Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

Just got a Keychron K8 Pro with browns that I am absolutely in love with! What you get for the price is astounding compared to big brand stuff, and it just sounds so deliciously thocky mmmm

Anyway, I really like the shine-through keycaps it has but then I saw this beautiful set https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004613521387.html

Does anyone know if these are available in ISO layout? I have looked on aliexpress but couldn't find any. :-(

Also, do keycap sets from AE tend to be decent quality-wise? There is a LOT of them on there for next to nothing.

domikey obsidian is a similar-ish white-on-translucent-black set, made with a higher quality process (doubleshot instead of printed) and with UK-ISO support

it looks like this when lit up

caveat: it's on the higher end of the market so it may be more expensive than you were looking to spend

https://domikey.com/products/obsidian-cherry-profile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
The sets on AE are fine and pretty much WYSIWYG--some of the cheaper ones might have slightly misaligned legends or something, if you're especially persnickety about that, but you should be able to tell that from the photos beforehand. It's also worth poking around on Amazon if you see something you like, 'cause sometimes they'll have the exact same ones on there for the same price or cheaper, except with Prime shipping and returns in case you realize it doesn't match your board layout or whatever.

Also worth noting that paying more for caps is no guarantee of quality. You can find plenty of angry people online who waited 2+ years for a $stupid GMK set that came with a banana-shaped spacebar, lol

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why is via so limited with 15 macros?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have ali caps on my KB and the legend is not perfect, but it's close enough. That said, I'm willing to overlook the OPtiON keys, you might not be.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I got a dilemma: in September I got myself a Moonlander and switched to Colemak. I'm pretty comfortable with it now and the setup I've made for it.

Lately I've gone back playing more video games, especially indie ones from itch.io where remapping isn't an option. I got a QWERTY layer but if the game asks me to press the B key, for example, I'm completely lost, as mapping QWERTY to an ortholinear split layout in my head is just impossible.

Long story short, I'm considering dropping Colemak and just using QWERTY on the Moonlander. Has anyone ever done the same thing? Is QWERTY that awful to use on a split keyboard? The friction I'm experiencing now in games is making me consider to move back a regular keyboard, and I love my Moonlander.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Lifroc posted:

Long story short, I'm considering dropping Colemak and just using QWERTY on the Moonlander.
Wouldn't you still have the problem of B being on the wrong side (assuming you brought it up because you do right-hand B normally)? If you're commited to split/ergo/colemak then one solution would be to have a separate 60% layout qwerty keyboard just for games.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 23, 2023

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Llamadeus posted:

Wouldn't you still have the problem of B being on the wrong side (assuming you brought it up because you do right-hand B normally)? If you're commited to split/ergo/colemak then one solution would be to have a separate 60% layout qwerty keyboard just for games.

I don't know if I'm committed to Colemak. Sure it's comfortable, I'm decent with it, but I don't write novels on my PC, and I managed to use QWERTY for 20+ years with no issue.

I like the split layout though, as someone with large shoulders. Feels more natural.

I'm just wondering if muscle memory for QWERTY and compatibility is more important than going for layout comfort that's annoying when I'm gaming. Which is made worse in games where there's a chat component, as I have to constantly switch from Colemak to QWERTY and back every time I want to write something

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I've been trying out Keychron V8 for the past week and my main impression is that the Alice/Arisu layout is a flawed idea. If you are willing to deviate that far from a standard layout, then you should have gone all the way to orthogonal/linear. Although my judgement may be affected because I have gotten used to my orthogonal ErgoDox EZ.

I feel that the bottom row is too far inboard and the keys are hard to reach, the SZX triad being the worst example. By using my custom layout with the right B as an Ins key the right side works pretty well
as a slanted orthogonal, but there is saving the left side. A smaller issue I noticed immeaditely was that the "bend" is too shallow for my taste, I would need to bring my elbows too close to my body.

I was surprised how difficult the initial adjustment to the Alice was. Most of the time I use the ErgoDox with a custom layout with no resemblance to QWERTY, Dvorak or Colemak, but once a week I goto the office and use a mechanical keyboard with standard QWERTY and I can switch to it without much issue. But when I initially used the Keychron with the QWERTY I was completely lost where the keys were supposed to be. It's like my brain assumed it should have my custom layout because of the wrist angle. After I customized the layout on the Keychron it became much easier.

