Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
JERICHO VS KOMANDER 0 0%
SAMMY AND DANNY VS CASSIDY AND DARBY 8 11.59%
MAX AND ADAM VS BRIAN AND BIG 24 34.78%
RUBY VS SKYE 1 1.45%
NICK VS SWERVE 36 52.17%
Total: 69 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Like, Ibushi is exciting to me because I know who he is but y'all are severely out of touch if you think the average person knows or cares about him. Sorry!

Dumb take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

You heard the confused silence from the crowd when it was announced...

Oh.

Oh.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I don’t know if the average WWF fan is gonna know or care about this Y2J guy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Of course people will know Ibushi, he wrestled in WWE

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

IMHO they did the reveal perfectly, too.

You get a quick video package showing he's a big deal. Kenny shrugs off getting his rear end kicked because of how big a deal this is. They explain just enough in the video package, then give you his name.

You then have an entire week to look him up online, see his past matches, and discover his history with Kenny and why he's such a big deal.

This is a huge, fundamental difference between AEW and WWE and has been since day one. AEW acknowledges that wrestling exists outside of AEW, that people have histories before AEW, and that those histories can play into things in AEW. The average person can figure it out. WWE does not acknowledge wrestling outside of WWE, you have no history outside of WWE, unless it's a vague "he wrestled on the independent circuit" or if you were in the UFC.

There is not one person who watched Dynamite and said "who the hell is that?" without either having a friend explain who Ibushi is, or realizing they could just google it. They gave you enough to realize he's a huge deal.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm just saying I think spending the first hour of Dynamite actually doing a recap of the Golden Lovers stuff would be beneficial! Not everyone watches Japanese wrestling. I spent a lot of Forbidden Door explaining to some friends who the Japanese wrestlers were and why they mattered. It helped and they got into it, but the experience of this forum is not necessarily the experience of the viewer.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I don’t know if the average WWF fan is gonna know or care about this Y2J guy

lol how disingenuous. WCW in America was as big/bigger than WWF. Not comparable to puro vs. AEW.

A Fancy Hat posted:

You then have an entire week to look him up online, see his past matches, and discover his history with Kenny and why he's such a big deal.

This is a huge, fundamental difference between AEW and WWE and has been since day one. AEW acknowledges that wrestling exists outside of AEW, that people have histories before AEW, and that those histories can play into things in AEW. The average person can figure it out. WWE does not acknowledge wrestling outside of WWE, you have no history outside of WWE, unless it's a vague "he wrestled on the independent circuit" or if you were in the UFC.

There is not one person who watched Dynamite and said "who the hell is that?" without either having a friend explain who Ibushi is, or realizing they could just google it. They gave you enough to realize he's a huge deal.

This is insane. Why should people have to Google people and spend a week doing wrestling history research to understand who a person is? Show it on TV! I literally only know Ibushi because I happened to watch that Golden Lovers youtube doc thing awhile back. Otherwise, like, there's only vague "THIS GUY IS IMPORTANT" which is just as bad as what WWE does.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 18, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

Condescending and moronic. Well done.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Like, I guess it's dumb or whatever. I dunno. I just want AEW to succeed with more casual viewers. Sorry for bringing it up.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

You underestimate how much the "casual fan" knows, especially the "casual AEW fan". The company has a partnership with NJPW. Forbidden Door is one of the most anticipated shows of the year. The audience goes loving haywire every time any Japanese fella walks through the curtain. The AEW audience, casual or otherwise, might just have a clue about who one of the most prolific Japanese wrestlers of the last decade is.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Especially one so closely linked with Kenny's career

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'm just saying I think spending the first hour of Dynamite actually doing a recap of the Golden Lovers stuff would be beneficial! Not everyone watches Japanese wrestling. I spent a lot of Forbidden Door explaining to some friends who the Japanese wrestlers were and why they mattered. It helped and they got into it, but the experience of this forum is not necessarily the experience of the viewer.

lol how disingenuous. WCW in America was as big/bigger than WWF. Not comparable to puro vs. AEW.

This is insane. Why should people have to Google people and spend a week doing wrestling history research to understand who a person is? Show it on TV! I literally only know Ibushi because I happened to watch that Golden Lovers youtube doc thing awhile back. Otherwise, like, there's only vague "THIS GUY IS IMPORTANT" which is just as bad as what WWE does.

"spend a week doing research" there are like 10 min vids that can bring you up to speed. also if you've been watching AEW for a few years and not know anything about NJPW or Ibushi then just lol.

