Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
For the record, the clues are that Hoid mockingly calls Thaidakar "The Lord of Scars" and notes that, if this uppity behavior continues, he may have to go administer another rear end-kicking. The list of people whom Hoid has beat up has exactly one name on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

For the record, the clues are that Hoid mockingly calls Thaidakar "The Lord of Scars" and notes that, if this uppity behavior continues, he may have to go administer another rear end-kicking. The list of people whom Hoid has beat up has exactly one name on it.

General Cosmere spoilers., don't hover if not caught up:It's two names, but the chances of Thaidakar being Adonalsium were pretty low.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ojjeorago posted:

General Cosmere spoilers., don't hover if not caught up:It's two names, but the chances of Thaidakar being Adonalsium were pretty low.

Using the powers of creation to destroy God is a little different from kicking someone's rear end

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The lost metal

elantris stuff shows up. :vince:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Warbreaker chapters 13-24

I'm really liking the actual relationship between Siri and Susebron, even though it is nothing like a real marriage. Him being a tongueless mute controlled by Treledees was not at all what I was expecting. I did like Siri taking it in stride though, she's definitely got that in her. I'm still unsure what would actually happen if they had a kid given that he wouldn't be able to transfer his Breaths without a tongue to speak the commands. I did like Siri teaching him sarcasm, and then him immediately telling her that she's normal.

Vivenna is slowly sliding into acceptance of her situation with the Breaths, and mercenaries, and all the colors she can see. One thing though, the Mercenaries are leading her around pretty much everywhere. They've been really good at framing it as advice and ultimately her decision, but the group is doing what they want, going where they want, and for the most part meeting who they want. I'm not ready to say they're being nefarious, but I can totally see things going that way. I also like that Vivenna had some run-ins with Vasher before he broke into Mercystar's house and snuck into the secret passage, considering that I'm still thinking they may team up.

I have another fun theory, almost certainly involving Vivenna. I've been looking at all the Returned god's names, and I think Warbreaker fits the theme, especially after Peaceyearning. I think Warbreaker is a Returned god that gets killed and Returned during this book, and (based on the cover) I think it might end up being Vivenna. The cover is obviously one of the two sisters, and my thoughts is that it's whichever of them becomes a Returned god, and I feel like Vivenna is the more likely of the two, though either is possible.

Lightsong has also been fun in these chapters. He and Blushweaver have some fun flirting, though she's got a very manipulative side to her that I think may force Lightsong to oppose her at some point. It is really weird that he's some kind of savant at the ball throwing game, but maybe he was really good at this stuff in his past life. I hope he gets more out of his priest that seems to know his past self as well.

Progress so far:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
End of Warbreaker spoilers: I still don't know what the deal with that ball throwing game was. Was it just a gag about him being lucky or is there some significance/clue to his identity that I missed?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love this game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Bread Liar
pik_d, I’m really looking forward to your Way of Kings check-ins, it’s gonna be cool reliving reading it for the first time vicariously.

I’ve been lazy about reading secret projects 2 and 3 and decided to start Children of Time before I jump into SP2. I finished Wyrd Sisters (Discworld) and Kindred by Octavia Butler and wasn’t ready for more fantasy yet and am taking a sci-fi detour.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Louisgod posted:

pik_d, I’m really looking forward to your Way of Kings check-ins, it’s gonna be cool reliving reading it for the first time vicariously.

I’ve been lazy about reading secret projects 2 and 3 and decided to start Children of Time before I jump into SP2. I finished Wyrd Sisters (Discworld) and Kindred by Octavia Butler and wasn’t ready for more fantasy yet and am taking a sci-fi detour.

Children of Time is incredible

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

End of Warbreaker spoilers: I still don't know what the deal with that ball throwing game was. Was it just a gag about him being lucky or is there some significance/clue to his identity that I missed?

That game is a coded reference to the entire plot of the cosmere, and if you're deep enough in the lore the connections are obvious.

or maybe he's just really lucky

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm like 75% through Secret Project 3 and it's been fantastic, different enough from the old stuff but still familiar Sanderson. Hoid's narration is much less then it was in SP1 which helps.

