Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

I still love my 20+ year old tactic of “tranq dart and hide in a corner while everyone takes a nap.” Then sneaking through the pile of bodies and picking all their pockets.
Doing this for the subway hostage crisis more often than not results in all of the NSFs falling face-down head-to-toe along the platform warning track, and it will never fail to make me laugh.

Once MJ-12 show up I Dragon's Tooth them like a kung-fu movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

doesn't the laser sight completely remove the assault rifle's spread? memories running around with a silenced, laser-sighted assault rifle killing enemies with single clicks on their heads are some of the most distinct ones i have of this game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
With one or two points of Rifle skill, the assault rifle does pretty good damage. Given that you'll find mountains of ammo for it, it makes a good general purpose weapon.

The sniper rifle makes you a god among men, but there's nowhere near enough ammo to use it all the time.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Between the tunes and just a general itch, I need to play again. What is the best Vanilla+ mod/setup in TYOOL 2032?

The thread seems to enjoy Biomod. Get GMDX if you want a greater challenge.

Revision has some better graphics but more annoying map layouts. But you said vanilla so I'm guessing that's out anyway.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The System Shock remake actually came out. I know, I'm shocked too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/System_Shock/

Haven't played it yet but I'm watching FuryForged stream it on Twitch rn.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Is good. Was enjoying it so much I died to a mine and realized I haven't saved in over an hour. Add timed autosaves to remakes you cowards.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cynic Jester posted:

Is good. Was enjoying it so much I died to a mine and realized I haven't saved in over an hour. Add timed autosaves to remakes you cowards.

They really kept to the original, which I appreciate. If you had shown me screens or motion of this game with no context, I would have immediately known that it was a modernised SS1. That said, I think that Enhanced still has value.

Auto-save would be a sensible addition.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Save early, save often!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Smashing F5 every 10 seconds and keeping multiple saves like the Lord commands

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's one thing I appreciate from newer games, is trying to curb compulsive quicksaving via novel save systems. It's a bad habit from the 90's, for sure.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Back in the day before I started playing Shifter/Biomod/GMDX I was doing a vanilla run, and it didn’t occur to me that this older game didn’t auto save. Died in Castle Clinton from a dumb mistake and lost an hour of progress because I hadn’t saved at all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Eason the Fifth posted:

:yeah:

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Tungsten posted:

doesn't the laser sight completely remove the assault rifle's spread?

Yep, unless you also add a scope mod

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Eason the Fifth posted:

quotin dis

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I was burned on the concept when in TRON 2.0 I quicksaved after throwing my disc at a vital NPC. I think that game only had one quicksave slot though

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
So what's the deal with JC consuming aug canisters and upgrades? Does he just crack them open like a beer and chug the glowy stuff down?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

obviously suppositories

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Doc Hawkins posted:

obviously suppositories

Correct. Same as the canisters from the Geneforge quintet.

Superhuman power starts with the arse.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

Superhuman power starts with the arse.

My rear end is augmented.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"You mechs may have copper plumbing to reroute your fear of diarrhea, but I've got buns of steel"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

aniviron posted:

My rear end is augmented.

he calls it his "inventory"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Angry_Ed posted:

"You mechs may have copper plumbing to reroute your fear of diarrhea, but I've got buns of steel"

I wanted a kaiser roll, it give me buns of steel.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

JustJeff88 posted:

I wanted a kaiser roll, it give me buns of steel.

Your hands might have slipped.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

La pita Machine

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Scholtz posted:

La pita Machine

:emptyquote:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Scholtz posted:

La pita Machine

:hmmyes:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Take your best shot, Flatbread Woman

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Late to music chat but it took me listening to the soundtrack outside of a playthrough to realize this track is actually longer than the time it takes for a finger to go to the quickload hotkey, and I had been missing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qDgZtiPHNA

e: Does this game still run fine on Windows 11 with just the basic widescreen etc mods? I like to play as vanilla as possible. Realizing I haven't played through since 2016 and suddenly getting the urge again.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I installed Windows 11 earlier in the week and one of the first things I did was get Kentie's launcher and run Deus Ex. It gets a bit persnickety if you hit escape while a message is playing but otherwise works fine.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tbh if Warren Spector was so horrified about hearing a player decided to quickload and see what the other dialogue option does, he probably should have made sure an actual autosave system was added to the game, or at least made the game do something besides boot you to the title screen when you die

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Assault rifle at max level is really fun and feels powerful

But I assume thats the case for most weapons at max level

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

neosloth posted:

Assault rifle at max level is really fun and feels powerful

But I assume thats the case for most weapons at max level

Nah, the GEP gun feels that way regardless of skill. The flamethrower and plasma gun, by contrast, feel underwhelming regardless of skill.

Similarly, the DTS is good with even one level of Low-Tech, and the crowbar is just better for combat than the knife.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Get the mod that fixes the plasma rifle's damage. Makes it like the GEP gun, destroyer of worlds the way it was intended. Also fixes the PS20, since they use the same projectile.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

aniviron posted:

Get the mod that fixes the plasma rifle's damage.

There's kind of a lot of mods in the world; is this one a part of GMDX?

Related: can you combine LDDP with GMDX?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I can't seem to find the standalone mod that fixes the plasma damage anymore, which is a shame. Sounds like it'd be fairly simple to fix if you have the right know-how: https://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11617

Searching seems to suggest that GMDX does fix it though; or rather, since it changes the balance on everything anyway they make it closer to the original. Pre-bug values are 120 damage per shot, the bugged values are 24 per shot. Not sure what it is in GMDX.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Does anyone know a graphics mod (widescreen, at least 720 res) that I can use without modifying the .exe? I am using Nano mod, which has its own .exe, and this game for all its merits is a bit hard on the eyes on modern hardware without some sweetening.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

JustJeff88 posted:

Does anyone know a graphics mod (widescreen, at least 720 res) that I can use without modifying the .exe? I am using Nano mod, which has its own .exe, and this game for all its merits is a bit hard on the eyes on modern hardware without some sweetening.

You could try this. It needs the DirectX10 or better to work. Unzip into the Textures folder in your install directory and it should work.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Captain Walker posted:

Nah, the GEP gun feels that way regardless of skill. The flamethrower and plasma gun, by contrast, feel underwhelming regardless of skill.

Similarly, the DTS is good with even one level of Low-Tech, and the crowbar is just better for combat than the knife.

Any foe not immune to flames will immediately stop fighting when hit by the flamethrower, so it's functionally an instant kill. Still, the range is very short, so the DTS takes its place midway.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Flames may go out on strong enemies before they die, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Augh
Ough
Augh
Ough
Augh
Ough
Augh