Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Played a personal best Sunday hurt my back Monday and carded 2 90’s this weekend. Wedges were my killer. Everything 30 foot past the hole. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Kirios posted:

I swear this thread does a great job humbling someone. I was getting ready to be all excited to post that I've shot my best score this season, a 77, only for the literal person above me to post a 68.

I will never, ever be that good.

That’s a great score! It’s all about trying to improve your game, not play against someone else’s.

My home club has about 15 guys that are +2 or better and 5 who are +4 or better. Last time I played with one of them I shot 74 and lost by 9 strokes lol. There’s always someone better.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Great final round of the US Women’s Open. Hull posting a 66 was great and Corpuz was ice cold all day.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What a weekend of watching golf. Fantastic setup at a great course, solid play and a fantastic telecast. If every tournament had that low level of commercials they would all be so much better.

Congrats Allisen (and caddie other-Jay Monahan) and all involved. It was the best non-Master's tournament I've watched this year.

edit: I really want someone who wins here to run off into the bay sometime, though. That would've sealed this as an iconic moment.

Also apparently Sahith Theegala's dad was there and rushed the green??

https://twitter.com/BrentleyGC/status/1678203764170190850?s=20

Anno fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 10, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I mostly golfed like dog poo poo again today. Contact with the ball is good....but accuracy is a problem. Last week I was pushing the ball right. Today I was pulling them left. Not a huge problem if my short game is well....but that's been trash for the past couple of weeks too. Really....my only positive is that I'm making progress with the PXG 0311 Gen 5 driving iron I bought a few weeks back. Not the easiest club to hit....but I hit the sweet spot a couple times off the tee and was shocked to find that the ball traveled over 260 yards.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Anno posted:

Lol that's awesome. Murli rules.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Anno posted:

They showed a photo during the broadcast of Corpuz and Theegala together at some junior event over a decade ago.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Kirios posted:

I swear this thread does a great job humbling someone. I was getting ready to be all excited to post that I've shot my best score this season, a 77, only for the literal person above me to post a 68.

I will never, ever be that good.
As someone in the 100+ club, I have recently stopped keeping score altogether, gently caress it :v:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

T-Square posted:

As someone in the 100+ club, I have recently stopped keeping score altogether, gently caress it :v:

If you look at my posts from 5 years ago I was there. Now I'm a 53 year old guy shooting in the low 90s / high 80s. Put the correct practice in and you can do it.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

daslog posted:

If you look at my posts from 5 years ago I was there. Now I'm a 53 year old guy shooting in the low 90s / high 80s. Put the correct practice in and you can do it.

To add a bit - if you are shooting in the upper 90s and 100s, play from the standard tees "whites" or whatever is next past the women's (red) tees. The munis I play out generally have red/white/blue/gold. Presumably, black is after golds. The extra 15-20 yards from white to blue makes a huge difference (2 clubs). So I would be going from playing 7/8 irons in second shots to 5 or 6 irons.

And two- just go out and play if you have the time. Nothing beats putting on real greens in real situations or trying to recover from bad shots.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
My lowest score for 18 is simply because the course has limited traps/hazards, no water, and all the holes are just straight without any dog legs. I add another 15 shots to my score if the other courses I play on have any additional degree of difficulty.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Golf isn't fun because it's easy.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

You guys are having fun?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Golf isn't fun.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Oodles posted:

You guys are having fun?

Yes, on the occasional straight bomb shot of a drive
Even in cases where you accidentally drive 30 yards over the green of a short par 4 because I forgot to check gps length and had a 20 mph tail wind...😆

Also if I get a couple of legit pars.

Those are all fun days.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Oodles posted:

You guys are having fun?

Can’t even enter the fun park, broke my wrist in two places at the start of spring. Going to miss the full “season” because I’m an idiot still healing

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just had a lesson, oh man there’s so many things wrong with my golf. I’ll see if I can rip a mpg from the videos he sent me.

But, he managed to shave 10% off my launch angle by berating me about the amount I twist my during the backswing.

It also feels so weird to not twist and throw myself around, I feel like a wooden tree.

Looks like babby is going to be hitting 75 yard 7 irons for the foreseeable future, until I trust myself to change club.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I was taught in lessons two decades ago to bend my knees like I’m about to take a high velocity dookie right on the ground, bend my right arm while keeping my left straight as an arrow, and not move so much as gently transfer my weight to my back foot and back to my front foot as I swing. Everything else is stock still. I have no idea if it’s ‘right’ and there seems to be a wider variety of effective swings than I was led to believe.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So, that’s how I started my posture.

He told me to straighten my legs, as it looks like I’m currently squatting to take a poo poo, rather than swinging a golf club.

