Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Project ECCO just released today and I've played a few prompts already. I'm digging it so far! I was mainly drawn to it because I have a lot of empty dated planners to use up, but I think I'm gonna get some good enjoyment out of it. I'm more of a "discover the character as you write" kind of player so I'm having fun figuring out what kind of agent I want to be and what my Agency is like. I haven't really dug into the meat of the prompts yet, but I'm excited, I wasn't expecting the physical side of "you may have to destroy a page" but that's a neat feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CK07 posted:

Love my clearance Kaweco Perkeo, even though the nib is kinda stiff and scratchy. I also have a Parker Vector, which I like for its slim look and form factor, and an Ohto Celsus which just looks and feels classy as hell. I have some sepia ink cartridges for the Kaweco and the Celsus that I used to make my "character sheet" page for my Iron Valley game, and highlighted it with some tawny colored pencil - so satisfying! I think I've spent more annually at Jetpens than on clothes for about five years running. I should probably check out the fountain pen thread.

(note to all: Jetpens is like a ninja warrior course for impulse control, do not go there if you don't have disposable income to spend on poo poo like high-tech stickers and mechanical pencils that rotate the lead automatically so it's always pointy. It's not that everything is pricey, my Perkeo was $16 and the Vector was $12 on sale years ago - it's more that if you're a certain type of person, you will want to buy absolutely everything they carry. You know who you are)

And I just finally sprung for a few Blackwings after years of dragging my feet. It's ridiculous to spend that much on a pencil but I just wanted to see how different it was. Solo gaming has been a great excuse to use a bunch of stationery items I've been hoarding, and I've tried not to get TOO deep in buying new "equipment". Disregarding the giant pile of PDFs, that is.

As for journals, discbound all the way for me and my adhd. I can keep different games in separate tabbed sections, move poo poo around, add blank pages in wherever I want, or even just take all the pages out if I lose interest. Can just stick them in a file folder in case I ever want to go back and pick up that story again. I've been telling myself that if I'm still doing this in a year, THEN I can buy the $60 custom hole punch and make my own journal pages out of really nice paper.

I got a blackwing as part of an art subscription box lately and I really like it, but it's definitely not worth the cash as opposed to literally any other pencil. Nice though. Might get one someday again as a little luxury.

The UK-friendlier equivalent of Jetpens is Cult Pens. Likewise quite a wallet drain. Love it though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Project ECCO just released today and I've played a few prompts already. I'm digging it so far! I was mainly drawn to it because I have a lot of empty dated planners to use up, but I think I'm gonna get some good enjoyment out of it. I'm more of a "discover the character as you write" kind of player so I'm having fun figuring out what kind of agent I want to be and what my Agency is like. I haven't really dug into the meat of the prompts yet, but I'm excited, I wasn't expecting the physical side of "you may have to destroy a page" but that's a neat feature.

Oooo this looks fun! I don't have a planner but you could just write dates in the corners I suppose. Excellent thanks!

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
https://www.amazon.com/Fountain-Con...998667566&psc=1

This is my preferred fountain pen. I had to check the model last night.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

UwUnabomber posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Fountain-Con...998667566&psc=1

This is my preferred fountain pen. I had to check the model last night.

I've bought a few Jinhaos before and had not much luck getting them working, but I think I've been unlucky because I hear very good things.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I got a pack of ten smaller Jinhao pens once. Four of them worked. But that one has been a trooper.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

HopperUK posted:

I got a blackwing as part of an art subscription box lately and I really like it, but it's definitely not worth the cash as opposed to literally any other pencil. Nice though. Might get one someday again as a little luxury.

The UK-friendlier equivalent of Jetpens is Cult Pens. Likewise quite a wallet drain. Love it though.

Ultimately, I agree about the Blackwing. An unnecessary indulgence, but still somehow fun to have while it lasts.

Check out Choosing Keeping if you're in the UK and you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Everything is hand-wrapped in absolutely gorgeous paper, on top of being Very Fancy Goods in the first place.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Mercury Hat posted:

snags a community copy

oh yeah I'm definitely spending more time doing everything but playing the games lol. Thanks for the recommendation!
edit: ooo bonus, I can use my planner I totally abandoned this year like 3 months in

pen talk: I really like the sharpie felt pens

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mercury Hat posted:

Oh, snap...I can use all my partly used planners for this.

Pen: I have a couple of Kawecos that I love, but my heart belongs to my Pilot CH72. Nothing else I own writes like it. I also have a selection of Lamy pens, but they all write a little wet for my preferences.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mercury Hat posted:

I might have to pick up a day planner when I'm out today...

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
oh my god

drat I wish I had kept all those planners I never used over the years lmao.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I never buy dated planners because I know I won't use them! Idiot!!!

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
new ironsworn hack based on vampires just updated:

https://miraclem.itch.io/elegy

I'm still deep into my iron valley game but I wanna do this too now lol

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I just picked up Captain's Log from Modiphius - solo Startrek using their 2d20 system.

