Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've hit the point in a game where there's not much more territory to expand in but I got plenty of worlds to manage so I'm just hittin' those meters like a phone game, under this immortal god-emperor the pops will have fuckin INFRASTRUCTURE. Planetary rings for everyone!

Resort Worlds I'm not sure how useful they really are, but they are fun flavour, and it's nice to have one planet not needing sector micromanagement so much. Given the habitability bonus it also seems a great idea for a world that's of a climate your main species isn't usually suited for.

Also wondering if I'm in a rut with my robots. Especially for playthroughs where I don't intend on upgrading them, I usually go with Efficient Processors, Durable, Bulky and Custom-Made. Seems a sensible way to do it? I cannot anywhere near be assed micromanaging specialties so they're good at whatever they end up doing, and I'm pretty sure lower upkeep saves me big in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've hit the point in a game where there's not much more territory to expand in but I got plenty of worlds to manage so I'm just hittin' those meters like a phone game, under this immortal god-emperor the pops will have fuckin INFRASTRUCTURE. Planetary rings for everyone!

Resort Worlds I'm not sure how useful they really are, but they are fun flavour, and it's nice to have one planet not needing sector micromanagement so much. Given the habitability bonus it also seems a great idea for a world that's of a climate your main species isn't usually suited for.

Also wondering if I'm in a rut with my robots. Especially for playthroughs where I don't intend on upgrading them, I usually go with Efficient Processors, Durable, Bulky and Custom-Made. Seems a sensible way to do it? I cannot anywhere near be assed micromanaging specialties so they're good at whatever they end up doing, and I'm pretty sure lower upkeep saves me big in the long run.

I always just modify species to be generically good all-rounders. That's a combo of robot traits I've used many times.

I just can't be arsed to do more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The global Amenity bonus from a resort world is legitimately strong, it's great for a smaller world you hadn't decided to settle earlier. It'd nice if you could do it in the early game when it would be extremely strong though.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Whats the point of sectors anymore now that governers are garbage? Also correct me if I am wrong but does generals even have a point anymore either?

I am still playing now and then but the leader system after the patch is absolute garbage, especially if you like me don't own the dlc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I always try and put my resort world on a gaia world or at least somewhere with the natural beauty modifier, preferably both.

Being a few leaders above the cap isn't too bad but I haven't even considered hiring a general ever since that patch.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I never hired Generals before the patch. I always used the bare minimum of armies to take a planet and that's after I leave it pockmarked with craters. Now that planets can surrender to bombardment armies are basically pointless.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Poil posted:

I always try and put my resort world on a gaia world or at least somewhere with the natural beauty modifier, preferably both.

I agree that this makes the most logical sense, but, amusingly, naming it a resort world gives +100% habitability. Technically, it's most optimal to make your shittiest eligible planet your resort world. "Come see the wonders of the deadly radiation storms!"

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Horace Kinch posted:

You can keep assigning leaders, going over the cap adds a small upkeep/exp penalty. Society Research has options buried in there to increase the cap.

The upkeep penalty is fine but the exp penalty feels crippling, what's the point of hiring leaders if they never advance to the cool abilities?

The new leader tradition tree feels almost mandatory now because of the extra leader slots and let's face it, there aren't many options that can compete with it. The buffs from a single high level governor in a new sector is practically equivalent to an entire tree by itself.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I think they did try to make generals more attractive as leaders by giving them the spycraft stuff. Espionage is pretty anemic in this game, but if it's something you're interested in, having like the one general for a council position seems worthwhile at least.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't own the spycraft dlc so that's utterly worthless to me. :v:

You do get a bunch of extra experience gain to counter the penalty but there's no easy and simple way to find how much the total is. Opening an unrelated window and hovering the mouse cursor over a leader's xp bar and counting it up yourself is not those two things.

Stupid third baol digsite refused to spawn. Again.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Or just eat the penalties and staff your government with the people you need. It's manageable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zurai posted:

I agree that this makes the most logical sense, but, amusingly, naming it a resort world gives +100% habitability. Technically, it's most optimal to make your shittiest eligible planet your resort world. "Come see the wonders of the deadly radiation storms!"

I like to think of it as like a ski lodge or even island resort; environments that actually would be pretty deadly and unpleasant without the proper infrastructure, but when you have the entire planetary infrastructure geared around it being accessible and pleasant, that opens up a lot of fun things you can do.

