Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Warbreaker and Elantris sequels are both long overdue, feels like he will probably write them between Mistborn era three books since that's his next project while stormlight is on a small hiatus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm reasonably sure we will get a Warbreaker sequel between SA5 (coming out next year) and SA6. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Elantris 2 before SA6, either.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
And the next mistborn trilogy. After SL5 I don’t think we’ll see SL6 for 10 years.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Honesetly this Sanderlanche really slapped me in the face and didn't give me as many answers as I wanted. How did the royal blood line get some Returned blood if even the God King can't have children? Are the other God Kings really just on a farm somewhere? Is Austre real? Will Vasher get any more names? Will the government be less hosed up now?

There's no reason to doubt that the other God Kings really are sent off to a comfortable retirement. All of the others are good questions we don't know the answer to, except for one, which you'll get an answer to later. I'm not saying which one.

Good luck with TWoK, I hope you like it. As I've said before, Stormlight Archive is far and away my favorite Cosmere series, and I genuinely dislike TWoK. Series didn't click for me until WoR.

stramit posted:

And the next mistborn trilogy. After SL5 I don’t think we’ll see SL6 for 10 years.
To write five books? That's three years max, unless he gets bored and just cranks out four books in a year again.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

CapnAndy posted:

To write five books? That's three years max, unless he gets bored and just cranks out four books in a year again.

Hell, at the rate he writes, he might accidentally write one while waiting for pizza to show up one night.

I expect a John Henry-esc legend about him vs an AI writer in the future.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 21, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pointlessone posted:

Hell, at the rate he writes, he might accidentally write one while waiting for pizza to show up one night.

Kaladin suffered, the storm raged inside his stomach, why couldn't he speak up when the men ordered that pizza. If he could just open up to them about how he was lactose intolerant this whole thing could be avoided. Perhaps is was because he knew the lighteyes ordered their pizza without chull cheese because of their delicate constitutions and he didn't want to admit that he had anything else in common with them

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Based on things Brando’s said elsewhere, it takes about six months to do a Mistborn novel, so 18 months of work to do the next trilogy (he’s said each Stormlight book is like writing a trilogy of books). I expect him to write other books between those Mistborn books, and last I’d heard he was intending to do the two Elantris sequels as his ‘break’ from writing Mistborn. So probably two years -ish of working on other books. Then another 18 months to write SA6.

Now, whether he sneakily can fit a Warbreaker sequel in as well is anyone’s guess.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Every time he's talked about the next Mistborn trilogy, he's mentioned writing them back-to-back like the original trilogy.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The lost metal took about 11 months for writing editing beta reading, etc. Late 2022 his loose plan was ~5 years to write era 3 and Elantris 2 and 3, but that could change

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Every time he's talked about the next Mistborn trilogy, he's mentioned writing them back-to-back like the original trilogy.

He’s mentioned writing them all together and then releasing them, because it lets him make sure they’re consistent and foreshadowed properly. He’s also talked about writing other books in there too.

The end of this wob covers it; he actually describes it as five years of writing, so my timeline is a little short (lost metal spoilers): https://wob.coppermind.net/events/509/#e15991

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Now taking bets on when the first ghostwritten cosmere novel gets published, o/u is midnight on June 1 2029.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Now taking bets on when the first ghostwritten cosmere novel gets published, o/u is midnight on June 1 2029.

Depending on how you define ghostwritten, that’s already in the works. It’s why he hired Dan Wells to his company - to write the Cosmere novels he won’t have time to get to, although I believe it’s more of a co-authored situation and will be transparent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Going to lock Brandon to a typewriter. Get those 20ish books out in 3 months flat

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
There's enough existing text to fine-tune SandersonGPT

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I want Sanderson to get on the Rithmatist rewrite.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RDM posted:

I will burn down whatever data center hosts this monstrosity. Save your awful techno future until the good authors are all long dead.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the end of TWoK and WoR are some of my favorite parts of Cosmere works. I think the Sanderlanche at the end of WoR with The Tower is anime as hell and I’m here for it. Rhythm was fine, but TWoK and Oathbringer ruled cover to cover and WoR is pretty good.

Soy light is just different and I think you have to be more prepared for the slow burn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think Isåac Stewart, one of the artists is gonna get to write a Nazh novel at some point

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

RDM posted:

But somehow it ends up being slower at writing novels

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Rant time.

Now that pik_d is up to Stormlight Archive, I decided it's time to force myself through the prologue stuff and get to the book proper. I listened to most of the WoK Szeth prologue on my morning commute and no matter what, I just really hate it. I really hate this style of fantasy writing where every you get dumped into a dense lore moment with proper nouns dropped every other sentence. The prologue mentions multiple countries, multiple ethnic groups, multiple powers, along with religious connections and more. It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't do anything for the reader.

