Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What guys did WCW use better than WWE?

I would say:
- Sting
- Goldberg
- Vader
- Scott Steiner
- Kevin Nash
- Scott Hall
- Kidman
- Raven
- Dean Malenko
- DDP
- Perry Saturn
- Marc Mero
- Lance Storm
- Ultimo Dragon
- Juventud Guerrera
- Chavo Guerrero
- Chris Kanyon
- Paul Wight
- Ricky Steamboat

Debatable
- Ric Flair
- Booker T
- Ron Simmons
- Sid
- Meng

Who am I missing?

buff bagwell and jeff jarrett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
The Brain Busters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think Lance Storm had a better WWE run than WCW. He had a good month and a half in WCW and then some of the worst booking you can imagine.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hugh Morris

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Chuckie

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think it's kind of an open question.

Lex Luger at his best in WCW was handled better than he was in WWF, but he was also with WCW a lot longer and so there were longer lows. I'm pretty firmly in "booked better by WCW" overall but I could see a counter-argument.

You have guys like Barry Windham, Terry Gordy, and Steve Williams who were solid stars in WCW and weird footnotes in WWF, but all three of them were pretty cooked by the time they were in WWF.

I'm trying and failing to come up with any really obvious glow-ups like the well-worn Austin/Foley/HHH/Jericho/Benoit/Eddie/etc. "squandered in WCW, superstars in WWF" narrative and it really feels like there isn't anyone. Hall and Nash were arguably more over in the NWO than as Razor/Diesel but they were both main event level guys (or near enough to it in Razor's case) in WWF already. Plus they were prelim guys in WCW before leaving for WWF.

Maybe Jeff Jarrett benefitted the most from jumping to WCW in 1999? But I think "booked higher on the card" and "booked better" are different things

Norman the Lunatic might have been marginally better than Bastion Booger?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 8, 2023

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MassRafTer posted:

I think Lance Storm had a better WWE run than WCW. He had a good month and a half in WCW and then some of the worst booking you can imagine.

Did they have the biggest star in the company encouraging the crowd to chant "Boring" at his matches? Because if not I still think advantage WCW.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I would say:
- Sting
- Goldberg
- Vader
- Scott Steiner
- Kevin Nash
- Scott Hall
- Kidman
- Raven
- Dean Malenko
- DDP
- Perry Saturn
- Marc Mero
- Lance Storm
- Ultimo Dragon
- Juventud Guerrera
- Chavo Guerrero
- Chris Kanyon
- Paul Wight
- Ricky Steamboat

Debatable
- Ric Flair
- Booker T
- Ron Simmons
- Sid
- Meng

Who am I missing?

Hogan

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SiKboy posted:

Did they have the biggest star in the company encouraging the crowd to chant "Boring" at his matches? Because if not I still think advantage WCW.

No they just had him feud with Hugh G Rection which is worse.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meng is an interesting one, in WWE he was never more than a midcarder at best with a tag title reign and the King Haku thing for a bit. In WCW...he was also a midcarder at best but was treated as an absolute terror who could beat Lex Luger on a good day

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

Meng is an interesting one, in WWE he was never more than a midcarder at best with a tag title reign and the King Haku thing for a bit. In WCW...he was also a midcarder at best but was treated as an absolute terror who could beat Lex Luger on a good day

Meng's best look was as Colonel Fuller's bodyguard with that black suit and shades.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MassRafTer posted:

No they just had him feud with Hugh G Rection which is worse.

Nah, you can walk away from a Hugh G Rection feud, BOOOOOORIIIIIING followed him for years.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Hall is an interesting one.

I feel like he was booked better in his first WWF run than he was in his second WCW run as a whole. He was at about the same level in both companies but Razor had way less embarrassing storylines.

If you factor in the Diamond Studd and WWE NWO it gets a lot murkier though.

I think Hall had more standout individual moments in WWE than WCW, at least in terms of positive ones.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 8, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he was boring-over

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DeathChicken posted:

Meng always seemed so loving over in WCW which rules because Meng kicked rear end. Like anytime he showed up and started throwing the Tongan Death Grip on people and no selling everything, the crowd lost their poo poo.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Barbarian’s another interesting one, because he was pushed higher in WCW but really wasn’t over at all. Otherwise, he was pushed about the same level overall.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SiKboy posted:

Nah, you can walk away from a Hugh G Rection feud, BOOOOOORIIIIIING followed him for years.

He was in semi retirement training people in OVW less than a year later, it was not a big deal in the course of his career. He was winding down.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Pretty much every luchadore that wrestled in the US during the 90s. People (rightfully) rip on the commentary ignoring the awesome stuff that was happening in the ring but at least Nitro had the luchadore hour.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Pretty much every luchadore that wrestled in the US during the 90s. People (rightfully) rip on the commentary ignoring the awesome stuff that was happening in the ring but at least Nitro had the luchadore hour.

