Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Goddammit stop depicting war as an anthropomorphic figure like this. Wars don't just happen for no drat reason. They are not acts of God. Intentionally or not, it downplays the responsibility of politicians and other assorted demagogues that are actually causing wars.
There's a larger disconnect than usual because "what the gently caress is an 'Odessa'?"

Meanwhile, Russian speaking emigre media is all "for real, Odessa? The iconic city? So many stories? So many childhood vacations you took? You just don't give a gently caress?"

I don't even know what the American equivalent would be. Bombing Disneyworld, except it's a real place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FBS posted:

that's one tortured metaphor

The phrase is "out of the pan and into the fire" to mean going from one bad situation to worse situation. So let's count the issues:

- this is not that. This is just "in a bad situation"
- he specified it as a frying pan - is this because of the record heat? Mixing up news stories in a nonsensical way, if so. If not, then just unnecessary
- regardless, all florida is affected by the depicted issues, not just the pan handle
- they're in the pan, not the pan handle! The text is WRONG!!
- if that bit of florida is known as the pan handle that's because the rest of florida is the pan! So why is the pan bit of florida also depicted as part of the handle

Kellies nomination: Worst metaphor

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Microplastics posted:

The phrase is "out of the pan and into the fire" to mean going from one bad situation to worse situation. So let's count the issues:

- this is not that. This is just "in a bad situation"
- he specified it as a frying pan - is this because of the record heat? Mixing up news stories in a nonsensical way, if so. If not, then just unnecessary
- regardless, all florida is affected by the depicted issues, not just the pan handle
- they're in the pan, not the pan handle! The text is WRONG!!
- if that bit of florida is known as the pan handle that's because the rest of florida is the pan! So why is the pan bit of florida also depicted as part of the handle

Kellies nomination: Worst metaphor

"Out of the frying pan and into the fire" is a very common form of that phrase. I got nothing against the rest of your points though.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Hopefully giant Desantis will burn his hand on the metal Florida shaped Frying pan handle....

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Al Goodwyn

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Gary Markstein

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Chris Britt

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
""Let's help to rebuild a country being bombed" - A Bad Man" - Tom Stiglich

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

I'll give Goodwyn this: that's the most car-looking car I've can remember seeing in this thread.

(Probably a major keep that it doesn't have a roof, though.)

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

idonotlikepeas posted:

Mike Thompson

I don't get this one.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Tibalt posted:

I don't get this one.

"They made the Barbie movie too woke, what's next trans GI Joe?"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I read it as "People are going out to see Barbie in huge numbers despite Republicans calling for boycotts because ~feminism~, so Hollywood pushing their culture war buttons even harder to spite them would be funny."

Weird message, I guess, but I'd put it under "a little confused but has the spirit". I could be wrong in my interpretation though!

Korthal
May 26, 2011

That's what I got from it, and I think that's the correct way to read it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah, I don't think it's anti-trans because GI Jo isn't built like a linebacker and doesn't have a five o'clock shadow, but like... What?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Putting the brakes on by Luo Jie

Dollar hegemony by Song Chen

Charlie Hebdo

Marseillens have to deal with minimum police service
"We only get halfway beaten up."
Some Marseille cops beat someone up and got arrested for excessive violence.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's anti-trans because GI Jo isn't built like a linebacker and doesn't have a five o'clock shadow, but like... What?

I think this thread has just traumatized us to the point where we're not used to trans people being portrayed in even a neutral manner.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Dollar hegemony by Song Chen

Those shears don't work.

Tibalt posted:

"They should make more movies with positive trans representation, at least in part because it would trigger the regressives." I think.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Curbed Emissions

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Unlike the virtuous Romans who practiced infanticide for rational reasons only.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also there's a difference between sacrificing and eating them. Not all offerings were fully burned (the original sense of the word holocaust), sometimes you sacrifice the spiritual part of the offering to the god and still get to eat the tasty part.

