Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm honestly surprised I found a palce where people actually liked the dumb and lovely hbo watchmen series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Haven't seen that one. I only watched the good and cool HBO Watchmen series.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

MonsieurChoc posted:

This video goes into why the original Cats musical is alright, and how the movie shits all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aK-EK5V2k

Both are good in their own rights. The stage musical is an brilliant extravaganza about something that shouldn't work but somehow does. The movie is a Lovecraftian concoction full of inexplicably bad direction, special effects, and artistic choices. You watch the former to see something good, you watch the latter to laugh your rear end off.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Parkingtigers posted:

"I am all the Sith"

"And I... am all the Jellicles"

Magical Mister Mistoffelees would have sent Sheev's Force lightning back up his own rear end with the magical turn.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm honestly surprised I found a palce where people actually liked the dumb and lovely hbo watchmen series.

Bugblatter posted:

Haven't seen that one. I only watched the good and cool HBO Watchmen series.

Good news it has both because it started cool and ended poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Correct. It is both good and bad, with most of the good up top and most of the bad toward the end. Even the bad stuff was ambitious, though, and it attempted to do something new and interesting with the material, so overall I'm glad it exists. Compared with the comic sequels from a decade ago, it's night and day.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I definitely respect that it tried something and it was very successful for about 2/3 of the show, but yeah it dropped all the interesting stuff and devolved into boring nonsense at the end there.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I didn't realize people disliked Watchmen and now I'm reading through the negative audience reviews on RT and very few of these opinions seem like they should be taken seriously. Lots of people upset that racists would like Rorschach.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIxpPMyGcpU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Eh... first impression isn't good. We're long past the time when that lower pitch overlay on the kid's voice in the church stopped being scary, and it's not a good sign when they start explaining the concept of exorcism in the trailer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Correct. It is both good and bad, with most of the good up top and most of the bad toward the end. Even the bad stuff was ambitious, though, and it attempted to do something new and interesting with the material, so overall I'm glad it exists. Compared with the comic sequels from a decade ago, it's night and day.

I liked Darwyn Cooke's series. God, he was great.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Watchmen was a really interesting take on the IP and what happened before and after the events of the comic, especially doing it from the point of view of minorities. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know about the Tulsa Massacre before the show, so I'll always be beholden to it for that. The ending felt super rushed, though. There was a lot they had to wrap up at the end, so some of the vamping they did with Ozymandias in his bubble world in the beginning felt superfluous. I also kept waiting for Nite Owl to show up since they kept teasing all his gadgets.

Also, I think it's pretty funny that Don Johnson is a solid go-to for racist white guy. He nailed the part in Machete, and got to reprise the role in Watchmen. Lol.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, I think it's pretty funny that Don Johnson is a solid go-to for racist white guy. He nailed the part in Machete, and got to reprise the role in Watchmen. Lol.

Django Unchained too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And also in Django Unchained and Eastbound and Down

Both horrible racist rear end in a top hat characters lol

Edit: and knives out

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My dream role for Don Johnson is as Snowflame in one of James Gunn's DC properties

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sorry, I'll stick with more sophisticated fare like Shark Exorcist or Amityville Exorcism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeMadjM0ZZI

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

And also in Django Unchained and Eastbound and Down

Both horrible racist rear end in a top hat characters lol

Edit: and knives out

and Brawl in Cell Block 99, and Dragged Across Concrete

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

My dream role for Don Johnson is as Snowflame in one of James Gunn's DC properties
:hai:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Exorcist is my favorite horror movie.

This looks like poo poo. If you can't conjure up a single creepy moment in a trailer, I have very little hope for your movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

god the amount of work we put in on that trailer lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only thing I don't like is the repeated small sample cut offs of the original theme. That seemed a bit silly. The little girl in the church looked very Evil Deady which is fun.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

trailer 2 is much scarier but still, it isn't Evil Dead.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kiimo posted:

god the amount of work we put in on that trailer lol

tbh I don't think there is anything you can do to make David Gordon Green movies look good.

I still think about "Evil dies tonight!" from one of his Halloween movies. I watched that movie alone in my living room one day and I was dying laughing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am pro david gordon green movies because even when they aren't good at least i get to be baffled at halloween ends having bizarre romance subplots.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

kiimo posted:

trailer 2 is much scarier but still, it isn't Evil Dead.

I've had a question I've been meaning to ask in here: In your experiences, what percentage of the 'final' film do you typically have access to for each step of the advertisement process?

Teaser?
First full Trailer?
Second/Final trailer?

I feel like there's teasers that come out while the film is still being shot. In those instances, do you have access to the script to try and fit a tone, or do you just kinda wing it with what you have?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Script comes first

then editor's assembly

then the first feature reel

then subsequent feature reels, sometimes up to like 7 or 8 before the feature is locked.

But then there can be pick up shots to supplement it. There are often times that the film hasn't wrapped when the first teaser comes out. Also VFX can go on right up until release

Or in the case of, oh let's go with Green Lantern, never finish.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

it started out pretty good but man did it collapse in quality

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

kiimo posted:

Script comes first

then editor's assembly

then the first feature reel

then subsequent feature reels, sometimes up to like 7 or 8 before the feature is locked.

But then there can be pick up shots to supplement it. There are often times that the film hasn't wrapped when the first teaser comes out. Also VFX can go on right up until release

Or in the case of, oh let's go with Green Lantern, never finish.

So when you're doing the trailers, do you typically have access to the full, most-recent feature reel?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not only that, but the dailies. Whatever shots we choose though need to be finished and colored though and sometimes the production / editorial pushes back on that.

And watching dailies can sometimes give you a false sense of "this movie is going to be good or bad" and you don't really know until you see it finished which is why some idiotic goons can say things like "Pixels is a good movie" and "Argo looks like trash" and then they switch places by the end and said goon stops giving up those kinds of opinions on the forums.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Neat - thanks for the insight. I do appreciate the glimpses into the work, for sure.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would get fired so fast from burning time watching dailies when I didn't need to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seriously, I'd love that so much

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1683865445449838594

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We are not allowed to overtly reference the 1973 film in any way so

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I worked on a 2005 horror feature film where the editor was told to start cutting a trailer on day 4 of principal photography, and they subsequently ended up 2 weeks behind in dailies. That is, they stopped cutting scenes for over a week, which is generally not a good idea when you're in production.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

They should reference all the knock-offs (Exorcismo, Beyond The Door, Demon Witch Child, Abby, Repossessed, etc.).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AceOfFlames posted:

No idea who's voicing him, but Snowflame is in season four of Harley Quinn, so the character is at least on someone's mind at DC right now.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

kiimo posted:

When you say “we” do you mean the marketing, or also the movie itself? If the latter that’s wild

(Did notice that the 1970s Ellen Burstyn footage doesn’t appear to be from the original film, either).

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Warm up an extra bowl of pea soup, we're gonna two old priests and two young priests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ehud posted:

The Exorcist is my favorite horror movie.

This looks like poo poo. If you can't conjure up a single creepy moment in a trailer, I have very little hope for your movie.

Yeah, honestly, it's likely going to suffer even more because it'll inevitably invite comparisons to one of the greatest films ever made (how could it not?). Probably would have been better off not being tied into the Exorcist series, IMO.

It'll probably be better than Exorcist 2, but that's not really saying a great deal is it?