Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Back in the day MK3 on SNES used to hang for a full 2 seconds any time Shang morphed as the sprites had to be loaded in and out of memory.

The SNES Cartridges did it fine, the pauses were in CD-based systems like PSX iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Elephunk posted:

The SNES Cartridges did it fine, the pauses were in CD-based systems like PSX iirc

Yup, which is why the N64 version of Trilogy was considered the best version. I'd hoped through the magic of emulation you could get rid of the freezing in the PSX version but sadly it still happens.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Medullah posted:

Yup, which is why the N64 version of Trilogy was considered the best version. I'd hoped through the magic of emulation you could get rid of the freezing in the PSX version but sadly it still happens.

Yeah as a spoiled 90's kid who had a PSX and N64 I remember it this way too. Playing MK with the stock N64 controller was a special skill

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
MK11 had a funny way of doing it, where Shang was a normal character where many of his specials involved him briefly morphing into the various Ninjas in their palette-swap-era designs, meaning they only had to have one extra model loaded. :haw:

EDIT:

Medullah posted:

MKT N64 is a weird port since they removed a lot of animation frames due to cartridge space/the N64's pitiful amount of video memory, but they didn't adjust the frame timings on moves, resulting in faster and more aggressive gameplay (and yet even more infinites in an already pretty busted game). K&M did a video comparing the two versions from the perspective of why more people doing online tournaments etc. play UMK3 instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlC2yMFlVY0

The PC version on GOG is basically the same as the PS1 version, but without the load times since it's installed on your hard disk.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 10, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Kins posted:

The PC version on GOG is basically the same as the PS1 version, but without the load times since it's installed on your hard disk.

It sucks so bad because the GOG release hit right around the time I was building my arcade cabinet, so I bought it for my MK playlist. Unfortunately the key remapping in the GOG version is atrocious so I couldn't play it on my arcade cabinet unless I did some key remapping with a 3rd party program which is always a pain in the rear end.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Let Shang users pick like 4 or 5 Kameos instead of 1 and have them be morphs.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If going retro people should be playing 2, not umk3 or trilogy anyway

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

codo27 posted:

If going retro people should be playing 2, not umk3 or trilogy anyway

2 is peak MK aesthetic and presentation but it's kind of dogshit to actually play

I hate everything about the way UMK3 looks and sounds but I have to admit it's pretty fun

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

pretty soft girl posted:

I hate everything about the way UMK3 looks and sounds but I have to admit it's pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrpGCUTRAdg

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Played a bunch of MK Deception's Chess Kombat recently and would really love to see that game mode come back in a modern FG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aYsg7wz3fU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

pretty soft girl posted:

2 is peak MK aesthetic and presentation but it's kind of dogshit to actually play

I have extremely fond MK2 memories but it's primarily because it came out in High School and I loved the time I spent in the arcade. MK3/UMK3 came out right after I graduated and I just didn't get into it as much.

I really didn't like the Dial-A-Combo system in MK3, as cool as some of the combos looked it was so much more impressive to me to get 4-5 hit combos in MK2.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

Played a bunch of MK Deception's Chess Kombat recently and would really love to see that game mode come back in a modern FG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aYsg7wz3fU

Something like this is in the works actually.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1803410/Checkmate_Showdown/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SHIRIMOTO/status/1678363042860650496?t=qFk2L-lgaJXQVYBVZe4ieA&s=19

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Compressed clown hair seems like a bad button material

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

i don't get it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Clowns got hunted to be made into fight sticks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
suddenly the lyrics of Armor-Clad Faith make so much more sense

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Versus vortex going full travelogue in the latest episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mugY8szQPKY

I've really been enjoying these videos! Some of them are better than others, but it's a really good format for them honestly. Hope they're finding the success they deserve for it

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
I originally started watching the channel only because of Mike Ross but Xian has really grown on me. He’s naturally funny and I love the way he ribs Mike, they really play off each other well

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can someone sell me on Mike Ross? What's the best thing he's done that I can watch? All I know is he used to work with the pogchamp guy, and a lot of old content with him in it is deleted because ppl got rid of the pogchamp guy's stuff because he was a right wing dumbass, but Ross is apparently chill.

He showed up very suddenly recently and everyone seems to like him, so I'd like to as well. I feel like I'm missing out

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Jinh posted:

Can someone sell me on Mike Ross? What's the best thing he's done that I can watch? All I know is he used to work with the pogchamp guy, and a lot of old content with him in it is deleted because ppl got rid of the pogchamp guy's stuff because he was a right wing dumbass, but Ross is apparently chill.

He showed up very suddenly recently and everyone seems to like him, so I'd like to as well. I feel like I'm missing out

He's probably most "famous" for getting 4th place at Evo in SF4, with Honda. Shortly after SF5 came out he more or less disappeared from the scene, for reasons unknown. He hated the game, but I'm not sure that's the only reason. All the drama with Gootecks came much later.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Recently he was one of the commentators during the Twitch Rivals event early in SF6 and was having a good time. Just one of the longer tenured members of the FCG ultimately.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I wonder how he wound up in Signapore(?) And how long ago that was.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He just seems like a nice guy overall and him and Gooteks ("the pogchamp guy") we're producing fighting game content that was actually fun and enjoyable to watch. Gooteks became more of who he is, Mike also got really burnt out, and quit social media for quite some time. People are just generally happy to see Mike resurface and show signs of happiness.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Double Bill posted:

He's probably most "famous" for getting 4th place at Evo in SF4, with Honda. Shortly after SF5 came out he more or less disappeared from the scene, for reasons unknown. He hated the game, but I'm not sure that's the only reason. All the drama with Gootecks came much later.