I think I'd probably agree with a lot of people that the next big systems overhaul should definitely be Species. Even aside from the interface being a chugging mess there's a lot of potential there that's in practice not worth engaging with because of the micromanagement required.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 21, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like to think of it as like a ski lodge or even island resort; environments that actually would be pretty deadly and unpleasant without the proper infrastructure, but when you have the entire planetary infrastructure geared around it being accessible and pleasant, that opens up a lot of fun things you can do.

I think I'd probably agree with a lot of people that the next big systems overhaul should definitely be Species. Even aside from the interface being a chugging mess there's a lot of potential there that's in practice not worth engaging with because of the micromanagement required.

Please, Custodians, I beg you. As a genetic ascension lover, put an end to my pain.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
One of the really nice things about the cybernetic tree is just how quick you can get pop mods done. Seeing projects take 4-6 months instead of 4-6 years is really nice.

That said, this round is done. Maxed resources at 275k each energy/min/food/alloys, I opened the L cluster, got grey tempest and don't think the awakened empire even noticed. Contingency crisis took longer to bombard the hubs than finish the fleets. The awakened "won" the game, mostly because while I could probably stack enough to kill off their one of their 700k fleets, the effort to do that and even try and keep up with a dozen fleets popping out of the 50+ gateways at random would be annoying, more so when each of us own 40% of the Galaxy and I'd have to grind through something like 70+ planets to finish them off. Not fun, and not worth it. Declaring war and letting the AIs deal with it maybe.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 21, 2023

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Recent patch upped the All crisis scaling from 1.5x to 2x.

Does that mean 25-50-100 progression?

How the hell do you beat a 100x crisis. Like at that point you have to throw out all conventional design philosophy for ships, right? Don't bother wasting alloys on defensive modules because even your titans will be insta popping.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Mods.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Deuce posted:

How the hell do you beat a 100x crisis. Like at that point you have to throw out all conventional design philosophy for ships, right? Don't bother wasting alloys on defensive modules because even your titans will be insta popping.
Does extra X on the crisis cause stronger ships, or just more ships?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Deuce posted:

Take archaeo- perk, become the crisis, make only menacing destroyers that have full ancient nano missile cloud launchers, afterburners, and your favorite defensive component. (Components on menacing ships don't cost anything.) Also pray that Scourge isn't the last crisis, because this doesn't work all that well against them.

You will still lose a lot of ships, but they are very cheap to replace, and other than against the scourge, range + evasion works for defense.

ShadowHawk posted:

Does extra X on the crisis cause stronger ships, or just more ships?

Stronger. Specifically, stronger hull, armor and shields, and more damage per shot.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sorry to skip all 1700 pages but I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of a decent lets play of this here game as it looks cool and good

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Been feeling like playing Stellaris again, is there any DLC that's a must-pickup or strongly recommended? I have everything up to Federations, but nothing past that. GP looks interesting and I'll probably pick it up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

notaspy posted:

Sorry to skip all 1700 pages but I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of a decent lets play of this here game as it looks cool and good
It is both cool and good! I can't think of any recent LPs though. Maybe I'll make one and play as the Federation and try to be nice? I've been thinking about doing a tutorial-ish LP for a while.

Pylons posted:

Been feeling like playing Stellaris again, is there any DLC that's a must-pickup or strongly recommended? I have everything up to Federations, but nothing past that. GP looks interesting and I'll probably pick it up.
Nemesis lets you do espionage, which is nifty but not crucial. Unless you want that or to become the crisis and kill the whole galaxy, it's skippable. Overlord introduces Hyper Relays and Orbital Rings, with are both pretty major. Galactic Paragons is huge, you want the good leaders with the total overwork.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

It is both cool and good! I can't think of any recent LPs though. Maybe I'll make one and play as the Federation and try to be nice? I've been thinking about doing a tutorial-ish LP for a while.

Nemesis lets you do espionage, which is nifty but not crucial. Unless you want that or to become the crisis and kill the whole galaxy, it's skippable. Overlord introduces Hyper Relays and Orbital Rings, with are both pretty major. Galactic Paragons is huge, you want the good leaders with the total overwork.