NJPW is bigger than it's ever been, it's tiring to pretend it's just some indie fed somewhere. it's also not AEW's responsibility to explain its importance to dumbbells who are okay with watching loving Eli Drake say 'yeah' every week. nobody here gives a gently caress about catering to "casuals"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

plato's cave but the shadows have "pro wrestling that appeals to the casual fan" written on them political cartoon style

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah, I get it. The experience of my friends is probably not the experience of most AEW fans I guess. Apologies. No need to be dicks.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Like, I guess it's dumb or whatever. I dunno. I just want AEW to succeed with more casual viewers. Sorry for bringing it up.

casual viewers can't watch the show because when they turn it on for the first time every wrestler will be new and confusing to them and they'll be too scared to continue watching

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Yeah, I get it. The experience of my friends is probably not the experience of most AEW fans I guess. Apologies. No need to be dicks.

People get hostile when this comes up because it gets tossed around in bad faith a lot, and its one of those arguments thats been done to death at this point.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
there are 9 other people in the match. You don't have to know anything about Ibushi to want to watch it. Then Ibushi is in the match and does some cool poo poo and then you care about him.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jackie D posted:

People get hostile when this comes up because it gets tossed around in bad faith a lot, and its one of those arguments thats been done to death at this point.

I guess I haven't seen that myself, so I apologize. I love AEW. I want my friends to get more into it. I worry about the company and experiences outside my own. Wasn't trying to stir poo poo. Probably a bad mental health day to post on the internet. Sorry, y'all.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

don't do this it was a joke

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 18, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

It was the "Sorry!" for me. Only one way to read that and I have pretty low patience with the 'casual fan' argument. I will humbly apologize for calling you a Moron, and we can continue on to better days ahead. May the sun set extra sweetly tonight.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

don't do this either

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 18, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fiduciary

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/wrestlenomics/status/1681330870794199040

Half a Mil Phil does it again. BotB held up pretty well for being 3 irrelevant matches.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The casual fan argument is nonsense because if you tell the fans someone is a big deal the fans will believe you. Chris Jericho was a midcarder in WCW who never sniffed the main event and his trajectory completely changed in his debut but sure fine it’s disingenuous. Then I’ll use the example of any of the big NXT debuts who showed up on the main roster and they make a big deal out of since less than a quarter of their audience watches NXT.

No one wondered if they were losing the casual fan when Kevin Owens or Shinsuke debuted on the main roster

It literally happens like a dozen times per year on WWE programming between the royal rumble and everything else

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
If people in Saskatoon - a flyover city in Canada - knew who Kota was the there should be no worries about how other crowds will react.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know if any wrestler exists outside of :wardlow:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

yea ok posted:

https://twitter.com/wrestlenomics/status/1681330870794199040

Half a Mil Phil does it again. BotB held up pretty well for being 3 irrelevant matches.

Unexpected technical issues are a draw.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The only question I have about Kota for tomorrow is how much does this guy weigh?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

What’s the over/under on Ibushi somehow disappearing and getting lost while in an Uber with Kenny and Nakazawa sitting on either side of him in the back?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'm just saying I think spending the first hour of Dynamite actually doing a recap of the Golden Lovers stuff would be beneficial!

They couldn't do this on that dynamite since the reveal was done in the last minutes of dynamite. The other shows like Collision, ROH and Rampage are kind of in their own separate universes so it wouldn't make sense to do recaps there.

There might be some things on this upcoming dynamite but in my opinion, I don't think that too much needs to be known about ibushi, just that he's a beautiful crazy man that can do beautiful crazy moves... which we will see at blood and guts.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

A Fancy Hat posted:

The only question I have about Kota for tomorrow is how much does this guy weigh?

he will be worth his weight in gold.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

haunted bong posted:

What’s the over/under on Ibushi somehow disappearing and getting lost while in an Uber with Kenny and Nakazawa sitting on either side of him in the back?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:hmmyes:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Heard Tony Khan is personally walking Ibushi everywhere on one of those toddler leashes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

aew doesnt have casual fans lol. except maybe in a few of the bumblefuck towns they went to recently

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Ibushi shows up to Blood and Guts with Shaq, having accidentally discovered the "In-between world" that links AEW with the rest of reality while walking from the hotel to his rental car.

He also shows up with the Codyvator.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Same number of sides in a golden triangle :aaa:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Ibushi is taken out before the match by a rogue Dippin Dots cart.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Ibushi runs into Aja Kong on a random street again.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Like, Ibushi is exciting to me because I know who he is but y'all are severely out of touch if you think the average person knows or cares about him. Sorry!

He's about as famous as Kenny Omega or Hangman Adam Page or PAC to the average person. Do what you will with that info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The whole time kota ibushi is on tv, they should be calling him "aew's newest superstar" "the golden god" kota "freakin" ibushi, who just loves to have fun