Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wow I might just go back and play it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It all looks good except villagers not taking prisoners anymore, that change sucks.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

But do you still need a script to not break your fingers smithing?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Preview of the next update for the Warhammer Fantasy mod: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-old-realms/news/monthly-development-blog-june

In addition to adding Bretonnia it will have new 'careers' with their own skill trees and active abilities. The first five will be melee focused, so playing a wizard will be less of a no-brainer. Sounds like it's probably still a ways off, though

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Had a super weird... glitch?... where Derthert died and I, the unmarried head of a tier-2 landless clan, was elected with 100% of the votes as the new king of Vlandia.
Weirdest drat thing. I don't even know what to do as king. On the plus side I no longer need worry about my ruler deciding to declare war on Aserai and Sturgia at the same time.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tree Bucket posted:

Had a super weird... glitch?... where Derthert died and I, the unmarried head of a tier-2 landless clan, was elected with 100% of the votes as the new king of Vlandia.
Weirdest drat thing. I don't even know what to do as king. On the plus side I no longer need worry about my ruler deciding to declare war on Aserai and Sturgia at the same time.

Sucker

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did they ever buff the minor clan units back up to usefulness after that severe nerf they took early on in EA, or are they all still garbage?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Broken Cog posted:

Did they ever buff the minor clan units back up to usefulness after that severe nerf they took early on in EA, or are they all still garbage?

They're helpful when you make armies, absolutely

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

even the Hidden Hand guys?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

In my last playthru I had about 400k in cash as an Indy clan and had just sniped Varcheg after it rebelled. The city kinda sucks though, it’s cold up here.

I am losing money and can’t mercenary around any more since I own a fief, but also nobody is invading me any time soon. What’s the best thing to do here if my ultimate goal is to restore the empire as an independent?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Flavahbeast posted:

even the Hidden Hand guys?

It is their sacred oath to fight without armour, shields, polearms or horses.
Come to think of it, that oath could use some work.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Beefeater1980 posted:

I am losing money and can’t mercenary around any more since I own a fief, but also nobody is invading me any time soon. What’s the best thing to do here if my ultimate goal is to restore the empire as an independent?

Is smithing still broken? Probably exploit smithing until you’re rich then buy people’s loyalty? That or reload/start over/swear fealty if you can do that with a fief, and don’t be independent because you’re just making an already absurdly grindy game even grindier

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Realistically I don’t think anyone ever restores the empire without heavy modding/cheating/filling a small nation’s annual sock output with poop

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've never managed to get close to restoring the empire in vanilla. I only get a grip by doing real broken poo poo by making disgusting OP arrow armies I can sucker opponents into thinking they have a chance against while flooding markets with poo poo tier weapons I've smithed that they love.

M&B have always pushed for some absolutely obscene grinding levels for some things like levelling your characters to not be garbage.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Realistically I don’t think anyone ever restores the empire without heavy modding/cheating/filling a small nation’s annual sock output with poop

At the very least it takes some kingdom management mods because omg does that become tedious. Especially with the npcs starting forever wars with every other kingdom.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

downout posted:

At the very least it takes some kingdom management mods because omg does that become tedious. Especially with the npcs starting forever wars with every other kingdom.

So much this. Like god drat my dude, we're already in a two front war I can't help you on both sides with so I'm triaging your losses. Now you're gonna declare war on another empire to just let the two-fiefs remnant of their shattered and broken empire rampage through our back ranks and rebuild themselves on poo poo I will then have to re-reconquer?

Let me finish one empire first then get your internal political jollies off. There will be plenty of war declarations on us when we get too big. Don't add fuel to the fire.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
I've united the empire without cheating or mods but it took a while. But I just played in small bursts rather than forcing myself to grind. Radical concept, I know.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Wafflecopper posted:

Is smithing still broken? Probably exploit smithing until you’re rich then buy people’s loyalty? That or reload/start over/swear fealty if you can do that with a fief, and don’t be independent because you’re just making an already absurdly grindy game even grindier

smithing is absolutely still the single most powerful skill in the game but it will take about an in-game year, an assistant, and ideally independence to get it done.

fortunately it can be developed alongside a bunch of other stuff too but yeah

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I've been trying to make Sword Sisters, notably the "Gallant" version, the mounted crossbow units, work, but are they just.... really bad?
They never seem to get many kills, and they die like flies since they have little armor. Extra annoying since they're mercenary units, so getting replacements for them can be a pain.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 16, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Not wearing helmets is a real bad idea. I've had some success mixing in their foot crossbowwomen with my overall archery groups, they don't seem notably different in that regard to other T4 crossbows.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
yeah the mounted ones suck bad, but the foot ones are usable in mixed ranged formations. the lack of armor isn't as much of a problem in the latter because crossbows are arguably better than bows at mid-close ranges i.e. when your archers may be getting charged

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ErKeL posted:

I've never managed to get close to restoring the empire in vanilla.