Spoiler from like chapter 4-5ish from SP3 about the overall cosmere Hoid mentions how he didn't give Design a real body "because we all know how badly that goes" and he is telling this story on Roshar, makes me think the Spren body experiments from the end of the last book are going to lead to a real shitstorm

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

socialsecurity posted:

Spoiler from like chapter 4-5ish from SP3 about the overall cosmere Hoid mentions how he didn't give Design a real body "because we all know how badly that goes" and he is telling this story on Roshar, makes me think the Spren body experiments from the end of the last book are going to lead to a real shitstorm

Which isn't really a surprise, of course.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stormfather tried to get a physical body and goes all Akira on Roshar, end of book 5

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Louisgod posted:

Children of Time is 100% worth the detour. It's real good. The Final Architect series was pretty good too, but not as good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tunicate posted:

That game is a coded reference to the entire plot of the cosmere, and if you're deep enough in the lore the connections are obvious.

I had always though it was because he was an accountant and the weird scoring rules and mulipliers and things just made intuitive sense to him, so he'd just lob it to wherever his intuition told him

Learn something new every day

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Tunicate posted:

I thought it was just plucked from a cut scene in Elantris, according to the Elantris commentary. I'm gonna need some specifics from you on this theory you're asserting, if you're serious, because I'm really, really not seeing it and I have done some pretty deep Coppermind dives.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the first thing you have to understand is that the colors of the balls correspond to their point value or something, gently caress if I've read that scene at any point in the last 10 years

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CK07 posted:

I thought it was just plucked from a cut scene in Elantris, according to the Elantris commentary. I'm gonna need some specifics from you on this theory you're asserting, if you're serious, because I'm really, really not seeing it and I have done some pretty deep Coppermind dives.

p sure it was just a joke and lightsong's good at the game because it's funny

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I always read it as him messing with people by pretending not to care but actually paying attention and making sure he still wins.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I always figured it was a non-sports-loving author making fun of sports with intricate rules.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I always figured the game was so complex, convoluted and ridiculous that Lightsong appeared to be a genius at it just by playing it randomly

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

smackfu posted:

I always figured it was a non-sports-loving author making fun of sports with intricate rules.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I always figured the game was so complex, convoluted and ridiculous that Lightsong appeared to be a genius at it just by playing it randomly

OK yeah this was where I am generally. Just checking, you never know with this guy.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Warbreaker chapters 25-35

Feels early for the Sanderlanche, but some poo poo has definitely happened now. Siri has been taking some real initiative with Susebron and the situation around her. Teaching him about gods and the outside, world, while also making friends with Lightsong and the two of them helping each other with their "cases" as P.I. Lightsong would call them. Making contingency plans with Bluefingers also seems important. I am curious about the God Kings though, for a while I was assuming that Susebron was the only one to have his tongue removed, but Siri seems to be assuming that's not the case for some reason.

But her sister really has her eclipsed, first going full blown revolutionary with her merc buddies, then learning a little bit about Awakening right before getting captured by Vasher, escaping that, and finding out her merc buddies aren't actually even her mercs. Last time I said that they were leading her around, and yeah, she was their "captive" apparently and now they hosed up by assuming she ran away. Denth is very dangerous but he can't kill her without giving up the Breaths she has. Vivenna is going to have to convince Vasher to help her now, somehow. I think not being tempted by the sword will go some way to swaying his opinion of her but he did just tell her not to escape or he'd kill her. Welp. RIP Parlin though, had a crush on Jewels, told Vivenna she was good for him, then died. I think Vivenna brings him back as a Lifeless.

