Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ConfusedUs posted:

There's the god beam that Spiritualists get that makes all pops spiritualist. Zap 'em, then bombard them into giving up?

Honestly this gives me an idea for a roleplay run:

Origin: Knights of the Toxic God
Ethics: Fanatic Spiritualist plus whatever
Civics: Crusader Spirit plus whatever
Ascension Perk: Colossus Project

Goal: Convert the galaxy into worshipping your garbage god.

That sounds like a pretty fun run and I haven't done that origin yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Poil posted:

It wouldn't be quite so bad if it was possible to scrap the habitats without having to retrofit a colossus. Still bad, just slightly less so.
You can "scrap" them by transfering the entire population off... for the low low price of 200 influence per starbase. Unless you're a purging civ, in which case you can just leave one to-be-purged chump behind, it'll get auto-abandoned when they die.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Automigrate also removes the colony, just disable all jobs

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

isndl posted:

This but in Terminal Egress. :getout:

Planetary diversity is great because I can now colonize the planets right next to the L-Gate and slap an orbital ring on that motherfucker to immediately engage anything that tries to poke its head in. :frogout: shitlords

The lack of L-Gates in the game I just wrapped up was disappointing actually. There were two, both in the same eighth of the galactic pie.

ConfusedUs posted:

There's the god beam that Spiritualists get that makes all pops spiritualist. Zap 'em, then bombard them into giving up?

Honestly this gives me an idea for a roleplay run:

Origin: Knights of the Toxic God
Ethics: Fanatic Spiritualist plus whatever
Civics: Crusader Spirit plus whatever
Ascension Perk: Colossus Project

Goal: Convert the galaxy into worshipping your garbage god.

I was kinda disappointed by the conversion beam. Cool RP flavor, but it feels like a letdown for a colossus weapon when there's things like the planet cracker, neutron sweep, and prison shield in the cards. I ended up swapping for the planet cracker to neatly solve the problem of the handful of worlds the scourge infested.

Anyway, my good guy spiritualists game ended up with bad guys anyway. I chucked a random admin at a bad odds roll to get the Chosen One and against all odds she got it. She then became the God-Empress and proclaimed the Galactic Imperium, launched a crisis war against the fanatic spiritualist fallen empire, and united the galaxy under Pax Galactica. Went from Fanatic Egalitarian/Spiritualists with things like beacon of liberty and parliamentary system to Fanatic Authoritarians with an imperial cult and feudal society.

No genocides other than the scourge, but uh... you better be down with becoming a psychic pledged to the Instrument and worshipping your ruler as a deity. Guess we gotta try this again.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Noir89 posted:

Oh, that's clever!

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Habitats ARE costly. Thousands of alloys and hundreds of influence for a size 8 planet is pretty much always worse than making claims and building warships, especially when sprawl, worse planetary specializations, 5 alloys upkeep per habitat, and no orbital rings are factored in.

They're pretty lackluster as is, you might as well take them out of the game if you're going to put such draconian limits on them

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
habitats are insanely expensive in the early game to the point that i'll only ever build them if i'm doing a habitat only void dweller game

habitats are pocket change in the late game because you don't need influence once you have one of the total war goals, and 5000 alloys is less than 2 battleships

and there lies the problem

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ConfusedUs posted:

Speaking of the god ray, is there actually a tech that makes it destroy all robots? The tool tip seems to suggest there is but I've never seen it.

Noir89 posted:

Sadly it does not, the last pop is not allowed to auto-migrate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Macichne Leainig posted:

Make habs count towards starbases and offset that with the void dweller origin not having that penalty or something.

This is the best way to do it, I think. As it stands, habitats are just free, lovely planets you can place anywhere.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of the god ray, is there actually a tech that makes it destroy all robots? The tool tip seems to suggest there is but I've never seen it.

Sadly it does not, the last pop is not allowed to auto-migrate.

Huh could have swore that worked before, sorry for bad info!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The space whales beat me to saving the pre-FTL species from an asteroid.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I suppose you'll be bringing the Tiyanki Conservation Act to law in the Galactic Community then. What good whales :3:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Macichne Leainig posted:

I suppose you'll be bringing the Tiyanki Conservation Act to law in the Galactic Community then. What good whales :3:

They broke the non interference policy… the galactic community votes to show retribution in kind.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That species is gonna have an interesting mythology.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Warmachine posted:

The space whales beat me to saving the pre-FTL species from an asteroid.

I had pirates spawn in the tiyanki home world system. Twice. They... Didn't last very long.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Anyone know of a mod to make science ships explore wormholes on their own? I hate hunting them down to find the galaxy's shortcuts

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

winterwerefox posted:

Anyone know of a mod to make science ships explore wormholes on their own? I hate hunting them down to find the galaxy's shortcuts
It would be nice if they added it as an option on the new auto menu.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

What's the general strategy early for keeping on top of consumer goods? I've played gestalts for so long I'm entirely not used to having that plate to spin, and I always feel like I'm having to commit so much of my early economy to this additional resource either via market buys or construction that I just feel considerably weaker than any machine or hive I normally play, especially with the loss of solar panels on top.