Same. I get tired at the same AI gameplay loop. Ignore ongoing sieges of our important cities to capture far off, undefendable castles. Give it to me instead of a city I can actually keep despite being the only Lord keeping my faction alive through every war (gently caress you Derthert). Wash, rinse, repeat.

I finally installed a mod that lets me override Derthert's decisions so I can actually keep the cities that I singlehandedly take.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

If you want to end a war, just start not releasing any lords. I recommend the "lower chance to escape" perks. Capture about 20 or more of them, and that takes the fight out of most kingdoms.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
you can also just start chopping and not stop to reduce future wars

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I haven't done that yet, the penalty is crazy. Do cruel lord at least increase relationship when heads start rolling or is it still just all negative with a bunch of clans?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

downout posted:

I haven't done that yet, the penalty is crazy. Do cruel lord at least increase relationship when heads start rolling or is it still just all negative with a bunch of clans?

Yeah, seriously, how can you even keep playing after you kill a few lords? I mean, at that point, wouldn't all of the lords starting acting irrationally? I mean, they wouldn't reward you with the fiefs you deserve, they would declare war on you constantly, wage insane vendettas for no reason, etc. I can't even imagine what you would do at that point other than be forced to endlessly execute more and more of them, until you were sitting on a throne of blood atop a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, and what is will be no more

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I only go choppy choppy when i'm a king. trying something like that as a vassal is just stupid.

but if you really want to make sure people don't bother you again, and you don't give a gently caress if everyone outside your clan hates your guts, its viable.

but yes,

litany of gulps posted:

sitting on a throne of blood atop a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, and what is will be no more

this is generally the point of it. also, if you're doing the campaign, and are anti-empire, the conspiracy will eventually make them all declare war on you immediately anyway and (at least, i don't think) there's anyway to buy them off once the event fires, so might as well get a "head" start :black101: :unsmigghh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can always just keep the event from triggering by constantly doing the conspiracy missions.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Broken Cog posted:

You can always just keep the event from triggering by constantly doing the conspiracy missions.

You can always just keep the event from triggering by just playing sandbox, because the developers obviously don't care enough about the campaign to actually make it compelling (or make it work).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I really do hate it when sandbox games have a "campaign" that ends with everyone in the world turning on you. Total war shogun 2 did the same thing. I don't care if that's historically accurate!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tree Bucket posted:

If you're a member of a kingdom and the ruler dies you always become the ruler

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
If you become monarch, get a shitload of influence so you can force your lords into a mega-army and try to only fight one war at a time.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

habeasdorkus posted:

If you become monarch, get a shitload of influence so you can force your lords into a mega-army and try to only fight one war at a time.

Does this game have the same issue as Warband where as soon as you become a king, the entire world comes to tell you that you are not?

Edit: Or does getting elected get around that?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bondematt posted:

Does this game have the same issue as Warband where as soon as you become a king, the entire world comes to tell you that you are not?

is that really an issue? it's extremely realistic. try declaring yourself king in real life and 99% of the time you'll get the same result.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I would imagine established kingdoms would be rather unfriendly towards an upstart warlord declaring themselves their equal. Not to mention that when the player starts a kingdom, they are usually pretty weak, and the AI can be rather opportunistic (maybe overly so, considering how often nobles like to declare additional wars because "We are currently stronger than them, we should press this advantage").

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And also you're only declaring for yourself by taking poo poo from one of their friends/cousins

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Earwicker posted:

is that really an issue? it's extremely realistic. try declaring yourself king in real life and 99% of the time you'll get the same result.

I mean for the new king it sure is. Not issue as in game bug/design flaw.

Pssh they keep trying to tell me I'm not a king but this court has gold trimmed flags which indicates an admiralty court and I'm a Freeman.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Bondematt posted:

Edit: Or does getting elected get around that?

Warband had a hidden stat called Right to Rule that got around this, no idea if Bannerlord does

But if your rtr was high enough when you went indy in Warband you only really had to deal with the guy you took poo poo from as an enemy unless you got your rear end kicked bad enough for another kingdom to get opportunistic

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I feel like they could fix a little bit of the "I'm going to declare war on another faction even though I'm a year into a hell-war with one faction already" by allowing the factions to ally. Then I think instead of weird bilateral relations we have now we'd probably just end up with two or three large alliances that are constantly in a hell-war instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I would imagine established kingdoms would be rather unfriendly towards an upstart warlord declaring themselves their equal. Not to mention that when the player starts a kingdom, they are usually pretty weak, and the AI can be rather opportunistic (maybe overly so, considering how often nobles like to declare additional wars because "We are currently stronger than them, we should press this advantage").

Imean all you need to do is see how it turned out for Napoleon