What is the point? What am I gaining from getting dumped into a dense lore moment with zero explanation of anything going on? And this is the second prologue.

It sucks!

Sanderson can do good prologues too! I feel like the prologue to The Final Empire is one of the best prologues I've ever read in a book. It gives a sense of place. It doesn't go heavy on powers. It doesn't drop too much jargon but still creates a sense of unknown mystery.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Rant time.

Now that pik_d is up to Stormlight Archive, I decided it's time to force myself through the prologue stuff and get to the book proper. I listened to most of the WoK Szeth prologue on my morning commute and no matter what, I just really hate it. I really hate this style of fantasy writing where every you get dumped into a dense lore moment with proper nouns dropped every other sentence. The prologue mentions multiple countries, multiple ethnic groups, multiple powers, along with religious connections and more. It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't do anything for the reader.

What is the point? What am I gaining from getting dumped into a dense lore moment with zero explanation of anything going on? And this is the second prologue.

It sucks!

Sanderson can do good prologues too! I feel like the prologue to The Final Empire is one of the best prologues I've ever read in a book. It gives a sense of place. It doesn't go heavy on powers. It doesn't drop too much jargon but still creates a sense of unknown mystery.

Yeah the Szeth prologue is a huge miss, the book gets better but it's one of the huge lowpoints of Stormlight.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
This is the same reason I keep giving up on RoW. I just got a grip on Roshar and I just can’t absorb the civics course on the cognitive realm. It made Oathbringer incredibly hard for me to finish too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Like, on a level, I totally get that there are people out there who want dense obtuse fantasy that you have to read the books three times over to understand anything that is going on. I've tried China Miéville. I've tried Malazan. It ain't for me.

Sanderson's writing other has a very easy-to-pick-up workman-like quality to it.

I'm curious how my opinion will change as I get into the book proper. But what is basically the first hour of the Way of Kings audiobook - the first almost 5% of the book proper, sucks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordiceius posted:

Rant time.

It sucks!

I'll collect my thoughts like usual later, but I will say the 2 (kinda 3) prologues did kinda throw me off. (WoK chapter 4)The time skip was very similar to The Eye of the World, which was funny, but hopping between 4 POVs right off the bat was a bit much.

I agree Szeth's was dense but honestly I approach these books with a feeling that if it's important I'll read it again later. I'm up to chapter 4 but already going back to the Szeth stuff already makes a tiny bit more sense.

Also I'm assuming this is a reread for you?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Also I'm assuming this is a reread for you?

Nah. The Stormlight Archive is the last big piece of Cosmere media I haven't read. I've done Elantris, Warbreaker, and all 7.5 Mistborn books.

I've done all of these books via audiobook and the 45+ hour length of the book was intimidating.

This also feeds into the frustration. You mention going back to the prologue to reference things - which is not an option when it's an audiobook I'm listening to while driving.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Spoilers for Stormlight 1-4: The Szeth prologue is there because it’s an incredibly important moment in the development of that world. It’s why Sanderson keeps going back to it in each book, giving us a different point of view and peeling back more layers about what seemed to be, what actually was, and what wasn’t happening. From an authorial standpoint, I know why the Szeth prologue is there. What I don’t know is if there was a way to give that same information without tossing the reader into a blender of capitalized nouns and worldbuilding details. What alternatives are there?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A different viewpoint character than Szeth could have worked, and would have made the first impression a bit less videogame tutorial-ey

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Big on screen prompt to Lash by holding RT and flicking the right stick

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Spoilers for Stormlight 1-4: The Szeth prologue is there because it’s an incredibly important moment in the development of that world. It’s why Sanderson keeps going back to it in each book, giving us a different point of view and peeling back more layers about what seemed to be, what actually was, and what wasn’t happening. From an authorial standpoint, I know why the Szeth prologue is there. What I don’t know is if there was a way to give that same information without tossing the reader into a blender of capitalized nouns and worldbuilding details. What alternatives are there?

More action and less lore.

Multiple different country names, political groups, and ethnicities are mentioned in the chapter and I could not tell you a single one of them right now.

I remember talk of light eyes and dark eyes but I have no clue who that was associated with. If an alien comes to earth, I'm not going to greet them with "Here is the current state of the geo-political climate of Europe and the Middle East"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
when i read a page in a fantasy book where a character expounds on the minutiae of local bureaucracies, my takeaway is not of the civic particulars, but that the character explaining them cares about them. if a whole bunch of places ive never heard of are mentioned, i do not think, “i should learn about those places.” instead i think, “if this is a good book, by a good writer, those places will become important at the same time that i learn more about them.”

