Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Zombie Lemur posted:

Imagine if the NWO storyline went down the exact same way but with Darkside Hogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-3yDeIdrw

I think I played as this version of Hulk in one of the Dark Souls games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The 3 Garvin/Flair fights were a million times better than any Dusty/Flair fight ever was.

The 9/26/87 Garvin win over Flair by using a top rope sunset flip is :discourse:

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 15, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wrong thread lol

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I can't find it but the dungeon of doom clip where Kevin Sullivan meets The Master is one of my favorites. Just a weird fever dream that includes Sullivan running through the woods in his trunks.

This one is great because he somehow looks even more naked than if he was actually naked.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wasn't Dusty involved in WCW's early-mid 90s cinematic vignettes?
I think Foley described all the creative pitfalls from 'Lost in Yonkers' or whatever his scrapped segments were called. in his first book.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 15, 2023

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Wasn't it Regal that had the story about how the first time he met Dusty he'd been called to Dusty's office and when he got there Dusty was facing away from him in a chair naked? Dusty said something like, "I'm a star like Whitney Houston." and nothing else so Regal just left.

It's likely I've cobbled together a few different wrestling stories for this one.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

TheKingslayer posted:

Wasn't it Regal that had the story about how the first time he met Dusty he'd been called to Dusty's office and when he got there Dusty was facing away from him in a chair naked? Dusty said something like, "I'm a star like Whitney Houston." and nothing else so Regal just left.

It's likely I've cobbled together a few different wrestling stories for this one.

I imagine Regal doing a face like that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Animal-Mother posted:

He sees the steam, assumes this must mean the water is hot, and is perplexed by the fact it is NOT HOT. This is meant to indicate that this water is magical, the laws of physics in our world do not apply to the Dungeon of Doom.

Of course, why would he touch the water if he assumed it was steaming hot? This entire debacle is one of Terry Bollea's most flagrant abuses of his creative control clause.

Yeah sure, but the line read is just so loving bad and inappropriate. I seriously think it was supposed to be just a mildly surprised "oh, it's not hot" and Hulk decided to put his own award winning spin on it.

Did this Dungeon of Doom video also directly lead to the YE-TAY or was that later?

I remember The Giant was the other piece of bread in the Hogan meat sandwich, so maybe that would've been later?

E: poo poo or was it The Giant or some other large man?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 15, 2023

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Paul Wight did indeed win his first ever title with the help of a Yet-Tay run-in.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Paul Wight did indeed win his first ever title with the help of a Yet-Tay run-in.

In his first match in WCW (and possibly ever)!

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Rusty Shackelford posted:

In his first match in WCW (and possibly ever)!

Cagematch says he had a match in the WWA for their heavyweight title in December of 94, and considering he was trained by Larry Sharpe and WWA was owned by Sharpe, it was probably an event with less then 100 people who had no idea what they were seeing.

It's probably even more impressive that his first two matches were for two different feds main titles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I can't find it but the dungeon of doom clip where Kevin Sullivan meets The Master is one of my favorites. Just a weird fever dream that includes Sullivan running through the woods in his trunks.

"FADDAH!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

syzpid posted:

Cagematch says he had a match in the WWA for their heavyweight title in December of 94, and considering he was trained by Larry Sharpe and WWA was owned by Sharpe, it was probably an event with less then 100 people who had no idea what they were seeing.

It's probably even more impressive that his first two matches were for two different feds main titles.

This also describes most of WCW towards the end.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

To make it even dumber Giant didn't really win the title in the match vs Hogan, Hogan got DQed and then Jimmy Hart turned up to go "I had the rules changed so titles change hands on DQ new champ"

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 15, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

DeathChicken posted:

To make it even dumber Giant didn't really win the title in the match vs Hogan, Hogan got DQed and then Jimmy Hart turned up to go "I had the rules changed so titles change hands on DQ new champ"

And then, I believe, WCW officials were all like "Nah mate, that's bollocks" and stripped him of the title the following week anyway!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

And then, I believe, WCW officials were all like "Nah mate, that's bollocks" and stripped him of the title the following week anyway!

Is that why we got World War 3?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is that why we got World War 3?

In kayfabe yes, and then IRL Hogan called an audible so he wouldn’t “legit” lose the match.

This is how much work it took to get him to drop the belt.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Then Macho Man won the vacated belt and Hogan spent 5 minutes in the ring pantomiming "That's bullshit"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

Then Macho Man won the vacated belt and Hogan spent 5 minutes in the ring pantomiming "That's bullshit"

*Hogan mouthing the words and looking around desperately for crowd cheers that did not come in response*

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Numero6 posted:

I imagine Regal doing a face like that.