Accusations that people were eating infants are either people who practised the second form with animals hearing about the first and assuming, or just accusing your enemies of the worst thing you can think of.

ofc most modern conspiracy flavors descend from the blood libel against Jews, where various religious commands about Jewish ritual slaughter (of kosher animals) were similarly warped into antisemitic rumors.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Political Cartoons 2023: NUBILE TEENS

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

Putting the brakes on by Luo Jie

Another tally for the "make the US look badass" column. Also, the "US Companies" looks to be added in post- I wonder if those are meant to be specific caricatures.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

"I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Betsy Hydes on Rishi Sunak’s urban housebuilding plans – Prime minister promises new focus on inner-city housebuilding projects"

Telegraph:

Tories clash over ‘nonsense’ Cambridge expansion

Matt:

Travel firms told they ‘must not fail’ Britons stranded after Rhodes wildfires

Times:

Evening Standard:

2030 ban on new petrol car sales is immovable, insists Gove

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I think this thread has just traumatized us to the point where we're not used to trans people being portrayed in even a neutral manner.

I think the cartoon is demanding a Christine Jorgensen biopic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Guardian:

"Betsy Hydes on Rishi Sunak’s urban housebuilding plans – Prime minister promises new focus on inner-city housebuilding projects"

I think the cartoonist might be an actual child this time.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Ah, yes, the famous pronoun, "nonbinary"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kellies Nomination: Most Deliberately Ignorant

First one because you drat well know that "we measured the famously hot thing and it's now even hotter than we expected" is a very good way of measuring for bad things in an engineering context, so gently caress you.

Second one because

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Ah, yes, the famous pronoun, "nonbinary"
and I know you know that so gently caress you too Payne.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The latest in global warming denialism is mocking the libs for thinking 95°F (roughly 35° C) is too hot. Naturally, they are too ignorant or deceptive to acknowledge that these were wet bulb temperatures, which take evaporative cooling into effect. That means the temps are 95° AFTER your body does everything it can to keep you cool from sweating. It’s roughly 150° F (around 65° C) air temperature, although this varies on the humidity.

It’s basically the limit at which a human can survive outside unaided. And not in death valley, but places like Georgia. It’s, you know, a touch alarming that certain regions have heat waves that are rendering the area uninhabitable without AC.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I checked the heat shield on my lawnmower and it's 20 degrees hotter than normal Glenn!"
"Well it's not called the cold shield is it Gary!"
"Ha ha good one"
*both brothers died in a gasoline explosion*

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Political Cartoons 2023: NUBILE TEENS

Another tally for the "make the US look badass" column. Also, the "US Companies" looks to be added in post- I wonder if those are meant to be specific caricatures.
The chinatoons in general just seem like the most depressingly transparent and predictable things, even by political cartoon standards. Just...endlessly self-serving and filled to bursting with a constant, screaming undertone that in the end the only actual problem the cartoon has with the purported actions of the countries being lampooned is that it isn't the author's country doing it instead, who surely deserves to be the big stupid rear end in a top hat with outsized global importance more than THOSE jerks. There's technical skill in the artists behind them, but they're putting drawings on top of a message that's as dull and empty as any one of Gorrell's patented big white blank spaces labelled 'JOE BIDEN'S PLAN TO FIX THE ECONOMY/NUMBER OF TROOPS WILLING TO SERVE IN WOKE ARMY/ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH CROWNING TRUMP DICTATOR FOR LIFE.'

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lmao I just did this post in the biosphere collapse thread

Microplastics posted:

They didn't call it COMFORTABLE valley, did they???

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Of course it's hot it's summer right now"

*6 months later*

"If global warming is real why is it cold right now?"

*6 months later*

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

*6 months later*

*6 months later*

*7 months later*

*5 months later*

“Of course it's hot it's summer right now"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Drakyn posted:

The chinatoons in general just seem like the most depressingly transparent and predictable things, even by political cartoon standards. Just...endlessly self-serving and filled to bursting with a constant, screaming undertone that in the end the only actual problem the cartoon has with the purported actions of the countries being lampooned is that it isn't the author's country doing it instead, who surely deserves to be the big stupid rear end in a top hat with outsized global importance more than THOSE jerks. There's technical skill in the artists behind them, but they're putting drawings on top of a message that's as dull and empty as any one of Gorrell's patented big white blank spaces labelled 'JOE BIDEN'S PLAN TO FIX THE ECONOMY/NUMBER OF TROOPS WILLING TO SERVE IN WOKE ARMY/ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH CROWNING TRUMP DICTATOR FOR LIFE.'