Lightsong has ALSO started taking initiative with his investigations and everything. I think things with him and Blushweaver will come to a head soon enough, I think she's the one who hired Denth and Tonk Fah. I think she wanted them to astroturf an Idrian rising up so that she could convince everyone else to get ready for war. It could also be Treledees, but I've seen him less so I don't know. Blushweaver calling Siri a slut when Lightsong couldn't hear was also interesting. It's obvious Blushweaver thinks she has some control over Lightsong, but as I said, I think things between them will break down soon.

And Hoid showed up! This is the second time he's got himself in a position of gathering knowledge. He was an informant in Mistborn era 1, and now he's a storyteller. In Elantris he just did some work for Sarene. I wonder if this is all I'll see of him here, similar to the other books.

Progress so far:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Warbreaker chapters 36-48

I didn't realize how close I was to the end. All the annotations at the end of the ebook made me think there was another 300 pages, but I've really only got like two more days of reading, including today. I'm actually around 80% so I think the Sanderlanche is about to start.

Siri and Susebron have really been making headway with getting on the same page. He's finally acknowledging that actually yes, she's got a point about his priests. They're also loving which was literally the one thing they shouldn't be doing. The deal with Peacegiver saying he may come back to use the 50,000+ Breaths that the God Kings are passing on is interesting, feels very "second coming of Christ" type deal. I am very much looking forward to Siri going to Lightsong, that'll be a really fun conversation.

Lightsong is really moving his plot along too. I'm still not sure about the red panther, I feel like it's supposed to represent someone. Vasher? One of the princesses? Kalad's hidden army? Lightsong's history doesn't make a lot of sense to me, he's starting to think he was an Idrian soldier before he Returned, but there wouldn't have been a war five years ago for him to die in, with the treaty in effect for two decades. I did like his "betrayal" of Blushweaver though, I've been waiting for the two of them to take their masks off and actually confront each other. They call each other "dear" and flirt, but they clearly want completely different things. Giving his codes to Allmother, then receiving hers, then finally taking control of a full half of the Lifeless army so he has equal power to Blushweaver isn't going to end with smiles and flirtation. I'm also wondering if the woman that appears in his dreams is a sister, or possibly a princess of his, Vivenna maybe?

Finally, Vivenna has been through the wringer. From a Princess bride, to a revolutionary, to the lowest of the lowly beggars and a Drab, now having to beg with tears in her eyes for her lost people to not fight. And she's back on her feet, learning to Awaken, has her own sword, and is partnering up with Vasher. I also like that Vivenna is clearly suspicious that Nightblood is a "type four" entity. I'm curious what needs to happen to make one since Vasher wouldn't tell. I'm wondering if it costs the Awakener's life. She's definitely the woman on the cover, though neither sword (Nightblood nor the dueling blade she got) really matches the cover art. I still think she's dying and becoming the Returned God Warbreaker, I can definitely see her doing something heroic enough now.

Progress so far:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CapnAndy posted:

Pretty sure he beats himself up all the time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pik_d posted:

Warbreaker chapters 36-48

I didn't realize how close I was to the end. All the annotations at the end of the ebook made me think there was another 300 pages, but I've really only got like two more days of reading, including today. I'm actually around 80% so I think the Sanderlanche is about to start.

I had the same problem, I thought a quarter of the book was left and then the next chapter was the last one.

I didn’t really like having the annotations so prominently linked at the beginning and end of each chapter either. But mainly because they weren’t that interesting. And you had to constantly watch for the next annotation paragraph being spoilers.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

smackfu posted:

I had the same problem, I thought a quarter of the book was left and then the next chapter was the last one.

I didn’t really like having the annotations so prominently linked at the beginning and end of each chapter either. But mainly because they weren’t that interesting. And you had to constantly watch for the next annotation paragraph being spoilers.

I'm just putting them off until I finish more stuff. I read the Elantris ones and they were fun, but I wasn't sure about the first Mistborn era ones spoiling future books in the trilogy or beyond, so I'll just go over them all sometime down the line.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Bread Liar
I've mentioned it before but Sanderson is excellent at kicking his main characters to their lowest lows and then bringing them back for some badass comeuppance. Warbreaker did it best imo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Potato Salad posted:

Pretty sure he beats himself up all the time.