I would love a show that starred Regal as himself reenacting the funniest moments and run-ins of his career.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DeathChicken posted:

That’s such a funny clip because the crowd obviously loves Macho and hates Hogan. Always found it funny how much the WCW crowd took to Savage and not Hogan.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cdIwhxye4

that doesn't work for me, brother

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

That’s such a funny clip because the crowd obviously loves Macho and hates Hogan. Always found it funny how much the WCW crowd took to Savage and not Hogan.

Savage worked a southern style way better than Hogan did (who, to be fair, never really had to work it) and WCW fans responded to that better, I think. Savage spent the first part of his career in the south and when he was signed to the WWF he was working in Memphis. Also Hogan was just ridiculously shoved down the WCW fans' throats when he turned up, immediately becoming the Poochie.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
My favorite part is how does Hart mess up holding Mark Curtis until Anderson actually hits Flair. Whoever was on the Bell started ringing it cause Curtis clearly saw Anderson interfere in the match.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Also Hogan was just ridiculously shoved down the WCW fans' throats when he turned up, immediately becoming the Poochie.

you ain't kiddin, first Starrcade after Hogan shows up and he's main eventing against Ed Leslie.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Savage worked a southern style way better than Hogan did (who, to be fair, never really had to work it) and WCW fans responded to that better, I think. Savage spent the first part of his career in the south and when he was signed to the WWF he was working in Memphis. Also Hogan was just ridiculously shoved down the WCW fans' throats when he turned up, immediately becoming the Poochie.

Hogan did work in Memphis, just not for anywhere as long as Savage

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Probably didn’t help that Hulkamania had already peaked in WWF, diminishing returns would have been a problem even if he hadn’t jumped. Like he was definitely still popular with some- hell, Uncensored ‘96 did solid business- but he was on the downswing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Probably didn’t help that Hulkamania had already peaked in WWF, diminishing returns would have been a problem even if he hadn’t jumped. Like he was definitely still popular with some- hell, Uncensored ‘96 did solid business- but he was on the downswing.

Not just solid business the most PPV buys in WCW history! People love Z Gangsta.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hogan did work in Memphis, just not for anywhere as long as Savage

Yes, exactly. He spent the great bulk of his time elsewhere. Savage came up in it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
“You merely adopted the Memphis, Hogan. I was born to it.”

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Look at this guy, The Final Ultimate Solution, the man with the HEADS OF LETTUCE!!!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Completely hypothetical and based on nothing, but what would it have been like had Hogan chickened out on turning heel and they went with Macho to lead the nWo since he was also an ex-WWE guy?

Would it have become as big? Would Hogan just have elbowed his way in when he saw it was popular and made Macho the #2 guy in the stable, or even forced him out? Would he have stayed face and vanquished the nWo within a year?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Almost certainly the latter. It probably doesn't get as big without Hogan and getting the primary focus on WCW TV, and if it did get big Hogan comes in as the conquering hero like you said.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
macho was always more of a heel than a face and i dont think his heel turn would have had the effect that hogan, who had been a face since the 80's, would have had

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

“You merely adopted the Memphis, Hogan. I was born to it.”

You don't count as being from Memphis the territory unless you've brandished a gun wildly at a Waffle House at least once.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

Completely hypothetical and based on nothing, but what would it have been like had Hogan chickened out on turning heel and they went with Macho to lead the nWo since he was also an ex-WWE guy?

Would it have become as big? Would Hogan just have elbowed his way in when he saw it was popular and made Macho the #2 guy in the stable, or even forced him out? Would he have stayed face and vanquished the nWo within a year?

luger was the backup plan if hogan got cold feet. issue with hogan was he had no leverage to fight the heel turn when time came so it wasnt really worried about.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I think the WCW crowd saw Savage as a wrestler first and a character second and felt the opposite about Hogan. And like Dawgstar said, Hogan was shoved down everyone's throats while the fans were basically being told that their old favorites weren't important anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the japanese subtitles on this are fantastic because they just dont even attempt to translate 'its not hot!' and they translate the 'there's no hulkamaniacs here' as 'i no longer sense hulkamania's power...!'

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That's all our lives these days :(

(that's awesome, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Macho was a huge piece of poo poo, yes, but I can't help but feel bad for how much Hogan hosed with his pushes and all that. He couldn't shake that rear end in a top hat for anything.