I'd found some details of the how and why of their process last year:

Discendo Vox posted:

I recently found a mid-length graphic depiction by, iirc, an australian cartoonist who had the chance to talk with one of the China Daily cartoonists about their work- specifically the lead of their cartooning team. Regrettably I can't find it atm. Among the information disclosed, the cartoonist indicates that they're working in a team studio under his supervision, and that all cartoons are produced under tight deadline and require advance review by managers from the party, which means that if one is rejected, they have to revise them with virtually zero time. This is likely a factor in how screwy the China Daily cartoons are: the cartoonists are pressured to "play it safe" by repeating the exact messages intended for distribution in that cycle over and over, and everyone involved has very little perspective of their target audience's viewpoints and reasoning outside the state-controlled media bubble in China (and, of course, if they did, they can't safely exercise it)! The result is really technically skilled people producing propaganda that is, in function, frequently reflective of their domestic information limitations to the point of being completely ineffective.

In retrospect it's clear that the dude was also trying to recruit the interviewing cartoonist to work for them as a domestic proxy, so his statements (I hear you're currently unemployed, by the way here's a big glossy book of our output, you should share it with your friends) have to be taken with caution.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

*6 months later*

*6 months later*

I don’t know if they can even do “why cold!” this go around. I’m in Rhode Island and we had basically zero snow and it’s already projected we’re going to have another very mild winter. Like those of us living in typical snowy regions are noticing little to no snow year over year now

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah they'll still do it as long as there's somewhere in the world where it snows at least once. Not to mention all the erratic weather caused by global warming that will actually cause some places to be unseasonably cold.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Tina Garrison posted:

“I’M A BARBIE GIRL, IN A BARBIE WORLD”
Cartoon published 07/25/2023

As far as summer blockbusters go, “Indiana Jones” just got beat up by a doll dressed in pink. That’s right—the “Barbie” movie has become the hit of the summer.

“Come on Barbie, let’s go party!”

Hollywood was desperate for a win this summer, and thanks to a viral TikTok campaign, Barbie had an impressive opening weekend. Twelve year-old girls and their mothers flocked to the theater to escape the heat and see Barbie give Ken, her plastic boyfriend, the cold shoulder.

Join Us on Subscribe Star, We canceled Patreon because of their censorship- Support Cartoons see New Cartoons Early before Public release!

Barbie always had a ‘problematic’ side according to the feminists. How dare little girls cherish a doll that they could accessorize with endless fashion outfits and multiple careers? Lawyer Barbie, Doctor Barbie, Marine Biologist Barbie…Barbie could be and do anything imaginable. What’s wrong with that?

It’s boring, that’s what! Woke Hollywood wanted a completely revamped Barbie for 2023.

So now we have Antifa Barbie, Depressed Barbie, Stripper Barbie, Eating Disorder Barbie, and of course, Trans Barbie, who makes a special appearance in the “Barbie” Movie. Can’t have a hit movie these days without some rainbow and trans-whatever propaganda shoved into it.

We almost forgot, Abortionist Barbie. The movie cleverly sticks that nugget in with a scene of little girls bashing their baby doll’s heads into rocks, singing ‘we don’t have to be mothers anymore.’ Subtle.

And sick.

We don’t want to give away any spoilers, but we don’t think our audience is going to flock to see this pink nightmare (sorry Ralphie). However, you can be sure the normies will.

Let’s stay in touch! Sign Up for Our GrrrNewsletter today! View Now

The “Barbie” movie is one long TikTok video of the pink police state saying all men are bad. There, I just saved you $15 dollars.

You’re welcome.

—Tina

Kellies nomination: Most easily reinterpreted
Kellies nomination: Worst caricature. Mulvaney looks like Caitlyn Jenner in that South Park episode.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah they'll still do it as long as there's somewhere in the world where it snows at least once. Not to mention all the erratic weather caused by global warming that will actually cause some places to be unseasonably cold.

I live in The Netherlands. Ice skating is a major part of our national culture. The last twenty years or so, even at the height of winter, skating on natural ice has been all but impossible. When it does happen, it's usually on way too thin ice, and only for a day or two. It's actually a running joke that this only makes us better at speed skating, because people learn to outrace the cracks. And without fail, those two or three days with actual ice are then held up as proof that everything is fine, in spite of the fact that we've gone from skating season lasting at least two weeks to being lucky if we get two days a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes Tina, that's right. One of those is a real woman and the other is a plastic toy. Good job.