God bless the bluntness of Scots

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You don’t full on squat you just bend your knees enough that a high velocity turd would have enough clearance. These are not my words

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

managed to rip the video.

making GBS threads my pants
https://i.imgur.com/Pva5BFl.mp4

not making GBS threads as much
https://i.imgur.com/q8taoxO.mp4

Plz no critiquing my club face, i'm working on that too.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
*Not a swing instructor, but if I had to give my advice based on those videos it'd be:

I'd like your setup to be somewhere in the middle of those two, probably closer to the 2nd video. You don't need all that knee bend at address, but you want more of it during your backswing so you can release it into the ground just before/at impact, ideally.

Your hands are in a much better spot at the top in your 2nd video as well. Tons of extra/unnecessary upward arm movement after you're done turning in the first one.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ll save you the face on view, as that shows the abysmal position my club face was in.

I’ve got two drills, just take the club to waist height and try and force myself to not rotate my wrists, and try and shadow the ball on the back swing.

I’ve got a lot of bad habits to unlearn. It felt so weird doing that, I felt so wooden, and unnatural.

I also hear you, that the second posture is too far the other way, but at this point I want to stop the really bad poo poo I’m doing, and then work on softening it a little.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Definitely. Over-correcting is the typical prescription for most changes in the golf swing, so you're on the right track there, and if you had to pick one or the other you'd be totally fine with the 2nd setup vs. the first one.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Lmao the whole thing was an elaborate grift to get an Augusta membership

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It's pretty cool that there are people out there living life with an infinite money cheat

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seems like everyone hates Greg Norman which is definitely something I can get behind

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Did that MFer seriously do all of this so he could get a membership at Augusta?!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kirios posted:

Did that MFer seriously do all of this so he could get a membership at Augusta?!

Now that it's public, he's not going to get it. Those guys don't get pushed around by anyone.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Also…how does any deal with the PGA get him Augusta membership, secret or no? I don’t think Monahan is a member and even if he is I can’t imagine he has that kind of power over, like, former presidents and secretaries of state

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I do kind of wonder if this was "proposal" as in "all involved parties talked it over" or "Yasir and Jay got hammered one night".

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
This is a simplistic take, but I truly believe that somebody with money like Yasir is so far beyond requesting things. He's actually used to speaking his wishes into existence via purchase power, and nobody calls him on it because he surrounds himself with yes men and executes the rest.

Ask yourself what type of person would throw in a highly-coveted ANGC membership as a stipulation for buying into a sports league? Especially when AGNC does not answer to anybody. You think anybody pointed that out to Yasir? I doubt it.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Im going to include "membership at Augusta National" in all of my future negotiations. It's worth a shot!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Finished up round #13 on the year this morning. Shot a 99, should have done better. It hasn't happened in awhile, but I got stuck in a green-side bunker on 18 that took me four shots to get out of and led to a quad bogey. So frustrating. The good news is I only lost one ball (hole 15, par 3 over water, sent it straight left into the drink), used the same tee, and only had two triple-or-worse holes. Also finished in under 3 hours, which is great.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Golf: terrible day off the tee, except on par 3's. Hit 6 or 7 tee shots straight up off near the crown of the 3 wood, 180-200 yards. Driver was consistent, but I'm avoiding it a bit because it's not me lately. No fairways until 7, which was a very tall, short, 7 wood leaving me with tree trouble on the approach. 5 fairways.

Two over on the front because drat, the irons were on and the putter was gold. Three over on the back. Most frustrating 77 ever.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

daslog posted:

Now that it's public, he's not going to get it. Those guys don't get pushed around by anyone.

Especially when they have famously denied memberships to people who publicly express interest.

Infomaniac posted:

Im going to include "membership at Augusta National" in all of my future negotiations. It's worth a shot!

You can't hit the ball without swinging the club!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I'm playing Torrey Pines next week (North on Sunday, South on Tuesday.

Long shot here, but does anybody have local (inside of an hour) course recommendations for a round Monday? I'm staying in Irvine. Bonus if anybody knows of a lighted par 3 course. They're pitifully absent in Texas.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

Long shot here, but does anybody have local (inside of an hour) course recommendations for a round Monday? I'm staying in Irvine. Bonus if anybody knows of a lighted par 3 course. They're pitifully absent in Texas.

Both are slightly over an hour from Irvine, but I played Maderas and The Crossings at Carlsbad on a trip last summer and enjoyed both.

Can't help with the Par 3.

plumpy
Dec 5, 2005

Kameh posted:

I don’t know of any lighted courses nearby, but if you’re looking for some exec/par 3 courses down that way then Goat Hill is rad. For a full 72 maybe Aviara? Honestly might be pricier than Torrey though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Huskers posted:

Both are slightly over an hour from Irvine, but I played Maderas and The Crossings at Carlsbad on a trip last summer and enjoyed both.

Can't help with the Par 3.

Love Maderas (literally wearing a t-shirt from there right now), it's my dad's home course. My scores are ugly but it's always a good time