Just had a quick skim of the pdf as I can't currently use the pc for long periods of time due to having module broken an arm.

Designed for any era, life path based character creation. Lots of ships, aliens, and mission types.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've decided to use my time off with to set up a fantasy game using Worlds without number, but in a setting of my creation.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Angrymog posted:

I just picked up Captain's Log from Modiphius - solo Startrek using their 2d20 system.

Just had a quick skim of the pdf as I can't currently use the pc for long periods of time due to having module broken an arm.

Designed for any era, life path based character creation. Lots of ships, aliens, and mission types.

Crap, and got it, too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Angrymog posted:

Hell, I might have to get this. I already have Starforged which I should play...

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

We got a rolling blackout in our neighborhood. Nice to have physical book for Five Leagues handy to continue the skullduggery while awaiting reconnection. Atmosphere? We're soaking in it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Thousand Year Old Campfire is now for sale.

The author is also launching Five Hundred Year Old Vampire tomorrow. He sure has a theme.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Angrymog posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Captain's Log is great.

Thousand Year Old Campfire looks incredible and only five bucks for the PDF!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been thinking about doing Delve but using the rather hilarious stock of pixel art assets I've gotten from itch.io and the like over the years, rather than drawing. Would anyone be interested in seeing the results?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uh, yes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

girl dick energy posted:

I've been thinking about doing Delve but using the rather hilarious stock of pixel art assets I've gotten from itch.io and the like over the years, rather than drawing. Would anyone be interested in seeing the results?

Absolutely. I want to see how it works because I can't draw but have been curious about Delve.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

Accidental meaning is sometimes the best interpretation

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Too bad Captain's Log isn't available as PDF only yet. I guess I'll have to wait until August.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

girl dick energy posted:

Definitely, I had the same inkling minus the assets so I'm very interested in what you came up with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, I ended up using DawnLike, a set of Creative Commons roguelike assets, since it includes several kinds of dwarves already. I'm only a few turns in, needed to work out some kinks (such as deciding to build 'up' instead of down because of the 3/4th view).

I'd say it's working pretty well. Each room is 100x100, which is the perfect size for a 6x6 grid of 16x16 tiles and a 2px border. I had to learn very quickly to make due with what I had, and to not let myself waste too much time on inconsequential niggles like things not perfectly aligning to the grid, or my system for adding 'doors' into walls leaving floor lines. It's therapeutic, in a way, being able to just... let something be imperfect.

If I have a complaint with Delve so far, it's that it seems extraordinarily swingy. My very first draw was the King of Diamonds, which gave me an embarrassment of riches, but I was just as likely to breach into an underground river or gas chamber that could've wiped out my dwarves almost before I began, or a Two of Diamonds for a handful of old pennies. I've got a feeling like I'm going to recommend the game to anyone who's interested... with the caveat that you treat the rules like rough suggestions, including being very willing to mulligan away useless or game-ending cards.

...actually, I think I might have an idea for a mulligan system. Lemme chew on it a bit and I'll get back to y'all about it with the next update.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

girl dick energy posted:

If I have a complaint with Delve so far, it's that it seems extraordinarily swingy. My very first draw was the King of Diamonds, which gave me an embarrassment of riches, but I was just as likely to breach into an underground river or gas chamber that could've wiped out my dwarves almost before I began, or a Two of Diamonds for a handful of old pennies. I've got a feeling like I'm going to recommend the game to anyone who's interested... with the caveat that you treat the rules like rough suggestions, including being very willing to mulligan away useless or game-ending cards.

That matches my experience with Umbra, so I'm not surprised. Glad you're enjoying it though, map looks good.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, screw you very much, this is awesome, and I cannot wait to start playing this. The system looks good!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, my brain completely ran away with houserule ideas for Delve, which I... think is a good sign? It does scratch that Dwarf Fortress itch, which is nice.

GDE's brain posted:

Delve Variant Rule - Ancient Ruin
An optional houserule to provide luck mitigation during the early game.

No special setup is needed for this rule, and it can even be included into a game already in progress.

Whenever you draw a non-Ace card for any reason except simulating a dice roll, if you don't like the result, you can instead set the card aside and draw again. You can have up to three cards set aside this way at once. These set-aside cards are locked away, deep underground. The next time you draw A♥ or A♦ while exploring, apply the effects of all the set-aside cards to the room as if you'd drawn them while exploring. If this would create a seemingly impossible or contradictory result, such as with multiple Remnants or Natural Formations, use your best judgment on how to incorporate them into a single concept.

This rule ceases to function once the Jokers are shuffled into the deck.

I suspect this would also work with Anna Blackwell's other games, but having not played them yet myself, I can't say for certain.

I've also come up with a couple other house rules that I've added on, to add rooms that fill a niche I thought was missing, and to make some of the weaker buildings more competitive while also mitigating luck. Unless otherwise noted, these effects are added to the room's existing effects. Bolded/underlined text modifies or overwrites existing effects.