While this is true, you're forgetting that (I don't think this is explicitly spelled out but it's hinted pretty heavily through comments in some books) Hoid isn't a person, so he doesn't count for that list. :colbert:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
this reminds me about how Lightsong rules

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
It'll be interesting to see what this is

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1681672667206758400

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
No way I'm going to remember that come this November, let alone next.

Good thing someone else will.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:911:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Bread Liar
Brandon, a year from now: It was Tuesday

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

immoral_ posted:

No way I'm going to remember that come this November, let alone next.

Good thing someone else will.

I misread this and thought I forgot that SA5 comes out this year, and was super disappointed when I reread your post :negative:

That SA5 prologue was crazy, and considering what happened in Rhythm of War... The book will be so insane, and to have to wait more than a year for it is torture.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Torrannor posted:

I misread this and thought I forgot that SA5 comes out this year, and was super disappointed when I reread your post :negative:

That SA5 prologue was crazy, and considering what happened in Rhythm of War... The book will be so insane, and to have to wait more than a year for it is torture.

Providing minor disappointments seems to have become my goal in life lately, so at least I've got that going for me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Warbreaker chapters 49-End
Finished the book! Honestly so much still doesn't make sense to me.

The Pahn Kahl plot only really became clear to me in the first part of this section, and even then I wasn't really sure. Honestly Treledees felt suspicious up until right before he died since we were seeing him through Siri's eyes. The whole deal with Vasher and Denth both being Returned from the Manywar also really got me. I was sure Vivenna was going to a) be the girl on the cover (which she was) and b) be the titular character. But no, Vasher's gotta have all the names to himself. Both Kalad and Peacemaker, and then Warbreaker as well as some other names that no one ever used.

Lifesong's sacrifice became obvious as soon as Susebron got put in a cell next to him, but then he figured that out at the same time. It was still really nice for Lifesong to believe in the last moment, then basically save the day. Little bummed out that the Red Panther was just the ship he died on. Gotta say Blushweaver's death shocked me though, that was sudden and brutal.

I do like Vivenna pulling a "monkey see, monkey do" and just going "Well Vasher did this, it'll probably work" especially just yeeting Nightblood at some guys. Then Vasher had some fun tricks of his own, making Denth literally colorgasm to death.

And Susebron became the first individual in this story that actually felt close to godlike to me, though on that subject it didn't feel like anyone really got into the whole shard thing. Austre is the closest thing to maybe possibly a shard, but the name doesn't fit the scheme. It's nice that Susebron/Siri and potentially Vasher/Vivenna got some kind of happy ending, though V&V are gonna dive right into a potential sequel. Hopefully someone wrote to dad.

Honesetly this Sanderlanche really slapped me in the face and didn't give me as many answers as I wanted. How did the royal blood line get some Returned blood if even the God King can't have children? Are the other God Kings really just on a farm somewhere? Is Austre real? Will Vasher get any more names? Will the government be less hosed up now?

I'm gonna read the first Stormlight book next, and I know the Stormlight stuff has some crossovers, so I'm hoping to see some old faces along with the new ones.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 20, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love Warbreaker up until the final couple chapters where I feel like it rushes an unsatisfying ending. Almost all of the stuff up to the ending is so loving good. Then that last like 5% feels intensely rushed. The last 5% or so should have been about 3x longer.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

To me, it feels like the ending of the book was written planning for a sequel because it rushes a lot, leaves so many unanswered questions, and also the Epilogue scene with Vivenna and Vasher heading off to chase Yesteel with even more powerful ichor feels like it was written very much as a 'hook' for the next plotline.

IIRC, Sanderson does have plans for a direct sequel to Warbreaker, but it's annually described on hiatus as "no progress this year, wasn't planning to be any progress this year, still firmly on the back burner for a while" so no idea when that'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Bread Liar
I was annoyed over Warbreaker's rushed ending before knowing there'll eventually be a sequel and that there's crossover in other books.