The worst move Nitro made was getting rid of the opening luchador match. Easily better then whatever opened Raw 90% of the time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I would say:
- Sting
- Goldberg
- Vader
- Scott Steiner
- Kevin Nash
- Scott Hall
- Kidman
- Raven
- Dean Malenko
- DDP
- Perry Saturn
- Marc Mero
- Lance Storm
- Ultimo Dragon
- Juventud Guerrera
- Chavo Guerrero
- Chris Kanyon
- Paul Wight
- Ricky Steamboat

Debatable
- Ric Flair
- Booker T
- Ron Simmons
- Sid
- Meng

Who am I missing?

:420: KroniK :420:

Sure they had a cup of coffee in the Fed but WCW certainly used them better.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

TheKingslayer posted:

In this case, the best way to use them would be not at all

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Barbarian’s another interesting one, because he was pushed higher in WCW but really wasn’t over at all. Otherwise, he was pushed about the same level overall.

Yeah. I love Barb but it was not the correct choice to have him as Ron Simmon's challenger to get Ron's title reign over.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

tbf Brian Adams had a Mania feud with Macho Man

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Meng dragging a great quick match out of a very checked out Giant was a beautiful sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGOkpKHGG74

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

D.N. Nation posted:

tbf Brian Adams had a Mania feud with Macho Man

Tbf it was also at a super lovely wrestlemania*

*2 matches notwithstanding

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

People talk about the luchadore hour but it didn't exist. The first hour of Nitro would have Hogan promos, Roadblock matches, all sorts of stuff. Yes there were cruiserweight matches and they were good but the idea that the first hour was the good wrestling hour just was not true.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

stab posted:

Tbf it was also at a super lovely wrestlemania*

*2 matches notwithstanding

2 good matches puts WM10 on par for being one of the best wrestlemanias

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Quote isn't edit

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

If only the Buff Bagwell Tracfone could have kept WCW on the line

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Only time Buff managed to engage an audience.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

1) Reference to a company Buff doesn't work for
2) Reference to a sport Buff doesn't do

Good ad

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

People talk about the luchadore hour but it didn't exist. The first hour of Nitro would have Hogan promos, Roadblock matches, all sorts of stuff. Yes there were cruiserweight matches and they were good but the idea that the first hour was the good wrestling hour just was not true.

Honestly, yea, it wasn't an hour of Luchadores, but you would have the luchas and you would have the cruisers who were mostly good. It was definitely better then watching the first half hour of Raw most of the time. Roadblock wrestled a total of 38 WCW matches, and 5 of them were on Nitro. Out of the 5 matches, four of them came between January to March of 97. They were almost all him getting squashed in 2 minutes and under, except for 1 tag match that took 5 minutes. Watching The Giant or Benoit squash Roadblock in 2 minutes is a perfectly acceptable Roadblock match.

The first hour was usually the best hour of Nitro, and you'd turn it back on for the Sting appearance at the end of the show.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Roadblock should have wrestled like the luchadores, then everyone would love him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

syzpid posted:

Honestly, yea, it wasn't an hour of Luchadores, but you would have the luchas and you would have the cruisers who were mostly good. It was definitely better then watching the first half hour of Raw most of the time. Roadblock wrestled a total of 38 WCW matches, and 5 of them were on Nitro. Out of the 5 matches, four of them came between January to March of 97. They were almost all him getting squashed in 2 minutes and under, except for 1 tag match that took 5 minutes. Watching The Giant or Benoit squash Roadblock in 2 minutes is a perfectly acceptable Roadblock match.

The first hour was usually the best hour of Nitro, and you'd turn it back on for the Sting appearance at the end of the show.

Yeah, I always took the luchador hour to be shorthand for 'after the interminable NWO promo please enjoy WCW's ridiculously stacked undercard of people who know the only chance they have of getting a reaction is having a good match' which often included luchadores. Also a side order of whatever it was they were showing was probably better than whatever through line angle was on RAW that week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

syzpid posted:

You would have basically anything in the first hour. It could be good, it could be bad. It could be matches, it could be promos. Since the first hour of Nitro was unopposed big stars loved getting promos on it because it was unopposed so you would see a lot of Hogan in that first hour. For example the Hogan/Goldberg Nitro had this first hour:

Booker T (c) defeated Dean Malenko to retain the WCW World Television Championship (3:42)
Kanyon vs. Raven (w/ Lodi) ended in a no contest (2:15)
Scott Putski defeated Riggs (4:13)
Chris Jericho (c) defeated Ultimo Dragon via DQ to retain the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship (2:14).
Chavo Guerrero Jr. defeated Johnny Swinger (1:57)
The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) defeated Alex Wright & Disco Inferno (5:01)

Also in that first hour is an nWo promo where Hogan says Goldberg has to go through Hall first.

You have some good wrestlers, you have terrible wrestlers, you have middling wrestlers.