New Rooms posted:

Trade Depot - 20♥ + 10♦ (2 Grid Spaces)
A place to welcome foreign merchants who want to buy our poo poo.
This room counts as an Entrance for all purposes. For each Trade Depot you have, you may trade one additional time per turn.

Workshop - 15♥
This room is filled with the sounds of artisans hard at work making useless crap to sell to tourists.
When building a workshop, you must choose a purpose, Stonecutting or Gemcutting.
A Stonecutting Workshop allows you to trade 1 Resource (1♥) for 1 Trade Good (1♦), instead of half a Trade Good.
A Gemcutting Workshop allows you to trade 1 Trade Good (1♦) for 3 Resources (3♥), instead of two Resources.
Even if you can trade multiple times per turn (such as from Trade Depots), you can only use each effect once per Workshop per turn.

Modified Rooms posted:

Kitchen
Units allocated to a room connected to a kitchen get +50% STR during combat, regardless of their current location. Does not function for Golems, Cannons, or Skull Dwarves.

Overseer's Office
When exploring in the same column as this building, draw two cards and pick one. Shuffle the other back into the deck, then resolve the picked card normally. Jokers must be picked, if possible.

Shrine Room
Your first Shrine of Fortune increases the value of all ♥ and ♦ cards during exploration by 3 for the first shrine, your second increases them by an additional 2, and your third by an additional 1. Further Shrines of Fortune have no effect.

Pump
Liquid and gas cannot move through or damage this room. Pumps can be placed in existing rooms.

Barricades
Enemy units must destroy the barricade before being able to damage any other units in the room. Barricades that have been damaged or destroyed can be repaired after combat for half their building cost. If you choose not to repair a barricade, make a note somewhere of how much STR it has left. You can still repair it later if you choose to.

And I modified/replaced a couple of the Inventions as well because them being purely negative bothered me.

Modified Inventions posted:

Ace: It's alive! Your inventors have created a monster, a twisted amalgamation of metal and flesh. And yet... it can think. You can either respect it or condemn it. If you respect it, it takes over the Inventor's Lab as its lair, attacking anything that enters. If you condemn it, it seeks to escape by force, begin combat immediately. In either case, treat it as an Ancient Monstrosity with 200 STR but no traits. If it dies in any way except lava, gain 50♥ and 50♦.

Jack: One of your inventors has gone mad and disappeared into the hold, screaming something about “destroying us all”. The next time you draw a Black Joker, the madman's ravings prove to be true. Generate the Ancient Monstrosity and give it an additional trait, but delay its appearance until the end of your next Explore Phase (even if you don't explore that turn).

Edit:

The fort after twelve turns. Shout-out to me using my houserule to keep an underground lake from flooding my kennels, and then getting slapped in the face by karma when that same lake came back directly beneath the fresh new Overseer's Office I just built. This may or may not be why I created the 'draw two, pick one' houserule modification to the building.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 18, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh poo poo, I thought this was the Ironsworn Delve. I gotta pick this up to read at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought this was the Ironsworn Delve. I gotta pick this up to read at least.
It's currently $7 on Itch.io, but it's also been in a ton of charity bundles, so if you did any of those, check there first.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Hell, I did too. Maybe this will be a good way to get me using Dungeondraft more

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That Delve map is looking kickass, love it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

girl dick energy posted:

It's currently $7 on Itch.io, but it's also been in a ton of charity bundles, so if you did any of those, check there first.

Yep, solid.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Captain’s Log product description says it can be played co-op – what’s the difference there to the regular 2d20 game?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Siivola posted:

Captain’s Log product description says it can be played co-op – what’s the difference there to the regular 2d20 game?

"Captain's Log posted:

HEY! THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN STAR TREK ADVENTURES!
That’s right! Players of Star Trek Adventures will note these rules are slightly different than what they are used to. Only one point of Momentum or Threat can be generated during a task roll in Captain’s Log. In addition, complications work differently, as explained on page 193.

The play mechanics for Captain’s Log are different because they serve the gaming needs for solo RPGs, a growing genre. The mechanics in this book serve to spark the imagination and drive the narration of a story like you would see in a Star Trek show or movie. Star Trek Adventures’s game modules normally provide details up front about the various scenes gamemasters can run their players through, prebuilt statistics, and a suggested conclusion. Captain’s Log, on the other hand, encourages you to start with a few random rolls and let the story form as you go. You may be surprised how your imagination fills in the blanks and helps you create an epic story. Chapter 6 provides guidance on how to follow the “rhythm” of a Star Trek show so that you know when to begin a story, ramp up action, and reach a satisfying conclusion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I might run a CYOA with this game both to practice my writing and pixel arting and to show off Delve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thank you! I got the STA starter set last year but was kind of turned off by the very D&D adventure. Still want to game some Trek tho, and I'm spending a lot of time at home at the moment anyway, so… :retrogames: I guess.