Of this list, Overlord is probably the top pick. Hyper relays let you build space highways before unlocking actual gateway tech, and even with gateways the relays are still amazing defensive advantages since you no longer need to traverse the whole system at sublight to get to a jump point. I've had multiple situations where I couldn't catch a fleet/could run down an enemy fleet because of differences in relay access. (Letting my non-bulwark vassals remain neutral in wars was a huge mistake.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's lots of weird stuff in archaeological sites but I'm playing Space Egyptian kitties and feel the need to MAKE weird monuments to vanity and hubris. Megaprojects are one thing but I need resource sinks into massive testaments to my arrogance and tombs for my god-emperors.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Swapping a leader between fleets that are on opposite sides of the galaxy is funny, one Blorg just hogging all the experience.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

Swapping a leader between fleets that are on opposite sides of the galaxy is funny, one Blorg just hogging all the experience.

I imagine the leaders to be like Enders Game where they're all just sitting in some remote location passing the Xbox controller back and forth

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There was a summer DD talking about experimenting with big habitat changes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-306-habitat-experiments.1594678/

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Everyone's favourite Montu Plays made a video talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JYs2ccPipc

It could be cool. Not sure how a spread out habitat could work when it takes several days for a ship to travel across a solar system though. Painful commute. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RVWinkle posted:

I imagine the leaders to be like Enders Game where they're all just sitting in some remote location passing the Xbox controller back and forth

That just makes me think the bit in GotG2 where the drone pilots are all but literally all sitting at arcade booths, and everyone crowds around the last remaining one excitedly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Except the admiral dies when the fleet gets wiped out.

Ritual seppuku I guess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Poil posted:

Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted.

At least yours has energy weapons. I've never seen a starbase that wasn't all railguns.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Except the admiral dies when the fleet gets wiped out.

Ritual seppuku I guess.

Maybe it's like that one episode of Star Trek where war between two planets was virtual and everyone who "died" had to report to a disintegration chamber.

So after the fleet gets destroyed they get a text message that says
"Awww dang bro, you died :("

And then they're all like, "Awwww fiddlesticks" before hoping into a suicide booth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While I'm certain there's mods for it, it'd be nice if you could make your own custom Fallen Empires and other non-playable powers, even if just picking aesthetics and traits. Or even have a chance for player made empires to show up as them.

Really, in general while it'd certainly be a pain in the butt with DLC and everything, the game could maybe use more premade scenarios. I'm fairly sure the Star Trek spinoff will have them, that might be a good place to experiment.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I'm certain there's mods for it, it'd be nice if you could make your own custom Fallen Empires and other non-playable powers, even if just picking aesthetics and traits. Or even have a chance for player made empires to show up as them.

The game sort of does this already. Custom races will sometimes be fallen empires in game. No idea what controls it and you're probably right that there are mods to force it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really, in general while it'd certainly be a pain in the butt with DLC and everything, the game could maybe use more premade scenarios. I'm fairly sure the Star Trek spinoff will have them, that might be a good place to experiment.

I'm pretty sure most posts I've made in this thread have been asking for/complaining over the lack of some form of map or scenario editor. It's all well and good to be able to make a bunch of civs and throw em into a galaxy together but I want a bit more fine control like you're talking about.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Poil posted:

Everyone's favourite Montu Plays made a video talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JYs2ccPipc

It could be cool. Not sure how a spread out habitat could work when it takes several days for a ship to travel across a solar system though. Painful commute. :v:

It takes several days for a car to travel around the earth, people in the age of sail took several months to travel between outposts and cities, it can work

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
So far from what I've read, I like the proposed habitat changes. I like the idea of using habitats to turn an entire star system into whats essentially a mega city.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Honestly a good but also pretty funny evolution, given that Master of Orion 1 basically had you colonizing "systems" as opposed to planets, with each planet basically being an "expansion" of the system. They left this design in MOO2, and part of why I enjoyed Amplitude's work in the 4X genre was that they figured out this was the way to go for their Endless Space series. Really cuts down on the ridiculous micro once you start getting a big empire.

And now here we are again, rediscovering old design that was already proven to work. Kinda fitting for a game that does a lot with the concept of archeotech.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

toasterwarrior posted:

Honestly a good but also pretty funny evolution, given that Master of Orion 1 basically had you colonizing "systems" as opposed to planets, with each planet basically being an "expansion" of the system.

And sliders! No choosing individual tiles for production or buildings or whatnot! And you could, if you discovered no eco or planet shield or factory tech, adjust the sliders devoted to that empire-wide with one mouse click! Truly we have strayed from God’s light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

ulmont posted:

And sliders! No choosing individual tiles for production or buildings or whatnot! And you could, if you discovered no eco or planet shield or factory tech, adjust the sliders devoted to that empire-wide with one mouse click! Truly we have strayed from God’s light.

Sliders were always the path of righteousness