Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

bob dobbs is dead posted:

never heard of manufacturing or insurance paying well for touchers

and all three are nexuses of insane bullshit, touching-wise

Insurance rocks and pays just fine ime - it’s a profitable and laid back vertical.

Manufacturing is the ninth circle of hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
says in levels.fyi that geico pays median 120k tc (as low as 66k) and state farm pays median 110k tc for dev?

median salary in figgielands prime and secondus are about at 230k so all you'd need to do is move and get a median job to double that

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 23, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Not familiar with how either of those companies operate and I don’t see any insurance companies I’ve worked with on levels so I can’t really help you out here.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

says in levels.fyi that geico pays median 120k tc (as low as 66k) and state farm pays median 110k tc for dev?

median salary in figgielands prime and secondus are about at 230k so all you'd need to do is move and get a median job to double that

you also don't have to talk to sf dipshits, basically ever

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you're giving up half for that privilege, not an insignificant amount, is the rub

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah i’ve consulted for all three and did not get that impression either. insurance was particularly bad in terms insane bullshit as well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

doublecame

is this a sex thing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kernel Sanders posted:

my one weird trick is to work at places that developers think are boring - banks, insurance companies, manufacturing. they pay well, don’t understaff and i never think about work outside of work.

same, op

highly recommend

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

figgyland prime COL means 120k in not SV is probably the same or similar spending power as $230k in SV

$175k in the Midwest is very comfortable

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I make $150k tangential to finance and apart from ~1 month/year its very chill with no on call.

I'm also fully remote and moving and they're not trying to pull any col adjustment shenanigans on me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what will happen to his cost of living in that arrangement

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

post hole digger posted:

what will happen to his cost of living in that arrangement

even if it doubles, you've still doubled your discretionary/savings/entertainment budget

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
doubles if they buy land, increases like 30% if they dont

so thats just volume CXVII in "land is a gently caress"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Sapozhnik posted:

if i wanted to be overworked, underpaid, and getting regularly screamed at by coked-up rich assholes i'd go work for a local restauranteur

(j/k i'm just giving you a hard time. i know that a lot of startups can be cool but it's not for me)

i know a lot of people irl who say this kind of stuff about startups but i think y'all are all underestimating how easy it is to convince a coked up rich assole that you're working 80 hour weeks and crushing it while working 18 hour weeks and playing hella video games

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
startups have the law of small numbers going on. you got the 80 hr week places and you got the 18 hr week places

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Corla Plankun posted:

i know a lot of people irl who say this kind of stuff about startups but i think y'all are all underestimating how easy it is to convince a coked up rich assole that you're working 80 hour weeks and crushing it while working 18 hour weeks and playing hella video games

i do the same thing but don't have my livelihood tied to said coked up rich rear end in a top hat

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

As someone who does tech in a spinoff division of manufacturing [company makes $BIG_INDUSTRIAL_PART, our division makes sensors that fit in $PART and the attendant software], it's a very 'as above, so below' situation that's dependent on the company culture.

If the factory floor treats their employees well, the computer touchers will also probably be treated well.

Fortunately, I am in just such a place. :)

You might be paid less than tech, admittedly, but for me it's incredibly worth it for the peace of mind I get (4 days remote, can take any amount of unpaid time off after I run out of PTO, nice boss).

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kernel Sanders posted:

...manufacturing...
...don’t understaff and i never think about work outside of work.

Gonna have to disagree with this one. I mean, I'm sure there are some decent places to work but for a lot of them "efficiency" means having the bare minimum of staff and resources.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i just got assigned a 3.5 hour online assessment for an internship application

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
18 hrs a week sounds exhausting

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

18 hrs a week sounds exhausting

i assume it comes with 80% extra pay for the additional effort

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lord fifth posted:

i just got assigned a 3.5 hour online assessment for an internship application

that's a lot of leetcode

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

lots of ways you can be asked to reverse a linked list

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

KidDynamite posted:

that's a lot of leetcode

apparently it's 2 hours of programming challenges, 1 hour of computing knowledge quiz questions, and 0.5 hours of gamified aptitude testing. all for the chance of possibly being considered for an interview. i hate this industry

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

computer touching interviews are bad. and then you have academia. and then you have academia _in the humanities_

the shitshow there is a big reason for why i touch computers

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
cs academia can be a shitshow at times, and these are mostly people who could have easily gone into industry for significantly higher pay. i can't imagine how bad it must be in the humanities

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
had my white-boarding workshop interview today.