Every artisan pop or energy credit spent on them feels like such a bad return on investment when you're running an extremely tight early economy to the point it feels like a crap tradeoff in exchange for destiny traits and paragons later.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My general order of priority after getting to the point where I can specialize planets:
Research planets (usually my main planet)
Alloy planets
Mineral planets
Food planets
Consumer goods planets
Energy planets

You don't want a big surplus of consumer goods or energy credits, but you definitely want a big surplus of alloy and minerals-- alloy especially is easily traded for favor, credits, and whatever else you could ever want on demand making energy credit production very unnecessary. If you need to buy whatever for 25000 credits, just sell 50 alloy! Food is very much a "whatever" resource when I play.

That being said, consumer goods is basically a pop tax and you should be ready to do whatever you need to do to stay on top of keeping enough consumer goods around especially as you scale up, which is why you should have a consumer good planet that does nothing but make TVs or whatever.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Do AI empires ever take the Supremacist stance? I think I've played, literally, over 1000 hours (while doing other achievements) passively looking to cross that one off, and I've never seen an AI empire take that stance. Is there some combination of ethics/civics that will encourage an AI empire to take that stance, so i can just force-spawn those?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't really think so, because I often take that stance and I know you get diplomacy penalties with other Supremacist empires and I haven't seen that penalty ever pop up when I do pop that stance

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
They need to take the supremacy tradition. You can use the multiplayer trick to log in as one of those empires and change their policy to supremacy stance.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wilekat posted:

What's the general strategy early for keeping on top of consumer goods? I've played gestalts for so long I'm entirely not used to having that plate to spin, and I always feel like I'm having to commit so much of my early economy to this additional resource either via market buys or construction that I just feel considerably weaker than any machine or hive I normally play, especially with the loss of solar panels on top.

Every artisan pop or energy credit spent on them feels like such a bad return on investment when you're running an extremely tight early economy to the point it feels like a crap tradeoff in exchange for destiny traits and paragons later.
My strategy is that the first industrial planet stays as an industrial planet and I take the efficiency hit, and once everything else is as up and running as I can get it and my CG income starts to dwindle, I make a CG planet or two.

But really, my strategy is just accepting that for a decent chunk of the midgame, I'm going to be running a CG deficit and I'll have to trade for them or buy on the market to compensate, and just hoping I have enough surplus of other stuff (usually minerals or a strategic good I have no immediate use for) to subsidize it.

ilkhan posted:

It would be nice if they added it as an option on the new auto menu.
Also nice would be a way to search for wormholes (and L-Gates, ideally) that's not scrolling around the menu really slowly and hoping you see the icon.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Are there any mods that force an ai empire to keep the ethics I forced on them during an ideology war..at least until the truce is up? Its disheartening to have to fight a 100% war only to have them switch back completely within a few years. I've done this 3 times to my same neighbor in my game so far and they always revert to their original ethics. I just want a someone to create a federation with me without huge penalties for opposing ethics :(

I get that, realistically, a government imposed by an outside empire is weak, but there should be an option to subsidize/fight its revolts until they can convert enough pops to maintain their hold. As it stands I do not see the point of even having ideological wars as an option.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

BigRoman posted:

Are there any mods that force an ai empire to keep the ethics I forced on them during an ideology war..at least until the truce is up? Its disheartening to have to fight a 100% war only to have them switch back completely within a few years. I've done this 3 times to my same neighbor in my game so far and they always revert to their original ethics. I just want a someone to create a federation with me without huge penalties for opposing ethics :(

I get that, realistically, a government imposed by an outside empire is weak, but there should be an option to subsidize/fight its revolts until they can convert enough pops to maintain their hold. As it stands I do not see the point of even having ideological wars as an option.

I mean, then you're not looking very far.

The government will instantly like you, a lot, so you can go and vassalize it or invite it into the federation, or whatever else you had in mind.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Yami Fenrir posted:

The government will instantly like you, a lot, so you can go and vassalize it or invite it into the federation, or whatever else you had in mind.

I think they're wanting to forcibly convert the pops to their preferred ideology, so the government doesn't just revert to their original ideology just because that's what all of their pops want.

But unfortunately space racists gonna stay racist and the game doesn't really support forcing pops to change their minds even if you conquer them and enable the Maximum D&D edict... with the exception of the gimmick spiritualist colossus beam, or assimilating them with genetic-ascended hivemind or Driven Assimilators.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you control the territory, you can just set up Deep Space Black Sites, install properly-minded Governors, and put negative pressure on the wrongthinking political parties.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

If you control the territory, you can just set up Deep Space Black Sites, install properly-minded Governors, and put negative pressure on the wrongthinking political parties.