My original idea was that the Keychron could work as cheaper ergonomic compromise I could use at work, and at least I wouldn't have to carry two halves to my hot desk. But maybe I am too spoilt by orthogonal at this point. Unfortunately the selection is a bit limited and all of them have some features I wish were slightly different. Do I see designing a custom PCBs in my future :emo:

While thinking about this post I came up with a possible way to measure a personalized key arrangement. A cell phone under both hands with an app that records what spot you tap, and telling you to tap different keys at increasing speed. The recorded tapping spots averaged out could tell what would be the most natural arrangement for you.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Lifroc posted:

Long story short, I'm considering dropping Colemak and just using QWERTY on the Moonlander. Has anyone ever done the same thing? Is QWERTY that awful to use on a split keyboard? The friction I'm experiencing now in games is making me consider to move back a regular keyboard, and I love my Moonlander.

Now that I think about it, your issue seems to resemble mine with the Keychron and QWERTY. You probably don't need to give up on Colemak, but you could temporarily switch to QWERTY while avoid using a standard layout keyboards. With the increased use while typing your brain will hopefully recalibrate to the new position of the QWERTY keys. If your gaming performance improves you can try switching back to Colemak.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for everyone's recommendations.

Anyone heard about HelloGanss keyboards? They have some nice-looking ones (not the one posted below) but I've never heard of them.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Looks like a GMMK Pro knockoff.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

Thanks for everyone's recommendations.

Anyone heard about HelloGanss keyboards? They have some nice-looking ones (not the one posted below) but I've never heard of them.

Don't know about that board specifically, but there are a bunch of budget keyboards like the James Donkey (not making that up), Langtu, Gamakay, Monsgeek, etc. that are very similar. You'll likely find a whole bunch of different listings for them on AliExpress. They're all OK, but you get what you pay for.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gearman posted:

Don't know about that board specifically, but there are a bunch of budget keyboards like the James Donkey (not making that up), Langtu, Gamakay, Monsgeek, etc. that are very similar. You'll likely find a whole bunch of different listings for them on AliExpress. They're all OK, but you get what you pay for.

I actually have a couple of old james donkey mice from a few years back. They're fine for being a bit gaudy, kind of had an iron man look which was popular at the time. I mostly got them because they were $5-10 and the branding was funny. They seem to design their own stuff, even if it has similar aesthetics to other brands. They're definitely made to a price point but not quite as sketchy as random brands on amazon since it's a company doing its own designs and making cheap mice. Can't vouch for anything beyond that, though, these didn't have any software and were wired and it's hard to gently caress up something that basic.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ended up grabbing a Royal Kludge RK96, the bluetooth works flawlessly with my work laptop but been a tad iffy with my pc, but overall solid for the price imo got it on sale $75

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Today my 20 year old Logitech MX300 mouse died so I replaced it with something from this decade, a MX Master 3S. $100 on a mouse felt a bit ehh but if I can get another 20 years out of it, sure.

Anyways, for mechanical keyboard folks, how is the MX Mechanical (Mini)? My primary keyboard is a Model M that I'm plenty happy with, but I've been thinking of supplementing it with a modern mechanical for portable/testing use.

A few years back I looked at a WASD with Cherry MX greens (I bought a key tester and liked the greens the best), but I like the idea of the Logitech now since I can share the Bolt dongle with the MX Master (I use the dongle to frequently switch between test machines while using Bluetooth on my primary desktop).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lifroc posted:

I use qwerty on a moonlander, works fine. I've considered switching to colmak lots of times to have a more comfortable typing experience, but I always end up stopping myself because relearning or rebinding every hotkey for every game, OS, and operating system just sounds like the worst headache in the world.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Today my 20 year old Logitech MX300 mouse died so I replaced it with something from this decade, a MX Master 3S. $100 on a mouse felt a bit ehh but if I can get another 20 years out of it, sure.

Anyways, for mechanical keyboard folks, how is the MX Mechanical (Mini)? My primary keyboard is a Model M that I'm plenty happy with, but I've been thinking of supplementing it with a modern mechanical for portable/testing use.

A few years back I looked at a WASD with Cherry MX greens (I bought a key tester and liked the greens the best), but I like the idea of the Logitech now since I can share the Bolt dongle with the MX Master (I use the dongle to frequently switch between test machines while using Bluetooth on my primary desktop).

I have an MX Master 3 mouse and it is A+. I have gifted/recommended it to multiple friends and they all love it, so I think it's a good purchase!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Agree, MX Master 3 is full aces. Note that the standard version only works on the Bolt dongle. The MX Master 3 Mac is the same device in your hand, but works over Bluetooth. It'll connect to the same Bolt, but doesn't include one. The Mac version works perfectly fine with Windows, too. It only really matters whether you have enough ports for a dongle.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
They should make a mx master 3 mini. Its so obscenely large and the mx anywhere is a bit too small. I want a goldilocks size.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

repiv posted:

domikey obsidian is a similar-ish white-on-translucent-black set, made with a higher quality process (doubleshot instead of printed) and with UK-ISO support

it looks like this when lit up

caveat: it's on the higher end of the market so it may be more expensive than you were looking to spend

https://domikey.com/products/obsidian-cherry-profile

...bloody hell that looks amazing! Ordered immediately

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Taffer posted:

I use qwerty on a moonlander, works fine. I've considered switching to colmak lots of times to have a more comfortable typing experience, but I always end up stopping myself because relearning or rebinding every hotkey for every game, OS, and operating system just sounds like the worst headache in the world.