The next week:

Singles Match: The Barbarian (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Horace (2:05)
Singles Match: Bret Hart defeated Fit Finlay (4:28)
WCW World Television Title Match: Stevie Ray (Substitute for Booker T) (c) defeated Rick Martel (8:58)
Singles Match: Konnan (w/ Sting) defeated Barry Darsow (2:00)

The week after

Stevie Ray defeated Johnny Boone
Steve McMichael defeated Sick Boy
Yuji Nagata defeated Perry Saturn
Scott Hall & The Giant defeated WCW Tag Team Champions Sting & Kevin Nash to win the titles at 9:21 when Hall defeated Sting with the Outsider Edge after Bret Hart appeared, with Sting shoving Hart to the floor and then climbing up on the middle turnbuckle; following the champions' entrance, Nash took the mic and cut a Wolfpack promo

These don't include the first hour promos, but they definitely existed. I don't remember for sure but I think the nWo Night Caps tended to happen around 8:50, and that was the worst TV of all time.

Edit: Had to check the week after and holy poo poo what an hour of TV

Diamond Dallas Page defeated The Barbarian (w/ Jimmy Hart) (3:26)
Psychosis vs. Tokyo Magnum ended in a no contest (0:22)
Scott Norton defeated Hugh Morrus (w/ Jimmy Hart) (0:05)
Brian Adams (w/ Vincent) defeated Jim Duggan (3:11)
Eddie Guerrero defeated Juventud Guerrera (5:12)

lol and then a week later:

Jim Duggan defeated The Barbarian
Eddie Guerrero defeated Tokyo Magnum
Kanyon defeated Perry Saturn
Steve McMichael defeated Sick Boy
Chris Jericho (sub. for Chavo Guerrero Jr.) defeated WCW TV Champion Stevie Ray to win the title at 4:55 via KO with the Liontamer after The Giant came out, as referee Mark Curtis was knocked down, and dropped Stevie with the chokeslam as he had Jericho set up for the Slapjack; prior to the bout, Guerrero came out looking for Pepe, with Jericho then appearing with Pepe in hand; moments later, Guerrero followed Jericho backstage with Jericho then beating Guerrero up off camera; Jericho then came back out, a broken Pepe in hand, and challenged Stevie Ray in Guerrero's place

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 9, 2023

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

back to back sub-30 second matches is art

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Psychosis v Tokyo Magnum only getting 20 seconds is a war crime.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I feel like there was a sweet spot between early Nitro and when they went to 3 hours and the beginning of the show got incredibly dire when they really found their groove with the preliminary matches.

That might be me having rose colored glasses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

rare Magic card l00k posted:

back to back sub-30 second matches is art
Looking up what they actually got through in that first unopposed hour of Nitro:

JULY 20 1998 NITRO HOUR ONE
1. Recap of Scott Hall turning on Kevin Nash to join NWO Hollywood
2. Scott Hall in-ring promo explaining why he turned on Nash
3. Recap of Scott Hall turning on Kevin Nash to join NWO Hollywood (again)
4. Stevie Ray d. Johnny Boone, fights with Chavo afterwards
5. Recap of Buff Bagwell calling out Rick Steiner from a wheelchair and getting beat up by Hogaqn
6. Rick Steiner/Buff Bagwell/Scott Steiner segment where Buff swerves Rick and reveals he is ring-ready and NWO-4-Life
7. Chris Jericho backstage promo about Dean Malenko disparaging his late father
8. Scott Hall comes back out to argue with Larry Zybzsko
9. Mongo d. Sick Boy in 1:30 while the announce team discusses the upcoming NWO Nightcap
10. NWO Nightcap
11. Travis Tritt music video to promote Road Wild

JULY 27 1998 NITRO HOUR ONE
1. Scott Hall/Brian Adams NWO Hollywood in-ring promo
2. Eric Bischoff/NWO Nightcap video package
3. Another NWO Nightcap video package after the commercial
4. Raven/Saturn in-ring confrontation
5. Jim Duggan d. Barbarian, Hugh Morrus attacks Duggan after the match, Meng runs off Barb/Morrus, attacks Duggan
6. A live NWO Nightcap segment
7. Nitro Party recap
8. DDP promo
9. Jericho/Malenko video package for THEIR FINAL MATCH EVER

AUGUST 3 1998 NITRO HOUR 1
1. DDP promo against Hollywood "Scum" Hogan leads into...
2. DDP d. Barbarian (3:26)
3. Recap of Jay Leno making fun of Hogan on the Tonight Show.
4. Larry Zbyszko calls out Dusty Rhodes
5. Travis Tritt music video to promote Road Wild
6. NWO Nightcap
7. Roddy Piper package to promote Joe Bob Brigg's Monstervision
8. Psychosis v. Tokyo Magnum ends in 22 seconds when Scott Norton kills them both with powerbombs
9. Hugh Morrus confronts Scott Norton, it's made a match, he gets powerbombed too.

They were clearly flirting with "an entire hour of the show with no matches" for weeks before finally pulling it off