Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Rexxed posted:

If I didn't need them fast I'd order on aliexpress, probably. Delivery is like a month out but you'll pay more going on amazon or ebay or a keyboard shop that's in the US since they already imported them.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805260407528.html choc blue
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804880311789.html choc blue v2

Mechanicalkeyboards has okay pricing but a limited selection and afaik there's shipping on top:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=862

I need v1 blues sadly, this is for an arcade stick, not a keyboard, and MK doesnt have them. But I'm sure i can find a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

My go-to shops are Divinikey and NovelKeys but I don’t think they’re stocking the switches you need.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

MSB3000 posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't be rebuilding my hotswap keyboard every weekend for fun? Do the hotswap sockets really wear out after ~100 uses?

I normally tease the forever tweakers it, but if you're using those hotswap sockets often enough to wear them out, then you're clearly getting your money's worth of enjoyment out of it imo. If they die, then it'll be money well spent to get another (or just replace/repair the PCB as your next project).

mewse
May 2, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am working on a bit of a side project.

If switches are plate mount, with hot-swap sockets, what is holding the switch in place? Friction between the plate and switch, and the contacts with the hot-swap? There are no fingers or tabs or anything, right?

MX style switches have tabs in the north/south positions

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mes posted:

My go-to shops are Divinikey and NovelKeys but I don’t think they’re stocking the switches you need.

yeah it's looking like i'm gonna be slow boating them from aliexpress because it's a niche switch for a niche use. oh well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MSB3000 posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't be rebuilding my hotswap keyboard every weekend for fun? Do the hotswap sockets really wear out after ~100 uses?
I'd interpret a rating like that as "most of them should at least last this long", not that you should expect to see mass failure after two years of Hot Swap Weekends.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have a compact (67%) layout, with the key directly above the right-arrow mapped to play/pause. I bump it on occasion, which is super annoying. I put in a single cheap Aliex black switch that's meant to take 80g but it feels about as easy to press as my milky yellows. Is there a cheap switch that's really, really resistant to press? Imagining something that feels like a lightswitch or something not-keyboardy.

Failing that, anyone know how to make a keypress need a longpress in Karabiner Elements or BTT?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

well why not posted:

I have a compact (67%) layout, with the key directly above the right-arrow mapped to play/pause. I bump it on occasion, which is super annoying. I put in a single cheap Aliex black switch that's meant to take 80g but it feels about as easy to press as my milky yellows. Is there a cheap switch that's really, really resistant to press? Imagining something that feels like a lightswitch or something not-keyboardy.

Failing that, anyone know how to make a keypress need a longpress in Karabiner Elements or BTT?

A clicky switch like an MX blue or a Kailh box clicky like a Box Jade would probably do it. Alternatively, there's the Zeal Clicky which feels even more tactile and heavy like a light switch. Very unlikely you would accidentally press that one.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've used Logitech K800 keyboards for my couch setup for years now but my current one is starting to die and it seems they don't make anything quite like that anymore. It was great because it was not just thin but very rugged and felt good to use too. Is there another option that would also suit those needs? It will probably be dropped on the floor every now and then.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mozi posted:

I've used Logitech K800 keyboards for my couch setup for years now but my current one is starting to die and it seems they don't make anything quite like that anymore. It was great because it was not just thin but very rugged and felt good to use too. Is there another option that would also suit those needs? It will probably be dropped on the floor every now and then.

Their MX keys (these have nothing to do with cherry mx switches) keyboards are pretty similar these days. I got one of the little ones for this imac I use a couple of times a year and it's needs suiting if you don't want a keyboard with specific mech switches but are okay with scissor switches:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Advanced-Wireless-Illuminated-Keyboard/dp/B07XD3VS62/

They have some models with low profile mechanical switches as well, to further confuse the naming, but the price jumps up:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mechanical-Illuminated-Performance-Bluetooth/dp/B09LK2Q3HL/

The aluminum case is pretty sturdy and the battery lasts a long time. They're similar to the G915 gaming keyboards but without RGB and the lightspeed wireless (although their bolt wireless is similar afaik). Backlight is okay, too.

If you don't want to spend $100+ on something like that, there's some less expensive ones that are probably membrane under the hood, and won't feel as nice to use:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MK270-Wireless-Keyboard-Mouse/dp/B00BP5KOPA/

I use the K400 for my HTPC and it's fine for as much as I use it for (picking a show) but typing feel is not great.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-PC-connected/dp/B014EUQOGK/

If none of that appeals there's a wider variety of low profile mech switch wireless keyboards around for cheaper than logitech money, but I suspect they'll be a bit more plastic. The switches will likely be very similar, though, since only a couple of companies make them:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=low+profile+wireless+mechanical+keyboard

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 28, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

well why not posted:

One thing you could do is buy a bag of really heavy springs and swap out the one switch's. You'd have a lot of extra springs on hand but a bag of ~100 shouldn't cost more than $10 or so and you might be able to find some in smaller batches

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Thanks for the recs - I''d denfinitenly rathenr spend the extra money on something that'ns bunild well and will last a whilen and was unnder the imprenssion Logietech had knind of droppend in quality ovenr the last fewn years so I'nm not married to thenm by any means but I'nll give the MX one a shot.
n

noh god this kneyboard is dying quinckn lol

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Mozi posted:

noh god this kneyboard is dying quinckn lol

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

well why not posted:

Kailh Ancient Gray. Ultra heavy spring. Highly unpleasant to type on. I swapped the spring into some Kailh Navy switches. The hybrid "Ancient Navy" frankenswitch makes for great "intentional presses only" keys.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My beloved original K70 seems to finally be dead, so I guess I'm looking for a new keyboard.

I'm looking for a new proper fullsize with media buttons and a volume scroller (not buttons). What's on the market like that today?

I would strongly prefer another aluminum bodied keyboard, and spill resistance would be nice though I know that's unlikely.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

K8.0 posted:

My beloved original K70 seems to finally be dead, so I guess I'm looking for a new keyboard.

I'm looking for a new proper fullsize with media buttons and a volume scroller (not buttons). What's on the market like that today?

I would strongly prefer another aluminum bodied keyboard, and spill resistance would be nice though I know that's unlikely.

The k70 has gone through a few different versions here is the most recent version.

Great sale too right now.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/key...s-ch-910941a-na

They made the keys better. They made the wrist guard attach with magnets so you can’t break the connectors and they made the switches optical if you select that option.

For $120 that is a ridiculously good keyboard. (Sale price)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

well why not posted:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1010304666/infrared-super-switch-600gf

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

spunkshui posted:

The k70 has gone through a few different versions here is the most recent version.

Great sale too right now.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/key...s-ch-910941a-na

They made the keys better. They made the wrist guard attach with magnets so you can’t break the connectors and they made the switches optical if you select that option.

For $120 that is a ridiculously good keyboard. (Sale price)

That sounds like a great possibility, thanks. Do you know if you can permanently disable lighting in hardware like you could on the original K70?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

K8.0 posted:

That sounds like a great possibility, thanks. Do you know if you can permanently disable lighting in hardware like you could on the original K70?

Yeah, and having icue in the background is optional.

Use icue to set the “hardware lighting” and then it will use that even when icue is closed.

If you actually want to use icue for something like macros, then you just at the lighting effect to be whatever you want or nothing.

icue v5 is out btw

Edit: you might not want the optical switches but it has options, do some research because the optical ones have a low travel distance.

I love it but others do not.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
What's the best way to ship a keyboard you no longer have the original box for? A few layers of bubble wrap and a reasonably-sized box?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, you're on the right track. Remove the cord if you can, wrap it loosely around the board if you can't. 3 or 4 layers of bubble wrap. Get a box that'll comfortably fit that, and add crumpled paper or packing peanuts until the box has the slightest bulge when closed. Don't forget to ensure bubble wrap at the ends, and put a couple runs of packing tape around both length-wise and width-wise.

If you can feel hard plastic when pressing the bubble wrap without popping any, add another layer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that rocks but Etsy wants $30aud to ship

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the description reveals the secret sauce (springs pulled from cheap clicky pens) so you could just make one yourself

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Keychron just announced a 2.4Ghz gaming line: https://www.keychron.com/pages/lemokey-l3

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

oh its a Q3 Pro with shorter macro buttons, neat.

Kickstarter funding when you have a full up and running business with multiple product lines can get hosed, wake me up when its half off on amazon.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I bought a Keychron V6 QMK a few months ago for work and I enjoy typing on it. Now I'm thinking of getting something for home as well. Shopping is frustrating me because I don't want or need a backlight but I absolutely need 100% layout. Any recommendations for a non-gaming-oriented 100% keyboard without a ton of bells and whistles? The Keychron I got in Cherry MX Brown but I'm open to anything but super clicky switches.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can just not use the backlight? :haw:

E: I'm happy with my Ducky One 2, doesn't have LEDs, seems pretty well built and does the job. Significantly nicer to type on than my old Coolermaster MasterKeys Pro S even though they have the same switches (MX Brown).

Wibla fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 5, 2023

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

I bought a Keychron V6 QMK a few months ago for work and I enjoy typing on it. Now I'm thinking of getting something for home as well. Shopping is frustrating me because I don't want or need a backlight but I absolutely need 100% layout. Any recommendations for a non-gaming-oriented 100% keyboard without a ton of bells and whistles? The Keychron I got in Cherry MX Brown but I'm open to anything but super clicky switches.