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'll actually defend the prologue in that I think it's supposed to be impenetrable on a first read. In-universe, it's a really pivotal moment that came in completely without context and nobody understands it. You're being put in the same position, just dropped in way out of your depth and bombarded with information you can't process yet. Just understand that That Thing Happened, the actual exposition comes later. And the actual prologue is, honestly, basically the entire goddamn book.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
The prolog can stay mostly the same. Leave the weird law and stuff it’s fine to not understand names and countries. Drop the “Szeth double lashes the stone decreasing its weight” type stuff. Mood
Killer.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah SA seems intentionally obtuse because there's so much poo poo that feels off at first but it all gets explained somehow, and the payoffs are pretty satisfying. I remember how off it felt at the start of WoK by how alien Roshar was and how little sense it made that humans would have evolved there. Dumping all that exposition in a prologue or early on pays off for the attentive reader, I flip through the chapters pretty frequently to rediscover context for things that were hinted on earlier. That is to say, I can see how this isn't appealing to everyone especially those consuming the content via audiobook, but trickier to do that there.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

stramit posted:

The prolog can stay mostly the same. Leave the weird law and stuff it’s fine to not understand names and countries. Drop the “Szeth double lashes the stone decreasing its weight” type stuff. Mood
Killer.

The Lashing stuff was by far the easiest to understand.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I listened to the prologue as an audiobook and I didn’t have a problem with it at all, it just sounded like a cool action scene to me

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

The Lashing stuff was by far the easiest to understand.

Yeah. The lashing stuff made sense. It felt kinda like an adaptation of steelpush/ironpull except with a gravity focus.

It's the "Szeth is working for his masters who are <ethnic group> from <country> who have a bone to pick with <country>'s <other power>. And because <proper noun of unknown meaning>, Szeth had to do his duty." and poo poo like that. None of those words mean anything to me. I have already forgotten basically all of the names. I am all for mysteries in stories. I'm all for trying to find the missing piece to a narrative puzzle. The vague geo-political info-dumping when I have no understanding of the world and nothing connect anything to.

This is often easily done by having people to connect concepts too.

In that way - I think the Szeth prologue could have been improved by having him interact with anyone before the combat stuff. Give me some characters to match concepts with. Szeth is working for a group whose that starts with P? I think? Against something that sounds like the Arathi? gently caress if I can remember.

I still think that The Final Empire's prologue is a masterclass in an exciting, dynamic prologue that gives an intro to the world, introduces an important character, and doesn't overwhelm with information. We get to see a Noble and Obligator interact. We still don't understand the role of Obligator, but we can see they're important, government type and we have an image of what to image of those types. We see the relation between the Nobles and the Skaa. We see Kelsier interact with the Skaa, but not act like them. We already get a vibe for his character. We get a sense of him using some powers but not quite what they do, but enough to know that he's very powerful compared to those around him. Then we cut to the aftermath of what he did. That's more mystery. That's exciting. We see the potential of what could be done, the relation between the two major groups in book, and a vibe for one of the important figures in the book.

By the end of the Way of Kings prologue, I'm left more confused, feel like I know nothing of any major players. All I know is Szeth has some power and a valuable weapon and now an :orb:.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

We also know that Szeth can suck rocks

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

We also know that Szeth can suck rocks

Hahah. Yeah. Slurpin that Stormlight juice.

But this also goes to the problem with it. Stormlight is just another vague term that means nothing. Spren as well. Compared, again, to The Final Empire's prologue. How Kelsier did what he did is left a mystery, but one where you don't have jargon to keep track of. Like, I know Szeth has powers and I don't know how they work, but now I have multiple terms I'm trying to juggle while also trying to establish what this world even is.

WoK's prologue gives too much of the wrong information for a first time reader imo.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Honestly that part is mostly OK. I'm much more comfortable holding on to random magic system words than society/hierarchy words. The stuff you mentioned about random countries and peoples and ranks and stuff was the worst of it.

So I just ignored most of it the first time.

I skimmed it after reading a few chapters and it made more sense, and I'm sure it'll make even more sense after Part 1. I didn't have to do that with the other books, but it's ok, I'm much more into it now that I've read further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

But this also goes to the problem with it. Stormlight is just another vague term that means nothing. Spren as well.
The most I can say is that you are absolutely not supposed to know what those terms mean yet, and even saying that is dipping a toe into spoiler waters.

Szeth used powers nobody understands to do a Bad Thing for no apparent reason. The kingdom has blamed it on foreigners and gone to war about it. If you've got questions beyond that, well, join the club alongside everyone else living in that world.