He was also becoming a big face for the FGC with MC duties for SF finals at EVO when it was airing on ESPN, along with being Twitch/Capcom's official guy for SF content, and I think the stress from that, not liking SFV, and whatever else was happening in his life just pushed him over the edge and he had to get out. He seems to be doing a lot better now, and I'm really happy for him.

Elephunk posted:

I wonder how he wound up in Signapore(?) And how long ago that was.

Someone said he was teaching over there, although I have no idea how true that is

Tortolia posted:

Recently he was one of the commentators during the Twitch Rivals event early in SF6 and was having a good time. Just one of the longer tenured members of the FCG ultimately.

"We're too old to be playing low tier, Mike!"

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jinh posted:

He's just a really good host with a great (on camera at minimum, never met the guy irl) personality. He comes across as super genuine both in his love for fighting games and passion about playing. He also came up as an internet personality back before the rise of twitch for fighting game stuff really outside of tournaments, which helps. edit: Outside of Max I suppose, but I've never really watched his content so it never pops up for me

But probably the best reason to see why people like him is to watch some of the old USFIV excellent adventures content. Gootecks is a pos and mike did have a pretty embarrassing r/kappa post after the whole excellent adventures meltdown, but like his mom had just died and brands were trying to do extremely dumb and degrading stuff with the show like "cereal battles where the loser makes a face while cereal is poured over their head" and stuff like that so it's pretty dang understandable. He was honestly the heart and soul of excellent adventures because he just had a ton of charisma and worked really well with basically every guest, once it was clear he didn't like the game and left the show it was immediately dead.

My favorite series of excellent adventures videos are probably the bobby scar episodes, starting here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUNpQT97mXc

Also he was the host of Capcom Pro Talk, which I believe was all out of his own pocket and while he worked at twitch because this was before capcom sponsored anything other than some tournaments sometimes. There are some pretty classic moments like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy54VTYsj-U

That last one was before he gave up on SFV

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 11, 2023

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jinh posted:

Can someone sell me on Mike Ross?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIEkRsuVDg

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh dang, I don't think I've ever seen this

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the effort posts, I'll check all these vids out and appreciate it!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

He's just a really good host with a great (on camera at minimum, never met the guy irl) personality. He comes across as super genuine both in his love for fighting games and passion about playing.

And especially this one, great writeup!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mike ross is the host of the granblue online tournament, a year before they announced rollback

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't some co-host also make a racist joke to him during some Capcom pro tour event/stream or am I imagining that.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
This documentary is perfect too

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

Didn't some co-host also make a racist joke to him during some Capcom pro tour event/stream or am I imagining that.

They asked him if he wanted fried chicken

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

They asked him if he wanted fried chicken

oh god I forgot about that

Jinh posted:

And especially this one, great writeup!

I guess it probably gives gootecks pennies for the views, but I also think the final episodes of USFIV with Smug were great. It was the first time I'd ever heard of him, and he's absolutely hilarious on the show. Plus man, watching his dudley is so incredibly sick

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS3Kq5p77k
iconic moments

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

In Training posted:

Yeah that definitely happened and he made the smart choice to just walk the gently caress outta the room. From the outside that very clearly seemed to be the last straw for him and SFV/esports

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ah found the article I was thinking of:
https://www.vg247.com/whatever-happened-to-mike-ross-the-fighting-game-star-who-walked-away

Couple choice quotes, one about the cereal thing which is a real what the heck:

vg247 posted:

Things only became worse from there. At one point, a cereal company reached out about sponsoring the show. Specifically, it wanted to sponsor a segment that would have involved Ross playing matches and having a bowl of cereal dumped on his head if he lost. Ross refused. "That was my first 'Nah, I'm good,'" Ross says. "You're trying to make a bozo out of me, and I'm good."

I'm not sure if the cereal thing is technically racist or prejudiced, but I can't help but feel like it comes from that same mental state at least because what on earth. Why would you want someone to do that? If you're going to do a tie in why wouldn't it be like.. "enjoy this delicious bowl of cereal if you win" instead of "dance for me clown man with cereal on your head"

And the other is about him being open to doing fighting game content in the future:

vg247 posted:

As absurd as it sounds now, Ross wouldn't turn down the chance to produce another fighting game-oriented show. He wouldn't want to host it unless he absolutely needed to, but he'd love to produce it behind the scenes. "I don't expect it to happen," Ross says. "There's no—at this point—company, corporation or network that would want to gently caress with somebody like me. So I don't know how possible that is."

Glad the second one wasn't prophetic. It's good to see him producing content again because he's really good at it

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
There was also a mysterious man named Waxl who looked a lot like Mike Ross that got top 24 at Evo in Rev2 one year, I wanna say 2018.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

A heated fighting game battle where the winner gets to eat a delicious bowl of cereal and gloat about it is some prime good content, why would you not pitch this instead of the humiliation angle. Sponsors loving up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Punished Ross