I have a separate QWERTY layer on my ErgoDox for gaming.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Note that the standard version only works on the Bolt dongle.
I have the standard version and it works fine over Bluetooth. Now, maybe it doesn't on a Mac, hence the "for Mac" version?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I have to go in-office a few days a week and would like to buy a mechanical keyboard for when I'm there. I don't really wanna build one for this and won't be too particular - if anyone has any links to a nice keyboard that features royal blue prominently that would be nice. My job is very place-based and the blue is part of the branding so it's purely for vibes.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
If you just want to buy it and go, the Ducky One 2 Horizon is the first board that comes to mind for that color scheme, although it may be a bit too light/dark depending on your office's color choices.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have the standard version and it works fine over Bluetooth. Now, maybe it doesn't on a Mac, hence the "for Mac" version?

Well what the gently caress. My standard version has a bluetooth logo on the bottom too. Now the only difference I see between the two is whether it has a receiver in the box or not.

I think the MX Master 2 or 1, whichever I replaced with the Master 3 didn't have Bluetooth? Maybe?

Whatever. Get the MX Master 3 or 3S. They're good mice, Brint.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

MX Mechanical (Mini) is probably fine. You'd want the clicky version if you are a model M / cherry green preferrer

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Well what the gently caress. My standard version has a bluetooth logo on the bottom too. Now the only difference I see between the two is whether it has a receiver in the box or not.

I think the MX Master 2 or 1, whichever I replaced with the Master 3 didn't have Bluetooth? Maybe?

Whatever. Get the MX Master 3 or 3S. They're good mice, Brint.

There is no functional difference between the regular and “Mac edition” MX Masters except for colors and the fact that the Mac Edition doesn’t include a dongle in the box. The mice themselves have all the same functions.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Speaking of mac-oriented accessories, could I use an apple magic keyboard on a windows pc? I remember typing on one in an office and thinking they felt pretty nice.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

god please help me posted:

Speaking of mac-oriented accessories, could I use an apple magic keyboard on a windows pc? I remember typing on one in an office and thinking they felt pretty nice.

:mods:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Haram for this thread but if you like chiclets, it’s one of the boards that has chiclets.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

death cob for cutie posted:

If you just want to buy it and go, the Ducky One 2 Horizon is the first board that comes to mind for that color scheme, although it may be a bit too light/dark depending on your office's color choices.

It's a bit dark but it also looks very nice. Gonna snoop around the Ducky site but might land on this :3:

Thank you!

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

god please help me posted:

Yeah theres a driver that’s adequate.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Has anyone come across a lever or wedge to actuate a key switch horizontally?

I'd like to try how it feels like to use the space by pressing down pressing left bending my thumb from the bendy point. My Space is currently the "green shift" but I feel it might be more ergonomic if I could use "up arrow" to the left.

The Moonlander may have the right idea, but I suspect the thumb cluster is too far away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Reassembling topre is such a bitch.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The one time I disassembled my old FC660C to lube the sliders (which totally was not worth it), I flipped the assembly with all the springs and rubber domes and managed to get it to stay in place for reassembly later. But yeah it looks like a total pain to put all the parts back.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

where do yall buy switches these days? i need 12 (plus a few extras probably) kailh choc blues without having my pants pulled down on the price

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Deviant posted:

where do yall buy switches these days? i need 12 (plus a few extras probably) kailh choc blues without having my pants pulled down on the price

If I didn't need them fast I'd order on aliexpress, probably. Delivery is like a month out but you'll pay more going on amazon or ebay or a keyboard shop that's in the US since they already imported them.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805260407528.html choc blue
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804880311789.html choc blue v2

Mechanicalkeyboards has okay pricing but a limited selection and afaik there's shipping on top:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=862

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
Is there any reason I shouldn't be rebuilding my hotswap keyboard every weekend for fun? Do the hotswap sockets really wear out after ~100 uses?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am working on a bit of a side project.

If switches are plate mount, with hot-swap sockets, what is holding the switch in place? Friction between the plate and switch, and the contacts with the hot-swap? There are no fingers or tabs or anything, right?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Switches have little pressure tabs on their sides which clicks them into place when fitted on a plate.