Oh, I can do that for sure. But I have enough of the galaxy/population, and until I can get enough free pops to staff the necessary bureaucratic offices and labs to offset the empire sprawl, I'm hesitant to do so. Its more of a case where I want an ideological ally to form a trade federation with. I tried releasing one of my vassals to do so, but that created a loss of trust/opinion, so I needed to raise relations before they would accept a federation, and before I could solve that they asked to be vassalized by another ai empire.

I just want a space buddy :smith:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Playing a new game as driven assimilater and running into my familiar problem: rapidly having more pops than jobs to work them. Lol. Keeps them construction crews busy.

It's 2250'ish and I've gobbled up a couple empires. First an organic attacked the skynet I was going to integrate, so they had to die. Then a purifier empire ate the skynet while I was assimilating the organics. I ate the skynet section that split me from the purifiers, and right when we truced a rogue servitor empire invited me to help ruin the purifiers.

The planets are mostly mediocre, but I'm sitting on a dozen already and still outgrowing the construction crews. The skynet had a starter machine world that got wiped out so I'm going to have to rebuild that from scratch.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

BigRoman posted:

Oh, I can do that for sure. But I have enough of the galaxy/population, and until I can get enough free pops to staff the necessary bureaucratic offices and labs to offset the empire sprawl, I'm hesitant to do so. Its more of a case where I want an ideological ally to form a trade federation with. I tried releasing one of my vassals to do so, but that created a loss of trust/opinion, so I needed to raise relations before they would accept a federation, and before I could solve that they asked to be vassalized by another ai empire.

I just want a space buddy :smith:
The new government that forms after you ideology war them ought to like you more than enough to join a Federation.

Otherwise, I dunno. Send an envoy to improve relations, get your foot in the door by exchanging embassies, and work up from there? If you can build trust, that'll count for a lot. And don't the good guy civics get some poo poo that increases their ethic attractiveness to neighbors?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been federation building since federations became a thing and let me tell you. You have a metric poo poo ton of options.
Including but not limited to, bribery, divide and vassalize, being an enemy of their enemy, being a sugar daddy, or the ultimate power move, become the galactic emperor and force the whole galactic community to be your friend.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Yami Fenrir posted:

If you win an ideology war the new gov't has a "recently liberated" modifier, which is -1000 to vassalization requests (Federations are probably fine).

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
You guys are right, I can offer federation to the guys I recently won an ideology war with. I think I'm just too hung up on the "opposing ethics" federation unity debuff (don't have much experience with federations).

I still maintain you should have a support government diplomacy option which allows you to subsidize the economy of an empire you just won an ideology war against in exchange for them not swapping ethics at the government level. Kind of like a bulwark 30% resources deal, but for hearts and minds instead of ships and stations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

BigRoman posted:

You guys are right, I can offer federation to the guys I recently won an ideology war with. I think I'm just too hung up on the "opposing ethics" federation unity debuff (don't have much experience with federations).
It's extremely minor. Your unity will suck for a bit but that's just the new member blues, once everyone learns to get along you'll level up just fine (and you can assign envoys to speed up the process).

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
You could conquer them, make a sector, split that off as a vassal, then federate them, maybe?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

If you win an ideology war the new gov't has a "recently liberated" modifier, which is -1000 to vassalization requests (Federations are probably fine).

Huh, that's... probably not new, but hasn't always been a thing.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 15, 2023

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Yami Fenrir posted:

Huh, that's... probably not new, but hasn't alwaya been a thing.

I just discovered it myself a couple days ago, I think it lasts for a decade after the Liberation War.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Quick question: If I offer subjugation to my only non-vassal ally in my federation, will the federation disband? If I kick them out? I had the Awoken events fire and then they're offering to be my subject. Stupid me, I accepted without looking where they had popped up. Not until the militaristic fallen empire declared war on him (and thus me) out of nowhere did I realize that their new homeworld was right on the FE's border in the no-no zone. So being absolutely no match at all, I took the humiliation and leader death, and promptly kicked the Awoken out of my federation and dropped them as a subject... only for the one other free nation in my federation to immediately scoop them up as a subject and drag them right back into the federation.

It's been a particularly stressful gamerun as, completely unrelated, there was a machine revolution in a machine empire, so now there's three or four minors with no empire name and the "Despicable Neutral" description, who themselves seem to have a never-ending cycle of machine revolutions so every few months there's a pop-up yelling at me that the " " Nation has fallen, and they'll be replaced on the map with a new color & symbol but still nameless.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

God I wish there was some way to forcibly vassalize someone who was already a vassal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PittTheElder posted:

God I wish there was some way to forcibly vassalize someone who was already a vassal.

do you still automatically inherit all vassals when you subjugate an overlord, or did that change at some point?