I guess I did good? did my best to involve everyone. now I wait

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

computer touching interviews are bad. and then you have academia. and then you have academia _in the humanities_

the shitshow there is a big reason for why i touch computers

science academia is the same. The boss is the worst genx person to have ever lived and his wife just happens to also have been his phd student when they met don't worry about it.

Also you can't publish without eating his boot

also your only metric is how much you publish

so anyway I touch computers for a living

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

cs academia can be a shitshow at times, and these are mostly people who could have easily gone into industry for significantly higher pay. i can't imagine how bad it must be in the humanities

Don't go, no jobs, die alone.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i liked academia except for the part where oops the grant disappeared and we can’t pay you. which is why i left.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

raminasi posted:

i liked academia except for the part where oops the grant disappeared and we can’t pay you. which is why i left.

So game development is academia?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I liked academia other than the whole publishing papers part. But as champagne posting pointed out, "your only metric is how much you publish". Whoops. Glad to never have to write another paper or deal with reviewer comments again.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my favorite thing was when i wrote a good paper, sent it off to a journal, they sat on it for over a year, and then the reviewer rejected and gave me poo poo for not reading a book that said the same thing

that book/finding was not preceded by a paper, and it came out 10 months after i submitted my paper

im relatively sure that the book's author was the reviewer and just sat on my paper so they could be the one who noticed the thing. and that's charitably assuming they actually independently discovered it and didn't bite my paper wholesale

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i had a single low-effort journal review take nearly three years to materialize once. luckily at a point where it didn't matter much to me to have the thing hanging, but obviously for a lot of people that can basically gently caress your career.

e: it was such a maddening review when it arrived too, went through 2/3s of the paper going "this is just obvious", then arriving at the proof which was hopelessly overcomplicated, to the point where the submission was a bit of a gamble that we'd get some input on how to make it comprehensible, the reviewer just stopped giving comments. almost certainly one of the many sufferers of the syndrome where they cannot value any knowledge if it is not at the very limits of their ability to comprehend it, doesn't matter what it is as long as it is very difficult.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 27, 2023

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

everyone should just post to free journals like arxiv instead of the terrible money machines that are Nature et al. Quality of papers clearly don't matter to them (at least not for my field which is extremely hit or miss) so why not just post papers wherever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

champagne posting posted:

everyone should just post to free journals like arxiv instead of the terrible money machines that are Nature et al. Quality of papers clearly don't matter to them (at least not for my field which is extremely hit or miss) so why not just post papers wherever

while i wont defend the old way, the arxiv route is kind of rapidly falling apart in my area, with a lot of absolute garbage being revised over and over in public to establish primacy for a half-baked idea.

e: and somewhat obviously the *real* issue is the publication pressure, with some open access (which seems to be happening, a lot of funding orgs requiring it) and cutting down the number of papers treated by 80-90% the old system would be fine

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 27, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

champagne posting posted:

If you're not already established then you really need endorsements of some kind to get people to read what you write. I'm doing research on my own and I'd just as happily never submit anything again but I think I need at least a few journal papers to establish myself, so I get to deal with all that crap again. :smithicide:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i feel like the world wide web was literally designed to allow academics to publish and share their results

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rotor posted:

i feel like the world wide web was literally designed to allow academics to publish and share their results

yeah, but

publish or perish, only you can only publish in the journal your section head likes and if he's old, and he is gonna be real old, he's gonna mandate you publish only in this one journal he likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah i mean i get it, just sayin its very weird to me that academia doesnt self-publish. Get with the program. eggheads.