SA

that tracks

quiggy posted:

lol. there's something kind of neat about that. gw1 is still around and receive a small patch and modernization fix from a bored dev, but it isn't a living world per se

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the AI singularity happens, normal people are uplifted to godlike status, and the superstructure is just SA Goon Culture Minds saying "I'm gay" at each other

i mean this would be the best outcome, right?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

the guy was making a sequel to this, but when your plans for a sequel start with "i'll write my own programming language", welp

the dude who was writing incursion did the same thing, iirc

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Agile Vector posted:

lol. there's something kind of neat about that. gw1 is still around and receive a small patch and modernization fix from a bored dev, but it isn't a living world per se

meanwhile all I want is a humble life making a modern equivalent of might and magic but nooo capitalism says gently caress you

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
heroes of might and magic, or dungeon crawling, wizardry-style might and magic

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the latter (as much as I love the former)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

what about heroes and might and magic dark messiah where the boot was your greatest weapon

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

meanwhile all I want is a humble life making a modern equivalent of might and magic but nooo capitalism says gently caress you

I will playtest your poo poo for free if you put my username in the credits

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I have actual free time and that is not a request for clout or whatever

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dark messiah is good but I never got super into it

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I will playtest your poo poo for free if you put my username in the credits

duh the universe in which I find the executive function to do this is also the universe in which i honor the yosposters who got me there

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quiggy posted:

the latter (as much as I love the former)

nice. i love a good wizardrylike

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

duh the universe in which I find the executive function to do this is also the universe in which i honor the yosposters who got me there

pursue your dream and I will do testing for free if you ever need that poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kYTe25h-bU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

man I'd love a modern might and magic that I also would have the stamina to play

every few years I try to play a grid-based RPG and just tap out after a session

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

man I'd love a modern might and magic

actually a persona-esque M&M spinoff set in the present day called "Modern Might and Magic" would, I would guess, fuckin whip

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
oh speaking of, demise is gettin a new expansion p soon. it's not technically a wizardrylike, tho; it's based on avatar, which is the game wizardry was based on. anyway if you like old school dungeon crawling you can't get much more old school than that

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

this isn't happening either way, ya girl has executive function issues and also capitalism refuses to let me take a few years to work on a thing without my wife and i starving on the street, so,

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm on disability so I can't get proper income, but I have free time so if anyone needs a tester for free I'm down

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if I could be independent of a regular income it might happen but lomarf

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

if I could be independent of a regular income it might happen but lomarf

if you ever need someone to test for free, or voice acting with a smokers voice hit me up. lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kYTe25h-bU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

so I fell down a "modern version of classic RPG style" rabbit hole and I did find some folks who are working on a Betrayal at Kondor-inspired thing :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cQAo7UI-c

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm not joking, I'll do that poo poo GPL style if any indie game needs it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dijkstracula posted:

so I fell down a "modern version of classic RPG style" rabbit hole and I did find some folks who are working on a Betrayal at Kondor-inspired thing :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cQAo7UI-c

this whips

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

quiggy posted:

this whips

literally wooted when I saw the FMV characters placed in the game world

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Armitag3 posted:

what about heroes and might and magic dark messiah where the boot was your greatest weapon

this game was the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1GLZILJc24

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

further evidence that arkane is the best developer out there

matti
Mar 31, 2019

by Arkane, natch

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i've been trying to get into death of the outsider but i think my problem is i have to just let go and stop trying to play perfect stealth/deadly. medium-to-loud/deadly just seems like it's more fun with this powerset (not super into the powerset)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i did find the bonecharms that let you high-jump and instablink so at least that's an improvement.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

been killing lots of clanners and blakists and stealing their poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ha ha! now i have a stormcrow

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Agile Vector posted:

mmos that old must have a relatively low operating cost, which is what i figure keeps star trek online around

that and gw2 went through the effort of modernizing the engine and codebase

Tons of old korean mmos are still around too, I think they all still have pretty big bases in Korea.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

that lineage is still going is pretty hard to believe

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Agile Vector posted:

for me it was the FF7 pc release and it had several game-breaking, stopping bugs lol

it's too drat easy to wander in that game then start events and dailies and suddenly, yeah, 5 hours are gone
this is me and Satisfactory. the time just slips away until i get a hunger headache or hear an alarm or something

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr: