Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woebin posted:

Here's an odd request: what mods would y'all recommend for someone who just wants to experience the story and world but doesn't want to engage with the combat at all (or at least as little as possible)?

There's nothing that's actually difficulty locked or anything, so I'd play on the easiest difficulty setting with whatever companion I liked. Stewie's tweaks allow you to turn off a lot of other small annoyances.

I don't think there's a mod that introduces a story mode like in Soma or something, but that would make the combat a sleepwalk. Then you focus on Stealth, Speech, etc, so you can just avoid as much as possible/have non-combat solutions to things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Woebin posted:

Here's an odd request: what mods would y'all recommend for someone who just wants to experience the story and world but doesn't want to engage with the combat at all (or at least as little as possible)?
Turn on god mode and walk past things or beat them to death with your bare hands.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you can also toggle the combat AI off using "tcai". anything that's meant to be trying to attack will instead just stand there, and if i remember right if you stay in stealth mode they just won't ever detect you and you can feel like you're an incredibly super sneaky courier. that might fall under non-combat ai though. i'm very sorry for fugging this up

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cavauro posted:

you can also toggle the combat AI off using "tcai". anything that's meant to be trying to attack will instead just stand there, and if i remember right if you stay in stealth mode they just won't ever detect you and you can feel like you're an incredibly super sneaky courier. that might fall under non-combat ai though. i'm very sorry for fugging this up
Yeah this is what I'm mainly considering, just wondered if there are mods more designed to support this use case.

The thing about turning on god mode or playing on the lowest difficulty or what have you is that the friend I want to play with gets scared anyway, it's not about the combat difficulty but rather the shock of being attacked suddenly.

So yeah, maybe just disabling combat AI, I just think the world will seem weirdly janky if we do that.

E: I could also accept that maybe this just isn't the game to share with her, but I really think there's a lot she'd love about it.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 4, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, I suspect playing like that is going to become very trdious very fast. Because as much as the story stands out, this is still a game primarily about fighting and looting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Woebin posted:

Yeah this is what I'm mainly considering, just wondered if there are mods more designed to support this use case.

The thing about turning on god mode or playing on the lowest difficulty or what have you is that the friend I want to play with gets scared anyway, it's not about the combat difficulty but rather the shock of being attacked suddenly.

So yeah, maybe just disabling combat AI, I just think the world will seem weirdly janky if we do that.

E: I could also accept that maybe this just isn't the game to share with her, but I really think there's a lot she'd love about it.

If you’re already playing with her, could you just play for her?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Hm, I suspect playing like that is going to become very trdious very fast. Because as much as the story stands out, this is still a game primarily about fighting and looting.
This is mostly true, hence me thinking there might be appropriate mods to make the other aspects of the gameplay more interesting.

Rinkles posted:

If you’re already playing with her, could you just play for her?
I could, and I might go that route, it's just that I know the game like the back of my hand at this point and if I'm in control I'll end up taking charge more than I'd like.

Anyway, thanks for the replies! It may not be the result I hoped for but I appreciate it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I know a guy who played through the entire Mass Effect trilogy but let his girlfriend make all the decisions which worked for them. Good luck with a solution lol, Vegaspilling people ftw

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bit of a tangential suggestion, but maybe try playing as a support character that doesn't do much fighting themselves (should be viable especially on easy)? I had a lot of fun leading a posse of robots with RobCo Certified, and I see it was updated relatively recently (2021). That said, I used it years ago so I don't want to give a blanket recommendation.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

DaysBefore posted:

I know a guy who played through the entire Mass Effect trilogy but let his girlfriend make all the decisions which worked for them. Good luck with a solution lol, Vegaspilling people ftw

lmfao

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You could use Unlimited Companions and play as the leader of a small army. If you take the shortcut to New Vegas, it should be possible to recruit Arcade and Veronica without fighting anyone.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Sign of life from the F4NV folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFuQdhzNdg

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Hm, I must've replaced my version of Lombard station with an old one or something, as the laser pistol doesn't want to show up on the armory wall all of a sudden. Could've sworn it did that before.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cooked Auto posted:

Hm, I must've replaced my version of Lombard station with an old one or something, as the laser pistol doesn't want to show up on the armory wall all of a sudden. Could've sworn it did that before.

How old is your save file?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cooked Auto posted:

Are you using one of the mods that integrates GRA weapons? I've had those fail to play nicely with Lombard.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cooked Auto posted:

This should be it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k8424fu0q3f9egk/Lombard+Station+Final+Release.fomod

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

MariusLecter posted:

How old is your save file?

Like a couple of hours ago? I think must've grabbed an old mod file or something at some point.
But I grabbed that one. Thanks.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Are you using one of the mods that integrates GRA weapons? I've had those fail to play nicely with Lombard.

Ah, in that case it might be Mojave Arsenal that I grabbed from Viva. I'll just reinstall it without the GRA ini and see what happens. Good call.

Edit:
Well, the laser pistols I have are now listed as custom so that might explain why they're not showing up in that case. v:v:v

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 7, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably a bad idea to update a year old modlist with a newer version of nvse, right? I picked up where I left off and got sucked back in. I wanted to try out some of the neat new espless additions, which require 6.3.0, and I'm on 6.2.5, but I don't want to potentially gently caress up my saves.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

As far as I'm aware, every version of a Bethesda script extender is backwards compatible. You should be fine, but make a backup of the old nvse files you're replacing, just in case.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Probably a bad idea to update a year old modlist with a newer version of nvse, right?

Updating nvse should be fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

welp, game crashes on load after updating nvse. reverting to the old version doesn't help. so i screwed something up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

loading old saves from the main menu crashes the game. but if I start a new game, i can load the old saves from there. and i can load new game saves from the main menu, and then load the old saves fine as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

found the culprit (it was a hotkey mod that i previously had save related issues with, tho not crashing), but jesus this is why I hate love modding.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rinkles posted:

found the culprit (it was a hotkey mod that i previously had save related issues with, tho not crashing), but jesus this is why I hate love modding.
This kind of poo poo is why I exclusively do bestheda modding by "find suitable modpack on wabbajack" these days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

unfortunately new saves from my old character still crash, so it looks like i'm hosed. i can load them if i first load up a fresh character save, but idk if i want to play that way, plus other issues might arise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

also i just realized it's not crashing, just loading for a long time. nearly 40 seconds, when it usually only takes 2 or so.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I dread seeing the roulette wheel loading icon spinning for more than a couple seconds. Makes me feel like a real gambler hoping I don't hit a cold number (read: crash)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

I dread seeing the roulette wheel loading icon spinning for more than a couple seconds. Makes me feel like a real gambler hoping I don't hit a cold number (read: crash)

yup, or when it starts to stutter.

don't want to jinx it again, but i think i might have fixed it?? :downsa: e:lol no :negative:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Edit: too many tabs open, thought this was a different thread.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Modding new Vegas is the best part of playing new Vegas.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rinkles posted:

unfortunately new saves from my old character still crash, so it looks like i'm hosed. i can load them if i first load up a fresh character save, but idk if i want to play that way, plus other issues might arise.

You can probably load into the test cell direct from the main menu first with similar success, it's not SO bad if you want to keep your playthrough

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

As far as I could tell everything was alright after loading (it wasn’t actually crashing, just freezing and loading for a really long time), and some saves worked normally.

So I said gently caress it and just continued playing. A couple hours later, I’ve yet to encounter the problem again. :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'm not vouching for their quality, but kinda nuts how this ancient game still averages over 10 mods a day

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rinkles posted:

i'm not vouching for their quality, but kinda nuts how this ancient game still averages over 10 mods a day

The boobs and dongs will never be big enough

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
4k immersive mole rat jizz

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Some of the coolest mods have come out in just the past couple of years as well. There's one modder Sweet6shooter who's pretty much overhauled TTW in its entirety at this point

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

2house2fly posted:

Some of the coolest mods have come out in just the past couple of years as well. There's one modder Sweet6shooter who's pretty much overhauled TTW in its entirety at this point

Would love a TLDR of the last two years or so. Last time I played was just FNV + jsawyer, which was good fun

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gyshall posted:

Would love a TLDR of the last two years or so. Last time I played was just FNV + jsawyer, which was good fun

There's an excellent, massive modded story campaign with several completely separate faction storylines, driveable vehicles, and custom weird wasteland flags that let you do things like "fight" the antagonist by beating him at caravan. The full version (which had to be taken down because of IP controversies) is still available here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

There's an excellent, massive modded story campaign with several completely separate faction storylines, driveable vehicles, and custom weird wasteland flags that let you do things like "fight" the antagonist by beating him at caravan. The full version (which had to be taken down because of IP controversies) is still available here.

IP controversies is a hell of a way to downplay “has you turn an underage companion into a sex slave” and “get raped by intelligent deathclaws.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even ignoring those worst bits, everything I've seen from Frontier has been absolutely dreadful, like they tried to recreate a modern Call of Duty campaign in fallout.