Leopold FC980C

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

change my name posted:

Keychron just announced a 2.4Ghz gaming line: https://www.keychron.com/pages/lemokey-l3

Can't come soon enough. I wanted to buy one of their 75% or 80% models because my daily driver is dying but they won't sell me a 2.4Ghz + Bluetooth one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mewse posted:

MX style switches have tabs in the north/south positions

Thanks for this, thought I'd drop one last note before closing out the thread in my bookmarks. Holy crap, you helped me dodge an absolutely dogshit keyboard an acquaintance was putting up for free. Seemed fine, gateron browns, but the switches popped out of the sockets when you pulled the caps and with just my fingers.

Also, I prototyped a mixbox over the holiday. (Thats's "an arcade stick for video games, usually, but not limited to fighting games, that uses WASD for directional inputs", for the unfamiliar.)

Happy clackening, folks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Anyways, for mechanical keyboard folks, how is the MX Mechanical (Mini)? My primary keyboard is a Model M that I'm plenty happy with, but I've been thinking of supplementing it with a modern mechanical for portable/testing use.
Update: I picked up a MX Mechanical Mini (tactile) and it's a surprisingly competent alternate/backup keyboard as a Model M user. Maybe it shouldn't be so surprising given its price, but I bought my Model M for $4 from the recyclers 20 years ago so my calibration is way off on that anyways.

I went with the tactile (brown) key switches instead of the clicky (blue) ones for a few reasons:
  • Reviews of the Kailh Choc V2 browns were excellent, blues less so.
  • Logitech seems to promote the tactile model as the primary option (linear and clicky use alternate packaging).
  • Microcenter only had open box (previously returned) clicky boards, which didn't give me confidence.
  • I already have a loud primary keyboard, so I should probably have a quiet alternate.
Going in I was a bit worried about the low profile keys but I don't mind them. They feel miles better than the scissor keys on my laptop, so I guess my issue there is t just due to shortened key travel.

Honestly the only thing I'd really change about it is that I wish the Mini was an actual TKL or at least had a dedicated Insert key (for Shift+Insert paste) instead of making it a sub of the Delete key. Maybe I can reverse them in software bindings.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 6, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is zFrontier a legit seller? They seem to have stuff in stock that other places don’t, but can’t find anything about them online.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is zFrontier a legit seller? They seem to have stuff in stock that other places don’t, but can’t find anything about them online.

Yeah, they're one of the biggest keyboard vendors and forums in China. They are legit.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I bought the Razr Huntsman Mini 60% when I got new desktop as it was the best keyboard I touched in MicroCenter that wasn't loud clicky. First time using a reduced sized keyboard after I spent the last 3 years using Lenovo laptop keyboard, it's taken some getting used to. Not sure if I like how sensitive/soft the key presses are and would like to try something different.

I've seen DURGOD posted in here before I believe and this one seems like it's pretty much what I was looking for originally.
https://www.amazon.com/Ollyn-Portable-Mechanical-Bluetooth-Hot-swappable/dp/B0BN1C79P6

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is there anything that does what the Keychron Q3 Pro SE does better?

mewse
May 2, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Thanks for this, thought I'd drop one last note before closing out the thread in my bookmarks. Holy crap, you helped me dodge an absolutely dogshit keyboard an acquaintance was putting up for free. Seemed fine, gateron browns, but the switches popped out of the sockets when you pulled the caps and with just my fingers.

If it was free couldn't you have just harvested the switches?

quote:

Also, I prototyped a mixbox over the holiday. (Thats's "an arcade stick for video games, usually, but not limited to fighting games, that uses WASD for directional inputs", for the unfamiliar.)

Happy clackening, folks.

That's super cool, where did you have the metal plates cut?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Deviant posted:

Is there anything that does what the Keychron Q3 Pro SE does better?

The Logitech G815/G915 is full size and has similar lefthand macro keys and a roll bar, though you’re stuck with the red/brown/blue switch options and I’m not sure if there’s a wireless version if that’s a requirement

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The Logitech G815/G915 is full size and has similar lefthand macro keys and a roll bar, though you’re stuck with the red/brown/blue switch options and I’m not sure if there’s a wireless version if that’s a requirement

It isn't. I just like the big friendly knob and a few macro buttons but not so many as to be obnoxious on a TKL format.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love the roll bar of my G915 TKL. It’s slightly nicer than a rotary knob imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I love the roll bar of my G915 TKL. It’s slightly nicer than a rotary knob imo.

The non cherry switch isn't doing it for me, though. and the design doesn't speak to me, but that's a personal issue