Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one guy said that all he had to do was sanding so i was like ugh, fine, just stay over there in the corner and do not move from your table. had to kick him out anyway bc he kept taking off his shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i always get incredibly paranoid when im high in public, probably because weed is still illegal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you're not tricking me into clicking on your himbo dildo zone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hbag posted:

i always get incredibly paranoid when im high in public, probably because weed is still illegal

also bc everybody around you knows youre stoned

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sagebrush posted:

had to kick him out anyway bc he kept taking off his shoes

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

every semester i have to throw students out of the shop for being obviously blazed to the moon. i'm like i wouldn't even trust you with an xacto knife right now, let alone a loving lathe.

420 lathe it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

hbag posted:

ime it doesn't really change anything

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i once had a job operating a machine that put protective nylon weave on vehicle wiring looms. the guy working the machine next to me came in blazed as gently caress every morning, smoked at morning break, lunch, afternoon break, and all the way home (walking down a 4-lane road with no footpaths). at least once a day i'd hear "errrr heeyyy duuuudddddeee.........." and l'd have to go and cut him free because he's somehow managed to reach into the machine and get his arm or shirt covered in nylon braid

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GWOgg9LzU4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

i once had a job operating a machine that put protective nylon weave on vehicle wiring looms. the guy working the machine next to me came in blazed as gently caress every morning, smoked at morning break, lunch, afternoon break, and all the way home (walking down a 4-lane road with no footpaths). at least once a day i'd hear "errrr heeyyy duuuudddddeee.........." and l'd have to go and cut him free because he's somehow managed to reach into the machine and get his arm or shirt covered in nylon braid

holy fuckin lmao

loom'd again

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Sweevo posted:

lol

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

good on that guy for finding the one industrial machine that won't maim you for sticking your arm in it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah i'm amazed there's any machine that will let you get away with that multiple times lol

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

early in my career i worked at a company that printed business cards. they had some poo poo that would seriously gently caress up your day. pro tip: never wear rubber gloves while cleaning rubber rollers in a machine that moves around cardstock unless you're okay with your hand becoming the thickness of cardstock.

goddamn janitor witnessed the accident and ran across the entire plant to the it office and asked us to call 911 instead of using one of the 10 phones he ran past.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BMan posted:

good on that guy for finding the one industrial machine that won't maim you for sticking your arm in it

the machines were from the 1950s or 60s and dangerous as gently caress (multiple things rotating in different directions at ~2k rpm and very little to stop you sticking fingers where you shouldn't), but the central part the wiring passed through would just cover whatever went through it in very loose weave and it was more annoying to get things caught rather than getting body parts ripped off.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rotor posted:

computer touching would be a lot better if there was some manual labor involved

like if the compiler emits oddly-shaped 50lb blocks that you have to stack correctly as input to the linker

I've enjoyed mucking around with 8 bit micros. But I haven't felt the need to dive into punch cards.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

rotor posted:

computer touching would be a lot better if there was some manual labor involved

like if the compiler emits oddly-shaped 50lb blocks that you have to stack correctly as input to the linker

losing my arms in an industrial accident because i forgot a semicolon on line 57

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

you’d never forget a semicolon again, tell you hwhat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hbag posted:

losing my arms in an industrial accident because i forgot a semicolon on line 57

maybe now we can finally get a union

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rotor posted:

maybe now we can finally get a union

only after the tragic triangle semicolon factory fire

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hbag posted:

that semicolon is coming out of your paycheck

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

100'S OF MILLIONS DEAD DUE TO DENNIS RITCHIE'S INVENTION, VOID*

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

when we were young, we were happy to have a semicolon for yourself. most of my schoolmates only had one cloaca in the house

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Tony Hoare takes off his glasses and sighs. "Now we're all sons of bitches"

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i worked nights for the post office at a mail processing center and every night over half the people were drunk/high, and some of those machines were pretty dangerous if you weren't careful.

a lot of the people that would work drunk would run out to their cars on breaks, take a few shots, then constantly use hand sanitizer for the rest of the night in order to hide the smell of the alcohol on their breath

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
the alcohols cancel out, seems legit

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i used to work at an oil change shop, and as soon as the owner left in the morning to gently caress off for the rest of the day, we'd all go down into the pit to smoke a bowl with the manager

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

i used to work at an oil change shop, and as soon as the owner left in the morning to gently caress off for the rest of the day, we'd all go down into the pit to smoke a bowl with the manager

i used to work at a video store and as soon as we closed the night manager’d start selling drugs to people who stopped by. Eventually i was fired for coming to work high on unrelated drugs

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

i used to work at a video store and as soon as we closed the night manager’d start selling drugs to people who stopped by. Eventually i was fired for coming to work high on unrelated drugs

fired for disloyalty

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

well-read undead posted:

fired for disloyalty
buy local

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

you're not tricking me into clicking on your himbo dildo zone

this new Sonic levels are getting weirder and weirder

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Elder Postsman posted:

tbh i kinda like computer touching as a job but it would be a lot better if i could do it for just like 30 hours a week and have more time for my own stupid computer projects

this is basically what i do now. it varies, but i average somewhere around 10-20hrs a week, most of the year, with occasional crunches for larger projects.

i make gently caress all by yospos standards, but it pays the bills and i live comfortably enough

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so yeah, you can do it, just bill a lot per hour and have a lot of retainer contracts, and don't live in figgie land prime

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i do think work smarter not harder+managing expectations around that to have an effective sub30 hour workweek is the general computer toucher playbook

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

this is basically what i do now. it varies, but i average somewhere around 10-20hrs a week, most of the year, with occasional crunches for larger projects.

i make gently caress all by yospos standards, but it pays the bills and i live comfortably enough

how do you do it? i have never seen a part-time engineering job but would fuckin love one.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

rotor posted:

how do you do it? i have never seen a part-time engineering job but would fuckin love one.

iirc hes a self-employed contractor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

iirc hes a self-employed contractor

ok but ive never seen a part time programmer at all, contractor or otherwise

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at last job i worked like 10 hours a week max by just never actually doing anything does that count

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

at last job i worked like 10 hours a week max by just never actually doing anything does that count

its just not the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

it's not engineering, i do it infrastructure consulting and managed services. i built up a client base of small businesses and small professional consultancies over the last 15 years, and i manage their IT services for them. i have essentially no overhead, bill hourly, and have support/maintenance contracts for 20-something firms.

the business is just myself and my business partner and we split the revenue 50/50.

the job is varied enough to be interesting, the hours are all over the place but relatively few per week unless we're doing a new deployment or migration. it's generally pretty chill except for the part where IT services vendors are universally terrible and the products are all trash